Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 9

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2016

Cyberjym – awesome modelling.

Dave – love both your drawing effects, very cool; reminds me of a Photoshop tutorial I once did called Scanline effect.

Horo- the steam boat render is stunning.

David – the Durdle Door renders are magnificent.

The pencil sketch effect using Horo’s pdf of a simple landscape and a flock of birds.

gloriousmorning.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 78K
    ps-gmorning3clouds.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 69K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited April 2016

Two more,

Thanks Horosmiley

pctrueambience.jpg
    500 x 500 - 40K
    pencilsketch-dolphins.jpg
    500 x 500 - 67K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited April 2016

All work and no play this week....

Luckily "work" is playing with Bryce. laugh

WonderWipesScaffoldWide.jpg
    1666 x 975 - 664K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,543

Hansmar - thank you.

David - thank you. Great "Durdle Door" renders. The fourth is my favorite, the first my second choice, however, all look great, especially the water foam on the sand. Now only the sand doesn't look wet, but that would be a difficult one to get right.

Mermaid - thank you. Great example of pencil sketches sand the introduction of a bit colour.

Dave - your "commercial" renders always look great.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited April 2016

@Dave, thank you, but 15 foot is high enough!  The "Wonder Wipes" render is very good, but I don't think I'd like to use that ladder!  In comparinson to the scaffolding I'd like something that looked more substantial and I think I'd struggle with the rung spacing.

@LelanieL, thank you, yes the North Sea can be "chilly", I've seen people just going for a paddle and hobbling alway because their feet have cramped up.

@Mermaid, very nice results, the pencil sketch effect can make a virtue out of what is normally a problem.  TA noise.

@Horo, thanks yes, the sand was a bit of a challenge with the edge foam.  The sand was "wetted" with altitude controlled reflection.  The edge is part altitude controlled ambient plus specular on the water with a hidden specular light source to highlight the edge.

Instead of getting on with verious household chores, as I should be, I've been tinkering away with Bryce.  These scenes are inspired by another place that I like to look at.  The Derbyshire Peak.  Similar setup to last ones with Horo's superb Sunless HDRI's and a mix and match arrangement of High Resolution Set terrains, materials and also some materials from our Vegetation set.

Derbyshire_peak1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 535K
    Derbyshire_peak2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 408K
    Derbyshire_peak3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 360K
    Derbyshire_peak4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 552K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895

@David Brinnen: Fantastic Durdle door renders! Great peaks renders as well. Wonderful how diferent you can make the atmosphere with good skies.

@mermaid010: Nice results. 

@Dave Savage: That box of wipes looks sooo real! Very well done.

edited April 2016

@Dave, thank you, but 15 foot is high enough!  The "Wonder Wipes" render is very good, but I don't think I'd like to use that ladder!  In comparinson to the scaffolding I'd like something that looked more substantial and I think I'd struggle with the rung spacing.

Haha... I'm not scared of heights.... Falling from heights on the other hand frown.

I was also in the Derbyshire High Peak 2 weeks ago taking a load of photos... Very good representation there David... I may have been stood on the ridge in your render. laugh

Derbyshire.jpg
    960 x 640 - 69K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2016

Very nice representation, David, of the Derbeyshire region. I've never been, but saw a wonderful lecture once about it though, and if I'm not mistaken, a high peak there was used for the film Pride & Predudice (the Keira Knightly version - seen at 0.31 sec on this YouTube link). I like the first one best, and those dramatic clouds, I'm sure, are ever present.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited April 2016

Tonight, I've been to Gotham... laugh

Projecting a gel light on to the single component volumetric clouds that David showed us how to make is not recommended if you're in a hurry. laugh

BatSignal.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 390K
    edited April 2016

Dave- lovely work/play render- the Wipes; interesting effect with the projecting light gel.

David – the Derbyshire Peaks renders are beautiful, Horo’s Sunless Hdris are awesome

Horo, David, Hansmar – thanks.

This is not really a pencil sketch, but I like this effect. (the same as above, before working on the sky as per Horo’s pdf.)

specular2-ps.jpg
    500 x 500 - 21K
    edited April 2016

....And while I was playing with volumetric clouds again:

PlaneClouds.jpg
    450 x 650 - 101K
    edited April 2016

David - beautiful Derbyshire renders, the first is very dramatic. I'm always amazed how different a rendered scene can look when the material on the terrain, the sky and the light are changed. But it should not surprise us, looking out of the window presents the same spectacle to us.

Dave - your photo confirms that David got the terrain shapes quite good. That volumetric cloud looks awesome. The sky render looks quite natural.

Mermaid - very nice vase and heart render.

I wondered whether I could render a panorama the way I photograph them with a 16 mm fisheye lens, using the FLO (fisheye lens object) and comparing the result with rendering the faces of a cube. For both methods, about twice as much pixels must be rendered than actually make it into the panorama. With 6 4000 x 4000 px cube faces, a 10,000 x 5,000 pano can be created. With the FLO (equivalent of a 12.14 mm fisheye lens) a 12,000 x 6,000 one from 6 4000 x 6000 px renders. (https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/PanoFLO.pdf text only https://horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/PanoFLO.txt). Below two examples: the landscape was rendered as 667 x 1000 px "photos" resulting in a 2024 x 1012 pano, the rib cage as 4000 x 6000 px and assembled to a 12,148 x 6,074 px pano.

LakescapePano

RibCage

Lakescapepano.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 173K
    RibCage.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 287K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited April 2016

Thanks Horo. I'd like to think I understand what you've done there but in reality, I don't... What I do know is the result looks great.

More volumetric clouds from me.... Just tinkering round the edges in the DTE and the Mat Lab... Same base material gives many different moods... Electricity Pylon is a freebie, I think may have been from ShareCG.

PylonCLouds2.jpg
    975 x 975 - 419K
  • cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited April 2016

So after months modeling a city castle too complex for bryce, im starting over from scratch.

I'm trying now to make low-poly models that will fit in bryce scenes, yet still be complex enough for my ideas.

Heres a new test model for my castle city, with a mindful design for low-polys.

Baeaarisades test sm 201604167p.jpg
    2500 x 1418 - 3M
    Post edited by cyberjym on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    ... Electricity Pylon is a freebie, I think may have been from ShareCG.

I'm glad you posted that, I was just looking for one.  Based on this I tried searching for "pylon", and found these two from Spacebones, although I haven't had a chance to try them yet :

High Voltage Pylon ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/26806/view/5/3D-Model/High-Voltage-Pylon )

High Voltage Pylon V.2 ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/26807/browse/5/3D-Model/High-Voltage-Pylon-V.2 )

sriesch said:
    I'm glad you posted that, I was just looking for one.  Based on this I tried searching for "pylon", and found these two from Spacebones, although I haven't had a chance to try them yet :

High Voltage Pylon ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/26806/view/5/3D-Model/High-Voltage-Pylon )

High Voltage Pylon V.2 ( http://www.sharecg.com/v/26807/browse/5/3D-Model/High-Voltage-Pylon-V.2 )

Yup that's the one... worth getting if only for the power lines to have going across skies, but the pylon is a great little prop too.

cyberjym said:

So after months modeling a city castle too complex for bryce, im starting over from scratch.

I'm trying now to make low-poly models that will fit in bryce scenes, yet still be complex enough for my ideas.

Heres a new test model for my castle city, with a mindful design for low-polys.

Though your castle looks cool, I'm wondering about the original one being too big for Bryce?

Are you modelling it in some other software and if you are, have you considered modelling it in Bryce? Bryce modelling does present it's own set of challenges but Bryce Primitive shapes are really really low poly and you can get millions of them into your model and I'm sure make it with all the detail you need without running into Out Of Memory problems. smiley

Dave - the clouds are awesome so is the Electricity Pylon

Horo - nice results, I too don't understand this, although I downloaded  the pdf when you first mentioned it. 

Cyberjym - wow cool model.

Sriesch - thanks for the links for the pylon

Dave - pylon and sky look realistic. I somehow hate those pylons beacsuse we have so many around here transporting electricity from our hydropower stations to Italy, France, Germany and the rest of Switzerland. I have often one or the other in my HDRIs.

sriesch - nonetheless of my "aversion" for pylons, thank you for the links. I think I ought to register at ShareCG one time.

cyberjym - yes, Dave Savage is right. Working with booleans in Bryce melts down the required memory dramatically. Some prefer subdivision modeler over booleans, though.

Mermaid and Dave - thank you. I'm sorry, it's a bit "academic" what I did above. I wanted to see whether I can emulate in Bryce a photo camera and the workflow I use for photographic panoramas. By the way, PTGui I use for stitching is not free and I downloaded and installed the newest version of Hugin (free for Windows, Mac and Linux), which is essentially similar to PTGui. I could enter the lens parameter PTGui calculated into Hugin and stitch a 12,000 pixel pano made from 6 4000 x 6000 pixel renders through the Bryce lens.

edited April 2016
    Horo said:

Dave - pylon and sky look realistic. I somehow hate those pylons beacsuse we have so many around here transporting electricity from our hydropower stations to Italy, France, Germany and the rest of Switzerland. I have often one or the other in my HDRIs.

I find them a blight on the landscape and yet very photogenic at the same time... But then , where I live, I see such a diverse landscape and can't help but photograph it at every opportunity.

In this photo, I'm stood on the top of a hill on Saddleworth Moor, the powerstation is about 40 miles away, the TV mast is about 15 miles away.

EmleyMoor.jpg
    960 x 546 - 51K
    edited April 2016

@Dave Savage: Nice work on the Bat render. And great clouds with you pylon. Looks suspiciously photorealistic.

@sriesch: Thanks for the link. I never realised these things are called pylons...

@cyberjym: Yes, I think the experts (Dave and Horo) surely have a point. What I have seen from your earlier big castle looked like something that can indeed be made relatively 'easily' in Bryce. It can be a lot of work, though with clever multireplicating parts, you can speed it up a lot. An issue with boolean always is (for me) to have a clever workflow when booleans are grouped with other booleans; I usually need to recombine one or two things, because I forgot to make a hole somewhere. Now, I am not a good modeller, so if you are, you will probably be able to do it rather quickly.

I decided to re-render the landscape sea-landscape that is on page 69. I moved the camera and decided to make a panoramic render. I like the result, specifically the great sky, which I cannot take credit for, because I used a preset, that I perhaps modified a bit.

mountainrange2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 983K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 873
    edited April 2016

Had a bit problems with the DAZ forums software. I apologize for my multiple postings.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited April 2016

As I mentioned above :-)

edited April 2016

Maybe you already know it, you can still find this bundle completely free.

http://www.daz3d.com/vampire-castle-bundle

But I have no idea how long. Have fun!

Castillo del Diablo.jpg
    800 x 600 - 408K

@Electro-Elvis: nice render and light.

Thank you Electro-Elvis. I got it - though I don't know when I'll have ever time to use it. I have so many things I haven't had the time to play with.

edited April 2016

@Dave Savage and Horo - Yeah I use sketchup for modeling. I've tried many others and found it to be the best for me to create easily. Creating Bryce shapes do seem pretty alot harder to make in comparison. 

Ive always wondered how booleans differ to meshes in bryce.

For now, im staying for sketchup though,

Eventually, all these projects are going to be handouts and maps for my personal dungeons and dragons campaign and sketchup helps me plan out the maps better.

Heres some samples of things I eventually want to model and showcase in bryce.

heres one of the first tests of the castle

original sketch

others..

sketch1400021152940.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 511K
    khaeulroone105.jpg
    1708 x 3124 - 3M
    rhaeorff halfpic.jpg
    3029 x 2348 - 3M
    cityworks 201602017w2.jpg
    4000 x 2188 - 2M
    rhaeorff landed 50 final1 painted1a.jpg
    1920 x 1137 - 551K
    GraeymaulteUntitled2.jpg
    1754 x 997 - 1M
    ghraeymalte bump 1a.jpg
    512 x 512 - 207K
    khaeorr - stonewhaend cgi merge 20130714b.JPG
    6598 x 5100 - 2M
    Arkragra - Illustration - cgi globe 20111110d.jpg
    6084 x 3000 - 1M
    castellegood415b.jpg
    8113 x 4000 - 6M
    Arkragra - Castelles Edge of Titalia - Fyornden - Guppul persp5 20101229.jpg
    3131 x 2331 - 2M
    Arkragra - illustration - Wyonn.jpg
    6511 x 5088 - 7M
    rhaeoorftestd.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 68K
    Untitleraeorf2d.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 45K
    khaeossteel 143a.jpg
    3200 x 2400 - 6M
    khaeossteel 181sm.jpg
    2000 x 1134 - 3M
    grasper enhanced original sketch.jpg
    1868 x 1410 - 2M
    edited April 2016

And now a good restart. The foundations and pillar walls are set, and coming in at under 70k. Huzzah, and stuff... heh

Ucolortestyyntitled.jpg
    1754 x 995 - 2M

Horo- nothing to be sorry about, a lot of things still don't make sense to me but I'm making nice artwork and having fun and that is all the matters. smiley Btw I would like to use the above image, if you don't mind, for David's tutorial Use Gel which I am presently working on.

Electro-elvis - lovely lighting, thanks for the link for the Vampire Castle Bundle. I checked it out but did not download them yet- are there any obj files that I can use directly in Bryce in this bundle.

Cyberjym - very, very impressive work, looking forward to the final Bryce render.

edited April 2016

Dave - amazingly clear weather and dry air to see 60 km far.

Hansmar - panorama turned out nicely. The grey reflection on the lakes look a bit odd to me.

cyberjym - you certainly are not one that shies away from work. Amazing elaborate.

Mermaid - "Btw I would like to use the above image, if you don't mind, for David's tutorial Use Gel". Of course, I don't mind, you're welcome to use it. Tell me if you want it bigger. By the way, I watched the video again and might add the following: Distant Light position resets. David mentions setting a keyframe. To prevent this resetting, click on the round thumbnail next to the lower right corner (Time/Selection Palette Toggle) to enable the Time Palette. Then click on the triangle (or down arrow) left of it. This opens a dialog. Make sure Auto Key is not enabled. The position of the Distant Light resets if Auto Key is ticked. You can then toggle back to the Selection Palette.

I used the same terrain as above for the panorama, positioned the camera differently and changed the HDRI. This is probaly the second time I used a Rainbow in a render; encouraged by Dave's sail ship render above on page 70.

After the Rain

AfterTheRain.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 238K
    Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.