[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• barbult said:

Testing Mesh Grabber 1.9.0 Public Beta: ...

I see another issue, though. I saw this is in the past, too. The keyboard shortcuts to grow and shrink selections do not work reliably for me. 

Ok i'll have to have a look at that too  

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

Testing Mesh Grabber 1.9.0 Public Beta:

1. Is there any way to reactivate the previous selection? If I select some geometry with Mesh Grabber but then accidently miss the arrowhead of the gizmo when I click, it clears my selection. I would like to get that selection back!

@barbult, The way I get around this issue is to use the Geometry Editor Tool to select polygons and the Mesh Grabber to move them. I switch back and forth a lot, and when I return to the GeoEditor Tool, the last polygons I've selected are still selected.

I know it's not ideal, but it's been working really well for me. I admit, I'd like the ability to get that selection back while in the Mesh Grabber as well.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

@barbult, The way I get around this issue is to use the Geometry Editor Tool to select polygons and the Mesh Grabber to move them. I switch back and forth a lot, and when I return to the GeoEditor Tool, the last polygons I've selected are still selected.

That's a brilliant tip, thanks!

I just dl'ed the beta, will be testing over the weekend.

• BRISQBRISQ Posts: 4

Want to buy this!!! Hope you can make it work for MAC soon!

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817
    edited February 2020

@ManFriday for some reason, my Dazstudio does now freeze with the .dll's

At this point.

if I move the dll's out of my daz folder I can start it but... rip beta :(

is there a logfile that explain this behavior so I can share it with you?

It worked first great yesterday, but now its... broken.

Would be good if we can find the bug.

Update: my Backup Original .dll does still work.

2020-02-21 16_42_48.jpg
    767 x 655 - 303K
    Post edited by Loony on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,938

@ MrDarck Beta 1.9.0 is still working OK for me, so it is not a universal problem. Maybe try to download the beta DLLs again in case it somehow got corrupted??

• MrDarck said:

if I move the dll's out of my daz folder I can start it but... rip beta :(

is there a logfile that explain this behavior so I can share it with you?

It worked first great yesterday, but now its... broken.

Would be good if we can find the bug.

Update: my Backup Original .dll does still work.

I introduced a bug in the latest beta that stopped it from working if more than one instance of Daz Studio was running. I have already found the cause and fixed it, I'll probably do another beta soon. Sorry about that!

edited February 2020

will try it.

its weird, because from start does my studio not load a scene, so... its not part of a object who causes this.

weird, can't delete it, because daz studio is using the rota dll O_o

okay, now I could delete it, after killing the task.

redownloading worked, maybe I just had to kill the buggy taskmanager instance who still was running, no idea...

Post edited by Loony on
    edited February 2020

I am able to reproduce the bug, so barbult you can try it too :)

I use for changing stuff in a scene a Subscene and then load just the 1-2 Props/people etc in a second daz studio, so I dont have to clear the complete scene, like just moving a figure into a new studio.

That does work with the normal .dll

With the Beta .dll this will cause a crash in the second studio, also after crashing and closing Studio 1 too, the second studio will stay up in the taskmanager details.

there will be 1 left, even after closing all daz studios. And THAT will cause that no daz studio can't be open anymore.

So the new plugin have a problem with multi instance, the old plugin not.

@ManFriday if you need I can make a video, if you don't understand or can't follow my steps :)

Edit: just saw there was a answer from you haha... the forum didnt showed it, thanks :)

2020-02-21 19_32_16.jpg
    590 x 208 - 94K
    Post edited by Loony on
    edited February 2020

Here is a video of the problem I am having with selecting vertices and edges. Maybe you will see something I am doing wrong. I also thought it was working better in the previous beta, but now in 1.9 it very seldom selects the correct element. In the recorded example, I am working on a primitive plane.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited February 2020

I wanna make a grabbing from the blanket, and I tested it with my shirt^^... and I see grabbing make some kind of lines.

(random google ref^^)

but, when I select the lines with the geo and switch to the mesh grabber, it increase the points O_o

I try to use the sharp tool.

@barbult, yeah I had that problem too, thats why I use the geo editor, but it seems like... the grabber dont wanna use the geo vertex/edge...

2020-02-21 20_06_09.jpg
    640 x 806 - 382K
    2020-02-21 20_06_00.jpg
    655 x 779 - 389K
    2020-02-21 20_08_32.jpg
    534 x 546 - 112K
    Post edited by Loony on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,830

Having some fun twisting long cylinders about. You can take it too far as the last one shows.

Mesh grabber rotation spiral.jpg
    600 x 600 - 38K
    Mesh grabber rotation s-curve.jpg
    600 x 600 - 16K
    Mesh grabber rotation axis moves.jpg
    600 x 600 - 21K
    Mesh grabber rotation sprial 2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 63K
    RGcincy said:

Having some fun twisting long cylinders about. You can take it too far as the last one shows.

Now add a green shader and make a little head + a tongue and you have a snake ;)....

(I have some snake leather shaders, that could fit^^)

• DripDrip Posts: 1,184
    edited February 2020
    MrDarck said:

I flipped the camera more around and... *magic* the green arrow did now appear O_o...

Maybe also a MeshGrabber bug?

It seems like the green arrow re-appeared when the larger part of it moved above the seam on the frontside of the sock? Did you also try zooming out from the sock? Because, if it suddenly does re-appear when you do, it might be caused by the combination of transparency channels within the socks' textures and/or skin textures and of the channels used by the arrow itself. In which case it wouldn't necessarily be a Mesh Grabber problem, but rather something that might show up anywhere in Daz where such arrows (or other such control tools) are used. It wouldn't be a common problem, it needs specific circumstances to coincide, like here.

Post edited by Drip on

I ahve no idea about the socks.... every day a new project so.... too late the answer^^... and my brain is bad in remembering ;)

• DripDrip Posts: 1,184
    MrDarck said:

I ahve no idea about the socks.... every day a new project so.... too late the answer^^... and my brain is bad in remembering ;)

In that case, this'll just be something to remind, in case anyone runs into this problem again. With polygons being so small, and the arrows often being placed inside objects, I suspect someone will run into it within half a year. (It's really not common for something like this to happen anymore, when I was still messing around in Second Life a few years ago, I saw this effect several times though. Some people even found useful implementations for it)

The gainrate does not affect the rota, could you make that possible, touching the rota cuases for me most times a instant explosion :/

With the new rotation in version 1.9 beta, how can I control the point that the selected geometry rotates around? How on earth did Rich do those spirals????

barbult said:

With the new rotation in version 1.9 beta, how can I control the point that the selected geometry rotates around? How on earth did Rich do those spirals????

It's in the manual smiley

Paintbox said:
    barbult said:

Thanks for your help. I guess it didn't "click" with me. blush Is this the key phrase: "You can move the gizmo without modifying any mesh by holding down the Ctrl key while dragging one of its six handles." Or something else? I'll have to try again. Is that how Rich made spirals?

yeah, for any rotation to happen you need an axis point. You can have an axis in the center of an object or outside, so all the points revolve around this invisible axis. This is what you need to do with the control key pressed. 

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,058

There's the chance to rebind the keys for special operations with the plugin? I use those same keys combinations with some other plugin/script/command and they overlap with the Grabber ones. sad

• Imago said:

There's the chance to rebind the keys for special operations with the plugin? I use those same keys combinations with some other plugin/script/command and they overlap with the Grabber ones. sad

Which ones would you like to configure? Is it the ctrl+drag? I can create options for that.

• barbult said:
    Paintbox said:
    barbult said:

Thanks for your help. I guess it didn't "click" with me. blush Is this the key phrase: "You can move the gizmo without modifying any mesh by holding down the Ctrl key while dragging one of its six handles." Or something else? I'll have to try again. Is that how Rich made spirals?

Yes, that is the key phrase. Rotations are more complicated than moves. :-) You need an axis and an angle. The axes are in the gizmo, so use Ctrl+drag to move the gizmo around. If you have a suggestion for a better explanation in the manual, I'm all ears!

• MrDarck said:

The gainrate does not affect the rota, could you make that possible, touching the rota cuases for me most times a instant explosion :/

I'll have a look at this. Thank you!

edited February 2020
    ManFriday said:
    Imago said:

Which ones would you like to configure? Is it the ctrl+drag? I can create options for that.

the CTRL+ + or - does not work, only in the geo editor, maybe you find a fix for this too. atleast for me.

and I didnt knowed the CTRL thing^^... but from my short test now, I do not see any difference, when I move the tool to a other location and rotate then, it looks always the same.

Post edited by Loony on
    edited February 2020
    barbult said:

Is that how Rich made spirals?

The spirals were made two ways: either select the very top of a cylinder or the midsection. In both cases, you rotate almost a full turn, stop, then rotate a second and/or third time (be careful not to lose the connection in between pauses).

ETA: you can also use translate at the end and stretch it into a spiral spring. Haven't figured out how to make a normal spring yet

mesh grabber spiral cylinder.jpg
    235 x 357 - 26K
    mesh grabber spiral top start.jpg
    683 x 492 - 79K
    mesh grabber spiral top 1st.jpg
    683 x 492 - 51K
    mesh grabber spiral top 3rd.jpg
    683 x 492 - 59K
    mesh grabber spiral start.jpg
    683 x 492 - 77K
    mesh grabber spiral 1st.jpg
    683 x 492 - 75K
    mesh grabber spiral 2nd.jpg
    683 x 492 - 79K
    mesh grabber spiral top extended.jpg
    683 x 492 - 88K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

Is that how Rich made spirals?

The spirals were made two ways: either select the very top of a cylinder or the midsection. In both cases, you rotate almost a full turn, stop, then rotate a second and/or third time (be careful not to lose the connection in between pauses).

ETA: you can also use translate at the end and stretch it into a spiral spring. Haven't figured out how to make a normal spring yet

Great, thank you! I made a spiral, but I started with a lower resolution cylinder, so I later added subD (I know Mesh Grabber only works on base, so results will not be the same). I added smoothing, too, and it made an interesting blob at the end. Lots to experiment with here!

Mesh Grabber Spiral SubD Smoothing.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 561K
    barbult said:

... and it made an interesting blob at the end. Lots to experiment with here!

I like the blob...there's the making of a snake MrDarck suggested!

RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

... and it made an interesting blob at the end. Lots to experiment with here!

I like the blob...there's the making of a snake MrDarck suggested!

yeah just wanted to mention that :D now try to make a "line", split it give it a red shader, so you have a tongue :D