Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152

Kitsumo said:

It's been a while since I used DS in Lutris, but as far as I can remember the setup is pretty much the same as with regular wine-staging.

I'll pretend I know what that means and poke around.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

It's been a while since I used DS in Lutris, but as far as I can remember the setup is pretty much the same as with regular wine-staging.

Lol, sorry, I'm notoriously bad at explaining things. Wine-staging is the experimental build of wine, it's needed for Iray.

You can check for it by typing wine --version in the terminal. If the result doesn't say anything about staging, you'll have to install it.

edited May 2023

Kitsumo said:

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

Lol, sorry, I'm notoriously bad at explaining things. Wine-staging is the experimental build of wine, it's needed for Iray.

You can check for it by typing wine --version in the terminal. If the result doesn't say anything about staging, you'll have to install it.

Ok. I've tried WINE off and on over the years, never could get it to work with Studio. Before trying Lutris, I did use PlayOnLinux. things installed, but Postgres is not reachable when Studio starts.

This is what I see with --version:

wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1)

Post edited by brainmuffin on
  • joni_999joni_999 Posts: 4

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

Ok. I've tried WINE off and on over the years, never could get it to work with Studio. Before trying Lutris, I did use PlayOnLinux. things installed, but Postgres is not reachable when Studio starts.

Postgres not starting properly under wine is a bug that was fixed with one of the wine 7 Versions. You could work around it by installing your own PostgreSQL Database and pointing DAZ to it, but I wouldnt recommend it.
    I recommend trying a newer Version in either Lutris or PlayOnLinux (or switching your system wine to wine-staging and updating it)

joni_999 said:

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

Postgres not starting properly under wine is a bug that was fixed with one of the wine 7 Versions. You could work around it by installing your own PostgreSQL Database and pointing DAZ to it, but I wouldnt recommend it.
    I recommend trying a newer Version in either Lutris or PlayOnLinux (or switching your system wine to wine-staging and updating it)

Thanks again. I'll take a look.

During a rather boring meeting, I was able to update the apt repository and get the latest version. I'll see what might work now and try a staging version as well.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Been many years since I tried WINE Does wine support multiple gpus?

brainmuffin said:

joni_999 said:

brainmuffin said:

Kitsumo said:

Thanks again. I'll take a look.

During a rather boring meeting, I was able to update the apt repository and get the latest version. I'll see what might work now and try a staging version as well.

Iray definitely won't work without wine-staging, unless there's been a major change to wine since the last time I tried.

Robert Freise said:

Been many years since I tried WINE Does wine support multiple gpus?

Works like a charm!laugh

edited May 2023

Kitsumo said:

brainmuffin said:

lostindebian said:

After spending days with bottles and wine-staging I got it working with Lutris. This is how I think I did it.

My system.

• DAZ Studio 4.21.0.5
    • Debian 11.
    • ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC V2.
    • NVIDIA-SMI 470.161.03
    • Driver Version: 470.161.03
    • CUDA Version: 11.4

My steps.

1. Install NVIDIA drivers for Debian. Not sure which, but the recommended that you use for everything.
    2. Install "Lutris".
    3. Install "DAZ Studio".
    4. Start "DAZ Studio" and set the viewport to NOT use "filament". Else it will crash later!
    5. Download and extract "nvidia-libs-0.7.7.tar.xz" and enter folder in terminal.
    6. Run the script "WINEPREFIX=/home/user/Games/daz ./setup_nvlibs.sh install".
    7. Start "DAZ Studio" and the GPU rendering WORKS!. At least I think it works.

Big thanks to this thread. Could not have done it without you!

I'm running Mint and do have Studio running under Lutris, but not sure where to get this extra file and where to put it.

https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/releases

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7942656/#Comment_7942656

Downloaded 0.7.9 and ran nvml_setup.sh. Still renders, but doesn't use GPU....hmmm....

Screenshot from 2023-05-26 23-09-32.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 161
    edited May 2023

@Brainmuffin,

In the Render > Render Settings menu, you should see this: See Attached.

Under the devices, make sure that your 4070 is checked, like my 1070 in this example.  I have to check this every time i update a new version of Studio.

Edit: Keep in mind that I'm running on Windows 10.  Not sure if you'll have the same dialog box options on Mint.

RenderSettings.jpg
    812 x 595 - 70K
    Post edited by Starkdog on
    edited May 2023

Starkdog said:

@Brainmuffin,

Under the devices, make sure that your 4070 is checked, like my 1070 in this example.  I have to check this every time i update a new version of Studio.

Edit: Keep in mind that I'm running on Windows 10.  Not sure if you'll have the same dialog box options on Mint.

Well, that might be my problem. Under Lutris, I apparently picked the scab too much and now get the "DAZ Studio cannot run with elevated permissions" dialog. This is Studio under PlayOnLinux.

Screenshot from 2023-05-27 17-53-27.png
    500 x 902 - 33K

Going over the pages again, I realized the CUDA SDK was removed when I upgraded graphics cards. Downloaded and installed, re-installed NVidia Libs and now have this under WINE. Now if I can get content to download...

Screenshot from 2023-05-27 21-27-28.png
    519 x 897 - 51K
    edited May 2023

Installing the CUDA SDK was the wrong step, so after uninstalling it, re-installing the correct video drivers, installing cude-toolkit, when re-runnin setup_nvlibs.sh, Studio is now only running under WINE, it is using the GPU to render Iray. For this simple scene isn't exactly VNIATWAS, but it gets the point across. It also renders so quickly, it is hard to get a screen shot.

Now if the Window would stop resizing everytime I check on something.

Screenshot from 2023-05-28 15-07-22.png
    1920 x 1080 - 702K
  • joni_999joni_999 Posts: 4

brainmuffin said:

Starkdog said:

@Brainmuffin,

Well, that might be my problem. Under Lutris, I apparently picked the scab too much and now get the "DAZ Studio cannot run with elevated permissions" dialog. This is Studio under PlayOnLinux.

I tried installing DAZ in lutris and Steam but got the same "DAZ Studio cannot run with elevated permissions" dialog every time I tried to install the nvidia-libs with the included script.
    Probably has something to do with the writing of the wine registry done in the script but I'm not sure.
    My system's wine-staging seems to work well though.

edited May 2023

joni_999 said:

brainmuffin said:

I tried installing DAZ in lutris and Steam but got the same "DAZ Studio cannot run with elevated permissions" dialog every time I tried to install the nvidia-libs with the included script.
    Probably has something to do with the writing of the wine registry done in the script but I'm not sure.
    My system's wine-staging seems to work well though.

Just out of curiosity, is the nvidia-libs folder located inside your wine prefix directory? I've noticed that wine doesn't like running programs in a prefix's base directory (where the drive_c and dosdevices folders are). It seems to work better if you run something inside the prefix (like within drive_c or some other drive) or completely outside the wine prefix. It doesn't seem to like users running programs in that base directory.

If worse comes to worst and it still doesn't work, you can still install it manually (which I did because I hadn't figured out that prefix issue yet.) The files in nvidia-libs/lib64/wine/x86_64-unix/ need to be linked into drive_c/windows/system32/ and the files in nvidia-libs/lib/wine/i386-unix/ need to be linked into drive_c/windows/syswow64/. By linking, I mean just drag the files over in your file manager, but instead of copying, you'll select 'link here' or whatever your desktop calls it. Of course if you're a Linux guru, you can create symbolic links in the console, but that's a little too advanced for me.

daz studio screenshot

I've been thinking of making a Youtube video to show the whole process from start to finish, but I really really really don't like Youtube. Are there any alternatives?

Screenshot_20230529_072736-1.png
    1078 x 738 - 148K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on
    edited May 2023

brainmuffin said:

Installing the CUDA SDK was the wrong step, so after uninstalling it, re-installing the correct video drivers, installing cude-toolkit, when re-runnin setup_nvlibs.sh, Studio is now only running under WINE, it is using the GPU to render Iray. For this simple scene isn't exactly VNIATWAS, but it gets the point across. It also renders so quickly, it is hard to get a screen shot.

Now if the Window would stop resizing everytime I check on something.

I'm glad you got it working. If you want something that gives you more info than the nvidia settings window, you could try nvtop. It's a console app, so it won't win any beauty contests, but it does present everything in a more logical format. It's in Ubuntu's repositories, so you should be able to install it in Mint, either from the console or app store. It doesn't just give you total VRAM usage, but lets you know which app is using how much.

linux nvtop window

I've never heard of the resizing issue. What's going on there?

Screenshot_20230529_105135.png
    1099 x 723 - 102K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on

Thanks @Kitsumo, I'll take a look.

• karlkarl Posts: 66

I switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon almost two years ago. The only reason I ever go into Windows (Win10, dual boot) is to use Daz! And maybe 1% of my older games that don't run in Linux (whereas nowadays I only buy ones that have a Linux version or run fine via Proton or Wine). So I look forward to the day when Daz either do a Linux version, or the process gets simpler. I imagine it would be good if they simplified Daz itself - even in Windows I found it a nightmare to get everything installed and connected up, and my old data copied over so that I wouldn't have to download it all again. If they simplified how Daz installs and works with files, I bet it would be simpler to get it working on other systems such as Linux. Since I rarely go into Windows, so rarely see Daz, I now rarely spend money on the Daz store. Whereas if it was in Linux I'd probbaly go back to using it every day.

For me, getting Studio installed wasn't too difficult. Made sure I had the latest NVidia drivers and did "apt install cuda-toolkit". This was important as doing just cuda installed a driver my RTZ 4070 didn't like. Have wine 8.9 staging installed as well. Downloaded DIM and ran wine from the command line with the DIM exe as a parameter. Downloaded all the content and installed. So far, there are two other things: when I run DIM again, it doesn't see all the content as installed; and Studio resizes every time I double click. GPU Iray rendering works though.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

This thread is at 50 pages now.
    (Holds head in hands)
    Has anybody created a step-by-step guide to installing Studio in Linux?
    I would love to kick Windows to the door. Linux is so light, Studio would
    probably work faster, as well.

Petercat said:

This thread is at 50 pages now.
    (Holds head in hands)
    Has anybody created a step-by-step guide to installing Studio in Linux?
    I would love to kick Windows to the door. Linux is so light, Studio would
    probably work faster, as well.

I'm on Linux Mint and for me the summary is:

- Download and install the correct NVidia drivers

- Download and install WINE 8.9 staging

- Download DIM from DAZ website

- On the command line, execute: wine path\to\DIM_file

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824
    edited June 2023

How does DIM work under linux? Or is it better to install everything manually?

Daz is the only reason for me why I still run Windows, what are the downsides at the moment of running DS under linux?

Post edited by BlueFingers on

BlueFingers said:

Daz is the only reason for me why I still run Windows, what are the downsides at the moment of running DS under linux?

I've not tested everything yet, but so far the only thing I've encountered that is goofed is Studio resizing every time I double click.

brainmuffin said:

BlueFingers said:

I've not tested everything yet, but so far the only thing I've encountered that is goofed is Studio resizing every time I double click.

Hmmm, that sounds pretty annoying. You mean resizing the window in which DS runs right?

BlueFingers said:

brainmuffin said:

BlueFingers said:

Hmmm, that sounds pretty annoying. You mean resizing the window in which DS runs right?

Yeah, and it isn't every double click, but for things like loading in new content in a scene...and when loading a saved file...or rendering...

When file uploads are working again, I'll share a screenshot.

edited June 2023

Hopefully not too off topic. Bryce 7.1 kinda works. Slow as crap though.

Screenshot from 2023-06-08 17-37-34.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,732

I respect people who love Linux and try to use DAZ Studio, etc. But I can't help share my philosophy on the issue. My experience stemmed from the fact that I was an avid Apple computer user. I grumbled because I couldn't get an Apple computer to handle DAZ Studio properly.

Finally I remembered that "life should be easy." I shouldn't struggle to make something work when it is not designed to work that way. That's when I got a PC specifically designed to handle everything I do with DAZ studio.

I reserve my energy for other things, like Panic Attacks!

Ron Knights said:

I respect people who love Linux and try to use DAZ Studio, etc. But I can't help share my philosophy on the issue. My experience stemmed from the fact that I was an avid Apple computer user. I grumbled because I couldn't get an Apple computer to handle DAZ Studio properly.

Finally I remembered that "life should be easy." I shouldn't struggle to make something work when it is not designed to work that way. That's when I got a PC specifically designed to handle everything I do with DAZ studio.

I reserve my energy for other things, like Panic Attacks!

Some of the reasons why people use Linux is because they support/like the ideas behind Open Source software, the lack of control over your own system when using Windows, and/or a dislike some of the business practices of Microsoft. For some Linux users that is worth the hassle trying to make Windows native applications work on Linux.

• TBorNotTBorNot Posts: 362
    That's when I got a PC specifically designed to handle everything I do with DAZ studio
    Hold that thought, wait four months, come back and check. After all, last week you couldn't play most PC games at good frame rates on a Mac.

I'm kinda coming from the other way. I can't afford a new Mac and don't want to run Windows. I'm using Blender more these days and want to use Studio content.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

From what I've read it would be easier for Daz to make a Linux version than a Mac version whos OS is based on a version of Unix modified by Apple