Comic - "Charlotte's Magic Life"

David RDavid R Posts: 214
edited February 26 in Art Studio

Welcome to “Charlotte’s Magic Life,” my DAZ comic experiment.  It is based on two characters that live in my gallery and whom I’ve grown very fond of, a young lady named Charlotte and her lover, Kurt.  There is no Sci-fi, or fantasy (although I may add some fantasy elements in the future).   It’s not Manga or anything like that.  Just sort of “domestic comedy” intended to amuse as it follows Charlotte and Kurt’s lives together and separately in the fictional city of Farrington New Hampshire.  The style is straight DAZ with minimal post-work because I want to be able to work quickly and get stuff done. 

What you need to know about the main characters:

Charlotte Rose Coleman is a divorced mother of two, who leads a normal if challenging life and lives in a mobile home on the outskirts of town.  Her office job keeps a roof over her family’s heads, but it can be a struggle sometimes.  She'd love to leave the trailer for a nice house in the country, but financially, that seems out of reach.  She has at times felt like a hopeless loser, but that seemed to change when she met…

Kurt Leandro Ulrich, bachelor, never married, and up until now never in a serious relationship.  When in his 20's he was something of a hound, but as he approached 30 he decided maybe there are more important things than, as he put it, “what’s goin’ on between my two big toes.”  Then he met the love of his life.   He is a firefighter with the Farrington Fire Department because he never outgrew a love for the dream job of so many young boys.  He lives in a rather tacky downtown apartment.

The first story in what I hope will be a series is titled “Sophia,” and involves a woman who…well, you’ll see. 

This is chapter 1.  I will post the first few pages as screenshots and the whole chapter as an attached PDF if you want to read on.  I really hope you enjoy it, and feel free to comment on anything.

Link to the website

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-the-open-house/

Post edited by David R on

Comments

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 857

Yay! So great this is up here now. It's looking great!! laugh

I'm glad to have this backstory for Charlotte and Kurt. Had no idea! surprise

• David RDavid R Posts: 214

SapphireBlue said:

Yay! So great this is up here now. It's looking great!! laugh

I'm glad to have this backstory for Charlotte and Kurt. Had no idea! surprise

Thanks for stopping by, Blue!smiley

• EveEve Posts: 3

Awwwww YEEAAAAAAH! \o/

edited July 2023

SilentHunter said:

Awwwww YEEAAAAAAH! \o/

Hey Lady!  Thanks for your support and encouragement! laugh

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited February 26

Here is chapter 2.  I have 5 chapters completed, and I'm gonna post them once a week until I'm caught up.  Then things will slow down as it takes more than a week to complete a chapter.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy. laugh

Here is a link to the website:

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-the-ride-home/

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,089

The expressions. Love em. So many, so varied, and believeable. Got to say a huge 'Well done'.

Wish I could do them half as well.

Regards,

Richard

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,427

This is a really well done series!  I already like the characters, they are very relatable, and as Richard said, the expressions are amazing!

edited July 2023

Fae3D said:

This is a really well done series!  I already like the characters, they are very relatable, and as Richard said, the expressions are amazing

edited July 2023

Fae3D said:

This is a really well done series!  I already like the characters, they are very relatable, and as Richard said, the expressions are amazing!

Oops!  Fae3D, so sorry.  I responded to the wrong msg!  Thanks very much for your kind words! 

richardandtracy said:

The expressions. Love em. So many, so varied, and believeable. Got to say a huge 'Well done'.

Wish I could do them half as well.

Regards,

Richard

Thank you, Richard.  I've looked at your Renderosity page and you should be proud.  Nothing  to be unsatisfied with in the expression or posing departments.  I thank you for your kind words and hope you enjoy "Charlotte's Magic Life" going forward.  laugh 

edited February 26

Chapter 3.  Sophia doesn't give up easily.

Here's the link to the whole chapter:

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-the-visitor/

The forum is doing some weird things.  It looks like it's trying to get me to repost the above???? surprise Maybe this post will clear it out.

• This is wicked mate. Really enjoyable and nicely done:)

edited February 26

Chapter 4.  Sophia is persistant, if not particularly sane,  I have to admit I felt a bit sorry for her in the last pages.

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-she-tries-again/

Splatterbaby said:

This is wicked mate. Really enjoyable and nicely done:)

Thanks very much for your support and encouragement, Splatz! :D 

edited February 26

Chapter 5. 

So now I'm caught up.  I hope I can complete chapter 6 by next Wednesday, but things will probably slow down from here on in.  I hope you enjoy. laugh

https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-friday-night/

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,367

Great pacing, well written dialogue and nicely composed framed shots for the panels. As a cohesive whole this sequential art project this works very well.  And on top of that, an interesting story. Big Thumbs up.

edited August 2023

FirstBastion said:

Great pacing, well written dialogue and nicely composed framed shots for the panels. As a cohesive whole this sequential art project this works very well.  And on top of that, an interesting story. Big Thumbs up.

Thanks very much @FirstBastion for your kind words.  You may have noticed that I used your Municipal Building as a makeshift fire station.   It works well, I think, but I used it because there isn't a fire station asset in the store.  Wondering if you have any plans to make one?  laugh

David R said:

FirstBastion said:

Thanks very much @FirstBastion for your kind words.  You may have noticed that I used your Municipal Building as a makeshift fire station.   It works well, I think, but I used it because there isn't a fire station asset in the store.  Wondering if you have any plans to make one?  laugh

We'll have to give a big shoutout to Predatron because that most excellent munipal building was made by them.  https://www.daz3d.com/municipal-building

I did build a firehouse station,  but its at the other marketplace.

FirstBastion said:

David R said:

FirstBastion said:

We'll have to give a big shoutout to Predatron because that most excellent munipal building was made by them.  https://www.daz3d.com/municipal-building

I did build a firehouse station,  but its at the other marketplace.

OOPS!  My mistake and apologies to Predatron.  Don't no why I thought that was yours, other than it's very well done.  Your firehouse looks great, but one question.   Is the lettering on the front of the building customizable? 

edited February 26

Chapter 6.  Finally.  This chapter took a long time because, for whatever reason, this environment often took 2+ hours to render.  But here it finally is.  I hope you enjoy. laugh

Link to the chapter:  https://charlottesmagiclife.com/comic/sophia-lunchtime/

edited August 2023

David R said:

OOPS!  My mistake and apologies to Predatron.  Don't no why I thought that was yours, other than it's very well done.  Your firehouse looks great, but one question.   Is the lettering on the front of the building customizable? 

It is a great looking set. I purchased it too cause it looks very appropriate.  I am planning to make a municipal building myself at some point.

The signage,  Yes you can hide or remove,  and even move them.  each word is  separate props.  So you could remove the word mountain,  and then just have City Fire Department. And if you might want the word "County"  it is in the Hospital set,  and the word "Metropolitan" is in the police set. All use the similar font. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited August 2023

David R said:

Chapter 6.  Finally.  This chapter took a long time because, for whatever reason, this environment often took 2+ hours to render.  But here it finally is.  I hope you enjoy. laugh

Link to the chapter: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/56iia17dr7xvnxi5ja3lm/Sophia-06.pdf?rlkey=ap80s5ew51zqjkhpoykryxg0u&dl=0

Wow what a seriously toxic individual. This is turning into a very interesting story. I like how Charlotte handled the situation.

FirstBastion said:

David R said:

It is a great looking set. I purchased it too cause it looks very appropriate.  I am planning to make a municipal building myself at some point.

The signage,  Yes you can hide or remove,  and even move them.  each word is  separate props.  So you could remove the word mountain,  and then just have City Fire Department. And if you might want the word "County"  it is in the Hospital set,  and the word "Metropolitan" is in the police set. All use the similar font. 

SOLD.  Wow I'm excited about this!yes 

FirstBastion said:

David R said:

Link to the chapter: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/56iia17dr7xvnxi5ja3lm/Sophia-06.pdf?rlkey=ap80s5ew51zqjkhpoykryxg0u&dl=0

Wow what a seriously toxic individual. This is turning into a very interesting story. I like how Charlotte handled the situation.

Thank you! 

edited August 2023

Doing a little speculation; And now Kurt has to stop asking Sophie's permission,. and climb over the booth table and follow after Charlotte. 

FirstBastion said:

And now Kurt has to stop asking Sophie's permission,. grow a pair,  and climb over the booth table and follow after Charlotte. 

Kurt has a very long fuse, but it's just about to burn out.angry 

Looking forward to see the direction you take the story.

edited February 29

It's Wednesday and chapter 7 is nowhere near being done.  And since I'm going on vacation next week and won't be working on it, I decided to post this WIP teaser.  I hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by. laugh

edited August 2023

Guess we're waiting for the next chapter. Have fun with the time off !