Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2023 (ALL are welcome to join)

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,063

OK Gang... another month has started... Let's pack our bags and head to ... MARCH = Hong Kong, China... or anywhere in China will do. 

到时候那里见
    Dào shíhòu nàlǐ jiàn
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,163

Llola Lane said:

到时候那里见

Dào shíhòu nàlǐ jiàn

In Hong Kong, it would be "dou si hau naa leoi gin".

Gordig said:

Llola Lane said:

到时候那里见

Dào shíhòu nàlǐ jiàn

In Hong Kong, it would be "dou si hau naa leoi gin".

Thank you... I was using a translator... I had a feeling it would be wrong... Do you know what it means????

Roughly "see you then", although my Chinese is pretty rusty so I can't vouch for the quality of the translation. The correction was only because people in Hong Kong primarily speak Guangdonghua ("Cantonese") rather than Putonghua ("Mandarin"), though I'm sure most Hong Kong residents also speak Putonghua out of necessity. Guangdonghua uses mostly the same grammar and largely the same vocabulary as Putonghua, but pronunciation is different.

Gordig said:

Roughly "see you then", although my Chinese is pretty rusty so I can't vouch for the quality of the translation. The correction was only because people in Hong Kong primarily speak Guangdonghua ("Cantonese") rather than Putonghua ("Mandarin"), though I'm sure most Hong Kong residents also speak Putonghua out of necessity. Guangdonghua uses mostly the same grammar and largely the same vocabulary as Putonghua, but pronunciation is different.

Your translation is almost what I said... It was more like "See you there!"  Does that make a difference?

Well, 到 means, among other things, “arrive at", and 時候 is time, so 到時候 would usually mean "by the time". 那裏見 is pretty straightforwardly "see you there", so you could leave it at that. The construction of 到時候哪裏見 seems a little strange to me, but I'm neither a native speaker nor fluent, so I can't say with any certainty that it's wrong. 

Gordig said:

Well, 到 means, among other things, “arrive at", and 時候 is time, so 到時候 would usually mean "by the time". 那裏見 is pretty straightforwardly "see you there", so you could leave it at that. The construction of 到時候哪裏見 seems a little strange to me, but I'm neither a native speaker nor fluent, so I can't say with any certainty that it's wrong. 

Ha.. well I'll take your word for it... I was just trying to be clever... lol.  It could have said anything... it's all just squiggles to me... I wish I could read it ;)  

How EVER you say it... See ya in China!

• RafaelRafael Posts: 124
    edited March 2023

Hi. This is my first official Daz render ever. I have not even made a gallery on my profile. As I was scrolling through the forum I thought a night scene would be nice to make, and this Hong Kong idea was a good excuse. So. Here is my first public render on Daz.

My first public Daz Render

The background is a stock photo. The challenge was to integrate the lights on the model so it fits the ambient lights.

The only post-processing work was to slightly edit the dark point in the model to match the processing of the background.

Post edited by Rafael on

rafael_f12aa018 said:

Hi. This is my first official Daz render ever. I have not even made a gallery on my profile. As I was scrolling through the forum I thought a night scene would be nice to make, and this Hong Kong idea was a good excuse. So. Here is my first public render on Daz.

The background is a stock photo. The challenge was to integrate the lights on the model so it fits the ambient lights.

The only post-processing work was to slightly edit the dark point in the model to match the processing of the background.

WOW rafael_f12aa018... that is wonderful... you did a great job matching the lightings... Well done... Sooooo glad you joined this challenge... You are our first Hong Kong post!!!  Way to get us ready for the month.  Thanks for sharing!

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,230
    edited March 2023

Master put me in the corner. It's a face transfer of me.

"Time Out"

Time out.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

AgitatedRiot said:

Master put me in the corner. It's a face transfer of me.

"Time Out"

Whoo hoot... great artwork Agi... I guess I gotta git to renderin' ... Lucky this is a long month... 31 days... We still have time ;)  Thanks for sharing!

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,603

Postcards to Dad #03 : Hong Kong

Hey Dad,

It's our third day in Hong Kong now and so far it's been pretty great. We found this strange little tea house just across the street from our hotel which we have come to for breakfast every day now. It's a bit of a tourist trap and we've not seen any locals here so far - which is great for us since we always get the best table! The owner is a little crazy tho; he loves my red hair and says it reminds him of his favourite singer! I don't know about that but he gives us extra dumplings so I'm not going to argue! :)

Here is Leyla and Jessie allowing me to test out my new camera on them while they finish up the Rose Tea. Next we have our most important task of this holiday so far; shopping to find a perfect birthday gift for you. Wish us luck!

Love you lots!

Penny xxx

Gallery Link

Nice

SofaCitizen said:

Postcards to Dad #03 : Hong Kong

Hey Dad,

It's our third day in Hong Kong now and so far it's been pretty great. We found this strange little tea house just across the street from our hotel which we have come to for breakfast every day now. It's a bit of a tourist trap and we've not seen any locals here so far - which is great for us since we always get the best table! The owner is a little crazy tho; he loves my red hair and says it reminds him of his favourite singer! I don't know about that but he gives us extra dumplings so I'm not going to argue! :)

Here is Leyla and Jessie allowing me to test out my new camera on them while they finish up the Rose Tea. Next we have our most important task of this holiday so far; shopping to find a perfect birthday gift for you. Wish us luck!

Love you lots!

Penny xxx

Gallery Link

This is great Sof... I love how you are getting your logo in all the post cards ;)  I wish I was there with them... I love Chinese tea... ooooolooooooooooong ... Yummo... Wonder what they will find for Dad's birthday present... humm... lol

Thanks guys :)

I've never actually been to a tea house myself and I had less Chinese products than I thought. Many of the images I saw online were either really posh-looking or very stylised to the point that I would need some very specific assets which I why I came up with the "tourist trap" style of venue as that can be kit-bashed a bit easier.

The logo thing started as an internal compromise to myself since I originally wasn't comfortable "signing" my work so by making it part of the image it feels like it belongs there :) I do need to learn some more blender tho as the mesh is terrible - it will take a colour fine but any complicated shader fails to work properly on it :(

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

The Erhu Player

(3 Delight & Gimp)

I'm now searching t'interweb for examples of Erhu playing...

nattaruk said:

The Erhu Player

A lovely and colourful image :)

I don't think I've ever heard that instrument being played either so I'll have to check it out later.

SofaCitizen said:

Thanks guys :)

I've never actually been to a tea house myself and I had less Chinese products than I thought. Many of the images I saw online were either really posh-looking or very stylised to the point that I would need some very specific assets which I why I came up with the "tourist trap" style of venue as that can be kit-bashed a bit easier.

The logo thing started as an internal compromise to myself since I originally wasn't comfortable "signing" my work so by making it part of the image it feels like it belongs there :) I do need to learn some more blender tho as the mesh is terrible - it will take a colour fine but any complicated shader fails to work properly on it :(

I don't know blender so can't help you there... But luckily we have lighting that can hide a multitude of sins.  ;)  I need to come up with a logo... humm... I guess I don't mine signing cause when I'm long and gone... Maybe peeps will remember me???  It's a thought... lol.

edited March 2023

nattaruk said:

The Erhu Player

(3 Delight & Gimp)

ooooo nattaruk... I have the Erhu too.. darn.. forgot I had it... Your artwork is much better than I could have come up with anyway... lol.  Well done!  Thanks for sharing.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Erhu+playing#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c467b3d9,vid:dhic2cE57iM

Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2023

Hong Kong - I hear it started as a fishing village, but who knows;) A lot of people, even muslims, must have arrived pretty early on, attracted by the silky road...

Hong Kong 2000 BC awe.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Sven Dullah said:

Hong Kong - I hear it started as a fishing village, but who knows;) A lot of people, even muslims, must have arrived pretty early on, attracted by the silky road...

Totally agree Sven... Thanks for giving us a glimpse of what Hong Kong may have been like way back when :)

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Llola Lane said:

Sven Dullah said:

Totally agree Sven... Thanks for giving us a glimpse of what Hong Kong may have been like way back when :)

Hahaha, let's just say I didn't probably quite nail it... 

edited March 2023

nattaruk said:

The Erhu Player

One of my favorite instrumentals. 

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Sven Dullah said:

Llola Lane said:

Sven Dullah said:

Hahaha, let's just say I didn't probably quite nail it... 

Ha... close enough ;)

• hugueskrebshugueskrebs Posts: 155

Hello everyone !
    Let me present you: Hong Kong Bay Horror Story.

I never went in Hong Kong (or really travel abroad), but with internet and social medias, it's a kind of virtual travel right? (without the feel nor experience though). And now with Daz I can dream my past and futur travels...
    I used a real photo of the city of Hong Kong in the background, and then matches the lights' reflections on the sea, then blended all in Photoshop.
    You will find a lovecraftian story with it, in my gallery:
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4681001054765056#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1282525
    Thanks for watching!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

What a dreamy image hugueskrebs!!!

hugueskrebs said:

Hello everyone !
    Let me present you: Hong Kong Bay Horror Story.
    I never went in Hong Kong (or really travel abroad), but with internet and social medias, it's a kind of virtual travel right? (without the feel nor experience though). And now with Daz I can dream my past and futur travels...
    I used a real photo of the city of Hong Kong in the background, and then matches the lights' reflections on the sea, then blended all in Photoshop.
    You will find a lovecraftian story with it, in my gallery:
    https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/4681001054765056#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1282525
    Thanks for watching!

I haven't been to Hong Kong. I have traveled a lot of the world.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited March 2023

I know I am going to have to fix the poke through on this render but wanted to post it now because I am going to be busy the rest of the week!

Used a stock photo of Hong Kong for the background on this one as well!

Got it fixed already giggles with GIMP!!

\

Made In Hong Kong.png
    1000 x 1250 - 2M
    Made In Hong Kong.jpg
    996 x 1054 - 994K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • hugueskrebshugueskrebs Posts: 155

Thanks @Saphirewild and @AgitatedRiot !
    Saphirewild, your background is more recognizable than mine. To match the pov, I did not fine one with this famous HongKong building.

Saphirewild said:

I know I am going to have to fix the poke through on this render but wanted to post it now because I am going to be busy the rest of the week!

Used a stock photo of Hong Kong for the background on this one as well!

Got it fixed already giggles with GIMP!!

I love when people use old products. Great Image.