November 2015 New User Contest "Materials" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    isidorn said:

Greetings!  I need a ruling on the acceptability of the attached image.  If it is suitable, would love some feedback.  Thanks! smiley

Hall of Stone, 18"x24"

Others have already given good advice so I'll just give a personal opinion, so please feel free to ignore me. wink I really like the concept. Good work there. The things I noticed about the statues are that the left woman's left foot is in the air and the right woman's left leg also seems to be that. I would think that a statue would have these parts connect to the ground for more stabilty. Perhaps even make a base for them to stand on? Or even have them "melt" into it to give a feeling it's all cut out from one block of stone. Also, the left cat's pose looks to me like it's sharpening its claws on the statue, which I doubt it would try to do on stone.

Sonja11, I like the concept you got going there. Looking forward to see how it shapes up.

As for my own project... After finally picking up all the pieces of my exploded brain I made this. I've used the lights that comes with the set (DM's Stones of Graith) which is four spotlights with different colours and the AtmoCam for Iray for the background atmosphere. I've adjusted the skin according to step 2 in this guide but haven't applied the water layer as that is not the look I'm going for. I also applied the emissive shader to the wings of the Mystikoi but that didn't seem to do much.

I need to do something about the hair, as it kind of looks like it's painted. Any other suggestions and tips are much appreciated. (Working in Iray)

(Seems my original render file was too large to attach, so this is a scaled down version)

Love the way the wings glow a bit.  I can't help with Iray as I haven't ventured very far into those waters.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

One of the projects I want to use is to recreate a space suit for M4 or Genesis as shown in the following photos.  Not really sure where to start?  Should I use a "bodysuit" and then create a new texture (light blue)?  It looks like I will need a Bump or Displacement map, or both to get the ribbed texture of the suit.

Starting with a bodysuit and a displacement texture would be a good idea. 

edited November 2015

Okay.  I changed the background the forest was too busy and you couldn't really see the details of the main characters very well.  I made a plane and pulled a premade background onto it.  (I was shocked and pleased at how very easy that was).  I changed the color and texture of the straps on the armour, changed the metal buttons to a copper and made the metal plates less shiny since he is a working dragon and its been a long day.  No polished armour.  Changed her undershirt to a more soft grey fabric. Worked on her hair and forgot it has three or four sections so now I need to go in and get them to all the same numbers.  Added a pin light to the fire but I think its too bright.  I need to soften it and have it spread a bit further I think.  The first one the distant light is the preset.  The second one I changed the distant light color to a darker blue so it would be just around or past twilight.  I used the rule of thirds with the dragon being on the lower left point.  Opinions and suggestions are welcome.  I am leaning toward the darker one but want to play with the light colors and the fire a bit more. The ground is a tile shader.

I would like to add a bit of grunge to the womans clothing as well as to the dragons armour but not sure how to accomplish this without doing post work.  I don't have any grunge shaders. And even if I did I dont' know how to selectively apply it to only patches of skin and clothing.  (Is that even possible).  I do however have a vast array of textures that I use in photo shop and could add that in postwork if its allowed.

Weary Dragon and Warrior WIP2.jpg
    884 x 884 - 503K
    Weary Dragon and Warrior WIP3.jpg
    884 x 884 - 369K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • mjc1016 said:

One of the projects I want to use is to recreate a space suit for M4 or Genesis as shown in the following photos.  Not really sure where to start?  Should I use a "bodysuit" and then create a new texture (light blue)?  It looks like I will need a Bump or Displacement map, or both to get the ribbed texture of the suit.

Starting with a bodysuit and a displacement texture would be a good idea. 

Sounds good!  Thank you!

edited November 2015

@dHandle 

Its very strange I got your message in my email but its not showing in my messages here  at all.  In fact none of my recent messages are showing.  I'm sorry you didn't get it (I was pretty proud of myself, it was a detailed map to each item lol)  should have saved it I could have resent it.  Sorry!

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    Sonja11 said:

Sonja11 said:

The link for creating plants from textures is wrong its issue 07 http://issuu.com/philatdsc/docs/ds_creative_07

Corrected, thank you.

Wow!  I never even knew about this!  AWESOME!!!  ;-)   "DS Creative"  I have some catching up to do!

I know right?  Sooo much info and lots of super cool freebies!

Sonja11 said:

I would like to add a bit of grunge to the womans clothing as well as to the dragons armour but not sure how to accomplish this without doing post work.  I don't have any grunge shaders. And even if I did I dont' know how to selectively apply it to only patches of skin and clothing.  (Is that even possible).  I do however have a vast array of textures that I use in photo shop and could add that in postwork if its allowed.

There's a couple of ways of going about that...

One, postwork, you are already familiar with and that one doesn't really need much mention, except that it isn't partuclarly 'materials and surface' related.

Another is to use some general overlays and apply them with the LIE (Layered Image Editor).  This can do well for a general effect and with a bit of effort, even a targetted/localized on.  But you are somewhat limited in what you can do...there only a couple of ways of blending those layers and multiple masks and such are difficult to impossible to pull off.

Then there is using the texture templates and building a completely new texture set...this can be as simple as just redoing the diffuse map or going all the way and redoing all the maps (diffuse, specular, bump/displacement and any others in the set).  This route can aslo provide you with a 'final' overlay that can be used in the LIE. 

mjc1016 said:
    Sonja11 said:

One, postwork, you are already familiar with and that one doesn't really need much mention, except that it isn't partuclarly 'materials and surface' related.

Another is to use some general overlays and apply them with the LIE (Layered Image Editor).  This can do well for a general effect and with a bit of effort, even a targetted/localized on.  But you are somewhat limited in what you can do...there only a couple of ways of blending those layers and multiple masks and such are difficult to impossible to pull off.

Then there is using the texture templates and building a completely new texture set...this can be as simple as just redoing the diffuse map or going all the way and redoing all the maps (diffuse, specular, bump/displacement and any others in the set).  This route can aslo provide you with a 'final' overlay that can be used in the LIE. 

Hmm redoing the maps sounds rather interesting if time consuming.  I want to learn to do really good texturing anyway so may give this a go. Thank you!

• Sonja11 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Sonja11 said:

Hmm redoing the maps sounds rather interesting if time consuming.  I want to learn to do really good texturing anyway so may give this a go. Thank you!

If you're using photoshop why not edit the materials in photoshop and then bring them into Daz? I've found this really handy... Photoshop bridge isn't working for me at the moment so I export the model as a .obj then open it in Photoshop, paint and play with the materials then export the files from PS and attach them through surfaces in Daz... there is probably an easier way to do it but I found that a really effective way to get good results.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650

Well, I got everything installed aside from the "Pookie Bear".  It appears that the Website has closed new registration :-(

White Rabbit, This link will show you how to register at FaerieWyld.

TreeDee said:

If you're using photoshop why not edit the materials in photoshop and then bring them into Daz? I've found this really handy... Photoshop bridge isn't working for me at the moment so I export the model as a .obj then open it in Photoshop, paint and play with the materials then export the files from PS and attach them through surfaces in Daz... there is probably an easier way to do it but I found that a really effective way to get good results.

That's certainly one way to do it...but since I don't have PS, I can't give tips on how to do it.  Also any 3D paint program would allow the same...

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited November 2015

I do have a bear cub render that I started working on while waiting for the new thread that I might use as I can already see an advantage of changing surface settings and changing shaders might help.  I haven't done much other than throw the little guy into Worldbase and pose him, but I have some thoughts marinating in the back of my head.  I'm actually thinking of dropping the skydome and swapping everything over to Iray.  AM has a tutorial on his youtube for getting the LAMH product to work in Iray and this will give me a chance to try it out. 

Great start, everyone, on your renders this month.

Knittingmommy, cute bear.  Here are a few things to shoot for.  In addition to getting the materials and surfaces right, the companion that will make your materials/surfaces really work for you will be the lighting.  It will be a combination of the two.  If you look at the two bear images I've attached to compare to your initial render, hopefully what you see in the photos is the way the light shows off the tufts of fur.  This will make the difference in making the fur feel dense and reactive to light.  The fur should have specular and the lighting will enhance this, so they work hand in hand.  This goes not just for fur, but for anything.  You can have top-notch materials that don't look right because the lighting isn't working in tandem.  Also, make sure that the eyes and nose have good specular; they are bright, wet areas on the bear.  The pads will have specular, depending on how much dry dirt, which can dull the shine down.  Just some things to consider. :)

Whenever possible, pick up scads of reference, if the objects are things you can find photos for, to see just how the surfaces work and react with light and environment.  An artist is, more than anything, an observer and then we translate those observations in our own particular style to paper, canvas, cinema or digital realm.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Kitti said:

I had an issue once with kinky grass.  I was advised to try appling subdiv.  Some items already have subdiv applied to them.  If that is the case you might need to increase the values.  Go slowly.  It increases render time.

If subdiv isn't applied you need to add it to the hair.  I cannot remember the process off the top of my head and I am not at my rendering computer.

I will check back in when I get home.

In the Scene Tab choose the hair.  Click on the icon made up of lines and an arrow > Edit > Geometry > Convert to SubD

Under the Parameters Tab > Mesh Resolution > Increase SubDivision Level

In Image 1 is a cattail grass prop with no adjustments.  You can see the kinking in the grass blades

Image 2 I applied SubDivision.  No other adjustments.  Just doing this got rid of most of the kinks.

Image 3 I increased the SubDivision Level under the Paramaters tab from 1 to 2.

Thank you soooo much for this lesson!  This has aggrevated me for over a year.  Wow, what a simple fix!  Attached file is a test application of your instructions.  Again, thanks.  smiley

One thing to keep in mind if you use HD morphs, they do not work with Catmull (Legacy).  I found that out the hard way.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    Sonja11 said:

Okay.  I changed the background the forest was too busy and you couldn't really see the details of the main characters very well.  I made a plane and pulled a premade background onto it.  (I was shocked and pleased at how very easy that was).  I changed the color and texture of the straps on the armour, changed the metal buttons to a copper and made the metal plates less shiny since he is a working dragon and its been a long day.  No polished armour.  Changed her undershirt to a more soft grey fabric. Worked on her hair and forgot it has three or four sections so now I need to go in and get them to all the same numbers.  Added a pin light to the fire but I think its too bright.  I need to soften it and have it spread a bit further I think.  The first one the distant light is the preset.  The second one I changed the distant light color to a darker blue so it would be just around or past twilight.  I used the rule of thirds with the dragon being on the lower left point.  Opinions and suggestions are welcome.  I am leaning toward the darker one but want to play with the light colors and the fire a bit more. The ground is a tile shader.

Sonja11, a fun composition. I would move the camera to the left to make the image balance out just a bit more. You have the dragon's right wing almost touching the left border of the image and there is more space between the right side of the image and the dragon's left wing. I would do this because of the square format of the image. I would also pull the campfire into the center of the image. It is very bright and your eye is drawn to the fire and what you really want to do is focus on the girl and dragon. Also by moving the fire into the center of the image you will be bringing back balance to the image.

edited November 2015

Look out - she's back! Well,I hope so anyway, it depends on how many curves and fastballs aimed at my head that life continues to throw. My dad has been in and out of the hospital - this time he's in and once again it's not looking too good. I hope I don't have to disappear, but if I do, that's why.

I hope I can participate with this one because when I jumped into Daz for the first time and entered the May contest I was working on customizing textures and shaders for my own use. I've snagged a number of new Iray shaders recently just not only cause they're really cool but so I can learn from them. I never leave them with just the stock settings, I'm mixing and experimenting and usually creating general chaos.

The fun part is combining things that were never meant to go together. Sometimes it's a hideous disaster, but every once in awhile it turns out amazing - combining the custom character mat with two different Iray skin set ups almost blew up in my face but I managed to salvage it and I think it looks halfway decent. I'm going for that really light sheen of sweet - not soaked or totally dry but very light so the skin is slightly reflective especially in a contrasting light like sunset. This is the Atlas character for M4 and the "legacy" Kouros Hair. This time I'm converting everything to iray, even the stuff we can't see.

I finally have the Iray shaders set on his skin, hair, and sword, but the lightning emissive needs more work and I haven't even touched the background stone textures yet. I fiddled with a lot of environment settings this time around too since light is oh so important in Iray. I like the direction it's going so far. I don't like the pants, grieves and bracers, so I'm probably going to change those out. He's a real challenge when it comes to poke-thru. I swear, nothing fits him! lol! Anyway, whatcha y'all think so far?

You have a good start on this one.  Lots of action with the hair and the lightening.

One suggestion is to adjust the camera back slightly so that the toes of his left foot are not cut off.

I agree the textures on the rocks need work.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

If I may add to Kismet's fine suggestions...

They are, of course, only suggestions and the visual suggestions were quickly done to try to bring across the points.  I did have a hard time working with him with the background...somehow it's fighting him.  :)  I look forward to seeing what more you do.

orb.jpg
    830 x 1116 - 169K
  • Greetings all!

Moulin Rouge image on the left is largely based on "default" settings.  Lighting in both images is identical. Rendered using Iray.  Adjustments in image on the right were made under the "surfaces" tab.  Some changes are subtle, others more dramatic.  Thanks to this contest, I have a much better understanding of these settings and their impact. I thought sharing might be of interest.  Learning this is trial and error and modestly time consuming, but well worth the investment.  Enjoy!  blush

Glad you're learning.  I am not familiar with the hair, but is it pushed in a bit too much on the sides?

• DollyGirl said:
    icecrmn said:

I got a question on control maps.

If I understand the maps correctly, bump maps fake the height changes of the surface using light tricks, but don't change the geometry.

Depending on the camera/light angle this effect can be seen. For instance on round objects the curved edge is still flat.

Normal maps are better bump maps, but also don't actually change the geometry.

Displacement maps do change the geometry.

so here's my question.

If I am using a displacement map, do I need bump or normal maps?

It would seem pointless to fake it with bump/normal maps if I'm actaully doing it with displacement.

As Linwelly has said you can use both in a render. That is where the "art" comes in. In the image below from the Landscape and Scene thread, notice the mountain in the background. You see the dark cracks and rivulets on it face. I used a combination of both displacement and bump. Why? Because I wanted to have darker shadows along with a change in the surfaces. So by using displacement I got bumps that cast shadows and those same areas were also accentuated by bump calculations to enhance the shadows. I am saying that these are tools and to say yes don't use them in conjunction may be limiting your options. I know that I was surprized with how much more interesting my image became when I did use both. It could have gone the other way just as well and tore up the mesh so badly that it detracted instead of enhanced. Sometimes you just got to play and see.

Another thing to keep in mind with Displacement vs. Bump is that you can only displace the mesh so far before getting distortions.  This may be another reason to use both.

Not everything is a solution to every problem.  What works in one render/image may not work in the next.  You have to test different things to get the results you desire.

Think of displacement as changing silhouette, and normal and bump for adding detail.  It's an excellent way to work with existing models like those from Daz.  

edited November 2015

the idea 

This is 3Dlight but i was thinking of trying Iray istead. One question, is Reality allowed? 

I did an auto-adjust for levels to see what you had in your pic.  You have a good start.

levels.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 176K
    edited November 2015
    Sonja11 said:

This is what I am working on.  this is very very basic with minimal light.  Just basically have all of the items in the scene.  Not posed where I want them just yet. I did work a bit on her hair and her clothes, changed the colors of the outfit and put a texture on the dragon and his armour. But still in the very basic stages.

Good start; now to focus things.

Some suggestions:

Work with the lighting to simulate the warmth of the firelight within what would basically a cool environment:  forest in the evening.  Here I dropped the levels down and saturated things a bit.  I cooled down the image with warm tones at the campfire.  The fireglow would be cast onto the figures and the shadows would be dark because of the strong but small light.  

Try different croppings using the law of thirds and the Golden Spiral to guide you to focus on the figures in the scene.  Look for reference photos of people at campfires to see what you can observe.

I also pulled in the campfire closer to them.

I look forward to you developing this.

campfire.jpg
    532 x 821 - 61K
  • @ giovannipaoloartist:  I really like the subtle use of the volumetric dust on the floor.  Not overdone at all, and adds a sense of depth and age to the shot. 

@ Sonja11: anytime you're looking for materials that seem to be hiding, check the "Pose" folder for that directory in the Content Manager.  As a holdover from Poser, I think, a lot of mats still end up there.

Thanks!smiley

• Kitti said:

Thank you soooo much for this lesson!  This has aggrevated me for over a year.  Wow, what a simple fix!  Attached file is a test application of your instructions.  Again, thanks.  smiley

One thing to keep in mind if you use HD morphs, they do not work with Catmull (Legacy).  I found that out the hard way.

Thanks for the heads up!smiley

TreeDee said:
    Sonja11 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Sonja11 said:

What type of file would I save this as and how do I get them into the surfaces tab here?  I have been playing with templates for a dress (different project) and usually just click on the diffuse tab and browse to the file to apply.  I dont know how to actually get a texture file into Daz.   I can't use the bridge since I have elements and not the full program

Sonja11 said:

This is what I am working on.  this is very very basic with minimal light.  Just basically have all of the items in the scene.  Not posed where I want them just yet. I did work a bit on her hair and her clothes, changed the colors of the outfit and put a texture on the dragon and his armour. But still in the very basic stages.

Good start; now to focus things.

Some suggestions:

Work with the lighting to simulate the warmth of the firelight within what would basically a cool environment:  forest in the evening.  Here I dropped the levels down and saturated things a bit.  I cooled down the image with warm tones at the campfire.  The fireglow would be cast onto the figures and the shadows would be dark because of the strong but small light.  

Try different croppings using the law of thirds and the Golden Spiral to guide you to focus on the figures in the scene.  Look for reference photos of people at campfires to see what you can observe.

I also pulled in the campfire closer to them.

I look forward to you developing this.

Thank you!  I am definitely working on the lighting to make the campfire light better.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Sonja11 said:

You could take those textures for Photoshop and create a grunge texture that you can overlay on the clothing, skin and dragon armour by using either a Geometry Shell or in LIE.  If using the Geometry shell method you would also need a transparency map.

I'll try to create some guidelines for you and will post when done.

DollyGirl said:
    Sonja11 said:

Sonja11, a fun composition. I would move the camera to the left to make the image balance out just a bit more. You have the dragon's right wing almost touching the left border of the image and there is more space between the right side of the image and the dragon's left wing. I would do this because of the square format of the image. I would also pull the campfire into the center of the image. It is very bright and your eye is drawn to the fire and what you really want to do is focus on the girl and dragon. Also by moving the fire into the center of the image you will be bringing back balance to the image.

Thank you!  I had the fire in the middle originally and it blocked the line of site for the girl.  so I may just do a bit of overall rearranging.  The dragon is on the bottom point of the rule of thirds but I think I will add something to the scene yet to balance things out a bit.  Maybe a bedroll and some gear slightly in the background as well

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    Sonja11 said:

@dHandle 

Its very strange I got your message in my email but its not showing in my messages here  at all.  In fact none of my recent messages are showing.  I'm sorry you didn't get it (I was pretty proud of myself, it was a detailed map to each item lol)  should have saved it I could have resent it.  Sorry!

Thanks Sonja11!  I've never gotten a message in the messages thingy here.  And I didn't get a copy of your message in my email.  I must have a box unchecked somewhere.  I am finding some of the materials.  I found the mats for the backdrop even before someone posted about it.  I went back to the .zip file ( i normally delete those imediately) and looked in the file structure and noticed something about the pose folder.  When I went and looked, the materials for the backdrop were in there, and they worked just fine.

The problem is...am I really supposed to remember where they are for the next project 3 months from now?

You mentioned it took you 3 weeks to get your file structure organized so you can find stuff easily. 

Ouch.

Anyway..thanks for taking the time to help out. I don't want to hijack this thread any further, and distract people from learning the new stuff for this month.   I will get this sorted eventually.  Heck, I haven't even started thinking about this month's project yet!

: )

David

• the idea 

This is 3Dlight but i was thinking of trying Iray istead. One question, is Reality allowed? 

I did an auto-adjust for levels to see what you had in your pic.  You have a good start.

Thank you, I'm goning to stick with 3Delight for this one, was reading about the renderer and they did things like District 9 with it.

It is a bit dark idd 

Here is the Geometry Shell Tutorial.  I hope it makes sense to anyone interested in trying this technique. 

pdf
    pdf
    Geometry Shell_Grunge Map Tutorial.pdf
    Sonja11 said:
    TreeDee said:
    Sonja11 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Sonja11 said:

What type of file would I save this as and how do I get them into the surfaces tab here?  I have been playing with templates for a dress (different project) and usually just click on the diffuse tab and browse to the file to apply.  I dont know how to actually get a texture file into Daz.   I can't use the bridge since I have elements and not the full program

I tend to save texture files in jpg format but others might be better.

To get a file into the surfaces tab you click on the down arrow beside the channel > choose browse at the top of the window that opens > go to file location on your computer > click open

Diffuse Channel.jpg
    1370 x 730 - 222K
    Browse.jpg
    1370 x 730 - 229K
    Browse File Location.jpg
    1370 x 730 - 156K
  • kathrynlochkathrynloch Posts: 378
    edited November 2015
    dHandle said:

Well, here we go again.

: (

This is why I have lost interest in DAZ 3D and walked away from it over and over again for the past 2 years. (Only to come back some time later and try again.)

I can't get past the disaster that is the file structure when trying to save models and props, etc into the correct location on my hard drive without using the Install Manager.  I can never figure out where to put free things, for example, and if I try to put things somewhere, I can never find them in DS.  It seems every designer puts things together into their .zip files in a different way, and I can never figure out where to put them.  DAZ locations,  Daz Library, My DAZ Library, Poser locations, DAZ Library, My DAZ Library, runtimes, props, figures, people, materials, geometries, data.

It's hopeless.

I tried to download all the files for this project that DollyGirl is starting, and got most of them. But I'm never going to be able to get them saved so I can find them in the program.

Oh well...maybe next month... 

I'm not sure if I should post this here but I made some screenshots for some tricks I've figured out because this drives me nuts too. It's the only complaint I really have about DAZ otherwise I love the program. But I've started using the 4.9 Public Beta and I've noticed quite a few changes for the better that I really like.

First, if I may ask, why don't you use the install manager? I find it quite handy for two things and I'll show you those in a bit, but first since you don't have the install manager, KA1's suggestion of categories works nicely and there's more you can do in 4.9 (I was working on my entry so ignore the image).

Click the Corner Tab on the Content Library for the popup menu.

Notice I have the boots selected in the Content Library and the DB Editor lists everything that's represented by the icons.

In the top of the Editor, select the one you want to edit.

Let's say you want to add a few tags. At the bottom select the Tags Tab then select the product listing and right click. Another popup menu appears.

Click Add Tags and it opens a little window where you can add your tags separated by a comma.

By doing that you can then use the search box function in the content library and go straight to the product you want in an instant rather than slogging through everything trying to find something.

Of course until you get everything the way you want it, you'll have to slog through stuff adding your categories and tags and whatnot, but it's worth it in the long run. 

I've got some stuff I discovered with the install manager with creating a csv report and using the little I button to quickly figure out where the new stuff is, but I've got real life getting in the way here. I'll have to post it later. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Kath

database editor 1.JPG
    1344 x 731 - 298K
    database editor 2.JPG
    1163 x 982 - 283K
    Post edited by kathrynloch on