Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Yes it can still be hacked but the kernel is not as likely to be breached as other operating systems 

You don't need to breach the kernel to steal your info.  All OS's, even Windows, are more secure these days than the applications running on them, and that's where hackers are focusing.  Consider the Firefox PDF flaw they just patched, there were exploits targeting both Linux and Windows.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

A little background before the opinion...

I use both Windows and Linux. I use Linux at work to run applications that, depending on the particular job, may fit on a local machine, or they might require 256GB of RAM and 64 CPUs on the master node, a few hundred CPUs spread out over the farm, and a few hundred GB of disk for the data. For this reason, these applications are Linux only. Windows need not apply. We use Windows as the workstation so that people do have access to the MS Office apps. In fact, they are switching all the software developers to a laptop based development (LBD) model. This means no more issues with trying to run MS apps inside a VM inside a Linux box. The Linux apps are run either in a personal VM that is provisioned out of the Linux server farm, or the large jobs are sent to the Grid as a batch job. It turns out, in the business world, this is becoming more common. The old deskside Linux workstations are becoming a thing of the past. All of the office apps, all of the person to person communication apps, all the web based things are run natively under Windows. Another case study: Oracle (they do more than just win the America's Cup) used to boast that they were a "Microsoft-free zone." They used to run EVERYTHING on Solaris. Not anymore. They still design cpus and servers, but primarily for the Oracle software market. Most of their preferred design tools have to run on Linux, so they caved on that one years ago. Now, their people have laptops too, so they are using Windows and MS Office. The issues with Open Office and the like were just too numerous for a seriously large corporation to put up with. They caved on that one too. No more Microsoft-free zone at Oracle. And Microsoft's own hardware division runs their design tools in Linux too. No "Linux-free zone" at MS either.

What's my point? (#START opinion) Figure out what apps you really need, or like, and run them in their native environment. That's the path of least resistance. (#END opinion)

Given that I use Linux (a LOT), I figured why not get a real Linux box? I picked up an old Dell rack mount server on the cheap, loaded Ubuntu on it, and started playing with it. Loading Luxrender on it was a trivial exercise. Lux is natively supported on Linux. The Linux server roughly doubles the number of threads I can run in Luxrender through Reality and DS. DS runs on the Windows desktop, and Reality connects to the server over the network. Running Bryce Lightning on Linux to do the same for Bryce was not so easy. Yes, Wine has gotten a LOT better, but it was still a hassle, partly due to the fact that Bryce Lightning is a legacy app if ever there was one. I can just imagine the effort it will take to get a full DS suite running under Wine, with plugins, legacy installers, and the like. You will only end up spending a LOT of effort on something that is more or less effortless running in the native environment. That's my conclusion, YMMV.

Good comment about the case sensitivity. Using as many freebies as I do, that could be a real mess. Something to watch out for.

Linux is only as safe as you make it. The basic problem with security is that you have to spend the time to keep everything up to date, no matter which OS you're on. The reason MS is going with forced "push" updates is that the customer support burden of having millions of vulnerable customers who haven't installed the updates is greater than the customer support burden of people who have something that broke after an update.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Good comment about the case sensitivity. Using as many freebies as I do, that could be a real mess. Something to watch out for.

I thought that Ark used to be able to unzip and correct the case...but it doesn't any longer (or was that File Roller and Gnome...) but yeah, it is a real PITA.  But it's not just freebies...I'm still finding stuff from the store that way.  The most common one:  textures/Textures. but runtime/Runtime isn't that far behind.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,781
    edited August 2015

You can also run a dual boot on your computer: Linux and Windows.

That way you have the best of the both platforms:

trouble free Linux experience and maximum speed of native applications in Windows.

Post edited by Artini on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited August 2015

That is an option I grant you, but, as I've said, there are only 3 programs I'd actually need to use in Windows, anything else would be dead weight.

MJC said that DS 64bit wouldn't work in Linux because it couldn't find kernel32.dll. Despite the name, kernel32.dll is in fact 64bit and is located in the SysWOW64 folder in Windows. I believe it is how 32bit and 64bit programs can run alongside each other in Windows 64bit. I remember an issue in Poser where you had to put a dummy poser.exe in My Documents to get the program to work. What if you put the directory where kernel32.dll is located (and the file itself of course) into Linux!? Would DS then find it and work!?

CHEERS!

kernel32.JPG
    600 x 400 - 193K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on

Interestingly, Poser Pro 2014 will work in Linux, but, there is a problem with the libraries as they need Flash to work. I don't know if there is a workaround, but, it gets a bit further than DS does. Another thing I learned about Poser is that future versions will feature an offshoot of the Cycles render engine from Blender. Blender of course works in Linux. If all Poser needs is redesigned libraries to work in Linux then they might look to that market in the future, who knows!? Poser of course means DSON which brings Daz into the fray again.

Not that I really want to use Poser again now...

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

That is an option I grant you, but, as I've said, there are only 3 programs I'd actually need to use in Windows, anything else would be dead weight.

MJC said that DS 64bit wouldn't work in Linux because it couldn't find kernel32.dll. Despite the name, kernel32.dll is in fact 64bit and is located in the SysWOW64 folder in Windows. I believe it is how 32bit and 64bit programs can run alongside each other in Windows 64bit. I remember an issue in Poser where you had to put a dummy poser.exe in My Documents to get the program to work. What if you put the directory where kernel32.dll is located (and the file itself of course) into Linux!? Would DS then find it and work!?

CHEERS!

Wine doesn't work that way...there are certain core dlls that cannot be replaced and the kernel dlls are some of them.

Who said anything about replacing them? You copy the actual file. Wouldn't that work!?

CHEERS!

Rogerbee said:

Who said anything about replacing them? You copy the actual file. Wouldn't that work!?

CHEERS!

No...because WINE has a kernel32 dll already, it's a key file.  Replacing it breaks WINE.

Then why can't DS find it!? Surely this one file can't be our undoing?

CHEERS!

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

IIRC, when I wanted to set up Bryce Lightning on Linux, the old Bitrock installer refused to run under Wine. I ran the installer on a Windows machine. Since all the installer did was unpack a standalone executable, I copied the extracted files to a flash drive and copied them to the Linux box. Then Lightning ran under Wine. I think that was the way it went.

The generic problem with Linux is that you end up turning yourself into an IT Manager. Most people, artists included, either do not have the inner geek in them prepared to do that, or they just don't have the time. My server has Ubuntu 12.04 on it. The latest LTS release is 14.04. I read the install guide. Ugh! It's almost as bad as moving a Vista machine to Win 10, because I skipped a couple of releases.

It seems I have 4 choices:

1: Dual Boot (Still stuck with Windows.)

2: Virtual Machine (Still stuck with Windows.)

3: Hope someone else fixes it so DS will work in WINE (Still stuck with Windows till they do!)

4: Forget about Linux! (Still stuck with Windows.)

Either way I can't win!

CHEERS!

Is there something here that can help!?

https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main

I can't just give up!

CHEERS!

edited August 2015

@MJC: Which version of wine are you using?

Wine 1.6.1 lists this bug fix:

31487 kernel32.dll.InitOnceExecuteOnce needed for several MS installer (Office2013 / Windows Essentials 2012 / .NET Framework 4.5 / Skydrive / ARM Applications)

Does this have any bearing on the error you're experiencing!?

CHEERS!

edited August 2015

1.7.11 also lists bug fixes for kernel32.dll. Might it not be worth downloading one of these newer builds and trying it!?

CHEERS!

EDIT: Doesn't DS need the Microsoft.NET framework to run? 1.7.49 looks to fix kernel32.dll errors in this too:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25478&sAllBugs

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited August 2015

The only thing keeping me from ditching windows for years is lack of good graphic software support. I dual boot now, I am trying the best I can to stop supporting software companies that don't directly support linux, and moving as much of my pipeline as I can to houdini and blender. Linux version of houdini is outstanding, fast and stable. I use xubuntu myself, I don't give a crap about fancy looking OS, I want as much CPU power and RAM to go to my programs as possible, not fancy aero and all that crap lol.

Post edited by TheKD on

Dual boot could be a way to go, and I'm not ruling it out, but, I'd only be running these in Windows:

O&O Defrag

CCLeaner

Microsoft Security Essentials

Daz Studio

Everything else I use has native Linux versions or works with WINE. Running an entire OS just to keep 4 programs going seems a bit much somehow. If DS worked in WINE then the other 3 would be redundant and I could ditch Windows.

CHEERS!

edited August 2015
    Rogerbee said:

1.7.11 also lists bug fixes for kernel32.dll. Might it not be worth downloading one of these newer builds and trying it!?

CHEERS!

EDIT: Doesn't DS need the Microsoft.NET framework to run? 1.7.49 looks to fix kernel32.dll errors in this too:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25478&sAllBugs

I'm running 1.7.49...the bleeding edge...and it's a DS thing, I think...it's probably a missing/stub function in WINE's dll that DS needs.

Post edited by mjc1016 on

If only we knew what it was, then we could tell the developers to include it in the next release. Surely there has to be a way of finding out. I get a nagging feeling that we're SO close! What is the precise error message you get!? Are there any clues there!?

CHEERS!

The DS log file doesn't reveal anything and neither does opening Daz Studio.exe in Notepad++. There is a line containing kernel32.dll, but there is no variable there, just the name. What is it missing!?!?! Below is a screenshot.

HEEEEELLLP!!!!

CHEERS!

DS Kernel32.JPG
    1366 x 768 - 511K

DAZStudio.exe caused UNKNOWN_ERROR in module "C:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll" at 0033:000000007B85BFD1

That's the error...

edited August 2015

Interesting. Surely 64bit DS wants this: C:\windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll

Why would a 64bit program want to look in the 32bit folder!? That doesn't make sense. Does WINE have C:\windows\syswow64!?

It's not that silly case thing again is it? In the Windows directories the file is in lower case, in the line in my screenshot it's in upper case. What if you changed the file name to lower case!?

CHEERS!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

From what I read in the Win10 thread the one in syswow64 is actually the 32 bit version

The odd thing is it's in both the 32 and 64 directories. It's odd that a file can be in two places at once and possibly be utilised by two programs at the same time. That's some mind boggling stuff right there! Anyhow it's past 2am here and I really should go back to bed!

CHEERS!

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

These are all the DLLs that are loaded in chronological order by DS 4.8 64bit:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exeC:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dllC:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\BugTrap-x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sechost.dllC:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nsi.dllC:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dllC:\Windows\System32\combase.dllC:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\user32.dllC:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dllC:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\shell32.dllC:\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dllC:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dllC:\Windows\System32\profapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\ole32.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dllC:\Windows\System32\imm32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msctf.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\Wldap32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtCore4.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wininet.dllC:\Windows\System32\version.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.10240.16384_none_0212ec7eba871e86\comctl32.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmm.dllC:\Windows\System32\winspool.drvC:\Windows\System32\msvcp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Qt3Support4.dllC:\Windows\System32\dsound.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpqxx.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_thread-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libeay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\ssleay32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dzcmsconnector.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtWebKit4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtSql4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtNetwork4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScript4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtXml4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtOpenGL4.dllC:\Windows\System32\glu32.dllC:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_filesystem-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_system-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Windows\System32\winmmbase.dllC:\Windows\System32\cfgmgr32.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcrypt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpq.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_chrono-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vclient_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vkernel_release_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\vshared_release_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dllC:\Windows\System32\devobj.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libintl-8.dllC:\Windows\System32\wsock32.dllC:\Windows\System32\secur32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuuc30_x64.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icuin30_x64.dllC:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dllC:\Windows\System32\sspicli.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\icudt30.dllC:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dllC:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dllC:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qgif4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qico4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qjpeg4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qmng4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtga4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\imageformats\qtiff4.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvoglv64.dllC:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\wtsapi32.dllC:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dllC:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dllC:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dllC:\Windows\System32\ntmarta.dllC:\Windows\System32\winsta.dllC:\Windows\System32\clbcatq.dllC:\Windows\System32\UIAutomationCore.dllC:\Windows\System32\userenv.dllC:\Windows\System32\cryptsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\rsaenh.dllC:\Windows\System32\sxs.dllC:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\twinapi.appcore.dllC:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dllC:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\rasadhlp.dllC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Windows\System32\FWPUCLNT.DLLC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\aniMate2.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dazscriptide.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtScriptTools4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DazCollada.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcp80.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Windows\System32\dbghelp.dllC:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.9185_none_88e323712fabe0b2\msvcr80.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dconnexion.dllC:\Windows\System32\atl100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dz3dmouse.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzalignace.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzassetiofilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautofit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoriggerbasic.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzautoshaderbakeractions.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbrycebridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzbvh.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcolladax.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcomponents.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentdbeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcontentlibrarypane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcr2exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzcustomizedlg.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\phonon4.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdelightrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\dz3delight.dllC:\Windows\System32\psapi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzdformeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzeasyloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzexpexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbxexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfbximporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzfiguresetup.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzgoz.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzhexagonbridge.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzimageio.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\OpenImageIO.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Imath.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Half.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_regex-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\Iex.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libpng15.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\zlib.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmImf_dll.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\boost_date_time-vc100-mt-1_50.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\IlmThread.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzirayrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzjointeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerededitor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzlayerfilter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmanualshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmaptransfer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphfollower.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloader.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzmorphloaderpro.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzobjexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzoptitexclothbasic.dllC:\Windows\System32\vcomp100.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpolygongroupeditortool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzprimitives.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpropertyhierarchyeditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpuppeteer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzpz3importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderedit.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrenderlibrary.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzrslshadercompiler.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsavefilters.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedrenderer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzscriptedsteps.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbaker.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshaderbuilder.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadereditor.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixerbase.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzshadermixergui.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzsmartcontentpane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzspotrendertool.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztextureatlas.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dztransferutility.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzu3dexporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzweightmapbrush.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzwinvideo.dllC:\Windows\System32\avifil32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvfw32.dllC:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\lamhPlayerPlugin.64.dllC:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLLC:\Windows\System32\winnsi.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\sdk_sceneinfopane.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\DzDrawStyles\dzdrawstyles.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose\dzpowerpose.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libneuray.dllC:\Windows\System32\netapi32.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cudart64_65.dllC:\Windows\System32\wkscli.dllC:\Windows\System32\srvcli.dllC:\Windows\System32\netutils.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvapi64.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuda.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\axf_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\PaDllInterface_s.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\blend_render.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\cb_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\ct.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\dds.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\freeimage.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\gen_llvm.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_client.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\iray_bridge_server.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libiray.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\optix_prime.1.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\libirt.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_exporter.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\mi_importer.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\nvcuvid_video_decoder.dllC:\Windows\System32\nvcuvid.dllC:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray\screen_video.dllC:\Windows\System32\NapiNSP.dllC:\Windows\System32\pnrpnsp.dllC:\Windows\System32\nlaapi.dllC:\Windows\System32\winrnr.dllC:\Windows\System32\DataExchange.dllC:\Windows\System32\d3d11.dllC:\Windows\System32\dcomp.dllC:\Windows\System32\d2d1.dllC:\Windows\System32\dxgi.dllC:\Windows\System32\edputil.dllC:\Windows\System32\WinTypes.dllC:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dllC:\Windows\System32\policymanager.dllC:\Windows\System32\msvcp110_win.dllC:\Windows\System32\xmllite.dll

HTH

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited August 2015
    Rogerbee said:

The odd thing is it's in both the 32 and 64 directories. It's odd that a file can be in two places at once and possibly be utilised by two programs at the same time. That's some mind boggling stuff right there! Anyhow it's past 2am here and I really should go back to bed!

CHEERS!

Yeah the system32 one is supposed to be the 64bit one and the other one 32 bit according to what I read

Guessing that the Microsoft  naming has something to do with compatibility 

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    jag11 said:

These are all the DLLs that are loaded in chronological order by DS 4.8 64bit:

HTH

Yeah, and if you look 'kernel32.dll' isn't captialsed. Is this what is throwing things off!? Is there an issue here with case sensitivity!? In Daz Studio.exe there is one line featuring that file and it reads 'KERNEL32.dll'. If DS looks for this in WINE it won't find it as it's 'kernel32.dll' in the directory it looks in. Is it a case of doing find/replace in Notepad++ and replacing that one entry with what it actually is in the directory it'll look in and then saving the file!? It MUST be worth a try. Obviously back up the .exe before you do, but, after that, well.....

CHEERS!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

one can hope some Linux geeks can find a way as DAZ studio is a free download and has a publicly available SDK so maybe some may tear themselves away from Blender long enough to create a patch.

maybe contact DAZ and push for a Linux version too.

I am not intending to use my laptop for DAZ stuff anyway but if there were a Linux version I may reconsider that too.

Could it be the only hope!?

Hope not!

CHEERS!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    mjc1016 said:

A couple of things...

1. Studio 64-bit isn't...at least completely.  It's a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit.   Sometime, probably fairly soon, that is going to have to change.  The 32 bit parts will need to become 64 bit or be removed.

2.  The current DEVELOPMENT version of WINE has pretty good 64 bit support and does run quite a few 64 bit programs.

3.  As both WINE and Studio move forward, they should still be able to be usable, together.

4. The CMS not working...there are two options.  One is to set up a native Linux Postgre and use it.   Or do without...CMS is NOT absolutely needed.

As to plugins...some can be recompiled, but others like GoZ are a definite problem.  But an even bigger problem than plugins is content.  There is way too much of it that is an absolute nightmare to install on a case-sensetive file system.  Short of forcing the use of the DIM and having it run a renaming script to correct all the content to a uniform case, content has to be installed manually, to a 'work' folder FIRST.

A simple bodge to get round the case sensitive file system would be to put your content library on  an NTFS or FAT32 partition. Linux is only case sensitive over file names on it's own native filesystem.