Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• Currently considering running on wine inside of a vm based on linux-kvm for the best future-proofness. Maybe i'll install windows in parallel, though.

How is plugin compatibility on wine, actually? 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Every plugin I have tried works.

Thickener, Simterno Randomizer, Filament, autofit,mesh grabber,measure metrics, and a few others.

Theres a few problems though.

DIM won't save my password and the "Remeber Me" box is greyed out and not selectable.

A few days ago Smart Content stopped recognizing tags.

It still Sorts things correctly.

When I Select a character in the scene it will show me the clothes , etc,etc  But if I type in a search it won't show anything.

nvidia-libs only seems to work with the General Release. I've not gotten it to work with the beta yet.

The linux nvidia driver is behind a few versions.So I'm guessing thats the problem.

...also dforce works just fine in the General Release.

• IceCrMn said:

Theres a few problems though.

DIM won't save my password and the "Remeber Me" box is greyed out and not selectable.

A few days ago Smart Content stopped recognizing tags.

It still Sorts things correctly.

When I Select a character in the scene it will show me the clothes , etc,etc  But if I type in a search it won't show anything.

nvidia-libs only seems to work with the General Release. I've not gotten it to work with the beta yet.

The linux nvidia driver is behind a few versions.So I'm guessing thats the problem.

...also dforce works just fine in the General Release.

Thank you for the details!

That looks good for me, though. I'm not relying on saved passwords, and i might want to implement my own search and selection dialogs anyway. (Though, will i? ...)

For me, the category section isn't populating, so I'm guessing that is why I don't have any tags or ability to filter search.

I'll look into it later it's not that big a problem right now as not everything has metadata to search anyway(older stuff).

Currently I'm installing my Steam library.

Civ6 plays very well.

Benchmarks show me being better or equal to the 99th percentile for performance with my RTX 3060

Gathering Storm bench dipped into the 50FPS range occasionally during the "Heavy AI" benchmark.

I'm happy with that.

Right now waiting for all 100GB of Fallout 4 to download so I can test it.

• IceCrMn said:

For me, the category section isn't populating, so I'm guessing that is why I don't have any tags or ability to filter search.

I'll look into it later it's not that big a problem right now as not everything has metadata to search anyway(older stuff).

Currently I'm installing my Steam library.

Civ6 plays very well.

Benchmarks show me being better or equal to the 99th percentile for performance with my RTX 3060

Gathering Storm bench dipped into the 50FPS range occasionally during the "Heavy AI" benchmark.

I'm happy with that.

Right now waiting for all 100GB of Fallout 4 to download so I can test it.

Are you running Steam in WINE? The reason I'm asking is because my nephew plays all his games from Steam in Linux Mint I can't repeat his comments about Wine in the forum or in mixed company

edited January 2023

No, I installed the one from zypper.

..also,,Fallout 4 plays just fine :)

edit: and wine needs drive z maped to /

z:/

I removed that a little while ago thinking I didn't need it.

That is when my categories went missing.

added it back, now the catagories work again.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited January 2023

@IceCrMn

Sounds like lots is working with Linux?  Am so not a fan of Windows OS increasing tendencies, so watching with alot of interest.  Almost sounds like might be an option to use without losing too much.

And thank you for making time to share all that!

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on

Opensuse "Tumbleweed" version has been very good so far.

Studio wasn't hard to get working after kitsumo helped me get the nvidia-libs installed.

I'm very grateful for everyone that made that possible.

I've also got gentoo installed, but it's been much more work to get things working in it.

Opensuse everything just worked. So I'm staying with it.

I've already formatted the drive gentoo was on so I can have more space for my Steam games. :)

• All that detailed info is really helpful. Thanks again.

So is the "nvidia-libs installed" hard to do?

edited January 2023

No not all.

Download 

unzip it.

Then copy nvidia-libs folder to .wine folder.

In konsole...

./setup-nvlibs.sh

Then 

wine winecfg

That's it.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited January 2023

Nice! Will bookmark that for later. smiley

If anything bigger doesn't work quite right - hope you will post that too. Haha should be paying you for exploring this and posting.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 161

I've been following this to some degree, and am quite excited that people are getting D|S to run on various Linux distros.  I've been dabbling with Zorin OS, as I like the streamlined "Mac OS/Windows-style" interface.  I have seen videos of people installing Windows'based software via Wine on ZOrin, and were successful.  Has anyone here tried installing D|S on the Zorin distro?  Just curious if I would need to do anything different via Wine?

Thanks, -David 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

@Starkdog, have you given it a try yet? I've never used Zorin, but I can't imagine it's that different from plain Ubuntu. The most important parts are to use wine-staging and nvidia-libs.

• StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 161

Hi Kitsumo,

No, i haven't tried installing D|S yet on a Zorin OS install.  THe Zorin I am running is on a way old computer, and has enough latency running itself.  I'll try on a newer machine and see how that goes.

Thanks, -David

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181

My issue with Windows 11 is some sort of page file system that disallows the use of memory pooling.

I am going to dual boot to Ubuntu to use Blender. I hope Linux Blender has Cycles…

I heard somewhere that Linux allows NVLINK memory pooling, but I can't find any documentation.

And why Does Daz Studio have the option in render settings to use memory pooling if it does not work anywhere?

“NVLINK Peer group size”, whose idea was it to create this option when no OS supports it?

I am going to install Ubuntu and see if NVLINK works in Blender.

I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.

The speed of my renders is fine, it is the limited video memory that is the rub.

edited March 2023

Anyone else having this problem? Wine seems to hate my capital 'I's for some reason.

daz studio screen shot

Using DS 4.21.0.5, but I had this problem on 4.20 and wine 8.2. The display is connected to motherboard graphics, but I don't think that would cause this.

Edit: I just tried it connected to an Nvidia card and got the same result. I'm guessing it's a problem between wine and QT.

Kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic  
    DE: Plasma 5.24.7  
    WM: KWin  
    WM Theme: Glassy  
    Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]  
    Terminal: konsole  
    Motherboard Model: TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)  
    Motherboard BIOS ver: 4005  
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics (8) @ 3.800GHz  
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  
    GPU: AMD ATI 0b:00.0 Cezanne  
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate  
    Memory: 3850MiB / 30884MiB  
    Nvidia Driver Version: 525.60.13  
    AMD Driver Version: 22.0.0-1ubuntu0.1  
    Wine Version: wine-8.3 (Staging)

Screenshot_20230311_100450.png
    1337 x 933 - 152K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • Hi all,

The lack of eGPU support on Apple Silicone has me considering a Linux box for my next update. Most applications I plan on running have Linux variants but if I'm sinking that much into an NVIDIA GPU I'd like to have reasonable performance with Daz 3D. It looks like it generally works under WIne, but I've had superior results with Crossover for macOS than Wine. Has anyone tried Crossover for Linux? 

Thanks for any input!

• After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC V2.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03
    • Driver Version: 470.161.03
    • CUDA Version: 11.4

My steps.

1. Install NVIDIA drivers for Debian. Not sure which, but the recommended that you use for everything.
    2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".
    4. Start "DAZ Studio" and set the viewport to NOT use "filament". Else it will crash later!
    5. Download and extract "nvidia-libs-0.7.7.tar.xz" and enter folder in terminal.
    6. Run the script "WINEPREFIX=/home/user/Games/daz ./setup_nvlibs.sh install".
    7. Start "DAZ Studio" and the GPU rendering WORKS!. At least I think it works.

Big thanks to this thread. Could not have done it without you!

• loopenoxloopenox Posts: 47

No idea what happened but after using Studio just fine yesterday it refuses to render on GPU today. There was an unattended update of my Kubuntu installation happening in the evening so I suspect that was the reason. The strange thing is that even after trying so many things (like doing the nvidia-libs and dxvk install again) nothing helped, not even rolling back the whole system using Timeshift. Wtf. Been a good 1 year run which even inlcuded a whole system version upgrade but suddenly GPU render stopped working.

Studio still shows my 1070 in the list but log file says it doesn't find a usable device and neither does CUDA-Z find one.

526.png
    441 x 440 - 39K

loopenox, I'm guessing the unattended upgrade was probably the cause. I'm also on Kubuntu, but I'll admit I never heard of unattended upgrades until I read your post.

Are you still on proton-staging? Maybe that could have been changed by the upgrade.

But yeah, something's wrong if Daz shows the long string of numbers after CUDA and WDDM at the end of the device. I had that problem last year.

• loopenoxloopenox Posts: 47

Kitsumo said:

Are you still on proton-staging?

Oh, no just normal wine-staging 7.13 and all the versions that came before in that time frame. I also remembered your post. You're right, the weird number thing is exactly what your screenshot showed too and it sucks that apparently the only way out is a complete system reinstall at least for someone like me who doesn't have in-depth knowledge. I wondered if I could avoid that in the future with multiple prefixes/bottles/similar but then again I have a feeling this is an system internal dependencies problem that would still happen despite using the bottle thing.

edited May 2023

loopenox, oops, sorry I meant wine-staging. I think I'm on version 8 or so. I'll check later when I get home.

Edit: I'm on wine-staging 8.8

Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • flylupusflylupus Posts: 29

Hello, 

I'm interested to try DAZ studio on linux and wanted to know if someone did some benchmark between Windows and Linux?

for the same scene / same infra / same resolution size / same sample.: what the difference time? Charge system ? etc.

i know, there is one for Blender I was wondering if it's the same for DAZ Studio 

Best regards

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153

Keiku said:

So now that Microsoft is requiring Microsoft accounts for all Windows 11 users, and Windows is creeping ever closer to becoming a subscription based OS, Linux is looking more and more tempting. Just how close are we to having a painless Daz experience in Linux?

Yeah, it is quite annoying I can run GTA V online in Linux, but not Studio.

I thought I'd try this again. How are people installing Studio? Through DIM? Through a separate download?

edited May 2023

Well, that's interesting.

Screenshot from 2023-05-24 20-19-41.png
    1920 x 1080 - 554K
    Post edited by brainmuffin on

lostindebian said:

After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03

My steps.

1. Install NVIDIA drivers for Debian. Not sure which, but the recommended that you use for everything.
    2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".
    4. Start "DAZ Studio" and set the viewport to NOT use "filament". Else it will crash later!
    5. Download and extract "nvidia-libs-0.7.7.tar.xz" and enter folder in terminal.

I'm running Mint and do have Studio running under Lutris, but not sure where to get this extra file and where to put it.

brainmuffin said:

lostindebian said:

After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03

My steps.

2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".

I'm running Mint and do have Studio running under Lutris, but not sure where to get this extra file and where to put it.

https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/releases

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7942656/#Comment_7942656

It's been a while since I used DS in Lutris, but as far as I can remember the setup is pretty much the same as with regular wine-staging.