Comic - "Charlotte's Magic Life"

1235»

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,453
    edited April 10

I just thought he was trying to add some levity  and cringy humor to the situation to make her more at ease.  Different people react to stress in different manners. As a firefighter he would have a higher tolerance for stressful situation just based on life experience. First responders often have a dark humor in their reactions to events.  Whereas an anxiety prone introvert would be stifled and overwhelmed with events that are almost mundane in contrast.  In the end, as a writer, we must remember "characters are conflict",  the way they react helps us tell our stories. 

The important thing is, he was there and listening,  and her opening up with the backstory was exposition that helped explain her reaction and tied their current predicament. Don't second guess yourself. You are walking the fine line of storytelling that appeals to everyone.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,488

These are so well executed.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

This is my favorite webcomic right now. I am really enjoying it. I agree with FirstBastion. And Kurt's reaction to the situation may not be perfect but I think that's what makes us like the characters - they're so "human" and flawed. That makes the story so believable and the characters feel more real to us. I think you're doing an amazing job keeping the characters consistent and believable as well as keeping the story moving. The building suspense is nice, like the calm before the storm. Wonderful webcomic! Thank you for keeping it PG13 too. Too many comics out there really are offputting by trying to be too "edgy" or pushing it into explicit territory. I like that the story you're making appeals to both men and women in that sense. Thank you!

• David RDavid R Posts: 223

FirstBastion said:

I just thought he was trying to add some levity  and cringy humor to the situation to make her more at ease.  Different people react to stress in different manners. As a firefighter he would have a higher tolerance for stressful situation just based on life experience. First responders often have a dark humor in their reactions to events.  Whereas an anxiety prone introvert would be stifled and overwhelmed with events that are almost mundane in contrast.  In the end, as a writer, we must remember "characters are conflict",  the way they react helps us tell our stories. 

The important thing is, he was there and listening,  and her opening up with the backstory was exposition that helped explain her reaction and tied their current predicament. Don't second guess yourself. You are walking the fine line of storytelling that appeals to everyone.

This was exactly my intention.  Thanks!  

Greybro said:

These are so well executed.

Thanks so much, Greybro.  I hope you're enjoying it. laugh 

3Diva said:

This is my favorite webcomic right now. I am really enjoying it. I agree with FirstBastion. And Kurt's reaction to the situation may not be perfect but I think that's what makes us like the characters - they're so "human" and flawed. That makes the story so believable and the characters feel more real to us. I think you're doing an amazing job keeping the characters consistent and believable as well as keeping the story moving. The building suspense is nice, like the calm before the storm. Wonderful webcomic! Thank you for keeping it PG13 too. Too many comics out there really are offputting by trying to be too "edgy" or pushing it into explicit territory. I like that the story you're making appeals to both men and women in that sense. Thank you!

No, 3Diva, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you 100 times! heart Reading your very kind comment makes me happy and proud to be creating something that is engaging people.  I love these two characters, and I work very hard to keep them true to themselves.  Sometimes, while writing a chapter I find myself saying, "Yeah that's funny, but Kurt would never do that." or, "That's a good joke, but Charlotte would never say that!"  And knowing others care about these two makes me feel like I've accomplished something.  So glad and grateful for your support!  laugh

edited April 25

I've been told that the rules here in the forums are a bit less strict than in the gallery, so I'm posting my favorite romance image of Charlotte and Kurt that was taken down on the gallery side for being to suggestive.

If it stays up, YAY! Thank you.  If not you can see it here: Link removed

You can also vote for us on Top Web Comics here: https://www.topwebcomics.com/vote/27304

Hope you enjoy!

Image removed

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited April 25

crying

Weeelll, I guess you can go to the website and find it yourself.  https://charlottesmagiclife.com

Hint:  It's the latest post.

Post edited by David R on
    edited April 26

Nicely posed and respectful, representing a healthy, loving relationship.

Post edited by FirstBastion on

FirstBastion said:

Nicely posed and respectful, representing a healthy, loving relationship.

Thanks very much, FB.smiley 

edited May 4

Chapter 17 is finally up.  This is a long and very verbose one, but it marks a turning point in the story.  I hope you enjoy! laugh

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-17-good-news/

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 873

I'm really really really really really really glad that this bit of Sophia's evil-doings has been cleared up. It's such a relief! I feel for Charlotte - she must have been feeling awful at the start of the chapter, and the end all that weight must have lifted off her, so yeah, she's relieved, I'm relieved. It's all good, till you make Sophia get up to something else next... Great work on the chapter again, with the posing, interactions and camera work. yes

The only one thing that I miss is being able to zoom into the images to see things in more detail. But it's always a give and take - the web-site set up is great, even if hi-res images may not be practical anymore. Left a comment on the site too, and voted. Well done, David! smiley

SapphireBlue said:

I'm really really really really really really glad that this bit of Sophia's evil-doings has been cleared up. It's such a relief! I feel for Charlotte - she must have been feeling awful at the start of the chapter, and the end all that weight must have lifted off her, so yeah, she's relieved, I'm relieved. It's all good, till you make Sophia get up to something else next... Great work on the chapter again, with the posing, interactions and camera work. yes

The only one thing that I miss is being able to zoom into the images to see things in more detail. But it's always a give and take - the web-site set up is great, even if hi-res images may not be practical anymore. Left a comment on the site too, and voted. Well done, David! smiley

Thanks, Blue.  You can always use the zoom function in your browzer to see a little more detail.  

This was a great resolution type scene tying up all the loose ends of the investigation, yet the writer in me just has this inkling that "story is conflict" and  there's something coming,  we don't know what it is yet,  but its gonna be something.  I really like your renders,  and the distinct characters,  each with a defined unique voice and mannerisms.  The sheer amount of posing and expressions required to develop the panels is quite the task. Its looking great.  And the pacing and camera choices really help move the story forward.

FirstBastion said:

This was a great resolution type scene tying up all the loose ends of the investigation, yet the writer in me just has this inkling that "story is conflict" and  there's something coming,  we don't know what it is yet,  but its gonna be something.  I really like your renders,  and the distinct characters,  each with a defined unique voice and mannerisms.  The sheer amount of posing and expressions required to develop the panels is quite the task. Its looking great.  And the pacing and camera choices really help move the story forward.

Your instincts are correct.  Something is definitely about to happen. surprise  Thanks very much for your kind words. 

I don't know what's coming,  but there is that word "magic" in the title,  so being the "everything in a story happens for a reason"  sort of mindset,  I'm thinking Charlotte is going to be in some dire situation and manifest a skill she doesn't even know she has.  Looking forward to whatever happens.  Have been consistently impressed with the story so far,  looking forward to whatever comes next.

edited May 16

Chapter 18 "The Warning" is up.  This chapter came easy and is fairly short.  But it's a lead-in to, well, you'll see. laugh

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-18-the-warning/

Really like the whole "slice of regular everyday life" casual feel of the scene...   "But if the goulash sucks, it's your fault."  Dude,  man,  you can't go changing the recipe. Seriously,  risking the taste of the sauce to save 12 cents,  ya gotta stick to the recipe.  Brands matter.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 873

Sophia's actions and reactions make me feel rather uncomfortable. There's something rather simple-minded about how she's going about everything, which makes her more unpredictable and dangerous. Not sure where the next chapter is going to go... eek...