BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE 21 ~~STORMS~~

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,288

Thank you guys.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

Horo, Hansmar, adbc... Thank you for the comments...

I agree that there is a "flatness" to the image that could benefit from some re-working... I will give it a try...

However...

@horo... OMG what a fantastic full-of-life raging sea... Very wonderful textures and lighting...

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

HI,

I polished up my 'storm brewing over the city' . I totally changed the clouds, taking a much more simple route, by just using one large sphere. I also changed the sky and atmosphere. Then, I missed something, so I added some lightning bolts. 

Pam, this is the version I want to enter (unless I redo it again.....)

storm over the city_2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 375K
    edited June 2016

HI,

Oops, my mistake with the double entering again. Silly me (and silly software).

Post edited by Hansmar on
  • orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited June 2016

Springtime Oklahoma

Some postwork, mainly contrast, and some cloning to fix some issues with the grass edges.

Springtime Oklahoma copy.jpg
    1068 x 500 - 490K
    Post edited by Chohole on

@orbital: What can I say? Wow, now that's a storm render!! I feel like seeking shelter now. How on earth did you get those clouds so close to real? Please enlighten us, simple Bryce users, so we can learn!

Still, picky as I can be, I have one small issue: storm chasers usually go by car and make pictures next to roads; they don't use boats to get to the ideal spot. Why not make that stream a gravel road? It may also take away the feeling that there is a horizontal curve in the stream (which must be the curvature of the earth, I assume :))

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120

Springtime Oklahoma

Hansmar said:

@orbital: What can I say? Wow, now that's a storm render!! I feel like seeking shelter now. How on earth did you get those clouds so close to real? Please enlighten us, simple Bryce users, so we can learn!

Still, picky as I can be, I have one small issue: storm chasers usually go by car and make pictures next to roads; they don't use boats to get to the ideal spot. Why not make that stream a gravel road? It may also take away the feeling that there is a horizontal curve in the stream (which must be the curvature of the earth, I assume :))

Hmm haha it is supposed to be a road, but now I look at it I can see what you mean. I will try to rectify the problem. The cloud is made up of primitives, 3 spheres and 2 tori. I will sort out a tutorial of  sorts for you. Thankyou!

orbital said:

Springtime Oklahoma

Hansmar said:

Hmm haha it is supposed to be a road, but now I look at it I can see what you mean. I will try to rectify the problem. The cloud is made up of primitives, 3 spheres and 2 tori. I will sort out a tutorial of  sorts for you. Thankyou!

Oops, my bad! I really did see it as a stream. I am quite sure you are able to rectify this issue. It would be great to see that tutorial. I struggled a lot with metaballs and a mesh I made in Hexagon to get the kind of cloud I wanted, but gave up in frustration. One simple (flattened) sphere appeared to work just as well in my case!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,179

Beautiful entries by everyone, yes

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

@Orbital, another nice one there!

mtnmen - thank you.

Hansmar - I think this second one is much better than the first one.

orbital - been out storm chasing again? Really great looking scene.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

@Hansmar : I agree with Horo

@orbital : wow, impressive clouds !

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

@adbc: After the Storm is a great Render. Very nice light.

@mtnmen: Fantastic idea and brought great in the picture.

@Horo: What a nice water texture and what a sky. Great!

@Hansmar: The second picture is much more dramatic. Very good.

@orbital: WOW! What a picture. Breathtaking.

edited June 2016

@drachenlords : thank you for your comment.

Enough water and bad weather for me, we have enough of that here for the moment.

I tried something else.

Title : Into the light storm

Into the light storm_.jpg
    973 x 486 - 81K
    Post edited by Chohole on

adbc - great idea and superbly done.

@Horoadbcdrachenlords: Thank you. I agree completely!

@adbc: Wonderful. Totally different from most other contenders; really very original and expertly made.

• vosvos Posts: 337

@ adbc -  After the Storm great one. I like the movement in the water and cool sky too.

@ mtnmen-Storm drain ,great idea ,nice image.

@Horo- Storm is Brewing -fantastic  waves,wonderful sky  and the birds are a great touch. Excellent. 

@Hansmar -storm brewing over the city- great one,i like the dark sky much. 

@  orbital- Springtime Oklahoma-love the clouds wonderful .

@adbc-Into the light storm-Great idea and  beautiful  image. 

@Horo, Hansmar and vos : thank you very much for your comment !

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,179

Wow Adbc absolutely awesome

vos... thanks for your comment... I am reworking it
    @hansmar... Storm Brewing over the City..  really nice dark stormy image...
    @orbital...  Springtime Oklahoma...Awesome render

@adbc... Into the Light Storm... Beautiful..

Chohole... please make this version my first entry.

reworked a bit

Storm Drain

storm drain2jpg.jpg
    960 x 720 - 543K

@mtnmen; much more expressive version. Concrete sidewalk has improved and the position of the can gives it a more dynamic look. Well done!

mtnmen - as Hansmar said: much better.

@mermaid010 and mtnmen : thanks for your comment

@mtnmen : much better, well done !

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920

Wow.... great Ideas, and very well done from all of you here...

I have - once again - no Inspiration for this theme.

@horo, Hansmar,adbc...thanks for your comments

Here is my second entry Title:The God's Must Be Angry

2 rain cubes Horo/Brinnen Inclement Weather

Actually... I have tried numerous times to upload this image and for some reason it won't upload...

I'll try again later... anyone else having the same problem... or is it just me?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    mtnmen said:

Actually... I have tried numerous times to upload this image and for some reason it won't upload...

I'll try again later... anyone else having the same problem... or is it just me?

It often takes multiple tries before an image upload works in these forums for some reason.  But perhaps there is also some other issue, like file too large or wrong file type?  you could temporarily pick some random different image as a test to see if it's the actual image itself in some way.

thanks sriesche... that's a good test... I'll try it

I did try it... and a different image uploaded fine... I tried my image JPG... and it just won't upload... I'll keep trying... hopefully by the contest closing I'l be able to enter it...   Weird.

Okay... here it is...  My second entry...

The Gods Must Be Angry...

I tried converting this image backand forth in Photoshop... from this to that then back to a jpeg... Nothing... So I went back into Bryce and saved the image as a jpeg from there and Voilla! uploaded... I don't get it but ... who says I have to...

zeus storm8jpegcropped.jpg
    960 x 558 - 482K