Coming soon: Mesh Grabber 4.0 [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,814
    edited August 11

No news is bad news, so we might as well use this PA-abandoned thread to harass celebrate Richard some more.

Richard was not satisfied with only being celebrated by International Cat Day. Now that World Lion Day has come around, he thought he might be able to pass for a lion and garner additional adulation and get more treats. Is it working?

(Close to original thread topic: old Mesh Grabber was used in the creation of this image.)

Richard Lion_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,673

barbult said:

No news is bad news, so we might as well use this PA-abandoned thread to harass celebrate Richard some more.

Richard was not satisfied with only being celebrated by International Cat Day. Now that World Lion Day has come around, he thought he might be able to pass for a lion and garner additional adulation and get more treats. Is it working?

(Close to original thread topic: old Mesh Grabber was used in the creation of this image.)

Why did you have to do this, I'd finally gotten the plushy set out of my WL and my mind ... or so I thought ... and then you had to go and do this render ...  ;-)

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

Why did you have to do this, I'd finally gotten the plushy set out of my WL and my mind ... or so I thought ... and then you had to go and do this render ...  ;-)

Richard is my muse laugh. I love to render Richard in various unexpected situations. He is always a good sport about it. 

• It's a cat-and-muse game. Now, is that a typo or what was intended?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

Richard Haseltine said:

It's a cat-and-muse game. Now, is that a typo or what was intended?

Either way it was a-musing ... 

Richard Haseltine said:

You are a cat and a muse. I think this is not a typo. (A Richard message with no typo! surprise On my! wink)

SimonJM said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Either way it was a-musing ... 

yesyes That's a good one!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited August 12

levroma85 said:

Artini said:

Just thinking about starting another thread with ideas about how to duplicate

Mesh Grabber 4.0 features with Blender.

That's way the waiting will be much more bearable.

I think that's a good idea!

When MG4 was announced, I immediately saw all kinds of possibilities. Like most, I'm dissapointed that it has not dropped yet, but after using Daz Studio for a while, I finally decided to try some of the ideas out in Blender using it's sculpting and animation features. There's a lot to learn, but getting a Daz scene into Blender is pretty simple with the available tools, and once there you can sculpt and animate feely. 

I do hope MG4 is released for DS, simply because I'm so used to Daz and its ecosystem. But Blender is an option to implement the features most people are looking for out of MG4, right away. 

This is what happens when people wait and wait, without updates, or the product itself being released: they move on and find other, perhaps even more satisfying, or better solutions, which in turn spells ... L O S T   M O N E Y for the PA.

BTW, Blender is awesome: doesn't cost a penny and does almost anything, and since the UI was updated, finding your way around and getting things accomplished in the software is easy peasy. Add to that, there is tons of documentation, like on Youtube, that teaches you to make, or do, almost anything.

Having used other software too, I also think it is far easier to learn (in large part b/c it has a better UI), than most other high-end modeling software.

Definitely a must have and must learn for anybody who needs to tinker with a purchased model, or needing to craft ones own solutions/models.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,182

OK, will use todays GC sale to re-stock on store credit. After that I'll go on vacation and so will my wallet DAZ-wise.

Won't touch that store credit until MG4 will be available.

• I said that back in May. Now I'm buying a new gift card.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 285

This is what happens when people wait and wait, without updates, or the product itself being released: they move on and find other, perhaps even more satisfying, or better solutions, which in turn spells ... L O S T   M O N E Y for the PA.

BTW, Blender is awesome: doesn't cost a penny and does almost anything

My train of thought exactly. MG4 not releasing was what pushed me over the edge to finally get me a donut and everything that comes with it.

• rto3drto3d Posts: 24
    edited August 14

the next product i will buy from DAZ-store will be MG4

Post edited by rto3d on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,905
    edited August 27

Sigh...

Are we there yet?

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    edited August 28

I don't think this product will be offered. Too much time has gone by. Either the PA decided to withdraw it (due to huge technical issues, or whatever), or DAZ put a stake thru it .... that's my guess since no statements have been forthcoming about the matter.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,140

I just noticed this thread today... so the hope for release has vanished ?

• ElorElor Posts: 1,075

Too soon for anyone here to have sacrificed a new born, so I would not lose hope.laugh

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,378

mcorr said:

I don't think this product will be offered. Too much time has gone by. Either the PA decided to withdraw it (due to huge technical issues, or whatever), or DAZ put a stake thru it .... that's my guess since no statements have been forthcoming about the matter.

Maybe they were waiting for the PA sale which just started?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,032

I have refrained from comment on this product simply because it apparently never did what I always wanted to be able to do in DAZ studio but never could, freely move vertices around like I can in Carrara (or even to an extent in Poser with the morph brush) it did address some but not all of my needs, send to Hexagon semed still a better option.

but

it always was something I wanted to be able to do directly in DAZ studio and it's moving closer to actual 3D sculpting by what I have read, I may well buy this version if it ever materialises.

If it means getting an actual robust 3D sculpting plugin like the Poser morph brush then I support and appreciate ManFriday wanting to get it right.

So many plugins I don't even bother with regardless of how awesome they are simply because other applications I use do it better, a case in point being animated textures a thing I use a lot but never in DAZ studio if I can, I will always avoid it even with free scripts let alone paid ones that are still subject to the same API limitations.

Animated IBL is something even Poser7 did, you cannot use a series or even just animate rotation or intensity of HDR images in DAZ studio with any plugin.

I do this surprisingly a lot in Carrara and even iClone 6 with spherical render png series or videos as backgrounds

Likewise physics, booleans, metaballs, fluids etc, the work done by PAs  getting such stuff into DAZ studio is tremendous don't get me wrong but it's just so much easier to do elsewhere.

I honestly thought I wanted a decent FBX importer too until it was possible and I realised it's still easier to export the DAZ content instead and render in other software.

yes getting way off topic but if I am going to delurk a bit, I honestly don't care

somebody could even add machine learning functionality to DAZ studio for that matter 

unsure of ManFriday's stance on this but very aware a lot of people totally against it to the point of leaving DAZ over just adding DAZAI to the site

personally

I would kill for something generative that could mask and affect only parts of animated renders easily, something I cannot easily do with all the generative fill AI apps I use, realistic hair movement and water interaction being the big one, what I can get out of Stable Video diffusion on my own PC using a 3D rendered image is sometimes pretty awesome but totally uncontrollable, unpredictable, not actually promptable. Even things like Luma Dream Machine with prompts are more miss than hit but when it hits it goes hard.

90% of things I do using AI start out as a 3D render BTW, to flesh out the scene I want, also I use actual photography, editing in Gimp etc

We live in interesting times.

Using Carrara and Zbrush is likely to still remain my preferred option for shaping stuff, MeshGrabber would only ever be a handy quick fix for a poke through or something pn the fly and I still have to think about how badly I really need that.

I still actually do more 3D rendering than AI rendering BTW

I am just not against it

• jim_doriajim_doria Posts: 123

it apparently never did what I always wanted to be able to do in DAZ studio but never could, freely move vertices around like I can in Carrara...

Not a Carrara user so not sure on that score, but otherwise this is EXACTLY what this plugin does. Its selection is a bit janky, but if you use the mesh editor tool, select vertices, edges or faces, and then switch to the Mesh Grabber tool, the selection is preserved and you can move or rotate them.

I was already used to the Daz to OBJ to Blender to OBJ to Daz workflow when I got MG3. It's hard for me to overstate what a joy it is to be able to skip that whole rigamarole and just fix stuff right in Daz. Both workflows have their place, MG is not "Blender (or Carrara) in Daz Studio" but for quick adjustments to clothing (best poke-thru fixer ever!) or minor prop alterations, or other basic touch-up or customize work MG really can't be beat.

The big gaps in it are scale and smooth. If you need those you're round-tripping to your external modeler. That's what makes the prospect of MG4 so exciting. With those features, 80-90% of what I'd have to jump to Blender for will be only a shortcut key away. It's really how Daz Studio should have worked all along.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,032

jim_doria said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it apparently never did what I always wanted to be able to do in DAZ studio but never could, freely move vertices around like I can in Carrara...

Not a Carrara user so not sure on that score, but otherwise this is EXACTLY what this plugin does. Its selection is a bit janky, but if you use the mesh editor tool, select vertices, edges or faces, and then switch to the Mesh Grabber tool, the selection is preserved and you can move or rotate them.

I was already used to the Daz to OBJ to Blender to OBJ to Daz workflow when I got MG3. It's hard for me to overstate what a joy it is to be able to skip that whole rigamarole and just fix stuff right in Daz. Both workflows have their place, MG is not "Blender (or Carrara) in Daz Studio" but for quick adjustments to clothing (best poke-thru fixer ever!) or minor prop alterations, or other basic touch-up or customize work MG really can't be beat.

The big gaps in it are scale and smooth. If you need those you're round-tripping to your external modeler. That's what makes the prospect of MG4 so exciting. With those features, 80-90% of what I'd have to jump to Blender for will be only a shortcut key away. It's really how Daz Studio should have worked all along.

well I was saying MG4 sounds like it actually does what I want which includes scale and smooth, both of whch  do in Carrara (Carrara smoothing imports into D|S with Wavefront obj too unlike many programs) 

so yes, if it ever hits the store I would seriously consider buying it, meanwhile Send to hexagon isn't hard (except I am less fond of Hexagon blush)

And here I came, hoping against hope ... But alas, no news once more. I do think if the product has been cancelled, it would be common courtesy to inform us. But maybe the PA was taken ill or something, one never knows. I really REALLY hope that MG 4 will happen sometime. And the sooner the better!

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

I do not expect it to happen any longer. Two days ago I purchased the new PW environment and the zip file was packed in August 12, so just two weeks ago. If a product is AWOL für almost four months something exeptional must have happened. And we probably will never find out what it was. Bummer.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,378

There have been cases before where a product arrived months after it was first announced.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,905

Leana said:

There have been cases before where a product arrived months after it was first announced.

And others where the product suddenly popped up at Renderosity instead.  

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,347

If you click on Man Friday's forum name you can see that "Last Active" is stated as 29th August, so it seems he/she is logging into the forums, but for whatever reason is not choosing to update this thread.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 212

She is obviously not in a position to keep us updated. But I do not suspect this problem to be her fault in the first place.

Isn't it likely ManFriday will headline one of the PA sale days? If so, this would be a great opportunity to introduce MG 4! I'm still holding on ... 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,862

tsroemi said:

Isn't it likely ManFriday will headline one of the PA sale days? If so, this would be a great opportunity to introduce MG 4! I'm still holding on ... 

I wouldn't call it likely, as MF has a pretty sparse library, and most of their products are utilities. I could see other similarly situated PAs being highlighted, like Riversoft or Zev0, but they also have much more expansive libraries.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,021

I'm hanging in there. Mesh Grabber is sometimes problematic for me because of arthritis in my fingers and now cataracts in both eyes, it takes many tries to get a successful result. MG4 can help with that. I just hope it doesn't come out after I die of old age!

• RandomRandom Posts: 201

Of course we don't know. Can't think but that there's a technical problem with the item that is hard to resolve, and maybe vendor doesn't have the time to work on it having outside projects.