Comic - "Charlotte's Magic Life"

Comments

• David RDavid R Posts: 227
    edited February 29

Post edited by David R on
    edited February 29

Kurt finally has a proper Firehouse to work in.  Thank you, @FirstBastion.

edited February 29

Chapter 7, "Two and Two" or "From Silly to Scary in One Minute". 
    Please excuse the low quality of the settings, both exterior and interior.  They were pieced together from primitives and bits of other assets.  I'm having difficulty finding a mobile home model that is right for Charlotte's home.  Yes, there is one in the store, but it's nowhere near right for my needs. 
    Anyway, thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy.

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-two-plus-two/

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,151
    edited September 2023

Just find your story telling to be so amazing. The poses, expressions & feelings are simply so good and true to life. Possibly the characters look a bit stiffer than real people would, but I know it is really hard to create asymmetric soft & realistic poses. I wish I could pose characters so consistently well time after time.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • I just happened to stop by the Art Studio forums after a while today and Chapter 7!! laugh

I think the settings work with your renders and look in place with your other chapters, so I think you did a great job pulling things together for it! yes
    As Richard mentioned above and all of us have been saying, your posing and expressions are really amazing! I'm impressed and inspired, because posing and expressions are sooo hard!
    As for the story... OMG, it's starting to freak me out! surprise Of course now we'll have to wait with bated breath to see what happens in chapter 8... smiley I like how compact and well-structured these chapters are. Great work again David! heart

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Sophia is amazing, in a very creepy sense of the word. I was about to say she was "unbelievable," but I actually used to know a girl who was the same level obsessive and bonkers around guys she took a liking to, so I believe in her very much. laugh Kurt is incredibly cute, though.

• David R said:

[snip]
    I'm having difficulty finding a mobile home model that is right for Charlotte's home.  Yes, there is one in the store, but it's nowhere near right for my needs. 

Do you have a real world example image of what you envision  for the mobile home?  

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,477
    edited September 2023

The pacing and foreshadowing in the writing shows a solid understanding with storytelling,  This slow simmer build of suspense is drawing your audience in. It triggers both concern for the characters and the stress of the situation. Well done.

I will just quote what my grand dad used to always say,  "...don't put off til tomorrow what needs to be done today."  

Post edited by FirstBastion on

richardandtracy said:

Just find your story telling to be so amazing. The poses, expressions & feelings are simply so good and true to life. Possibly the characters look a bit stiffer than real people would, but I know it is really hard to create asymmetric soft & realistic poses. I wish I could pose characters so consistently well time after time.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks very much Richard.  To be honest, I haven't been taking the time I usually do in posing because I want to make progress.  But I guess it shows. sad   

SapphireBlue said:

I just happened to stop by the Art Studio forums after a while today and Chapter 7!! laugh

I think the settings work with your renders and look in place with your other chapters, so I think you did a great job pulling things together for it! yes
    As Richard mentioned above and all of us have been saying, your posing and expressions are really amazing! I'm impressed and inspired, because posing and expressions are sooo hard!
    As for the story... OMG, it's starting to freak me out! surprise Of course now we'll have to wait with bated breath to see what happens in chapter 8... smiley I like how compact and well-structured these chapters are. Great work again David! heart

BLUUUUE! How happy I was to see your comment!  Thanks so very much.  And since you aren't on discord much anymore, I want to tell you how much I enjoyed your book.  It was really well written and interesting.  The only thing need to make it adult content was--well--adult content.laugh  But frankly I liked it just the way it is.  I left a review on Amazon.  

WinterMoon said:

Sophia is amazing, in a very creepy sense of the word. I was about to say she was "unbelievable," but I actually used to know a girl who was the same level obsessive and bonkers around guys she took a liking to, so I believe in her very much. laugh Kurt is incredibly cute, though.

Thanks very much, @WinterMoon.  Sophia is actually based on someone I used to know.smiley 

edited September 2023

FirstBastion said:

David R said:

[snip]
    I'm having difficulty finding a mobile home model that is right for Charlotte's home.  Yes, there is one in the store, but it's nowhere near right for my needs. 

Do you have a real world example image of what you envision  for the mobile home?  

Finding decent pictures of mobile homes has proved a challenge, but this is close.  Something not too shabby and not to fancy, and  big enough for her and her two kids.

Thanks for your kind remarks!laugh

• David R said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Thanks very much Richard.  To be honest, I haven't been taking the time I usually do in posing because I want to make progress.  But I guess it shows. sad   

No, I don't think it shows. It's very common for DS characters to look a bit stiff. It's not hugely noticeable, and it's incredibly hard to avoid. Don't concentrate on the negative, I just mentioned it to try to help you get the last 1%; You've already got the first 99% completely sorted. I haven't seen better anywhere else. Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

David R said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

No, I don't think it shows. It's very common for DS characters to look a bit stiff. It's not hugely noticeable, and it's incredibly hard to avoid. Don't concentrate on the negative, I just mentioned it to try to help you get the last 1%; You've already got the first 99% completely sorted. I haven't seen better anywhere else. Regards, Richard.

Nevertheless I'm going to try to do better, because I know I can.  Thanks for the nudge, Richard. laugh 

edited February 29

I've decided to fill in the space between chapters with some old romance renders of Charlotte and Kurt going back a few years.  This is not only the first render of this couple, it's also the first DAZ render I ever posted in the gallery.  Hope you enjoy.

edited October 2023

Interesting, this location looks like an old European farm house based on the thickness of the walls and the aging of the window sill. Could be a vacation shot or a honeymoon perhaps?  

FirstBastion said:

Interesting, this location looks like an old European farm house based on the thickness of the walls and the aging of the window sill. Could be a vacation shot or a honeymoon perhaps?  

It's a HDRI called "Photo Studio Loft" and I like the way the light falls on the figures.smiley 

FirstBastion said:

Kurt and Charlotte are a few years away from a honeymoon.  laugh 

edited February 29

Chapter 8 "The Night Call,"  featuring FirstBastion's great condo set.

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-night-call/

• Nice work once again, David! Oh dear, the drama deepens... surprise

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

LOL omagosh! crying Poor Kurt! Next time they best bring the white, long-sleeved sweater.

SapphireBlue said:

Nice work once again, David! Oh dear, the drama deepens... surprise

heart 

WinterMoon said:

LOL omagosh! crying Poor Kurt! Next time they best bring the white, long-sleeved sweater.

Why didn't I think of that joke??  laugh 

edited February 29

Charlotte comes to life!

I have some friends on discord and we've been playing around with a phone app called "Revive."  It uses AI to animate and lip synch faces with bits of songs, movie clips, or even your own voice.  I tried it out with this portrait of Charlotte.  It's a little scary, but also kind of sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jEDrRJDBKUU

edited February 29
    edited October 2023

The slow burn sense of threat is almost palpable.  This  is getting serious, and scary.  Excellent pacing on the story telling beats. 

FirstBastion said:

The slow burn sense of threat is almost palpable.  This  is getting serious, and scary.  Excellent pacing on the story telling beats. 

Thanks so much, FirstBastion.  I really love your condo set, btw.  So much great detail.  You can even set the kitchen clock! laugh I saw it and knew it was perfect as Sophia's apartment. 

• I'm one of those people who hates things where people are nasty to each other. This story is getting close to the point where I'm going to have to stop reading as, exactly as FirstBasion says, there is a palpable feeling of menace.

Ah well. Good story, excessively soft reader.

Regards,

Richard.

richardandtracy said:

I'm one of those people who hates things where people are nasty to each other. This story is getting close to the point where I'm going to have to stop reading as, exactly as FirstBasion says, there is a palpable feeling of menace.

Ah well. Good story, excessively soft reader.

Regards,

Richard.

Oh no, Richard!  Please continue reading.  The next chapter is a lot more lighthearted, I promise.
    Look at it this way.  Sophia is to be pitied.  She's very lonely, but she's wasting her time by obsessing on something she can never have.  She's a tragic character.  There have been times, as I've written this, when I have felt sorry for her.   But as a tragic character she must eventually lose.

edited February 26

"Try not to get yourself killed."