BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE 21 ~~STORMS~~

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

JPGs saved out of Bryce are usually a lot smaller in pixel size to a conversion from the BMP done in Photoshop.  How large was the JPG that wouldn't attach?

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

@mtnmen: Glad you succeeded in uploading. Very nice work!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,288

mtnmen - great entry. I first thought even the gods must be angry when using this sometimes very stubborn forum software.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

@mtnmen : Really nice entry !

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@chohole  I from now on will just save the jpeg image in Bryce... I'm not sure, but I think I read in a forum that Bryce's Jpegs aren't "as good" as perhaps PhotoShop... so I started converting the BMP to JPEG in PhotoShop... or another editing program.. but  here is the un-uploadable jpeg... 

960 x 548
    513 KB

Weird....

hansmar...adbc ... thanks

Horo.. thanks to you too and yes perhaps that's why the Gods are angry..

having successfully uploaded the image... I feel almost purged and relaxed and I don't know how to handle that...

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,179
    edited June 2016

Mtnmen- both your entries are great, The Gods must be angry is awesome.

My 1st entry and only entry for this challenge.

Almost there

almostthere.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 81K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

@mermaid010: poor dog! Wonderful sea texture.

@mtnmen: I used to export to HDR, but that is too risk-prone: it often does not work well, e.g. if you have stopped render en restarted. Nowadays I always render to Tiff and modify to JPG in Photoshop Elements. This gives much, much better results than saving to JPG right away. The Bryce JPG creation is very rough. So, try to export to Tiff and then convert to JPG and see if you like that workflow.

@mermaid010 : That's really an awesome picture, the sea texture is perfect, very good job !

edited June 2016

Mermaid - Almost there is a very nice entry.

Second Entry:
    Lightstorm (or storm of light)

Lightstorm

LightStorm.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 144K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • MonkeyTMonkeyT Posts: 9

The fact that you still do render challenges cracks me up!  You see, I was a Beta Tester on Bryce2, the first version with booleans.  During the Beta, a group of us regularly ran challenges of our own - my favorite was a competition to use nothing but Bryce to create a model of a toilet.  You would not believe how inventive that group was.

@Horo: Very nice landscape render. Wonderful light. I must admit that the relation with the theme of this contest is not very clear to me. But, who cares with a nice render like this!

@Horo : "Lightstorm" : just like the title says. Nice render !

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,179

Thanks for the nice comments Hansmar, Adbc and Horo

Horo- another great entry, love the lighting.

edited June 2016

MonkeyT - nice to see you here. Flushing a toilet is also sort of a water storm; hey, give it a try. devil

Hansmar, adbc, mermaid - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited June 2016

Desert Storm. No pun intended.

Desert Storm1.jpg
    1024 x 710 - 212K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,612

There are some wonderful pictures here!

Here is my contribution, a bit weird perhaps:

The Eye of the Storm

TheEyeOfTheStorm.jpg
    1260 x 945 - 886K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited June 2016

Well, I'm unhappy how this one turned out, but since it has just now finished rendering I feel obligated to submit it anyway.  :-)

"raising a storm".

raising a storm.jpg
    1608 x 1005 - 2M
    Post edited by sriesch on

Stuart - very convincing desert storm. Is that a Fata Morgana or the next slope poking through the sand awhirl?

Peter Wade - the eye of the storm, literally taken. Good idea.

sriesch - well, the artist decides when an artwork is finished. I like the result and raising a  storm is a great idea.

@StuartB : nice interpretation of the subject.

@Peter Wade : original idea, well done.

@sriesch : this is really good, special.

@StuartB: What a great dust storm render. I did think of something like that, but couldn't decide how to try. You really succeeded, I think.

@Peter Wade: How very original; well done indeed.

@sriesch: I don't know why you are unhappy. I like the idea and it is a good render. But perhaps you had something different in mind.

edited June 2016

Not completely happy with this last render. But I wanted to show it, (and enter in the contest, why not), because of the inspiration. It was inspired by a beautiful song by Neil Young: See the sky about to rain.

Here is a part of the song:

"See the sky about to rain,
    broken clouds and rain.
    Locomotive, pull the train,
    whistle blowing
    through my brain.
    Signals curling on an open plain,
    rolling down the track again.
    See the sky about to rain."

I made several errors in the making of this one. The biggest one, probably being not to exclude the volumetric sky from the IBL. Rendering took ridiculously long.

Nevertheless, I hope you like it.

The train and the tracks are freebies, just as the telephone poles. Just had to make the lines myself.

Title (you'll have guessed): See the sky about to rain.

see the sky about to rain.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 736K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 499
    edited July 2016

“Beating The Storm”

Douglas G21 “Goose” by Briney from ShareCG.

Dock house and bouy created in Modo.

Two volumetric cloud spheres, one for the visible clouds and one in back of the camera to create the sunlight dappling effect.

2 stacked terrains and about 600 instanced Bryce trees.

Rendered at Normal AA - 2h48m render time. A touch of Photoshop contrast correction.

It’s ironic that I’ve had a hard time getting the render finished because of all the recent thunderstorm blipping the power...

Best of luck to all and thanks for looking!

beating_the_storm.jpg
    1500 x 562 - 143K

@Hansmar : successful interpretation, especially the depth in your landscape.

@Dan Whiteside : great image, I like the light through the clouds and the reflection on the water.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2016

Hope i've managed to get this one in in time. It only took one and a quarter hours to render, but then it took 13 hours to do the AA pass... Grrrrr....

Title: Rain Storm at Sea

Good luck to everyone... Some fab entries again this challenge.

RainStorm.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 746K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2016

Yes I haven't actually closed the contest yet, although I guess I ought to.  

Anybody else want to sneak a last quick one in, before I decide that it is truly the 1st July,  not the 31th of June.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,217

Well I've been lurking in this thread and I've been really impressed by the entries - some really nice work has been posted.
    I had an idea for an entry, but left it a bit late and then found I'd taken on something more ambitious than I'd thought, so nothing from me this time - maybe next time I'll start good and early and give myself more of a chance.
    Good luck to everyone! smiley

@mermaid...Thank you for the great comments... Almost There is great ... love the waves and texture... So glad he IS Almost There...
    @hansmar... See The Sky About to Rain... very nice... I enjoy loooking at it... and I know what you mean about volumetric clouds... Phew!..Thanks for the TIFF issue... I think it was a post from you that I read about that...sometime ago
    @horo... Light Storm... great.... I have seen The Light
    @stuartb... Desert Storm... I like the image and the pun...
    @peterwade... The Eye of the Storm... very cool... I like weird.
    @sriesch... Raising Storm is cool... and it feels cool as well..and thanks for your uploading suggestion for me...
    @danwhiteside...  Beating the Storm is beautiful
    @davesavage...  Rainstorm is awesome... I get sea sick looking at it.. great waves.

Another great challenge and great entries...  Good luck to everyone

Hansmar - looks threatening, that sky, let's hope the train will not derail.

Dan- very well done, the clouds look quite violent.

Dave - well, that's not just a drizzle, not even a downpour, it looks rather like bucket down.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Hope i've managed to get this one in in time. It only took one and a quarter hours to render, but then it took 13 hours to do the AA pass... Grrrrr....

Title: Rain Storm at Sea

I love the water on this one!