NEW USER Contest June 2014 “WIP Thread”

frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,396

New User’s Contest - June 2014
Sponsored by DAZ3D and ForbiddenWhispers

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Are you a Veteran of the Forums and contests? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest…
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Portrait Render Contest take 2, Now light it up”

This month’s contest is about taking your finilized render from the May Portrait Render contest and experiment with different lighting techniques. For those who didn't take part in the May contest don't fret, you can make your portrait render this month and apply the lighting to it.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/
For many tutorials and examples of Lighting see these threads "Beginning to see the Light" and “3D Lights & Magic” and "MOOD LIGHTING"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Prizes:
This month's contest is being sponsored by ForbiddenWhispers.

Post edited by Jaderail on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,396
    edited December 1969

Everyone who wishes to submit an entry needs to look over the rules. We are having to many that are not adhering to the size requirement nor titling there image.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited June 2014

Since I missed the mark on my first try I am starting a new character and idea. I'm still working on everything and it's still the beginning of the month. The last months entries I thought were all great and everyone did some really nice stuff. Well here is my start of the month idea #1
    I know the project is for a portrait or "mug shot" the preliminary image is only an idea for a character to use.

prelim_portrait1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 409K
    Post edited by Xangth on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just a friendly reminder as many have not paid much attention to it fully.

Portrait: por·trait
    noun
    1. a likeness of a person, especially of the face, as a painting, drawing, or photograph: a gallery of family portraits.

Many did did this properly and many did not. Please remember the contest is on Portraits and now the Lighting used.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited December 1969

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to participate anymore. Is one year of experience too advanced to compete?

edited December 1969

You are allowed to compete until you graduate from here by winning in this contest, we (the Admins) will tell you when you graduate. Or possibly by winning in one of the other Major render contest sponsored by DAZ 3D. That is also up to those that run this contest. As far as I know at this time you are allowed to join this contest.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

A couple of questions:

1. Do we have to use the image(s) submitted to the May contest? I seem to recall Chohole saying we could use the images submitted in May or use a new image.

2. Is this enough of the face to qualify for this month's contest or do I need to re-frame the image?

The_Lecture_8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Your fine either way. With a new image or this cut version.

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

noun
    1. a likeness of a person, especially of the face, as a painting, drawing, or photograph: a gallery of family portraits.

Many did did this properly and many did not. Please remember the contest is on Portraits and now the Lighting used.

You have just bolded the bit you wanted to draw attention to. Let me change it for a moment.

noun

A portrait can just as easily be a full body shot where the object of attention is clearly the figure and nothing else in the scene. I would allow that the majority of portraits tend to be head and shoulders, but the point is they don't have to be.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

True, but in the first part of this contest we did state that it was concentrating on the "face, eyes, posing, expression etc" and thus a head and shoulder style was what we were looking for.

edited June 2014

Jaderail said:

noun

You have just bolded the bit you wanted to draw attention to. Let me change it for a moment.

noun

A portrait can just as easily be a full body shot where the object of attention is clearly the figure and nothing else in the scene. I would allow that the majority of portraits tend to be head and shoulders, but the point is they don't have to be.

Just as Chohole points out I was pointing out what THIS contest was about. Not debating what a portrait was, it was stated more than once Head and shoulder type images were what the focus of the contest was on. And at this time it still is.

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    True, but in the first part of this contest we did state that it was concentrating on the "face, eyes, posing, expression etc" and thus a head and shoulder style was what we were looking for.

Thanks chohole. I really should know by now to do just a modicum of research before wading in on issues of semantics. ;)

edited December 1969

A couple of questions:

1. Do we have to use the image(s) submitted to the May contest? I seem to recall Chohole saying we could use the images submitted in May or use a new image.

2. Is this enough of the face to qualify for this month's contest or do I need to re-frame the image?

If you participated and submitted an image for the may contest we would prefer you use that image but it isn't a requirement.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    Since I missed the mark on my first try I am starting a new character and idea. I'm still working on everything and it's still the beginning of the month. The last months entries I thought were all great and everyone did some really nice stuff. Well here is my start of the month idea #1
    I know the project is for a portrait or "mug shot" the preliminary image is only an idea for a character to use.

Besides the advise from the others, your lighting needs a bit of work. You defensibility need to soften the shadows on it. Also it is looking a bit flat.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:

Apart from the lighting, do you have a Displacement or Bump map on the wall? That would make it more realistic, I think. Also, the dress is very shiny, and looks a bit like plastic :)

It might be more interesting if the woman were looking at something, so there was some sort of interaction - either at the gun, or at the camera, for example.

The lighting might possibly profit from a greater variance between lighted and dark areas. Right now, the girl is lighted very evenly, just as the wall. If you have areas of light and of darkness, you create points of interest viewers can focus on.

Just a few thoughts! :)

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Okay, here's my attempt at dramatic portrait lighting. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

wary3-a.jpg
    800 x 666 - 322K
    edited December 1969

Okay, here's my attempt at dramatic portrait lighting. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Very nice

edited June 2014

Very good. Now in my work I would go back and add a RIM light to the right side of the figure. As Viewed of its left.

A Rim light is a light, most often a spotlight, set so that only the outer edge of the figure gets a light highlight along it.

That to me would really make this figure pop. You will need to experiment with where to place the light, the Spread of the light, probably shaping the light with scaling the X Y or Z as needed to keep it just were you want, a color and intensity. But as this contest is on lighting now is the time to play and learn. Not to mention to make your image Pop even more.
    edited December 1969

here's the render with two rim lights added, one for the face and one for the shoulder. Specular only.

Wary3-b.jpg
    800 x 666 - 325K
    edited December 1969

here's the render with two rim lights added, one for the face and one for the shoulder. Specular only.

Still wouldn't want to meet him anywhere. ;-)

Looking good SGCBearcub.

edited December 1969

I saved this one specifically for this month. I did not like the lighting I had before and knew I would need help.

Here is an updated version. I am trying to go for a dimly lit, den/club type feel.

The_Lecture_17.jpg
    800 x 800 - 270K
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

My "Portrait with Gold" from last month, with new lighting. (and a new hair style!) - Any comments are most welcome.

Portrait-N03B(1).jpg
    615 x 800 - 374K
    edited December 1969

I am trying to go for a dimly lit, den/club type feel.

What about a small orange tinted point light just below his jaw level on the right side so he gets a little light from the fire thrown up against the lower side of his face?

edited December 1969

I'd say that entry is ready. Very well done. Very impressive

edited June 2014

I saved this one specifically for this month. I did not like the lighting I had before and knew I would need help.

Here is an updated version. I am trying to go for a dimly lit, den/club type feel.

I am trying to go for a dimly lit, den/club type feel.

What about a small orange tinted point light just below his jaw level on the right side so he gets a little light from the fire thrown up against the lower side of his face?

Good so far. May want to add or increase the light on the face. A spot at 35-40% should work good. I agree with bearcub. A light orange or yellow to get the effect of the fire glowing on his face

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

stargazey said:
    My "Portrait with Gold" from last month, with new lighting. (and a new hair style!) - Any comments are most welcome.

Very nice. I like the shadows on it.

• TheDarkerSideOfArtTheDarkerSideOfArt Posts: 84
    edited June 2014

Here's my wip using 2 light's( "OBJ sphere's")..still gonna play around with the sliders in Daz to it give it a little more SSS for the skin"
    mess with different lights
    and diff outfit..i guess.
    just a rough idea of where im going with the image..
    anyhoot..
    any daz advice to make the image "pop" is greatly appreciated.
    thanks for looking

DazRender.jpg
    738 x 800 - 150K
    Post edited by TheDarkerSideOfArt on
    edited December 1969

Light needs to be a little brighter and possible add a spot aimed at the skull to highlight it.

edited December 1969

Well done. Do you see how the figure now has a stronger presence in the second Image?
    edited December 1969

I think you have hit on the look very well here. At full size it shows very well. I would possibly work on the monocle glass though, it seems gone in this render.
    edited December 1969

stargazey said:
    Nice render, I see nothing that could be improved more in this one.