BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE 21 ~~STORMS~~

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,288

adbc - wow, that's quite a downpour.

vivien - not a good idea to be outdoor when such hailstones come down. Great idea to include a ruler.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

@mtnmen : thanks, San Francisco ? could be, it's rather fictive !

@vivien : Hailstorm is a great image, we have them here sometimes, maybe just a tad smaller. Thank you for your comment.

@Horo : thanks for your comment.

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

Thank you for the comments.
    @ Vivien: that's a great idea and realized fantastic.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

@vivien: Highly original! You show the result of the storm, instead of the storm itself. Great idea. I do find, however, that the ground on which the hailstones are laying is a bit very dark. I cannot see the shadow of most of them.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@vivien... Hail storm... very clever... and the ruler... very clever...

edited May 2016

Here is my first attempt. I thought I would never get inspiration for this one, until I saw some nice pictures. But this does not look at all as what I wanted, so I might redo parts of it (or everything). What keeps me from doing it right away is the ridiculous render time that the not-very-good-looking clouds gave me.

I will indicate later whether or not this is a real entry.

Title: Storm brewing over the city.

storm over the city.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 587K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited May 2016

And for the next one, the idea came suddenly and, while I started making it much later then the first one, I finished it much faster, and so did the computer!

A bit of extra contrast as postwork.

Trees are made in NgPlant (one of my favourites). The girl is Genesis with rainwair from Wilmap's. The rain is made with two planes with rain-texture by David Brinnen (modified, of course).

Title: Walking the dog in the storm on the beach.

By the way, in my language, a spell of rain is not 'storm'. Storm is reserved for very high winds (say 8 Beaufort and more). I hope this picture conveys that idea.

storm on the beach.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1019K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • vosvos Posts: 337

@ drachenlords : Summon the Storm is my fav. fantastic waves too.

@ Chohole : Great idee and image. 

@adbc:Title says all , beautifuly done. 

@vivien: Big hailstones ​ ,better stay inside. original idee. 

@Hansmar:Walking the dog in the storm on the beach is my fav of the two. 

@ Vos: Thank you.
    @ Hansmar: Walking the Dog is a very nice idea, where you would not even send in weather a dog in front of the door ;-)

• vosvos Posts: 337

Whirlwind in my head

Whirlwind in my head.jpg
    1152 x 768 - 281K

@Hansmar : Walking the dog in the storm on the beach : the rain and the perception of the movement of the sand is well done, great image !

@vos : Whirlwind in my head : a very original idea and image.

Thanks for your comment.

@vos: Thanks and I agree; it is my favourite too. I like your surreal work Very original!

@drachenlords and adbc: Thanks. In Dutch this type of weather is called 'hondenweer' (weather for dogs)!

@ Hansmar: in German we call it similar - Hundewetter ... * lol *
    @ Vos: a great and unusual idea for storms, but made excellent.

Hansmar - The storm brewing over the city is a good idea, the clouds look a bit solid. Walking the dog is fantastic.

vos - Whirlwind in my head, cool idea and very well done surreal work.

edited May 2016

My second entry : After the Storm

After the storm.jpg
    940 x 470 - 109K
    Post edited by Chohole on

@hansmar...  Storm Brewing Over The City...  reminds me of the (alien) clouds in The War of The Worlds... dense and scary...  and I know what you mean about the render time for volumetric clouds... Phew!  and Storm On The Beach... i can really see the movement of the sand... very nice.
    @vos... Whirlwind In My Head... is very interesting...I love  the texture of the center whirlwind...very cool

@adbc...After the Storm... very nice image... Lots of movement in the water

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120

If anybody is looking for inspiration take a look at this site

http://stormandsky.com/

Going to have to give this a shot. I got back from storm chasing in Tornado alley last week. So to combine my two favourite hobbies will be great.

Heres a shot of a twister I chased.

Hope I'm not getting off topic, obviously delete if I am. 

IMG_20160509_161831807_HDR.jpg
    1456 x 2592 - 1M

@adbc: Oh my. Horrible situation, but great render.

@mtnmen: thanks!

@orbital: great idea to combine your hobbies. And, I do not think you're off topic. Giving inspiration is always nice, isn't it?

@mtnmen : thank you !

@Hansmar : thanks for your comment.

@orbital : great site for inspiration.

adbc - very nice, looks really like the storm has just passed.

orbital - ah, you're a storm chaser, needs a bit of courage, too. We don't have those in the middle of the Alps, look frightening and fascinating at the same time. Right on topic!

@Horo : thank you for your comment.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120

If anybody is looking for inspiration take a look at this site

http://stormandsky.com/

Going to have to give this a shot. I got back from storm chasing in Tornado alley last week. So to combine my two favourite hobbies will be great.

Heres a shot of a twister I chased.

Hope I'm not getting off topic, obviously delete if I am. 

Horo said:

adbc - very nice, looks really like the storm has just passed.

orbital - ah, you're a storm chaser, needs a bit of courage, too. We don't have those in the middle of the Alps, look frightening and fascinating at the same time. Right on topic!

Well I'm in the UK, so much the same, although if you factor in land mass per Tornado we have the highest rate in the world. Thankfully they are small and shortlived.

Here is my first entry

Title:  Storm Drain

Storm Drain jpg.jpg
    960 x 720 - 378K

@mtnmen: What a great idea! And well executed too. You may want to work a little on the texture of the stone of the sidewalk. It does not look convincing now. And I would place the can and bottle with more of an angle compared to each other to give a more casual look. Now they are more or less in the same direction (not exactly, I think) and somehow that bothers me. But maybe you like it best that way (and others too) and it is just something strange in my mind!

@mtnmen : I really like the idea and its a great render. Hansmar is right about the texture of the stone.

mtnmen - the idea is indeed great. There is some potential to "polish" the artwork. I think it would be worth the trouble.

edited June 2016

First Entry: Storm is Brewing

16 Mordor terrain tiles and two 2D-Faces with Flock of Birds by Clarence Tippetts. Sky and light from an HDRI I made earlier this week. No other light.

A Storm is Brewing

StormBrewing.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 244K
    Post edited by Horo on

@Horo: What a fantastic seawater texture! And great stormy sky as well.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

@Horo, oooh, nice.

@Horo : really nice !