Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• Hi all, guest here. John, wgdjohn, was my uncle, unfortunately we lost him right before Christmas for unknown/unexpected reasons and right before that his computer was having issues so he was unable to join you all on here. I know he loved his daz3d community so much, it was one of his favorite hobbies. A buddy of his and myself are trying to connect with some of you on his forums to let you know he won’t be back. Scrolling through here makes my heart happy seeing everyone looking out. Keep up the hard work with your creations. Much love - niece Tina <3

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Oh my gosh, such sad news.  I am shattered.  All of my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  John (wgdjohn) was an absolute joy here on the Carrara forum.  We have been worried about him with the long silence.  I had sent him a private message (PM) through the forum software but didn't hear back.  I know others had reached out.  With your permission, I will forward the news to others as well.  broken heart

Hi all, guest here. John, wgdjohn, was my uncle, unfortunately we lost him right before Christmas for unknown/unexpected reasons and right before that his computer was having issues so he was unable to join you all on here. I know he loved his daz3d community so much, it was one of his favorite hobbies. A buddy of his and myself are trying to connect with some of you on his forums to let you know he won’t be back. Scrolling through here makes my heart happy seeing everyone looking out. Keep up the hard work with your creations. Much love - niece Tina <3

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Condolences to you and your family, Tina.  Thank you for letting us know.  John has been missed, and that will continue.

• Thank you and Please do, that would be great if you could, being unfamiliar with this myself I’m unsure of who else or where else to reach out. He loved you all and loved modeling, He never had kids and wasn’t married so my brother and I were like his kids and he always got so excited to show us the new stuff he was working on each time I went over. I do have a small favor if you all have ideas....his memorial is next weekend at his home and I would like to display some of his modeling work buuut I have no idea where to access it at since his computer went down. Ideas? I thought I’d be able to access his gallery on here but either I’m accessing it wrong or he doesn’t have anything uploaded. Didn’t he win a contest or two as well? Would be nice to have that to display and show off. 

Much love to all - niecetina

• @wgdjohnniece I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's passing. I sent you a PM. My strongest condolences.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

This is such sad news,  my condolences to you and your family.

He only had a very few images in his Gallery here    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/36425/

Would be happy to try to help.  We have a thread that collects some of the events that he participated in (but not all).  I will see what I can do.  I will post them in the following thread.  Hopefully, you will be able to click on them to get them.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/224721/sad-news-passing-of-wgdjohn#latest

We are sort of scattered around the world.  What part of the country is the memorial service?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I am very sad to learn this news, John was a very enthusiastic man of our community…
    I know, in this virtual medium, we don't have any physical contact but one feels the value of each one by his interventions on the forum.
    John was and will remain someone who will have marked my passage on this platform of friends having a common passion.
    I noticed since the beginning that we were quickly forgotten but for me, John will remain in my memory forever!
    Condolences to his familly...

• Thank you all for the help and the condolences, it means a ton to all of us. My Uncle lived his whole life in part of the Greater St. Louis area in MO known as Creve Coeur, and most of that life on the family property. We have for years been trying to get him to move into the country with us but I think he secretely enjoyed being in the city. Ha

• Would love to know what parts of the world you all are from? 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I'm only the person who has to wave a big stick at these guys if they don't behave,  but I cannot recall ever having to wave it at your Uncle.  UK born and bred me.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I'm from Belgium but with the internet, we are all neighbours!

edited January 2018

I live in Washington, DC.

I do get Chohole's big stick waved at me from time to time, but only when I deserve it. 

In addition to your uncle's renders, which I will continue to post in the other thread, you and your family might like to know that what made your uncle outstanding was his unbridled curiosity and enthusiasm.  This forum is not just a place to post finished renders, it is also a place to ask for help, share techniques, offer advice, etc.  Your uncle "sponsored" for lack of a better word some of our most popular threads. John always gave the impression hat he loved the journey more than the destination, and it came through in his threads.

He has a thread specifically on modeling techniques (this one).  It has close to twenty thousand views.  I always got the impression that he enjoyed learning a new technique as much as finishing any one particular model.

He has other threads on lighting, animation, shaders, and other topics.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Diomede said:

I live in Washington, DC.

I do get Chohole's big stick waved at me from time to time, but only when I deserve it. 

In addition to your uncle's renders, which I will continue to post in the other thread, you and your family might like to know that what made your uncle outstanding was his unbridled curiosity and enthusiasm.  This forum is not just a place to post finished renders, it is also a place to ask for help, share techniques, offer advice, etc.  Your uncle "sponsored" for lack of a better word some of our most popular threads. John always gave the impression hat he loved the journey more than the destination, and it came through in his threads.

He has a thread specifically on modeling techniques (this one).  It has close to twenty thousand views.  I always got the impression that he enjoyed learning a new technique as much as finishing any one particular model.

He has other threads on lighting, animation, shaders, and other topics.  

I love to see his connections all over the world. He was very much in it for the journey and friendships. I hope you all continue to post here and stay connected through his forums and the daz3d community.  Maybe one day when things slow down for me I’ll try my hand at modeling, and this is exactly where I’ll be coming for advice lol

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

It’s like we have lost a family member ourselves... 

I very rarely show emotion but you are really tugging the strings, that’s how close John is to us here, I really do pass on my condolences to you and your family.. John was such an important part of our lives ... I’m in Australia... 

good onya cobber I enjoyed sharing your journey here. You have been and will be missed. Brother hugs.

• Stezza said:

It’s like we have lost a family member ourselves... 

I very rarely show emotion but you are really tugging the strings, that’s how close John is to us here, I really do pass on my condolences to you and your family.. John was such an important part of our lives ... I’m in Australia... 

good onya cobber I enjoyed sharing your journey here. You have been and will be missed. Brother hugs.

<3 He was a man of good humor, as you all know, he wouldn’t want anyone to be sad. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

John modeled the CA that is in my signature.... the graphic at the bottom of each of my posts... it will be always a reminder to me of him.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh no I am heartbroken!  He was always such an encouragement to me in my Carrara attempts, I enjoyed the conversations I had with him immensely. I am so very sorry, he will indeed be greatly missed!  Know that he will be remembered here and hopefully, the threads that he put so much learning and information on will continue to encourage people to learn how to use Carrara and how to model.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

It is so sad to hear this, John was a great contributor to these discussions and a very active member of the forums.  We are all part of the Carrara family and his loss will be felt by us all.

I am in the UK.  Love and condolences to you and all the family.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

This is very sad news - my condolences to his family and friends and loved ones.

He was always so enthusiastic and willing to share his work and discoveries with us. He will be sorely missed.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Sad news.  My condolences to your family, Tina, and to all his friends here.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

You and your family have my deepest sympathies. I remember one of the first challenges he entered. He did a great job! Such a nice, and postive person. I'm from Wisconsin.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I am so sorry! My condolences to you and your family.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

Very sad news, we are honoured to have shared part of his life, he will be missed broken heart

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929

oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this, this is very sad.... :(

John was so passionate and helpful and clever. Passion could have been his first name...

Rest in Piece. 

Hugs from Oz to his family.

( a few of us are from Australia)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,807

A warm vale to John and condolences to his family.

Will be missed, I always enjoyed reading his posts and admired his renders.

Another hugs from Oz to his family.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

More condolences and hugs from the UK :(

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

My condolances he will be missed.

I'm from Ontario Canada.

• Diomede said:

Would be happy to try to help.  We have a thread that collects some of the events that he participated in (but not all).  I will see what I can do.  I will post them in the following thread.  Hopefully, you will be able to click on them to get them.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/224721/sad-news-passing-of-wgdjohn#latest

We are sort of scattered around the world.  What part of the country is the memorial service?

I'm pretty sure there are a few images in my art thread of John's. I'll take a look and post to the thread if they haven't already been posted there. I'll go through last year's Raining Men contest because I'm pretty sure he had an entry there, too. He might have actually had two.

• Would love to know what parts of the world you all are from? 

I'm in Florida here. Almost all the way down at the bottom.