Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• Simply installing Wine 7.1 Staging and nvoptix doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm still only getting CPU as option. Will try to install dxvk-nvapi but opening Studio and only seeing CPU kinda feels cursed at this point...

• MotéMoté Posts: 29

loopenox said:

Simply installing Wine 7.1 Staging and nvoptix doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm still only getting CPU as option. Will try to install dxvk-nvapi but opening Studio and only seeing CPU kinda feels cursed at this point...

Indeed, that’s strange. Even without any fix, you’re supposed to have a Cuda 651456126 (or whatever the number) displayed in your devices. Could you please tell me :

• If you tried the nvidia-modprobe command
    • Which distro you’re using
    • Your GPU model and if it’s an Optimus configuration
    • Your nvidia driver version (by the way, you need the official proprietary driver)

Please check that your system is up to date.

• Moté said:

It probably all boils down to this...

Have the latest (possible) updates on it BUT it's still bionic LTS after all so I guess it's no use and I'll have to upgrade to 21.x to have any chance to get this running. Poking it with modprobe didn't help either. Doing a complete system upgrade like that will have to wait though since I'm currently dependant on the machine (desktop, gtx1070, v495.46, cuda 11.5). Maybe putting 21 on a secondary HDD and see how this goes! Anyways, like always, thank you Moté for your efforts! Will report back once I got it running on a new installation.

loopenox said:

Moté said:

It probably all boils down to this...

Have the latest (possible) updates on it BUT it's still bionic LTS after all so I guess it's no use and I'll have to upgrade to 21.x to have any chance to get this running. Poking it with modprobe didn't help either. Doing a complete system upgrade like that will have to wait though since I'm currently dependant on the machine (desktop, gtx1070, v495.46, cuda 11.5). Maybe putting 21 on a secondary HDD and see how this goes! Anyways, like always, thank you Moté for your efforts! Will report back once I got it running on a new installation.

Sorry, I forgot to come back and answer you… I don’t think these versions should be a problem. Can you please add Liny kernel and Wine version to the list?

• Moté said:

Sorry, I forgot to come back and answer you… I don’t think these versions should be a problem. Can you please add Liny kernel and Wine version to the list?

No problem! Wine 7.1 Staging and Kernel 5.8.0-26-lowlatency. I do audio work on that machine so that's why I went for the low latency kernel but maybe that is the cause for some strange problems too. But anyways, I set up a brand spanking new Kubuntu 21.10 box (generic kernel) together with Wine 7.1 Staging again (no Lutrix, no Proton anything) and can happily report that Studio runs really really well now WITH GPU support for iray.  Pretty much worked right away with the instruction you've posted here while over on my old system, no matter what I tried, GPU iray simply wouldn't work. Funnily OpenCL GPU for physics IS working on that old system but to be honest I tinkered so much with it over the years that I simply forgot what helped in the end. Had tons of stuff I kinda figured out by looking through forums for answers and could be that it was one of those occassions where some driver link was referring to the wrong/old file. In one occassion something referred to a driver file in a version numbered folder which of course wouldn't work with a different driver version so fixed it by making it use relative file access. But that was literally years ago. Maybe it even just was some opencl .icd file that needed to be installed but yeah, I tried so many things that years later I forgot what helped. But now with the new system GPU for dForce is not working again so I guess I'll try to find out what I did back then to make that part work again. It doubt it's some direct Wine problem since the dForce GPU support on that machine worked even after many Wine and driver updates and even complete Daz Studio reinstalls. If I remember or find it out again, I'll let you guys know :D but maybe you people with actual knowledge are quicker on it anyways.

Running Filament on the new system was a total letdown again though. Same window freezing after a couple seconds of use just like on the old system. Some people say it's a Plasma problem and not directly related to Wine. But after seeing how stunningly fast and GREAT the new iray noise filter works, it's not that bad anymore. I was really looking forward to using Filament since I actually don't really need perfect photo realism and rather like to tinker around with non physically based approaches and tricks but iray photoreal set to really low samples + noisefilter gets really interesting results and super quick now with GPU supported. Iray biased would also be neat for my stuff but for some reason, while rendering faster, interaction with it is very sluggish. Which is kinda ironic since it was meant as "interactive". Iray photoreal allows butter smooth moving around in the scene with the camera but interactive keeps choking really hard.

Another thing I noticed and that's definitely a Wine thing -- 5.7 staging was the last Wine version that didn't cause Studio to flicker back and forth between iray rendered and "smooth shaded" opengl viewport. If you set the viewport to iray photoreal, it does stick in it when you move the camera around. In every single Wine version I've tried after 5.7 it annoyingly flickers between smooth shaded and iray rendered. So for example when you have a night scene going and move the camera, you'll get flashed by the bright gray opengl preview that flickers between your movement through the iray rendering scene. That can of course be incredibly annoying. Viewport response threshold setting doesn't help here either. It is definitely a problem introduced after Wine 5.7 staging.

For OpenCL, wine-staging 7.2 has been released and might contain some fixes.

For iRay rendering in viewport, I have absolutely no idea what can cause this. I saw that compiling iRay shaders was really slower with GPU than with only CPU, that’s the only thing I can think of. For me, iRay non photoreal will just crash when I stop the render…

• loopenoxloopenox Posts: 47
    edited February 2022

Moté said:

For OpenCL, wine-staging 7.2 has been released and might contain some fixes.

That sounds cool! Will give that a try some time...

Also, well now the post de-noiser suddenly decided to stop working. Guess me praising it so much jinxed it. The options are still there and clickable but it does nothing anymore. I've read that low VRAM can cause the denoiser to silently stop working but I've tried it with an almost empty scene with just a cone in it with a graphics card that has 8 gigabytes of VRAM and nothing. Yesterday I rendered and viewed a really complex indoors scene just fine with it and it ran like a champ. No idea what wrecked it so suddenly. Otherwise GPU rendering still works fine but yeah the denoiser just stopped working completely for some reason.

Edit:

2022-02-15 15:06:22.300 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(480): Could not add path: "C:/users/loopenox/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/shaders/iray". Due to unknown error -2
    2022-02-15 15:06:22.306 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - GPU:RENDER ::   0.0   GPU    rend error: NvAPI call NvAPI_GetInterfaceVersionString returned an error:
    2022-02-15 15:06:22.306 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [ERROR] - GPU:RENDER ::   0.0   GPU    rend error:   
    2022-02-15 15:06:22.306 Iray [INFO] - GPU:RENDER ::   0.0   GPU    rend info : Found 0 GPUs with vendor's API.
    2022-02-15 15:06:22.335 Iray [INFO] - CUDA:RENDER ::   0.0   CUDA   rend info : Found 1 CUDA device.

Unknown errors and undefined errors... that helps a lot lol

Post edited by loopenox on
  • I can report that OpenCL does NOT work with wine-7.2-82-gcfb1d2058fb (Staging) :(

But thanks for the update Moté yes

edited February 2022

Interestingly, the newest Wine version seems to make Studio run with (basic) Cuda support right out of the box.

I wiped the Linux install again and started from scratch. This time only Linux itself, Wine Staging 7.2 and Studio. Again, it works but yeah, no post denoiser. I'll now try to install the API addons and see how this will go but if the post denoiser doesn't work after that then... I'm seriously lost. I mean I got it running perfectly for a couple hours and then it just stopped working, lol.

Update on the post denoiser:

Kinda throwing the towel at this point for now. Installing dxvk (with the config), dxvk-nvapi and wine-nvoptix does (on my machine) literally nothing. No idea, maybe some of those parts are already in Wine 7.2 but yeah, compared to fresh 7.2 installation and runing Studio and installing all those DLLs, there's no difference. dzneuraymgr.cpp keeps dropping errors and I guess that's where things go wrong. Also, one warning claims "CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070): WDDM driver used, it's recommended switching to TCC driver model as no display connected (via 'nvidia-smi -dm 1'), to increase rendering performance (if no DX/VK needed)" while a couple lines later "TCC Mode: enabled" and the 1070 is shown in the render settings as 1070 (TCC).

No idea where to go from here. This really bites because again, it ran beautifully for hours yesterday and I have absolutely no idea what happened.

Update:

Just couldn't let this slide and went at it again after a break. After transfering the Studio settings folder over to the new installation and couple reboots later, pic related is the result. The damn denoiser is working perfectly now too. Meanwhile the warnings in the logs staid the same. Pretty bizarre all that but apart from being surprised, I'm happy, lol. What a ride. 

Can't thank you enough, Moté. Things were quite stagnant until you got this REALLY rolling.

daz.png
    354 x 397 - 21K
  • brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,153

This thread is quite interesting. I may give WINE another go for running Studio. I am using Linux Mint, if that makes a difference. These days, I just use Studio to setup a scene and then export to Blender.

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101

Just updated to DAZ Studio 4.20, GPU render no longer works with Wine-Staging 7.2, used to work in 4.16. DForce still seems to work, haven't used DAZ in a while. 

• CauriB said:

Just updated to DAZ Studio 4.20, GPU render no longer works with Wine-Staging 7.2, used to work in 4.16. DForce still seems to work, haven't used DAZ in a while. 

Are you using a new enough driver?

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101

My driver is 510.47.03. It is probably Wine-Staging not using the latest driver.

• CauriB said:

My driver is 510.47.03. It is probably Wine-Staging not using the latest driver.

Mine is the same. NVAPI-test and daz 4.20 report the 510.47.03 driver correctly, but daz still gives some other errors. My wine prefix with 4.16 daz works just fine, so it is probably some of the newly introduced iray/cuda features that is the problem.

• KeikuKeiku Posts: 143

So now that Microsoft is requiring Microsoft accounts for all Windows 11 users, and Windows is creeping ever closer to becoming a subscription based OS, Linux is looking more and more tempting. Just how close are we to having a painless Daz experience in Linux?

edited February 2022

Keiku said:

Just how close are we to having a painless Daz experience in Linux?

I'd say we're really damn close. If set up correctly, Studio is now running without a single crash even in bigger scenes, at least on my box. And regarding Windows, well the direction it took especially after 7 made me jump years ago and I'm still happy with my decision. Even though I have to say that I am interested (on a not too involved level, not a programmer or something) in the technology, on a hobby level, so that helps and at least at the moment I can't recommend doing that jump to people who want a 100% clean "out of the box" experience. In just those couple years I'm using it, tons of improvements happened but there are still many things that "just work" in Windows while needing some effort to set up in Linux still. If you enjoy tinkering around (like I do, as long as it doesn't take too long) it is a fun experience and once you've set everything up as you like, things work rock solid (at least on my machines).  In some cases Linux can work perfectly fine out of the box for your needs by now but especially anything involving running Windows application usually needs some terminal wrangling and I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. Just saying that in case you're seriously growing disgruntled with what is happening with Windows, there are alternatives but there's still some time and effort needed with the difficulty depending on what you want out of your PC.

OH and yeah, didn't try 4.20 yet. 4.16 is running fine and for the time being I'm just happy that it is working. 4.20 can wait for now, lol

• Has anyone tried running Daz Studio under QEMU, which is supposed to support GPU pass-through? Would that not allow GPU rendering and dForce to work?

• HGKianHGKian Posts: 5

I'm reading this thread and I'm willing to go back to Linux. I'm using Windows just because of daz. But I would like to ask about performance. Can you guys, tell me what are your system specifications and how much time does it take to render a scene?

• I'm on Ubuntu Studio 21.10, I have wine-staging installed with wine-nvoptix, wine-nvapi, dxvk, and wine-nvml. Tried installing Daz Studio version 4.20, but the only thing visible in Render Settings is the CPU. So I tried version 4.15 and that seems to have worked. Rendering seems to be ridiculously fast for some reason. Even faster than anything I've seen on Windows. Not sure what that's all about, but... Cool? Also my graphics shows up in Render Settings with "(TCC)" at the end of it. Not sure what that's about either. Could it have something to do with Wine, or one of those add-ons?

• Hmmmm... are these now-ridiculously-fast renders in Iray, or 3Dlight?   i'm guessing Iray, since I don't remember 3Dlight offering CPU as an optin in the very rare occasions I poked it with a stick.

• It was with Iray. I noticed disabling the Render Quality made rendering a little slower though. Which is still weird because on Windows, if I left Rendering Quality on it would still take longer to finish a render.

Okay, some days later with the new setup and I've noticed a couple things. Especially more recent 4.16 and 4.20 versions don't seem to play nice under Wine. I double checked and 4.15.1.72 seems to work fine in every regard under Wine 7.2 staging while 4.16 seems to crash A LOT and 4.20 crashes just as much and on top of it doesn't support GPU rendering anymore (interestingly, an early version of 4.16 worked stable under an older v5 Wine but without GPU support of course).

So for the time being I'd recommend for anyone wanting to get something to work quickly and stable to just stick with 4.15 for now when having Wine 7.x staging installed. No idea what happened but apparently enough changed from 4.16 on that gradually made it more and more incompatible with Wine.

StevenT2112 said:

Rendering seems to be ridiculously fast for some reason. Even faster than anything I've seen on Windows. Not sure what that's all about, but... Cool?

My amateur guess would be it's because of Vulkan. Recently I've read lots of reports about things magically running faster under Wine, mostly games. Of course this is not always the case and everything is still HIGHLY experimental but apparently even with the translation layer in between, Vulkan seems to have less overhead compared to DirectX or OpenGL to make things sometimes run quicker as result (IF it runs). Still early on but definitely a really interesting development to read about.

• I made a small benchmark (with sss, translucency & reflection) on page 45 of this thread. It came out at about 20% speedup for wine vs windows.

@Moté. Hi and sorry to ask because this has, most probably, been asked before. But, is there any place where I can find the instructions to install wine before using your instructions for GPU rendering? I have tried different methods but none of them seems to work. Thank you.

edited March 2022

Hello guys,

Sorry I ghosted a little bit the thread. To be honest, I’m not using Daz anymore, as I suddenly wanted to go back and learn Blender (including modeling and everything, and I love this software).

The TCC in the name is nothing to be concerned about. It’s just because there are 2 modes for cuda calculation on nvidia GPU, and I honestly can’t understand if TCC is when there is a display connected to the card or not. You don’t have to worry about that, just pick the GPU that works if 2 are appearing.

Daz 4.16 should be working, as this is the one we developped the patches with. I haven’t tested 4.20, I should have a look. If 4.20 doesn’t work, it could be because they use functions from cuda or optix they weren’t using before.

If a wine patch broke anything, that’s concerning.

Also, did I say you need nvml in order for everything to work?

@HGKian You should find wine in you distribution repositories, and therefore should refer to your distribution wiki if needed. Can you tell us which distribution you are using, so we can check wine is correctly distributed? :) You can also find informations on the wine dedicated page, but it doesn’t list every distribution packaging wine : https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

@loopenox : We should really deeply study your issues, they’re really strange. Honestly don’t feel the strength for it now, though :(

@TheMysteryIsThePoint : Qemu, and a gpu passthrough, is quite difficult to configure, that’s why I’m not trying. Also, the most problematic is that a GPU passthrought doesn’t allow for the GPU to be used on the host system, therefore you wouldn’t be able to use your GPU on Linux.

Third edit: Can people having trouble post their GPU, driver, distribution, wine, and linux kernel please?

Post edited by Moté on
  • ssoplerssopler Posts: 14
    edited March 2022

I am not the heaviest of forum readers tbh, but i still use DAZ a bit (uhm.. lot at times..). Anyway, i have found wine-7.3 and wine-7.4 to have some instability issues with DAZ, so for now i cant say other than that you should use wine-staging-7.1 or wine-staging-7.2.

What i have found troublesome aswell is wine versions with "Proton patches" in the likes of "Fullscreen Hack" Afaik no distros provide this directly, but people might be using lutris builds with this.. like https://github.com/lutris/wine/releases/download/lutris-7.1/wine-lutris-7.1-x86_64.tar.xz

Further, once you have set that up (no, a comprehensive how-to-use-wine is not coming here.. other places are better at that). I found enabling wine's virtual desktop in with the same resolution as your monitor makes things work quite nice with DAZ.

You should then download this:

https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/releases

Extract that to a place where you are going to keep the files as this creates symlinks inside your DAZ prefix (Do NOT delete the folder after it is installed!) Install by running

WINEPREFIX=/your/DAZ/wineprefix/folder ./setup_nvlibs.sh install

Then you need to install dxvk from here: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.10/dxvk-1.10.tar.gz

Extract that and install by running

WINEPREFIX=/your/DAZ/wineprefix/folder ./setup_dxvk.sh install

Naturally you need to use your OWN folders here, depending on where DAZ is being run. You can ofc copy the various .dll's and rename the dll.so files and whatnot to your liking if you know what you are doing.

That should be enough to get DAZ Studio 4.20 to work with NVIDIA adapter if you have a recent driver. I would think atleast 495+ is needed to run that, preferrably the newest. I have only tested this on my RTX2070 card, so i have no idea if it will work on other/older cards. If it STILL does not work for you, you can post a issue on the issuetracker for the nvoptix github here: https://github.com/SveSop/wine-nvoptix/issues

If you do, please run DAZ with

WINEDEBUG=-all,+nvapi,+nvoptix,+nvcuda DXVK_NVAPI_LOG_LEVEL=info

and post the resulting log.

Example:

cd ~/DAZ/drive_c/Daz 3D/Applications/64-bit/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4WINEDEBUG=-all,+nvapi,+nvoptix,+nvcuda DXVK_NVAPI_LOG_LEVEL=info wine ./DAZStudio.exe > debug.log 2>&1

The nifty info i can scratch my head with is then in the "debug.log" file... hopefully :)

Good luck.

EDIT: Changed the link to general "Releases" page on my github for nvidia-libs package.

Post edited by ssopler on

@Moté. Thank you for the reply. I'm using wine-staging 7 and winetricks.

@ssopler. Thank you. That was really helpful. I was missing the nvidia-libs. I followed a few tutorials about installing daz on Linux and none of them were mentioning that.

Thank you both for your help and patience.

Yes, that’s because we were the first to find Daz needs them ^^ nvidia-libs is a package from @ssopler that includes nvoptix but also other useful wine nvidia libs like nvml I mentioned earlier. If you use Lutris, you only need to install nvoptix as Lutris already installs dxvk, dxvk-nvapi and nvml.

edited March 2022

And do you recommend to use Lutris?

Post edited by HGKian on

Personally, yes, I don’t use anything else when I have to manipulate wineprefixes ^^ @ssopler, on the contrary, is more of a "vanilla wine" guy :p