Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2016

Vivien,

I tired to do a quote thing, but it defeated me.  But anyway, you can remember what was said.

Righto, let me know if this is any help.  The link has turned into a video.  But it should work...

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392

Hansmar – both your renders are awesome, I really like the lighting in both.

Sriesch – wow great scene

Kerya – very nice space scene

David – it’s cool to see a new video from you. Thanks.

Vivien – thanks for sending the file to David, we all can benefit from his video.

edited May 2016

A quick little TA render of this months PC freebie textured by Forbiddenwhispers and Modelled by my using Modo and UV mapped using UV layout.  http://www.daz3d.com/moped

Moped_TA_render1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 172K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

@David Brinnen: Thanks for a new video. Wonderful render!

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

A quick little TA render of this months PC freebie textured by Forbiddenwhispers and Modelled by my using Modo and UV mapped using UV layout.  http://www.daz3d.com/moped

David, how splendid it is to see your modelling skills blossom and your PA adventure progress. You and Forbidden Whispers make a great team. For commercial success you need to do skimp wear. As your models so far seem be mostly stuff you're familiar with, you'll need something beyond your y-fronts.

I think you need to up the SubD on the model before export (how's that for sounding tech?). Or, as I did with my ancient Bryce5 TA bicycle-against-post render, replace the tyres with Bryce tori. The moped would look good beside a beach hut or some such...

BTW, folks; the moped is a freebie if you're in the PC+.

David, how splendid it is to see your modelling skills blossom and your PA adventure progress. You and Forbidden Whispers make a great team. For commercial success you need to do skimp wear. As your models so far seem be mostly stuff you're familiar with, you'll need something beyond your y-fronts.

I think you need to up the SubD on the model before export (how's that for sounding tech?). Or, as I did with my ancient Bryce5 TA bicycle-against-post render, replace the tyres with Bryce tori. The moped would look good beside a beach hut or some such...

Thank you.  Aye, you are right I think about the SubD.  But it could be that I didn't get the balance right in the original model.  It's one of those things I'm only gradually getting to grips with.  As things stand, the model was up to 260 mb on export with just the one level of subd.

As to "skimp wear" I know what you are saying, but I don't think it's my thing.  I'm hoping I will eventually find what does suit me otherwise I'll just keep noodling away at whatever takes my fancy.

Overall the process is interesting, I model now with an eye to the UV process which makes life considerably easier.  The moped took me five days to model, the beach hut, five weeks.  So there's some improvement there I think.

Picking the right number of polyones to include in a curve though is as yet something I've to master.  SubD in Modo defaults to level 2.  But for Poser I tend to favour level 1 or the software complains.  I tend to forget to set Modo down and then get fooled into not including enough polygones.  The Subdivision though is satisfying when it works and offers a great time saving on building up complex curved surfaces.

It's all learning as I go though, which is less than satisfying in some ways, because it means I'm never completely happy with the results, but don't yet know how to make things better than they are.

... I'm never completely happy with the results, but don't yet know how to make things better than they are.

....The moped took me five days to model, the beach hut, five weeks.  So there's some improvement there I think.

Practice. Seems to work.

The skimp wear suggestion was a partial joke, but you probably ought to think with more of a commercial hat as you go. That's assuming you'd like to have this as a major part of your income, which I'm convinced you're capable of. But then again, some comments in the commons forum have led me to doubt my understanding of the size of the DAZ market. It seems to be an order of magnitude smaller than I thought it was.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541

Hansmar - very charming spell scene, the one with the dragons, too.

sriech - every scene can be made better, that's at least what almost every artist thinks when looking at the result. From my point of view, the result of your crash-landing scene is quite a success.

Kerya - I like the idea of a planet library, the result looks beautiful.

David - interesting how you tackled vivien's scene. There are so many ways to light a scene and change the focus. Moped looks very good.

Peter - I also got the impression that the market is much smaller than it appears, though the forums may not be the most reliable source of information and mine is based on my gut feeling, admittedly not very scientific.

edited May 2016

David – beautiful still -Moped

A Desert Scene using the rain cube from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

reviving the desert.jpg
    800 x 400 - 46K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited May 2016

David - WoW....What a difference!!!! you brought life into my scene..... It's amazing how important good lighting is,and how different lighting effect the look of it... Thank you for making the video. I have lots to learn. Also great moddlling of the moped 

Hansmar - Both renders are very nice

Sriesch - Pity you didn't get the result you were after.... But I still think it is a great scene

Kerya - I really like your space render...Dramatic sky

Mermaid - Desert rain looks beautiful. The rain turned out really well

Post edited by vivien on
    edited May 2016

Thank you.  Here I've had another go but with more subdivion on the tyres.  It also uses a new SC HDRI from Horo that I am testing out.

Moped_TA_render2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 220K

Here's some more direct experiments with Horo's new HDRI Enhanced Skies.

Horotest_t1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 353K
    Horotest_t2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 385K
    Horotest_t3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 343K
    Horotest_t4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 294K
    Horotest_t5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 422K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

@Dave : nice dragon renders!

@David : great modeling on the moped bike and awesome improvement on Vivien scene, it's always nice to watch a new video from you, interesting.

Here are some quick shot screens of a new project I'm working on. It's a representation of Paris near the "Seine" river. A lot of things to model between the buildings the bridges and the docks. I have also a lot of details in mind..

Paris2.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 373K
    paris5.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 445K
    Hausmann building22.jpg
    1750 x 910 - 1M
    Hausmann building30.jpg
    1750 x 910 - 797K
    Paris12.jpg
    1320 x 440 - 449K
    edited May 2016

Vivien - thanks

C-ram – magnificent modeling, looking forward to seeing the final render  yes

David- awesome renders using Horo’s new Hdris

Here one using the preset Glorious Morning with Horo’s MorningCloud

enhanced08.jpg
    900 x 450 - 36K
    edited May 2016

Mermaid - love your desert scene, I expect some green poppimg up every moment. Very nice sky combination.

David - moped tires have improved hugely.Test renders look excellent.

c-ram - well, quite a project you started. Looks promising but knowing your work, I'm certain it will become another masterwork. Good vantage point, too, so you don't have to model the whole of Paris as in a bird's-eye view ;)

I used that Castillo del Diabolo after having fiddle with it almost a day, reducing uv-maps, changing materials and completing the half model. Twice stacked terrain with materials from the first hi-res terrain set. Sky is from the new set I finished. Click on the image to enlarge

Castell on the Rocks

CastellRock.jpg
    700 x 1000 - 224K
    Post edited by Horo on
    @Mermaid : thank you! Nice use of Horo's cloud. @Horo : this project is driving me crazy because I'm using several instanced elements on my building and bryce is crashing a lot. I'm also unable to merge a file in my main scene.. so I'm forced to composed each part in the main scene and it's becoming a real challenge. Here's another screen shoot with the eiffel tower (a freebie from the web)
    Paris18.jpg
    1320 x 440 - 506K

@C-ram, always interesting to see how you put your mega-scenes together.  Though not encouraging to hear about instancing and Bryce crashing as you do so.  The models look great and where you have placed the camera makes for an interetsing view through the various arcs of the bridges.  Looks very promising.

@Horo, I had to put my glasses on to see the castle!  Nicely lit terrain.

@Mermaid, thank you, as you can see I've fiddled a bit with the settings, but essentailly more of Horo's HDRI Enhanced Skies.

Horotest_ta6.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 272K
    Horotest_ta7.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 335K
    Horotest_ta8.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 267K
    Horotest_ta9.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 274K
    Horotest_ta10.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 226K
    edited May 2016

C-ram – Thanks, amazing how you build your scenes, I admire your patience and dedication to make complex scenes.

David – another awesome set of renders. After seeing your last set of renders, I re-render my earlier scene, changing the terrain mat and fiddling with the lighting.

enhanced08a.jpg
    900 x 450 - 69K
    edited May 2016

David - clicking on the image would have prevented you to put on the glasses to see the castle. However, for the hours I spent on it to make it usable in Bryce, it's not exactly very prominent. Very nice renders. The 4th (Horotest_ta9) looks as if there was a huge planet to the left. I really like the effect.

Mermaid - oh, that has greatly improved.

I also had another go and used the Pits terrain from the Landscapes under Fantastic Skies set but inverted and then stacked it, using materials from the Hi-Res Terrain sets 1 and 2. The sky used is MorningClouds with the HDRI at yaw 180°. The sun rays are Frozencry's Streaming Rays (from bryce5.com). There are 12% soft sun shadows.

Coneyard

Coneyard.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 154K
    Post edited by Horo on

@mermaid010: rain in the desert looks good. Next stage is to quickly grow some flowers there, which often happens when it rains in the desert. The second version of your mountain scene is wonderful.

@David Brinnen: You're moped looks even better with round wheels. And your experimenst with skies are marvelous.

@c-ram: Quite an ambitious project, but you will certainly make a great render out of it.

@Horo: Fantastic, but uninhabitable looking landscape.

@David and Mermaid  : Thank you! Glad that my work is interesting for the Bryce community, I know that I am far from standards but it's also nice to put some touch this way. Aye,  crash while cloning.. I close my eyes each time I'm selecting instance function, it's awful!!

Mermaid, like horo said, great light improvement in your last render, nice ground texture too!

I'm working with wings3d at this moment and I'm modelling a barge which is going to take place on the left dock near the camera view. I'll post a render sooner.

Hansmar - thank you. Not habitable, but interesting to visit.

c-ram - the crashes: do you use the IL? That one is unstable. Ctrl-I and Alt-I should be more stable.

edited May 2016
    Horo said:

Hansmar - thank you. Not habitable, but interesting to visit.

c-ram - the crashes: do you use the IL? That one is unstable. Ctrl-I and Alt-I should be more stable.

I'm using Ctrl-I function for instancing my windows and the wall elements on my buildings. The problem was that for unknown reasons, I think I have merge a wrong object in my scene and using this object for instance was causing crash. I've delete it and now bryce is quite stable.
    Post edited by c-ram on
    A new render of my wip. Some more buildings on the right side and a distant dock on the left.
    Paris25.jpg
    1740 x 580 - 846K
    edited May 2016

Horo- thanks, both the castle and the Coneyard renders are great. Love the rays.

Hansmar – thanks

C-ram – thanks, your Paris scene is coming along great.

For this render, I used Horo’s RainCloud Hdri with the Rain Cube from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

enhanced05.jpg
    950 x 475 - 64K

For this render, I used Horo’s RainCloud Hdri with the Rain Cube from http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-environments-inclement-weather

Looks very wet to me, I'd rather stay in today. Well done!

• cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited May 2016

@Hansmar - Thats great! Reminds me of the entrance to the dungeons in Diablo.

@Kerya - Neat. A great idea the reminds me of the Doctor Who episode with the library planet, though that ones alot different.

@sriesch - id put a yoda in the forefront, with a caption "lost, are you?"

So Ha! I just moved from washington state to Arizona, and we were driving through Utah, I realized that we were going near Bryce Canyon!

We didnt have time to diverge to Bryce directly but I do plan to go there this year.

I was inspired to do a Bryce Canyon-ish render, though my main computer hasnt arrived yet, as its with all our stuff that the moving company is late getting to us.

I made this using a rinky-dink 1.5 ghz netbook with a 9 inch screen, a gig of ram, and a broken mouse (it only clicks for a sec or two before letting go on its own)

11Untitlvb778e33d-1b.jpg
    2100 x 1121 - 4M
    2016-05-11b.jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (6a).jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (5a).jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (4a).jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (3a).jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (2a).jpg
    2048 x 1152 - 2M
    2016-05-11 (1a).jpg
    1146 x 629 - 870K
    tristramcrop.jpg
    1221 x 1816 - 2M
    Post edited by cyberjym on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited May 2016
    cyberjym said:
    So Ha! I just moved from washington state to Arizona, and we were driving through Utah, I realized that we were going near Bryce Canyon!

We didnt have time to diverge to Bryce directly but I do plan to go there this year.

I was inspired to do a Bryce Canyon-ish render, though my main computer hasnt arrived yet, as its with all our stuff that the moving company is late getting to us.

You absolutely have to go to Bryce Canyon!   It should be manditory on everybody's to-do list, it is absolutely fantastic.  Take the time to hike down in, even if only a little way, to get the full effect.

I'm glad you did a render of Bryce in Bryce!  It's something I've been wanting to do for many years and just never have.  It would be really nice if we could find a good recipie for making the variations in width (see cross section red line on photo) of the individual hoodoos without having to actually model them, but I haven't given it enough thought yet.  Displacement that varies in strength based on vertical height I suppose? Or maybe stacked terrains or lattices?  Not sure.

Bryce Canyon.JPG
    800 x 490 - 174K
    Post edited by sriesch on
    edited May 2016

c-ram - great you've found the problem. Your project comes along nicely.

Mermaid - thank you. Rainy landscape looks nice, not very inviting for a stroll.

cyberjym - very elaborate scene. Bryce canyon looks quite good to me but I let you be the judge when you actually go there.

sriesch - I guess terrains or lattices would be a possible way to accomplish such towers.

Simple Wings3D object with a blue radial in it and lit by an HDRI and the sun. Much specular and anisotropy; a bit of transparency and reflection.

Bulges

Bulges.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 369K
    Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.