Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited September 2020

a lot of those tools have options in tne righthand tab, I know I had lots of issues doing pathsweeps that tapered oddly until it was pointed out there are several options for how it sweeps, I am on my ipad at the moment in bed so cannot look blush

using smoothing and creasing on edges does wonders too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823
    edited September 2020

in Carrara when you create the cube with object definition set to 1 then soften edges you then delete the top and using just the edge selection select the four edges then use the fillet tool.. adjust the settings of the fillet tool to suit in this example I used Range set to 2 and Radius to 4..

then I used the extract along tool to model the edges that extrude yes

Fillet edges.jpg
    958 x 643 - 57K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
    edited September 2020

Thank you Stezza. I have just have one question what do you mean by soften the edges. Never mind I got it.

Post edited by Zach Wilson on
  • I'm not a great modeler and I only want to create a simple extruded object, nothing complicated. I prefer to use the spline modeler instead of the vertex modler because the pen tool is a Bezier and my object is a combination of curves and sharp points. I have done a hand sketch and I'm trying to trace it, but I can't seem to find a way to put my scan into the spline modeler as a background. It's easy to do in the vertex room, but then I don't have the pen tool. 

I do remember reading that you can copy and paste between modelers, but that isn't working for me. Any advice?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

I'm not a great modeler and I only want to create a simple extruded object, nothing complicated. I prefer to use the spline modeler instead of the vertex modler because the pen tool is a Bezier and my object is a combination of curves and sharp points. I have done a hand sketch and I'm trying to trace it, but I can't seem to find a way to put my scan into the spline modeler as a background. It's easy to do in the vertex room, but then I don't have the pen tool. 

I do remember reading that you can copy and paste between modelers, but that isn't working for me. Any advice?

For spline modeler, the only reference I know of is illustrator files, as per Jamy's comment here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/167761/import-eps-or-ai-into-carrara-spline-modeler

edited September 2020

I'm not a great modeler and I only want to create a simple extruded object, nothing complicated. I prefer to use the spline modeler instead of the vertex modler because the pen tool is a Bezier and my object is a combination of curves and sharp points. I have done a hand sketch and I'm trying to trace it, but I can't seem to find a way to put my scan into the spline modeler as a background. It's easy to do in the vertex room, but then I don't have the pen tool. 

if you do use the vertext model room this plugin for Carrara by Philemeo may help you out 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/259016/new-plugin-cutouts-and-blimps

Post edited by Stezza on
  • Stezza,

I've used Philemeo's Cutout plugin before. I'll give it a try. 

Thanks.

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,031
    edited September 2020

Does anbody know of a good Carrara boat or airplane modeling tutorial, possibly on Youtube?

Post edited by mcorr on
    edited September 2020

- Generic

* Cripeman free video ruled surfaces tool (eg., for hull of boat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_gq7DHd9k&t=23s

* car hood Daz Hexagon tutorial but tools almost identical to Carrara  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJyyrA_l8WE&list=PL2flR9pHBWp7q90bRJw0cH6KJwByVrB7l&index=64

- Specific to modeling an airplane

* used book with disc of files - Mike De La Flor's Carrara 5 Pro Handbook - should be able to get used at a cheap price

* video - PhilW's Carrara video tutorial series includes making a plane - not sure where to get it now - covers much more than the plane, but goes into great detail on modeling and rigging the plane - available through O'Reilly training, see attached

mike de la flor carrara handbook.jpg
    351 x 478 - 35K
    Philw 02.jpg
    1223 x 965 - 173K
    philw 03.jpg
    1208 x 848 - 161K
    philw 01.jpg
    1028 x 897 - 78K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2020

You guys are awesome .... thanks!

Another question I have concerns the set up of the picts that are "glued" on the walls of a vertex object that are used as guidelines for modeling. Take a look at the attached screenshot. I can't figure out why the selected red vertexes are not equally long on the top and the side views. Both imported (glued) picts are exactly the same pixel length and resolution, so there is no misalignment on those counst. Any ideas what is going on here? Without a proper alignment, I don't think I can get far regarding modeling.

Edit: one other thing, doies anybody know how to turn a vertex point into a bezier curve point in Carrara?

Screenshot 2020-09-29 145001.png
    1413 x 911 - 525K
    Post edited by mcorr on

I'm not sure if this is the issue, but the zoom percentage of the two cameras are different.  See upper left of your pics.  That difference might be appropriate, so just a something to check.

Although I don't think the vertex modeler has bezier points, you can check a box for smoothing (it will smooth the entire contiguous mesh, not just the point).

There is a different modeler in Carrara called the spline modeler that has bezier points.  It looks like a wine glass from the top menu.  On the opther hand, I dopn't think the spline modeler has a slot for reference pics.

some spline references - https://carraracafe.com/tag/spline-modeler/page/2/

Diomede said:

I'm not sure if this is the issue, but the zoom percentage of the two cameras are different.  See upper left of your pics.  That difference might be appropriate, so just a something to check.

Although I don't think the vertex modeler has bezier points, you can check a box for smoothing (it will smooth the entire contiguous mesh, not just the point).

There is a different modeler in Carrara called the spline modeler that has bezier points.  It looks like a wine glass from the top menu.  On the opther hand, I dopn't think the spline modeler has a slot for reference pics.

some spline references - https://carraracafe.com/tag/spline-modeler/page/2/

It turns out that the zoom % being different play no role in the discrepancy. One way of checking that is to merely look at the end points of the vertex points shape. It covers the whole shap on the top, but only a percentage thereof on the bootom view, when it should (regardless of zoom %) cover the same span since both reference picts are the same length.

Also, thanks for your mention of the spline modele and the mesh smoothener!!

edited October 2020

Quad Police!

I have been working on my basic modeling and topology skills.  I have a question about beveled edges for models intended to be subdivided in the rendering program.  In deference to the quad police, I have been adding two full bracer loops just inside each edge and then applying smoothing.  This avoids triangles, avoids a slanted approach to the edge, and minimizes the stretch to UVMaps. The edge remains relatively sharp even under smoothing which may be undesired.

I saw a suggestion that beveling of the actual edge tolerate triangles if they are at the corners, and still include the second full bracer edge loop.  Under smoothing, the edge is more rounded.

Question - I am not so concerned about the degree of roundness to the edge - of course modelers should try to get the degree of roundness they want.  My question is about toleration of the triangles at the corners.  There seems to be a dismissal of the concerns of the quad police.  I am told that game engines, etc. use tris for everything anyway and that one should not be overly concerned about tris.  In this view, tris and quads are fine, as long as the edge loops, material zones, etc. are what you want. It is N-Gons greater than 4 that are the problem.

See corner triangle in attached pic

Modelers - what say you to the quad police?

zz01 beveled edge with triangle.jpg
    1655 x 806 - 128K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

mathematically they really don't make sense.

it's purely an aesthetic.

a face is always at least 3 points, anything more can be broken into a triangle by linking two, a quad is simply two adjacent faces in a parallel plane  to each other.

if wanting maximum curvature triangles are better than quadrilaterals.

both can be arranged to create sharp edges and creases

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • So much to learn... I took a vertex sphere and deleted the top half and deleted a much smaller part of the bottom then I scaled it up on the z axis. Next I selected the bottom edge loop and extruded it to the center then welded the points at the center to form the bottom of the base. Next I added thickness then I selected the inner and outer edge loops at the very top and bottom of the vase and used the excrate around tool. Then I added one level of smoothing. The model looks like I want it I just need to know how to fix faces at the top and bottom so the shader is not distorted in these areas.

css texture top.png
    1601 x 887 - 327K
    css wire top.png
    1601 x 887 - 582K
  • the UV mapping is more important than the topology for that,

planar two sided (or single if want same both sides) Z axis probably best but cylindrical could also work

edited March 2021

Back with another question. On this object can I merge all these individual faces into one face? What I did was delete the selected then selected the slected the remaining edges and filled polygon. Is that he best way to do that.

Part 2

I took a cylinder then used extract along on the top and bottom edge loops. Next I started to square of the outside edges of the cylinder by moving the vertices while in the top few. Next I selected all the polygons on one side and deleted them then selected the remaing edge loop and used fill polygon. I can tell by the shading of the large face I made that my edges aren't perfectly striaght is there a way to precisely adjust those vertices so the outer edge of my object will be a perfect square?

You can really tell when I but a primitve cube (left) versus my vertex object (right) I'm going to keep trying some other things but I need to straighten out those edges before I can continue with this model.

css cd.png
    1920 x 1080 - 493K
    css cd s1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 312K
    css cd s2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 533K
    css cd s3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 586K
    css cd s4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 351K
    edited March 2021

If you select several connected polygons and hit the backspace button, that will make them a single polygon.  

In attached, compare the two cubes.  They started out the same.  On the left, I selected 4 connected polygons.  On the right, I selected those same 4 and then hit backspace on my keyboard.

And anything that works is good.  So if selecting, deleting, then filling the polygon works, then it works.  yes   But you were probably thinking of backspace which I think is called 'dissolve' in Carrara.

ff01 dissolve.jpg
    1468 x 898 - 141K
    edited March 2021

Backspace is nicer thanks. I just updated with part 2 in my little adventure here.

• More questions smiley  When I do a test render of this model I see some smothing has been applied. I made sure the model has no smothing applied and I didn't see anything in the render settings that looked like a smoothing option. So does Carrara automaticaly apply some type of smoothing when rendering.

css cdnr.png
    1920 x 1080 - 384K
    css cdrender.png
    1920 x 1080 - 376K

you need to define the edges by creasing them or extracting around them for a less sharper edge. wink

edited March 2021

Thanks that did the trick. I'm watching some tutorials on Yutube now about 3d topology, edgeloops, rerouting edge flow, etc... making my brain hurt... but then so does having to count past 10 :)

css cdfixed.png
    1920 x 1080 - 310K
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited March 2021

brother grim said:

More questions smiley  When I do a test render of this model I see some smothing has been applied. I made sure the model has no smothing applied and I didn't see anything in the render settings that looked like a smoothing option. So does Carrara automaticaly apply some type of smoothing when rendering.

Check this option.  Only effects smoothing at render time 

smooth.JPG
    244 x 468 - 30K
    Post edited by ProPose on
  • Modeling with symmetry question. I modeled half of this object then duplicated with symmetry to make the other half. Now I want to model with symmetry on the y axis but instead of the symmetry plane appearing in the middle of the object it is offset to the left an any edits I make are not mirrored at all.

Mirror Problems.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 532K

Might be a couple of different things.  Some issues to check.

- did you reset the working box after duplicate-with-symmetry?

- did you reselect the entire mesh and use center-symmetry-on-selection (or it might be on object or other words to that effect)?

- did you weld the duplicated result (although I don't think that should matter, but check)?

• Thanks. I forgot to center-symmetry-on-selection mainly because I didn't know it was there. :) 

edited April 2021

Path sweep question time. The first picture is my setup and I expected the circle to sweep up but... as you can see it sweeps downwards. Still no idea why this is happening I've read the path sweep part in the manual several times and the example it show has the resulting paths going up. I've drawn different interpolated curves, moved the curve away from the oval to be swept, same thing it sweeps down. I only see four options with the path tool plus the link polygons checkbox. are there any other settings?

Sweep Profile.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 448K
    Sweep Object.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 470K