November 2015 New User Contest "Materials" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• isidorn said:

12½ hours rendering and 50% converged. Original image is 2,1 mb so this is a downscaled version to be able to attach it.

Things I'm thinking about:

Change the colour on the mystikoi's wings. They're too yellow now and I want them more red/orange. Possibly also reduce the glow. It might have been a it too much now.

Go easier on the bloom filter. As it is now the woman's hand looks like it's glowing. Though it might get better by reducing the glow from the mystikoi.

The skin on the woman's hand looks old and wrinkly compared to the skin on her arm. Need to do something about that difference.

Should I use DoF? And if I do, what should I put in focus? The woman's face and the mystikoi on her finger are the two things I feel are most important. Perhaps change camera angle and/or pose to get face and hand at the same distance from the camera?

She's got a weird rectangular shaped shadow on her forehead. Need to find what's causing that and eliminate it.

Lastly, the hair... It doesn't look as bad on the top of her that has more light on it. Perhaps more light on the hair can make it look better?

I will poke about with this and see what I come up with. But I can't help also thinking, what does this have to do with this month's theme? Other than the emissive shader on the mystikoi wings there's not much tampering with materials.

This is great... how did you do the little floating lights? Tried to do that in the past and could quite get it but those look great :)

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited November 2015
    TreeDee said:
    isidorn said:

12½ hours rendering and 50% converged. Original image is 2,1 mb so this is a downscaled version to be able to attach it.

Change the colour on the mystikoi's wings. They're too yellow now and I want them more red/orange. Possibly also reduce the glow. It might have been a it too much now.

Go easier on the bloom filter. As it is now the woman's hand looks like it's glowing. Though it might get better by reducing the glow from the mystikoi.

The skin on the woman's hand looks old and wrinkly compared to the skin on her arm. Need to do something about that difference.

Should I use DoF? And if I do, what should I put in focus? The woman's face and the mystikoi on her finger are the two things I feel are most important. Perhaps change camera angle and/or pose to get face and hand at the same distance from the camera?

She's got a weird rectangular shaped shadow on her forehead. Need to find what's causing that and eliminate it.

Lastly, the hair... It doesn't look as bad on the top of her that has more light on it. Perhaps more light on the hair can make it look better?

I will poke about with this and see what I come up with. But I can't help also thinking, what does this have to do with this month's theme? Other than the emissive shader on the mystikoi wings there's not much tampering with materials.

This is great... how did you do the little floating lights? Tried to do that in the past and could quite get it but those look great :)

Thanks! I can take no credit for the sprites though. I've just used this: http://www.daz3d.com/iray-sprites .

Making your own fur sounds like quite the task. I wish you the best of luck with that and it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Post edited by isidorn on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Linwelly said:

Here's what I left running overnight.

I like the fire and its glow on the floor very much, the stucture seem very palpable. But I have the feeling that you have a rather high tile number on your walls, the repetition is quite obvious. If you want that effect, that is ok not you might want to go down with the tile number. Alternatively you could try different surfaces on the walls or the ceiling. But these are just ideas The render over all looks really good!

Thanks for your input. The entire tunnel that he is in is one surface, so what I did was reduce the tiling from 4*4 to 1*1.

I think I prefer the tile like this, probably reduce the specular strength, as it looks very glossy now. Just for information if you ever want to subdivide the surface of something that comes as one like this tunnel, you can use the geometry editor and assing a new surface to some areas which then can be handled independently. Once you have marked all surface parts you want to change with the yellowish grid of that tool right click on the selected surface and the popup menue offers you several options, I ususally go by geaometry assignment and the select "create new surface from selection" That will show up in the surfaces tab of the object.

Brighter this time. Used blood brushes from KeRen-R in the Gimp on the basic genesis 2 female textures. Now for more detail I guess

You can as well try to make a "Blood splatter" map (sorry for the goory) in Gimp, make a geometry shell for the girl and import the bloodmap into the geometry shell, similar as described for putting grime on things.

Sonja11 said:

Okay.  Moved the fire over, moved things slightly so it lined up more with my rule of thirds grid.  Upped the intensity of the fire light and removed the tripod and the pot because I couldn't move the tripod without getting some odd shadows that just interfered badly with the whole look of the thing.  Haven't had a chance to play with the grunge textures (working all week so it may be a couple of days on that) My biggest issue now is the background shadows.  The background is a simple plane with a .jpg background so the shadows are not right because there is no depth to the background its casting the shadows on the plane.  Which looks wrong because in real life those shadows and the light against the backdrop would not look like this.

Sonja, the scene is coming toghether nicely now. Two things I would like to point out. One is the shadow on the back where noe shadow should be, meaning the sky open arches, thats where ist becomes to obvious that you are useing a backtrop photo instead of a real scenery. If you have available try to use a real prop for the wall and the architecture in the back and move the panel showing the sky far back so its out of reach for the shadow.

If you don't have a prop available, there is again the possibility to use the geometry editor, select all areas of blue sky assign a surface and turn the opacity down. Then you still need to add another layer of blue sky further back.

The other thing that I would change is the structure of the floor. I believe this is the DTTS-groundset D from the tiler shader? The Displacement is always rather high on these and I tend to reduce the max/min values to 5 and-5 (that would be on the Gound 2 for the stones) and to 10 and -10 for the grass. Additionally the stone surface has a rather high specularity.

Onle last little nitpick (yea I'm a posing freak, I know) think if you'd spend the evening with your dragon in that stretching position with your right elbow over your left knee.. ;-)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    isidorn said:

When making changes try to do 1 at a time.  That way you know exactly what that change is doing.  Try reducing the glow on the wings first and see if that fixes some of the other issues you are having.

Did you know you can spot render in iray?

Here is a Wikipedia entry on colour temperatures.

I wish I could make some suggestions on her hair but this is an area I have not payed with much. 

• wflakswflaks Posts: 46
    wflaks said:
    wflaks said:

From a song LORDE - Royals   ,hi guys just wondering am i on the right track with this for the competition  or should i try something else?

Hi wflaks - this is an intriguing render. I like the lace and the skin is pretty nice too. The crown looks off to me. The render is okay but it's how it fits on her head. The side isn't bad but the front - there's no depth or shadow on her forehead which makes it look like it was put on her head in postwork in Photoshop rather than rendered in scene. It also feels a little small for her head too.

Keep it up! I think it's a fun render.

Cheers,

Kath

Thanks Kath, i'll make those changes 

take 2, i put shadows in it this time and changed the shaders on the crown ,lips and finger nails.

jpg
    jpg
    queen2 right arm moved deep shadow.jpg
  • wflakswflaks Posts: 46

take 2

queen2 right arm moved deep shadow.jpg
    800 x 800 - 429K
    edited November 2015
    isidorn said:

Ok I agree with you on most points. I like the work on the wings but yes its a bit too much and the bloom colour is too different from the rest. For the shape thing on her head but it made me think on your hairy problem, You do uses Iray hair? or put an iray shader on it? I find this still somewhat annoying that its often not clear from the icon of the prop if this is iray and that is 3ldight version, often I have to look it up in the surface tab...

back to your render, I have to say the angle of the camera weirds me out. The tilt of the camera is mostly used in action scenes but I guess this is supposed to be a moment of calm, why not make it so. Additionally you have a case of serous foreshortening with the hand and in consequence the wrinkly details there.  Spontaneously thinking I would return the camera to normal give the render a cineatic wide frame and turn your model sideway, head on the lefthand thirds grid with a lot of empty space to the right, the whole scenery somewhat darker with the afterglow of the mystikoi creating a soft flowing line through the empty space giving the idea of the way it came flowing in... Ok I ran away with my ides here, take with a gain of salt.

Post edited by Linwelly on
    TreeDee said:

I have been working on this scene but have been concentrating on trying to create fur from scratch for the millenium cat rather than buy some to try and understand how the maps work but still confused. Is there any good tutorials out on fur? Is there a way to get the direction the fur sits to go in a particular way?

If you found a good tutorial let us know, I will have a look around, but up to now have no experience with fur myself. If you have a noisemap for that fur you can try to dial that up, not sure about the result though.

What you shoud keep in mind though is that your girl is on the toony side of characters. Think if you want to go further that way, then it would make sense to do so with the fur experiement as well.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Much thanks for your input Kismet and Linwelly! Thought it best to say that now as I have a limited time each day for DAZ so I will probably not get too much done in a while now.

• wflaks said:

take 2

Hi wflaks!

She looks much nicer and so does the crown. To me it's still appears as if it's not truely setting on her head. Her hair is still straight. I wonder if you need a D-former or Push Modifer or something. Unfortunately those are outside of my expertise. But because her face and the crown are the focus of the image, she should have "hat hair" you know what I mean? 

But the changes you've made are really nice! Great job!

Cheers,

Kath

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Linwelly said:
    Sonja11 said:

Okay.  Moved the fire over, moved things slightly so it lined up more with my rule of thirds grid.  Upped the intensity of the fire light and removed the tripod and the pot because I couldn't move the tripod without getting some odd shadows that just interfered badly with the whole look of the thing.  Haven't had a chance to play with the grunge textures (working all week so it may be a couple of days on that) My biggest issue now is the background shadows.  The background is a simple plane with a .jpg background so the shadows are not right because there is no depth to the background its casting the shadows on the plane.  Which looks wrong because in real life those shadows and the light against the backdrop would not look like this.

Sonja, the scene is coming toghether nicely now. Two things I would like to point out. One is the shadow on the back where noe shadow should be, meaning the sky open arches, thats where ist becomes to obvious that you are useing a backtrop photo instead of a real scenery. If you have available try to use a real prop for the wall and the architecture in the back and move the panel showing the sky far back so its out of reach for the shadow.

If you don't have a prop available, there is again the possibility to use the geometry editor, select all areas of blue sky assign a surface and turn the opacity down. Then you still need to add another layer of blue sky further back.

The other thing that I would change is the structure of the floor. I believe this is the DTTS-groundset D from the tiler shader? The Displacement is always rather high on these and I tend to reduce the max/min values to 5 and-5 (that would be on the Gound 2 for the stones) and to 10 and -10 for the grass. Additionally the stone surface has a rather high specularity.

Onle last little nitpick (yea I'm a posing freak, I know) think if you'd spend the evening with your dragon in that stretching position with your right elbow over your left knee.. ;-)

Thank you!  Yes I agree I need to just suck it up and put a prop in the background instead.  I have something similar to the background that should work.  I don't think she would stay in this pose all evening, I was more trying to convey a sense of conversation and paying attention to what the dragon is saying.  But I will play around with the pose to see if I can find something similar but less uncomfortable looking.  I will give those settings a try on the ground. I may have something else that would work as well.  I really want that covered over stone look

As Promised the render even though it didn't get beyong 47% in IRay. So I would like to have any and all comments and advice on this WIP plz n ty.

I think I would start with giving the dragon some color and texture.  And maybe seeing if you can get a woolen or linen look on the girls dress.  Maybe turn her body a bit more toward the dragon so they are interacting a tiny bit more.

isidorn said:

Have you considered doing a texture and slight color change on her skin?  Like maybe a dryad (greenish or bark like, not overdone but just a hint)

TreeDee said:

I have been working on this scene but have been concentrating on trying to create fur from scratch for the millenium cat rather than buy some to try and understand how the maps work but still confused. Is there any good tutorials out on fur? Is there a way to get the direction the fur sits to go in a particular way?

They do have a couple of hair systems out there. Garibaldi Express hair is one of them.  I caught it on sale, but haven't had a chance to try it yet

wflaks said:

take 2

I really like the lace on her arms and hands.  The crown does look much better but I agree with what was said above.  The hair needs to indent where the crown hits and curve out away from the edge of that indent so it looks like the crown is pressing on the hair and not floating on top of it.  I think crowns are pretty heavy

• kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited November 2015
    wflaks said:

take 2

Hi wflaks!

She looks much nicer and so does the crown. To me it's still appears as if it's not truely setting on her head. Her hair is still straight. I wonder if you need a D-former or Push Modifer or something. Unfortunately those are outside of my expertise. But because her face and the crown are the focus of the image, she should have "hat hair" you know what I mean? 

But the changes you've made are really nice! Great job!

Cheers,

Kath

AH HA! I think I figured out at least part of the problem. Sorry but for some reason this predicament wouldn't leave me alone. I hope you don't mind but I swiped your image and pulled it into Photoshop. You see, painting hair is sorta my thing - in Photoshop that is. In DAZ hair can kick my behind quite quickly. lol! But I thought maybe if I painted the hair how I thought it should look, it would help me figure out what's going on, so that's what I did.

Now this was just "rough draft" you might say but because of it I realized, it's not the crown - it's the lighting! And possibly the hair shaders.

I redrew the hair adding more shadows and hightlights especially around the crown. If you compare before and after she actually has quite a bit more hair now. lol! But you can see how the shadow around and underneath the crown helps. Plus, I added shadows under the hair around her face and again that helped give it depth. So that's when I started asking, what's the lighting set up, and what hair shaders are you using? Also did you back off the shadows in an effort to speed up rendering?

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Kath

crownpainted.JPG
    800 x 800 - 333K
    Post edited by kathrynloch on
  •  

TreeDee said:

If you're using photoshop why not edit the materials in photoshop and then bring them into Daz? I've found this really handy... Photoshop bridge isn't working for me at the moment so I export the model as a .obj then open it in Photoshop, paint and play with the materials then export the files from PS and attach them through surfaces in Daz... there is probably an easier way to do it but I found that a really effective way to get good results.

That sounds an interesting technique in PS!  I will have to try that!  Wow, there is soooo much to learn this month... I have never used the Texture Editor or LIE plus tons more stuff to try and experiment with!

You can also use photoshop to generate the bump and normal mats for your new texture. Look under the Filter/3D menu. 

Copying over the original texture for personal use is fine but if you're going to do something more with it then you have to change up the UV's to stay clear of copyright issues. You can also do that in Photoshop quite easily.

At least the personal use is my understanding. If I'm wrong hopefully a mod will let us know. 

I just find the original texture file, right click, and create a shortcut and move it to the desktop. When I'm ready to dive into Photoshop, I go to File/Open and navigate to the shortcut, which opens the actual texture file. I have my own folder set up for the textures I create so I don't accidentally save over the original file.

Cheers,

Kath

Thanks Kath!  I will be trying this out pretty soon!  :-)

• Linwelly said:
    TreeDee said:

If you found a good tutorial let us know, I will have a look around, but up to now have no experience with fur myself. If you have a noisemap for that fur you can try to dial that up, not sure about the result though.

What you shoud keep in mind though is that your girl is on the toony side of characters. Think if you want to go further that way, then it would make sense to do so with the fur experiement as well.

TreeDee said:

If you're using photoshop why not edit the materials in photoshop and then bring them into Daz? I've found this really handy... Photoshop bridge isn't working for me at the moment so I export the model as a .obj then open it in Photoshop, paint and play with the materials then export the files from PS and attach them through surfaces in Daz... there is probably an easier way to do it but I found that a really effective way to get good results.

That sounds an interesting technique in PS!  I will have to try that!  Wow, there is soooo much to learn this month... I have never used the Texture Editor or LIE plus tons more stuff to try and experiment with!

You can also use photoshop to generate the bump and normal mats for your new texture. Look under the Filter/3D menu. 

Copying over the original texture for personal use is fine but if you're going to do something more with it then you have to change up the UV's to stay clear of copyright issues. You can also do that in Photoshop quite easily.

At least the personal use is my understanding. If I'm wrong hopefully a mod will let us know. 

I just find the original texture file, right click, and create a shortcut and move it to the desktop. When I'm ready to dive into Photoshop, I go to File/Open and navigate to the shortcut, which opens the actual texture file. I have my own folder set up for the textures I create so I don't accidentally save over the original file.

Cheers,

Kath

Okay gang - here goes nothing, I've been putting together video tutorials on using Photoshop for PRE work. lol! I'm planning on posting them to YouTube with some of my custom brushes for Photoshop available for download on deviantART. 

I'm primarily concentrating on hair and fur. Now this is taking the original textures, developing your own in photoshop then bringing them back in for use on your model. So they're only personal use, you can't use them commercially. 

That project got a little sidelined when I had to reinstall Windows 10 and then of course my dad going into the hospital. But I do have all of the videos and stuff, they just need to be edited and put together. If this is what y'all are going for, I can share what I have here, if you like.

If you're going for creating hair like with Garabaldi or LAMH, then this wouldn't apply at all, so I didn't want to post anything and derail stuff. hehe!

Cheers,

Kath

Linwelly said:
    TreeDee said:

TreeDee said:

Cheers,

Kath

Okay gang - here goes nothing, I've been putting together video tutorials on using Photoshop for PRE work. lol! I'm planning on posting them to YouTube with some of my custom brushes for Photoshop available for download on deviantART. 

I'm primarily concentrating on hair and fur. Now this is taking the original textures, developing your own in photoshop then bringing them back in for use on your model. So they're only personal use, you can't use them commercially. 

That project got a little sidelined when I had to reinstall Windows 10 and then of course my dad going into the hospital. But I do have all of the videos and stuff, they just need to be edited and put together. If this is what y'all are going for, I can share what I have here, if you like.

If you're going for creating hair like with Garabaldi or LAMH, then this wouldn't apply at all, so I didn't want to post anything and derail stuff. hehe!

Cheers,

Kath

I would find this useful. 

• Boy, you guys are just posting like bunnies this month.  There are already more posts than we had at this time last month.  I still need to go through and catch up on posts and look at all the renders, but thought I would put my bear up so others can see what I have done while I catch up.  I followed AM's tutorial with his new wolf and everything went well.  I changed a few surface settings to get the wolf the way I wanted him to look.  He turned out so well that I added some woods and a knight and decided to enter him in the PC Anniversary contest.  I had a few hangups when I then tried to do the same with the bear cub.  I don't know if it is because he is an older model, but I had a more difficult time getting the bear cub to render after hitting him with the Iray Uber shader.  Let me tell you, naked bear isn't quite the look I was going for.  However, I did manage to finally get him to render and then played with his settings.  There are two renders.  The first one is the bear with just the Iray Uber Shader applied and only the ruins HDR for lighting.  I didn't have the camera setup correctly and cut off his head, but since this was just my reference I didn't fix it before going on to the next step.  I used this as my base reference to see if the changes I made actually made a difference.  The second bear: I changed some of the surface settings like the surface color and the glossy layered weight as well as a few others.  I added some lighting that I think helps him look a little more realistic.  Now I have to find an appropriate background and add the thing he is looking at and playing with.  I have Orestes Falling Leaves and Orestes Trees and thought it would make an interesting render to have my bear cub sitting amonst the trees playing with the leaves floating in the air.  So, that is the scene I'm setting up and will render overnight now that I think the bear is where I want him.  The only thing I don't like is how his back feet are so shiny now.  I think it is a lighting issue and I will try adjusting the pose to see if that helps.  Now, I'm off to catch up and see what everyone else has been doing..

BearCubIray01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 169K
    BearCubIray03.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 125K
  • lucasdestooplucasdestoop Posts: 97
    edited November 2015

Brighter this time. Used blood brushes from KeRen-R in the Gimp on the basic genesis 2 female textures. Now for more detail I guess

Sonja11 said:

The blood looks great!  (I can't believe I just typed that lol).  I really like the way this is put together.  Her skin and the whispy see through layers on her clothes look good.  The only thing that really caught my eye was the weapon (mace or hammer) that she has raised over her head blends into the background a bit.  Maybe a slightly lighter color for that might bring it more into focus.  I am sure other, wiser eyes than mine can help with the technical stuff. 

Thx ;). I was thinking the same thing so i tried a new environment. And i have more room for lights and other objects. Now more work on the pose and then the rest of the objects. For the texture for the carpet i used the free pixar texture library https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/114/library-pixar-one-twenty-eight.html. They all have a bump and a normal map

jpg
    jpg
    november2a.jpg
    1M
    november2a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by lucasdestoop on
  • Linwelly said:
    TreeDee said:

Couldn't find a good single tutorial but there is a lot of info out there... I was going to make this more toony but then started getting stuck into the fur so may have to change it which is the great thing about 3D... you can just change it.

My latest cat fur :)

CatPounce.jpg
    800 x 640 - 272K

Boy, you guys are just posting like bunnies this month.  There are already more posts than we had at this time last month.  I still need to go through and catch up on posts and look at all the renders, but thought I would put my bear up so others can see what I have done while I catch up.  I followed AM's tutorial with his new wolf and everything went well.  I changed a few surface settings to get the wolf the way I wanted him to look.  He turned out so well that I added some woods and a knight and decided to enter him in the PC Anniversary contest.  I had a few hangups when I then tried to do the same with the bear cub.  I don't know if it is because he is an older model, but I had a more difficult time getting the bear cub to render after hitting him with the Iray Uber shader.  Let me tell you, naked bear isn't quite the look I was going for.  However, I did manage to finally get him to render and then played with his settings.  There are two renders.  The first one is the bear with just the Iray Uber Shader applied and only the ruins HDR for lighting.  I didn't have the camera setup correctly and cut off his head, but since this was just my reference I didn't fix it before going on to the next step.  I used this as my base reference to see if the changes I made actually made a difference.  The second bear: I changed some of the surface settings like the surface color and the glossy layered weight as well as a few others.  I added some lighting that I think helps him look a little more realistic.  Now I have to find an appropriate background and add the thing he is looking at and playing with.  I have Orestes Falling Leaves and Orestes Trees and thought it would make an interesting render to have my bear cub sitting amonst the trees playing with the leaves floating in the air.  So, that is the scene I'm setting up and will render overnight now that I think the bear is where I want him.  The only thing I don't like is how his back feet are so shiny now.  I think it is a lighting issue and I will try adjusting the pose to see if that helps.  Now, I'm off to catch up and see what everyone else has been doing..

This came along very good, the fur is reacting nice to the environment light so thumbs up!

Some hints: The hair on the head looks a bit short to my feeling, but I don't have your reference in my mind right now. The skin surface on the paws looks very glossy, I guess the secularity is very high? The eyes look a bit strange to me, do they come like this with the bear cup? For most animals you don't see the white in the eye except they are in great fear and the irises should be almost as dark as the pupils.

I look forward seeing it in the leaves.

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

Here's what I left running overnight.

I like the fire and its glow on the floor very much, the stucture seem very palpable. But I have the feeling that you have a rather high tile number on your walls, the repetition is quite obvious. If you want that effect, that is ok not you might want to go down with the tile number. Alternatively you could try different surfaces on the walls or the ceiling. But these are just ideas The render over all looks really good!

Thanks for your input. The entire tunnel that he is in is one surface, so what I did was reduce the tiling from 4*4 to 1*1.

I think I prefer the tile like this, probably reduce the specular strength, as it looks very glossy now. Just for information if you ever want to subdivide the surface of something that comes as one like this tunnel, you can use the geometry editor and assing a new surface to some areas which then can be handled independently. Once you have marked all surface parts you want to change with the yellowish grid of that tool right click on the selected surface and the popup menue offers you several options, I ususally go by geaometry assignment and the select "create new surface from selection" That will show up in the surfaces tab of the object.

I experamented with the geometry editor to keep the floor the concrete I was using, while changing the rest of the tunnel to brick.  Still need to mess with the specular strength.

nov2015f.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 888K

Sonja11 said:

The blood looks great!  (I can't believe I just typed that lol).  I really like the way this is put together.  Her skin and the whispy see through layers on her clothes look good.  The only thing that really caught my eye was the weapon (mace or hammer) that she has raised over her head blends into the background a bit.  Maybe a slightly lighter color for that might bring it more into focus.  I am sure other, wiser eyes than mine can help with the technical stuff. 

Thx ;). I was thinking the same thing so i tried a new environment. And i have more room for lights and other objects. Now more work on the pose and then the rest of the objects. For the texture for the carpet i used the free pixar texture library https://community.renderman.pixar.com/article/114/library-pixar-one-twenty-eight.html. They all have a bump and a normal map

This looks pretty good!  I think you need to make the weapons less shiny.  If she just got done using them on a corpse they would not be so clean and shiny

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

The materials challenge is really cool. Keeping up with the thread is a bit of a challenge. smiley

I recently purchased the IDG Iray Fx Props and Shaders and have been having a lot of fun playing with these. One thing I wanted to do was to experiment with the Layered Image Editor (LIE). It is pretty amazing what you can do with this and I figured I'd show what I did. I wanted to create an electric type effect in the eyes of the actor.

1. I used the IDG package noted above to create a torus shape, provided in the product, against a black background (simple plane). 
    2. I picked a cool effect to apply to it. (So many to choose from.)
    3. I sized the torus relative to the iris in the actor's eye using the accompanying morphs to get the ratio of thickness of the torus and opening in the center about right to cover the iris and not the pupil.
    4. I rendered and saved the image.
    5. In Gimp turned the background to transparent.
    6. Sized the image and duplicated it (two eyes after all) so that it was the right size and placement for the LIE. In order to do this, I hovered over the "Base" dropdown arrow in the iris surface selection for my actor. This showed me the path to the file used to draw the eyes. By copying this file into a different layer in Gimp, I could size my electric overlays properly and have them correctly oriented in the image.
    7. Back in Daz, I applied the image to the iris surface using the LIE.
      1. I opened the LIE (click on the dropdown arrow for "Base" and choose Layered Image Editor from the popup)
      2. Added a layer.
      3. Selected my new file I created in Gimp.
      4. Played with the opacity a bit until satisfied..

This is pretty straight forward and I repeated the exercise with a different effect as well. The end result is really cool - subtle, but cool. IMHO

The image I've attached is Arabella 7 with the LIE image applied. I've also included the two LIE images I created in case someone wants to play with it more quickly (I'm assuming a save as will download the image - although not sure if the transparency will be preserved). This is the first thing I've done with the LIE and I find I'm starting to dream up more stuff to do with it. When looking through the user gallery, it seems like it is the little touches that really transform an image from average to really eye-catching. Love these challenges.

Now I have to learn about geometry shells.

Hope this helps or inspires.

ElectricEyes1.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 167K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    Sonja11 said:

As Promised the render even though it didn't get beyong 47% in IRay. So I would like to have any and all comments and advice on this WIP plz n ty.

I think I would start with giving the dragon some color and texture.  And maybe seeing if you can get a woolen or linen look on the girls dress.  Maybe turn her body a bit more toward the dragon so they are interacting a tiny bit more.

Thanks Sonja for the great advice, I think you right as I was reading your comments.... I looked at the woman and she is kinda ridged almost no expression so I will def be tweeking her and the dragon to cause he is certently in bad need of color.

• Linwelly said:

This came along very good, the fur is reacting nice to the environment light so thumbs up!

Some hints: The hair on the head looks a bit short to my feeling, but I don't have your reference in my mind right now. The skin surface on the paws looks very glossy, I guess the secularity is very high? The eyes look a bit strange to me, do they come like this with the bear cup? For most animals you don't see the white in the eye except they are in great fear and the irises should be almost as dark as the pupils.

I look forward seeing it in the leaves.

The fur length is the way AM did the fur.  All I did was export the geometry that he had in place.  I could lengthen the fur, but the reference photos I grabbed from google all had the fur for cubs at about that length.  I'm guessing their fur doesn't lengthen and thicken up until they are older.  However, even the full grown bear has shorter fur on the top of the head.  From what I can tell with a google search, AM did a spot on job with his cub.  I'm not happy with how shiny his feet are either.  I thought it might be the lighting, but I'll play with the specularity settings and see if that makes a difference.  His eyes are how they are on the texture map.  I haven't ever played with modifying a texture map, but it is something on my DAZ todo list.  I may have to see what I can do if there isn't a eye option that I like in the materials section.  They are kind of dark and I don't think they were quite that dark in the 3Delight version which means my settings may have impacted the eyes as AM doesn't have the bear parts split up the same as most of his newer models.  I don't know if I can set new materials on the bear, but that may be an option so that I can split the body from the eyes.  I'll have to look into that.  It isn't something I've played with yet.

I don't have an updated render yet.  I managed to crash DS last night.  I think I discovered just how many resources my computer can handle before it screams "NO MORE!!!"  Even though I had the bear saved, apparently, the geometry has to be exported each time you load your file.  At the moment, DS doesn't keep a copy of the exported geometry anywhere.  That may changed as AM does more work on it, but currently, I haven't discovered a way to save it and when I crashed last night I lost the geometry.  It does look like all of my settings were saved, though, so I don't have to start completely from scratch.

I've attached a few bear cub reference photos that I found on Google.  The last one is so close to my pose that I'm lucky to have it as a reference.  It was totally coincidental, too, as I had my pose (one that came with the bear with slight modification) set before I found it.