NEW USER Contest June 2014 “WIP Thread”

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ chk2033

Frank0314 said:
    Light needs to be a little brighter and possible add a spot aimed at the skull to highlight it.
    I disagree Frank. I think the Ambient fill is just fine here. I do agree that there needs to be a Focus and focus light in the Image as well though. I might go so far on this image as to suggest double Rims, each side, on just the Figure in a color to get the figure to stand out from the Background better. But that's just me.
  • TheDarkerSideOfArtTheDarkerSideOfArt Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

thanks..funny i was thinking the same last night (2 rims one on each side) and focusing a light a little more at the skull,but without blowing it out.
    thanks for the advice

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Here is the latest updated version. I added a spotlight with the same colour as the flame light in the fireplace to help illuminate that side of the face and another spotlight set at a distance to try and bring out the monocle.

The_Lecture_23.jpg
    800 x 800 - 272K
    edited June 2014

For the Monocle I would fiddle with the glass surface setting a bit. Even in this lighting it should IMHO have some Reflection/Glossy high lights in a place or two. Even if just a small spot in one place.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited June 2014

Here's my bid. Any suggestions?

Used a spotlight pointed at the cybernetic arm and one point light placed inside the flame adjusted to match the flames ambient color. Going for that in the shadows feel. No post work.

Edited: To add info.

Sov.jpg
    579 x 642 - 127K
    Post edited by JesterVII on
  • bluestormwillowbluestormwillow Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Okay...wow. I don't know if I can compete with what I've seen here, but here goes...

I've only just started playing with lighting, watched a few video tuts, etc. But I'm having fun with it. One question - Can someone tell me what "shadow bias" is. I've figured out most of the other settings, but so far I can not seem to figure out what this does.

The working title is "Storm Seeker", but that may change if I can come up with something better.

StormSeeker.jpg
    800 x 800 - 72K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

Shadow bias moves the shadow toward or away from the object.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited June 2014

If I may suggest a new idea?
    I think it would be a good implement to add the reason(s) for why the winners won.
    As I'm viewing the previous winners over the past few months. They seem random without a cause.
    I am trying to figure out how, and why some renders won.
    It would be a simple solution to add at least one reason to why the winners are the winners.

Here's why I want to know. The bottom line is.
    I want to know WHY they won, so I can apply the same concept or similar to, into MY render next time, (as to be more skillful and competitive.)

If you want to be a winner, learn from a winner.
    With no reason for why they were selected. We cant learn much can we?.

Much like the Pro Bowl. There is a reason why the players are selected after the super bowl.
    They do this, to show the NFL players across the league what to aim for next time.
    That way the players have an idea of what is considered skillful.

If we applied the same idea's to these monthly contests. With a reason why they were selected.
    The artists would have a better idea of what is considered skillful.
    :)

Post edited by Angel on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

JesterVII said:
    Here's my bid. Any suggestions?

Used a spotlight pointed at the cybernetic arm and one point light placed inside the flame adjusted to match the flames ambient color. Going for that in the shadows feel. No post work.

Edited: To add info.

I think if you're going for the arm emerging from the shadows, then you need to have the upper arm begin to blend into those shadows as well. As it is, it is so bright all I see is the arm. A little more balance between the arm and the face would help immensely.

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

danwat801 said:
    I think it would be a good implement to add the reason(s) for why the winners won.
    As I'm viewing the previous winners over the past few months. They seem random without a cause.
    It would be a simple solution to add at least one reason to why the winners are the winners.

I want to know WHY they won, so I can apply the same concept or similar to, into MY render next time, (as to be more skillful and competitive.)

Much like the Pro Bowl. There is a reason why the players are selected after the super bowl.
    They do this, to show the NFL players across the league what to aim for next time.

If we applied the same idea's to these monthly contests. With a reason why they were selected.

I'd agree with this. I can appreciate that the judges are probably too busy to give any long critiques, but just a couple of lines about what made the winners winners would be very helpful. Maybe even why some near misses didn't quite make it!

edited June 2014

stargazey said:
    danwat801 said:

I'd agree with this. I can appreciate that the judges are probably too busy to give any long critiques, but just a couple of lines about what made the winners winners would be very helpful. Maybe even why some near misses didn't quite make it!I hear you but the very nature of the voting would not allow this. Only the images are judged without who did them and they are voted on by many. This means some voted for image A to win and some voted on image Z to win. Each vote has a value in the method and the winner is the image with the highest total. No one judge could say why Image B won, they might not have even voted for Image B.
    It is simple to see for yourselves though. Read the Goal of the contest for that month, and then look at the images that won with the goal as the only reason it could have won. I hope this helps some.

• bluestormwillowbluestormwillow Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Shadow bias moves the shadow toward or away from the object.

Thank you! That's makes sense.

• Roaming HermitRoaming Hermit Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

I think this is the right idea for the contest, in the right format, bit size, and dimensions but please double check. Likewise, critique and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Been working with 3d for only a little while and this is my first attempt at placing it up with other works. Let me know what's right...let me know what's wrong...and let me know what I can do to improve.........Name of the image is "Relaxing Evening". Trying to go for an evening look with a slight sheen to the skin, and a slight reflectivity of the pool lights...did I get there. First time jitters.....

Relaxing_Evening.jpg
    780 x 600 - 355K
    Post edited by Roaming Hermit on
    edited December 1969

trk48881 said:
    I think this is the right idea for the contest, in the right format, bit size, and dimensions but please double check. Likewise, critique and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Been working with 3d for only a little while and this is my first attempt at placing it up with other works. Let me know what's right...let me know what's wrong...and let me know what I can do to improve.........Name of the image is "Relaxing Evening". Trying to go for an evening look with a slight sheen to the skin, and a slight reflectivity of the pool lights...did I get there. First time jitters.....

What software are you using?

edited June 2014

removed and placed back in gallery..sorry

Little_Miss_Curse_Bringer.jpg
    615 x 800 - 357K
    Post edited by TheDarkerSideOfArt on
  • edited June 2014

This is my first post for the Daz3D community. I have been using DAZ3d for about two years, using it mostly as a creative outlet to handle school stress. I hope you like it, and I always like to have feedback.

Title: Unleashed.

Daz3d 4.6 No post product work. Genesis and Victoria 4. Raw Energy morphs.

MOVED to to WIP thread.

unchained.jpg
    1592 x 891 - 1008K
    edited December 1969

aaron2835 said:
    This is my first post for the Daz3D community. I have been using DAZ3d for about two years, using it mostly as a creative outlet to handle school stress. I hope you like it, and I always like to have feedback.

Title: Unleashed.

Daz3d 4.6 No post product work. Genesis and Victoria 4. Raw Energy morphs.

This is a nice render. But this contest is about portraits and the lighting used on them, not full renders as you have done. Please Read the First post in the thread for the information on this months contest.
  • ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Having trouble changing my entry to anything better, I have made it different though and arguably more in keeping with the setting.

Any ideas welcome.

The original was here...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=506&aid=141652_ssfUjiNhSnjDeXWbHHR9&board_id=1

And now this..

PortLightsSet01.jpg
    800 x 450 - 197K
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

My new attempt to create a lighting portrait. I wanted this scene to feel like she is trying to escape from some facility and the lights are going crazy. But, long way to go to achieve that : D here´s WIP picture.

ligh_scene_01.jpg
    600 x 988 - 439K
    edited December 1969

My new attempt to create a lighting portrait. I wanted this scene to feel like she is trying to escape from some facility and the lights are going crazy. But, long way to go to achieve that : D here´s WIP picture.

What about a different color on the left side of the face, instead of a whitish light?

edited June 2014

So this image kind of is similar to your idea, except the motivation of the scene isn't so sinister. ;-) It's similar in that I wanted some different light effects.

I wanted a Christmas pin-up style render, so I built a string of Christmas lights and wrapped them around a V4. Each light is a little colored bulb light. I also needed some other light to fill in the shadows a bit and to separate her from the background so I inserted some spotlights to provide a rim light on either side of her. I also have a distant light set to 50% brightness with a pinkish color and a spot light set to 40% with a blueish color placed at an opposing angle to the distant light.

Not an entry BTW, just an example.

X-Mas_2013_Pinup02.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 939K
    Picture_5.png
    1077 x 474 - 159K
    Picture_4.png
    970 x 446 - 135K
    Picture_3.png
    961 x 363 - 104K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

That render looks very good! So you placed the xmas lights into the light bulbs so it looks like the light is coming from inside the light bulb?

• MaRuMaRu Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

After posting "Ro-man with Golden Helmet" I realised that having an idea and the ongoing contest would have gone well together. So I decided to try a "Wo-man with Golden Helmet" and some new lighting.

Suggestions welcome.

Software used: DAZ 4.6, minimal postwork (cropping and signature) in Corel Paint.

Figures/Props: Genesis, Alruna + Textures, Jepes Graphics

Title: Leonia of the Fire

Leona_Contest.jpg
    616 x 800 - 376K
    edited December 1969

That render looks very good! So you placed the xmas lights into the light bulbs so it looks like the light is coming from inside the light bulb?

That is correct. The bulb lights (I think they're called point lights in D|S) are placed within the bulb housing. The bulb housings are translucent and colored either red, blue, green, yellow, etc. The emitted light is white, but the light passing through the translucent shader colors it, just like in real life.

The little christmas lights on their own provided some nice illumination, but since I don't use ambient light, I needed some fill, and of course the rim lights provide nice separation from the background.

edited December 1969

After posting "Ro-man with Golden Helmet" I realised that having an idea and the ongoing contest would have gone well together. So I decided to try a "Wo-man with Golden Helmet" and some new lighting.

Suggestions welcome.

Software used: DAZ 4.6, minimal postwork (cropping and signature) in Corel Paint.

Figures/Props: Genesis, Alruna + Textures, Jepes Graphics

Title: Leonia of the Fire

Very nice work!

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited June 2014

Thank you everyone who gave some advice on an idea I had started with. I attempted to use the suggestions and actually came up with something completely different. I am still working on it. Since this thread is part of the monthly contest I have this image/scene that I am working on still. There is no post work done on this preliminary.

prelim_image2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 164K
    Post edited by Xangth on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

Looks pretty good. I may suggest adding in a single spot and shine it on her face to highlight it.

edited December 1969

Question,once I've create an image specifically for this contest,and posted it ,am i allowed to post it elsewhere on the web or should I wait till after the contest is over to do so?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Title: The Lecture

I think I finally managed to get a reflection on the monocle.

The_Lecture_39.jpg
    800 x 800 - 271K
  • Roaming HermitRoaming Hermit Posts: 0
    edited June 2014

Using Daz 3d. Any info or feedback on "Relaxing Evening". Is this the right idea for this month's contest. I'm a newbie all the way around the board so trying to figure this all out. Posting/blogging is all new to me...thanks....

Image Added to thread by Me so users do not need to leave the Thread.

Relaxing_Evening.jpg
    780 x 600 - 355K