Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153

Robert Freise said:

From what I've read it would be easier for Daz to make a Linux version than a Mac version whos OS is based on a version of Unix modified by Apple

I remember some discussions a few years ago about the UI toolkit used by DAZ not only supporting macOS and Windows, but also Linux. I think it was Tcl/Tk based, but I'm not sure. Many frameworks support all three OS, but there has been resistance in adding another support line (not just DAZ. Adobe got so tired of it, they banned the Linux discussion for Photoshop). The nonsense in Windows 11, however, has started it up again. Microsoft moving .Net to Open Source and on Linux has also lead to some interesting discussions. Not to mention, there is a complete Ubuntu kernel underneath Windows. For several years I thought Windows would become the GUI over Linux. Doesn't seem likely anymore.

• This is a thread forpeople who wish to get daz Studio running under Linux - it is not for debating the relative merits of diffeent OSes, nor for judging the decisions of those who want to run under Linux.

Richard Haseltine said:

This is a thread forpeople who wish to get daz Studio running under Linux - it is not for debating the relative merits of diffeent OSes, nor for judging the decisions of those who want to run under Linux.

No worries from me, I didn't take the post as judgemental, more as curiosity why. I've tried off and on over the last few years and this is the first I've had success. I'm now experimenting with running Studio in WINE and using Diffeo to move to Blender. Next will be transfering to Unity from Studio on Linux.

I am glad this thread still has some life in it.

• brainmuffin said:

Yeah, and it isn't every double click, but for things like loading in new content in a scene...and when loading a saved file...or rendering...

When file uploads are working again, I'll share a screenshot.

Are you using Linux Mint? I can confirm that this is a Cinnamon thing (or maybe a GTK thing). It does not happen on KDE Plasma 7.25 on multiple distros (KDE Neon, Debian 12, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, Fedora 38 are the ones I've tried). On Cinnamon I used to handle it by just not maximizing it after the first time. I just drag it to be almost fullscreen and call it a day.
    Yes, you may be a few pixels off, but I did not notice and it's preferable to it resizing all the time. What I find more annoying now is that on Cinnamon if you work with multiple virtual desktops and you just for instance just started the dforce simulation process, then quickly moved to another desktop to do something else to pass the time, once the initial loading is done it will kind of act like a pop up and automatically put daz entirely on the current desktop. Yes, it's fairly simple to move it back, but damn is it ever annoying. Again something which is not an issue with KDE Plasma.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 826
    edited June 2023

holzkohlen said:

brainmuffin said:

Yeah, and it isn't every double click, but for things like loading in new content in a scene...and when loading a saved file...or rendering...

Are you using Linux Mint? I can confirm that this is a Cinnamon thing (or maybe a GTK thing). It does not happen on KDE Plasma 7.25 on multiple distros (KDE Neon, Debian 12, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, Fedora 38 are the ones I've tried). On Cinnamon I used to handle it by just not maximizing it after the first time. I just drag it to be almost fullscreen and call it a day.
    Yes, you may be a few pixels off, but I did not notice and it's preferable to it resizing all the time. What I find more annoying now is that on Cinnamon if you work with multiple virtual desktops and you just for instance just started the dforce simulation process, then quickly moved to another desktop to do something else to pass the time, once the initial loading is done it will kind of act like a pop up and automatically put daz entirely on the current desktop. Yes, it's fairly simple to move it back, but damn is it ever annoying. Again something which is not an issue with KDE Plasma.

If it is a "GTK-thing"  that would impact a lot of desktop environments. Can anyone using a GTK desktop enviroment if they are having the same issue (or if it is just a Cinnamon thing).

Also, can anyone let me know how well DIM works under linux?

Post edited by BlueFingers on

holzkohlen said:

brainmuffin said:

Yes, it is Linux Mint with Cinnamon. I made a video of what happens:

BlueFingers said:

Also, can anyone let me know how well DIM works under linux?

Other than not saving my password, DIM works fine for me.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 826

Thanks for the info, very helpfull! The DIM issue is something I can live with, Cinnamon is also my DTE of choice, perhaps time to try out KDE Plasma for me.

BlueFingers said:

Thanks for the info, very helpfull! The DIM issue is something I can live with, Cinnamon is also my DTE of choice, perhaps time to try out KDE Plasma for me.

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.
  • I'm using Manjaro (Arch linux) with xfce, I don't have a double click problem. 

DIM installs and runs fine. 

My bugs with DAZ Studio currently:
    - Sometimes it randomly crashes while opening an old scene. Still not sure if the last update of wine fixed it.
    - Capital "I" (from Istanbul) is not present in most interfaces
    - Sometimes you can't type anymore (in search bar or when setting some rotation posing thing manually). Can be easily fixed by clicking the "Windows" button (of course it just summons the menu in Linux). Click it once to summon the OS menu, then again to close the menu, and your typing is working fine again. 
    - Dforce hair is always making my scene horribly slow in viewport use (not sure this is Linux problem though)
    - Couldn't get LAMH or the Iray LAMH plugin to work
    - Couldn't get categories to work. They used to work on some previous wine and DAZ Studio version with some manual SQL magic, but then just stopped. 

What definitely works:
    Dforce simulation
    Rendering on CPU (Iray)

• sam42contactsam42contact Posts: 1
    edited July 2023

Hello,

I am using wine 8.13, and when starting daz, it stucks at "Building Interface".

In the logs, the last entry is "Creating Action Manager".

Did anyone face (and hopefully fix) the same issue?

Thanks.

Post edited by sam42contact on

I switched to a new monutor with much higher resolution. The fonts Studio uses are way too small now. Anyone know how to make these bugger in studio??

• lostindebian said:

After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC V2.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03
    • Driver Version: 470.161.03
    • CUDA Version: 11.4

My steps.

1. Install NVIDIA drivers for Debian. Not sure which, but the recommended that you use for everything.
    2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".
    4. Start "DAZ Studio" and set the viewport to NOT use "filament". Else it will crash later!
    5. Download and extract "nvidia-libs-0.7.7.tar.xz" and enter folder in terminal.
    6. Run the script "WINEPREFIX=/home/user/Games/daz ./setup_nvlibs.sh install".
    7. Start "DAZ Studio" and the GPU rendering WORKS!. At least I think it works.

Big thanks to this thread. Could not have done it without you!

My method no longer works.

I recently upgraded to Debian 12 and Daz GPU is no longer visible or working. I tried re-installing most of *nvidia* "470.199.02-1~deb12u1" and/or *nvidia* "525.125.06-1~deb12u1". Tried them with nvidia-libs-0.7.7 and 0.7.11. Rebooted between tries.

Thought I had solved it, but with Debian 12 it won't work.

Not tried reinstalling daz studio yet.

lostindebian said:

lostindebian said:

After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03

My steps.

1. Install NVIDIA drivers for Debian. Not sure which, but the recommended that you use for everything.
    2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".
    4. Start "DAZ Studio" and set the viewport to NOT use "filament". Else it will crash later!
    5. Download and extract "nvidia-libs-0.7.7.tar.xz" and enter folder in terminal.

I recently upgraded to Debian 12 and Daz GPU is no longer visible or working. I tried re-installing most of *nvidia* "470.199.02-1~deb12u1" and/or *nvidia* "525.125.06-1~deb12u1". Tried them with nvidia-libs-0.7.7 and 0.7.11. Rebooted between tries.

The last time I updated Mint, I had to wait for the NVidia drivers to be corrected for GPU support. Once it was, download, and install, GPU was back in Studio.
  • lostindebianlostindebian Posts: 9
    edited July 2023

brainmuffin said:

lostindebian said:

lostindebian said:

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03

My steps.

2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".

The last time I updated Mint, I had to wait for the NVidia drivers to be corrected for GPU support. Once it was, download, and install, GPU was back in Studio.

I had the same problems with Debian 11 and Lutris but the problem was always fixed when Lutris upgraded. Good to hear I'm not alone. :D

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • After a Lutris upgrade Daz now freeze at startup. At "powerpose loaded".

Reinstalled Daz and GPU now works but sql-server is not working.

Getting closer.:D

• Hi! I have the same problem.

Just installed Daz with lutris and it stops at "Building interface"

Started initial process 17286 from /home/vidar/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-7.2-2-x86_64/bin/wine /run/media/vidar/Projekte_Arbeit/Programme/Daz-Studio/drive_c/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/DAZStudio.exeStart monitoring process.esync: up and running.pg_ctl: kein Server luftwarte auf Start des Servers.... fertigServer gestartetpg_ctl: Server luft (PID: 348)C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS/bin/postgres.exe "-D" "C:/users/vidar/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms/ContentCluster"

• realncrealnc Posts: 0

Hello.

I tried everything to get GPU rendering to work. Nothing helps. Daz log always says:

"IRAY   rend error: Cannot render: found no usable devices. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41, or enable CPU-only rendering."

I installed Lutris (0.5.13), installed Daz in it using the "lutris-GE-Proton8-10-x86_64 (default)" runner, then tried to install nvoptix but it didn't work. I had to edit the setup_nvoptix.sh install script and set:

wine='/home/realnc/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-GE-Proton8-10-x86_64/bin/wine64'

And also fix the wine detection from "wine" to "proton":

winever=$($wine --version | grep proton)

Installation succeeded after that. But it just doesn't work. There's only one GPU listed in Daz (it doesn't say "980 Ti", it just shows a number.)

What am I doing wrong?

• ArathSinArathSin Posts: 10
    edited August 2023

Everything is working fine for me on Arch (6.4.8) without any need for Proton, Lutris, etc. IRay and DForce both work.  I'm getting about 15.5 IPS according to the benchmark, so a little less than the posted 18.6, buit I haven't rebooted into Windows to check if it's a driver/Wine issue.

nvidia-libs-0.7.11.tar.xz
    nvidia 535.86.05-8

yay -Q|grep wine
    wine-staging 8.13-1
    winegui-bin 2.1.0-1

One thing I learned the hard way, nvidia-libs doesn't "install" into your wine prefix, it symlinks the files in.  Don't do what I did and delete the folder from ~/Downloads thinking it's no longer needed, then spend another 3 days struggling to figure out what broke when Daz no longer sees your GPU.

The only annoying issue I seem to be having is the OpenGL viewport doesn't want to refresh sometimes unless I move the mouse over it.  For example if I toggle the visibility of a prop in the Scene Collection, it will stay in the viewport until I mouse into it.

Post edited by ArathSin on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    edited August 2023

ArathSin said:

...clip..

The only annoying issue I seem to be having is the OpenGL viewport doesn't want to refresh sometimes unless I move the mouse over it.  For example if I toggle the visibility of a prop in the Scene Collection, it will stay in the viewport until I mouse into it.

That happens on Windows also. So not a linux issue I know of.

Happens to me anyway.

I'm running Opensuse "tumbleweed" and it's been pretty easy for me also.

Install wine.

Use wine to install DIM

Configure DIM to see my already installed content.

Use DIM to install Studio and CMS.

Install nvidia-libs from the git link posted above.

Start Studio and point it to my already installed content.

and that was it.

Everything "just worked"

Smart content worked, iray worked, cloth simulation works.

I only use Windows to play a couple video games that I can't get to run on linux.

Once lose interest in those. I won't need Windows for anything really.

I do hope Studio will continue to run on Linux. I'd like to continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

edit: I should also mention I'm using the propietary drivers from Nvidia(version in tumblewwed is 535.86.05) and I turned off the compositor in the KDE display settings.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • I just updated to lutris-0.5.13 and wine-8.13 (Staging) on Manjaro and it still doesn't work...

Has anybody of you had some luck with an AMD graphics card? I had some errors like:

X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

I can't imagine that not enough resources is a problem on a Radeon Pro W7900 (using the OpenSource drivers, pro drivers didn't work on my system)

• UPDATE

I got it to work.

First what didn't work:

• wine
    • wine-staging
    • Lutris
    • Lutris with wine selected

What actually did the trick:

I started DAZ 4.21 with steam/Proton. No configuration required.

There where only minor problems with DAZ complaining about the missing Postgresql server, which was fixed

by just installing DAZ again wia DAZDIM.... also via steam/Proton.

What I want to say:

• To DAZ developers: please please please release a native Linux version... if Blender, Substance Painter, Houdini, etc can do it, you can do it too.
    • To wine developers: (even if they may not read it here) Please merge the patches of Valve into your codebase even if they are "too spicy", at least they seem to work.
    edited August 2023

ArathSin said:

Everything is working fine for me on Arch (6.4.8) without any need for Proton, Lutris, etc. IRay and DForce both work.  I'm getting about 15.5 IPS according to the benchmark, so a little less than the posted 18.6, buit I haven't rebooted into Windows to check if it's a driver/Wine issue.

nvidia-libs-0.7.11.tar.xz
    nvidia 535.86.05-8

yay -Q|grep wine
    wine-staging 8.13-1
    winegui-bin 2.1.0-1

One thing I learned the hard way, nvidia-libs doesn't "install" into your wine prefix, it symlinks the files in.  Don't do what I did and delete the folder from ~/Downloads thinking it's no longer needed, then spend another 3 days struggling to figure out what broke when Daz no longer sees your GPU.

This makes me want to give up on debian and try arch.

Post edited by lostindebian on
  • I've recently succeeded in running DAZ Studio headless, in an effort to create a LiveLink between DS and Blender. Can someone help me determine if that makes it easier to run virtually, i.e. because it shouldn't theoretically require any NVidia drivers, etc...

I'm hoping it'll run with even the most basic fork of WINE.

edited September 2023

Got GPU-rendering working with bottles.

• Debian 12
    • Gnome 43.6
    • Windowing System X11
    • Daz Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Bottles 51.9
    • nvidia-libs v0.7.11-0-g0eea65a
    • nvidia-driver 525.125.06-1~deb12u1

Install Daz and then setup_nvlibs.sh.

No dForce :*(. Any advice?

Starting a github about it https://github.com/snowfruit/Daz-3D .

Post edited by lostindebian on
  • Hello,

After 2 days of research, testing and tears, it works for me!

I've just bought an RTX 3060 just for Daz, as until now I've only had a small AMD graphics card integrated into the motherboard.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04. I had already installed Daz with wine 8.15 staging. After installing the card and the nvidia drivers, no GPU rendering or dforce.

I wasted time on the wrong things (like trying to compile nvidia-libs myself or switching to lutris).

In the end, I just had to download nvidia-libs-0.7.11.tar.xz and run the install script to get GPU rendering.

For dforce, it was uninstalling the AMD drivers of the motherboard's integrated graphics card that unblocked the situation.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic and to the superheroes who made nvidia-libs (and wine of course) !

• esthgame_7c2af6bb52 said:

Hello,

After 2 days of research, testing and tears, it works for me!

I've just bought an RTX 3060 just for Daz, as until now I've only had a small AMD graphics card integrated into the motherboard.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04. I had already installed Daz with wine 8.15 staging. After installing the card and the nvidia drivers, no GPU rendering or dforce.

I wasted time on the wrong things (like trying to compile nvidia-libs myself or switching to lutris).

In the end, I just had to download nvidia-libs-0.7.11.tar.xz and run the install script to get GPU rendering.

For dforce, it was uninstalling the AMD drivers of the motherboard's integrated graphics card that unblocked the situation.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic and to the superheroes who made nvidia-libs (and wine of course) !

Awesome job!

"For dforce, it was uninstalling the AMD drivers of the motherboard's integrated graphics card that unblocked the situation."

What drivers did you uninstall?

• edited September 2023

lostindebian said:

"For dforce, it was uninstalling the AMD drivers of the motherboard's integrated graphics card that unblocked the situation."

It was amdgpu-install_22.20.50203-1_all.deb. Actually my first plan was to connect my screens to the AMD GPU and use only the RTX card for DAZ (thus dedicating all memory to Daz). So both drivers would have been required. But I ended using also the RTX for the screens. As it works like this, I do not change anything anymore ;-)

But I dont think the problem was related to the AMD driver version. As assumed by someone early in the topic, Daz Studio seems confused when several opencl devices are present. It seems to consider only the first one (?)

Post edited by esthgame_7c2af6bb52 on
  • esthgame_7c2af6bb52 said:

lostindebian said:

It was amdgpu-install_22.20.50203-1_all.deb. Actually my first plan was to connect my screens to the AMD GPU and use only the RTX card for DAZ (thus dedicating all memory to Daz). So both drivers would have been required. But I ended using also the RTX for the screens. As it works like this, I do not change anything anymore ;-)

But I dont think the problem was related to the AMD driver version. As assumed by someone early in the topic, Daz Studio seems confused when several opencl devices are present. It seems to consider only the first one (?)

Thanks for the info. Using intel here. Wonder if I have something similar I can remove or need changing.

• mr_wanmr_wan Posts: 10
    edited September 2023

I thought I'd join the ranks by sharing my install report:

Installation

• Distro: Arch
    • DE: GNOME 44.5
    • WM: Wayland/x11 (works on both)
    • Kernel: 6.5.3-zen
    • Lutris 0.5.13
    • Runner: wine staging 8.15-2
    • nvidia-driver 535.104.05-1
    • nvidia-libs 0.7.11 (https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/)

What works

• DIM and CMS
    • CPU rendering (exclusive, haven't tried mixed)
    • GPU rendering (exclusive, haven't tried mixed)
    • Filament viewport (including it since I saw a post saying it didn't work for them)

What doesn't work

• dForce simulation (reports that "A valid OpenCL 1.2 device could not be found.")

I'll try the new nvidia libs which SveSop just released and a few other runners, but any hint or help regarding dForce is greatly appreciated.

Post edited by mr_wan on