any news on the hd plugin?? :D

Comments

•  

sadly he was too expensive for me to buy a gift certificate for you too at our exchange rate esp needing dog 8, I already spent far too much buying two other JC figures with him,

it did occur to me, iheart

s OK I am very greatful fur your plugin a few figures don't matter, he at least can use displacement as the details linear

I am very impressed how other stuff works with it

next months budget maybe if another GC offer on DAZ can toss one in but do wait until sales as no need or rush so can get more stuff when I do

Please don't bother if you don't need it. When I say it's too expensive, it's the short hand for "it's too expensive for something I don't need".

Displacement is also a good alternative. For what I've seen, most of the HD morphs could be done with displacement. The problem with that is that licence terms forbid to extract height map from DAZ characters.It's a pity because it would be so easy to bake height map from base model and HD model and extract the differences. And I don't want to cross DAZ because I'm still hoping that, one day, they will open more of the SDK for third party developpers.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2019

as I only use Carrara I'm unfamiliar with all these new terms and don't have programs like ZBrush and those others with abbreviated letters .. I have no idea what a UDIM is as I don't use DS so it all gets lost on me..

That's why I'll wait till the end when hopefully just a Carrara tut will be available on how to implement it. wink

Well, HD Morphs are made FOR Daz Studio, so at the very least, we need to enter DS long enough to export the HD Morph as OBJ. Once that's done, the rest should all be okay with a Carrara-Only process.

Philemo's tutorial should be nice and easy - even for those of us who never/rarely open DS! yes

And just to clarify, in Step 4 and Step 5 of the tutorial, he is first (step 4) importing the exported (from DS) HD morphed figure as an OBJ with his import notes applied, and then in step 5, he's loading in the figure that we would otherwise use the morph on into the same scene, with the obj from step 4.

An example:

If we're going to use a Gianni 6 HD morph,

• Step 1 - in Daz Studio we'd load in Gianni 6 HD character preset 
    • Step 2 - since this is a Character Preset, this step should already be done (but check his notes just to see what it means)
    • Step 3 - export as obj from Daz Studio - see Philemo's notes
    • Step 4 - In Carrara, Import the obj we've just exported from DS - see Philemo's notes
    • Step 5 - In the same Carrara scene, load Gianni 6 HD Character Preset from your library - see Philemo's notes
    • Step 6 - with Actor selected, make sure that the smoothing levels in Carrara are the same as they were in DS from Step 2
    • Step 7 - with Actor selected, add the Philemo > HD Morph modifier
    • Step 8 - click Choose Target
    • Step 9 - in the list, select the obj we've imported from DS (step 4)
    • Step 10 - Celebrate... we're done!
    • Step 11 - may now delete the imported obj (step 4) from the scene.

gianni 6 heartheart

can finally use his hd add on

converting his huge tif files to png  for phong

actually does the hd and phong tesselation work together
    mebbe shouldnt use together

gianni 6 has lovely hd add on.  never checked if his anatomicals has hd details kiss

ooo minotaur 6 hdenlightened

Post edited by Mistara on

does wrench room do un udm?

i've already brought a bunch of 'baked' characters over to car files.
    dont know how to swap the uvs in carrara

can a carrara preset inject a morph?
    in the poser days a morph channel needed to exist to inj a morph
    i think a cbr file should be like a poser pz2.
    thinkin a preset to inj character could take the place of umport procedure
    mebbe a preset to inj the channel first

am i babbling?  lol

so excited with the new stuff

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited April 2019

sadly he was too expensive for me to buy a gift certificate for you too at our exchange rate esp needing dog 8, I already spent far too much buying two other JC figures with him,

it did occur to me, iheart

s OK I am very greatful fur your plugin a few figures don't matter, he at least can use displacement as the details linear

I am very impressed how other stuff works with it

next months budget maybe if another GC offer on DAZ can toss one in but do wait until sales as no need or rush so can get more stuff when I do

Please don't bother if you don't need it. When I say it's too expensive, it's the short hand for "it's too expensive for something I don't need".

Displacement is also a good alternative. For what I've seen, most of the HD morphs could be done with displacement. The problem with that is that licence terms forbid to extract height map from DAZ characters.It's a pity because it would be so easy to bake height map from base model and HD model and extract the differences. And I don't want to cross DAZ because I'm still hoping that, one day, they will open more of the SDK for third party developpers.

actually I do this already with Xnormal, was my way around some of them not having displacement maps but I need to change the UV mapping as Xnormal does not do overlapping UV's (or read UDIM) it will work beautifully with Dog 8 though as he / she is flat mapped

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,910
    edited April 2019

sadly though the scaling is baked in so the script won't fix it,

Misty uses DSON editor By D3D to remove it

Too bad.crying. And Cassius + Daz dog 8 is too expensive for me to buy and experiment with.

At least, the script should help with the Lee 6 pointed out by @Bunyip02_Carrara and G8 baby by @Headwax_Carrara.

Tried Gianni 6 HD & Lee 6 HD with the unscale script, both worked no problems !!!

G2M Gianni HD 1.png
    2265 x 1037 - 452K
    G2M Lee 6 HD 1 scaling works.png
    2265 x 1035 - 476K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Good news, it’s actually not common  for this issue as on human figures it will cause issues in DAZ studio too and some DAZ studio users complain devil so the script may even benefit them yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

Greetings @Philemo_Carrara

If I was interesting in extracting an height map from another non-Daz character - how would I best do it?

I have baker plugin but it does not give me a choice of height map or depth map.

And what would be the bext way 'to extract the differences" between different height maps? 

thanks again for all your hard work on Carrara !

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Man, a lot of my HD figgies use iray or AoA SSS for some details...

• Greetings @Philemo_Carrara

If I was interesting in extracting an height map from another non-Daz character - how would I best do it?

I have baker plugin but it does not give me a choice of height map or depth map.

And what would be the bext way 'to extract the differences" between different height maps? 

A good start would be to extract the high poly normal map using Inagoni Baker. It's usually enough for facets facing the camera. Not so good for those perpendicular to the camera.

Now, you can, for instance, use this Gimp plugin https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-normalmap/ to convert your normal map to height.

To get a differential height map, you can do the same process with the low poly object and use Carrara operators in your displacement shader ( high poly height map + value 0.5 - low poly height map)..

• MAJourney said:

I know. I have some improvements to do in the PBR plugin to import them correctly. For instance, I saw while testing HD morph that import of the Uber Iray model was all wrong.

I will release a new version in a few weeks.

• Tried Gianni 6 HD & Lee 6 HD with the unscale script, both worked no problems !!!

Glad it did. Problem solved

Good news, it’s actually not common  for this issue as on human figures it will cause issues in DAZ studio too and some DAZ studio users complain devil so the script may even benefit them yes

So, I think I'll consider that animals with hard code scale bones are a lost cause devil

Greetings @Philemo_Carrara

A good start would be to extract the high poly normal map using Inagoni Baker. It's usually enough for facets facing the camera. Not so good for those perpendicular to the camera.

Now, you can, for instance, use this Gimp plugin https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-normalmap/ to convert your normal map to height.

To get a differential height map, you can do the same process with the low poly object and use Carrara operators in your displacement shader ( high poly height map + value 0.5 - low poly height map)..

thanks for that didnt realise you could get a height map from normal map :) much obliged

edited April 2019

Headwax

you can use Xnormal too if no overlapping UV maps

https://xnormal.net/

For DAZ figures I just exported body parts with the same surfaces 

now I have UUW3D with repaint I create a new flat UV and do the texture transfer thing instead 

you could try texture atlas and map transfer in DAZ studio to do the same thing

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Brain eater

MAJourney said:

I know. I have some improvements to do in the PBR plugin to import them correctly. For instance, I saw while testing HD morph that import of the Uber Iray model was all wrong.

I will release a new version in a few weeks.

You're a HERO!

Brain eater

Quit it! Dont ya know people have sleep issues?surprise

Actually, was trying my zombies. lol

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250

Headwax

you can use Xnormal too if no overlapping UV maps

https://xnormal.net/

For DAZ figures I just exported body parts with the same surfaces 

now I have UUW3D with repaint I create a new flat UV and do the texture transfer thing instead 

you could try texture atlas and map transfer in DAZ studio to do the same thing

FYI, UUW3D = Ultimate Unwrap 3D

...and Wendy has the Pro version - which is still an amazing deal for great software

Hmmm... I may just get this

Just got stuck-in reading info on UUW3D. Quite the handy tool. Nice tutorials. Can even repaint texture maps from one source to another... neat!

Just got stuck-in reading info on UUW3D. Quite the handy tool. Nice tutorials. Can even repaint texture maps from one source to another... neat!

Yes was a bonus for me as I actually bought it before that was implemented for its extensive import/export options and the decimation both features I still use a lot.

edited May 2019

wow works on the dog 8 thanks

had to use the scaling script - thanks for that\

in studio I dialed up HD morph of 4 (1 is the standard) just for fun.

in Carrara had issue with eyebrows ?????? when I posed the dog I guess I should have hid them in studio  (edit: it was the eyelashes)

here are two images - top left dog no hd

bottom right dog no hd 

interestingly you can use the hd on other dog breeds - so french bulldog with benjiy hd morph

thanks again Philemeno :)

Doc4liquify.jpg
    1257 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on

and one really cool thing is you can apply the morph to the original daz puppy !! see one on the right - of course posing it gives minor explosion :)

Untitled-1.jpg
    2131 x 1373 - 737K

and one really cool thing is you can apply the morph to the original daz puppy !! see one on the right - of course posing it gives minor explosion :)

Now that’s interesting, I made a millennium dog Clone for Dog 8 when it was released,

(not a terribly good clone, I must work on a better one using Zprojection, I used Blender shrinkwrap)

I guess it approximates the nearest vertex, this could have other interesting uses like projecting other shapes onto figures say 3D scanned heads.

What would be interesting is if the plugin will work with different generations of figures, I assume depending on UV matching

yes , lots of stuff to play with - I just tried the dog hd on kid 4 - but the dog hd didnt appear in the morph list - lucky for the kid I guess :)

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175

Once the morph is applied, you can use the dials in the parameters tab, thus changing the character. All my tests show there is no explosion this way. In the other hand, the HD morph will keep the same size. If the difference in size is important, the result may be monstrous.

Once the morph is applied, you can use the dials in the parameters tab, thus changing the character. All my tests show there is no explosion this way. In the other hand, the HD morph will keep the same size. If the difference in size is important, the result may be monstrous.

Even though there are likely to be quirks with some things... it doesn't take away from the fact that this is an amazingly awesome plugin you've created! Bravo!!!

edited May 2019

the latest iteration of the plug in, no haz to worry about the uvs now?

the scaling thing. was extra work to separate the morph deltas and the scaling into 2 separate dsfs.

conceivably a pose preset should be able to set bones back to default scaling.  one pose to fix them all.
    there are cbr demo files in carrara to set scaling.  but don't see how to apply to all bones.  seems to only work on selected bone.
    would need to reset all axissesseez

this is the z stretch 200 text

brow { kind modi prvw 0 comm "" }modi { stre {  stre 2  MAJA 1296124506  fMin -2.5,-2.5,-2.5  fMax 2.5,2.5,2.5  isEx 1  } }

y stretch

brow { kind modi prvw 0 comm "" }modi { stre {  stre 2  MAJA 1296124505  fMin -2.5,-2.5,-2.5  fMax 2.5,2.5,2.5  isEx 1  } }

x stretch

brow { kind modi prvw 0 comm "" }modi { stre {  stre 2  MAJA 1296124504  fMin -2.5,-2.5,-2.5  fMax 2.5,2.5,2.5  isEx 1  } }

only thing changes is the last 2 digits of the MAJA line.

can a preset roll through all the parts of a heirarchy, like select hip, then do eveything under it?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Phil,

Wow on this plug-in. Cannot wait to try it. However I have again hit the snag. Being a less advanced Carrara user (like many who visit the forums) can you tell me exactly how to install the files for the HD plug-in? In my case I do not want to assume I know where to put it and then end up breaking Carrara. Does the folder go into Extensions, or Data? Also where does the Script file go? Thanks

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Okay I think I placed the files correctly by placing them into Daz 3d/Carrara8.5/Extensions. Still unsure about the script file. Not terribly advanced with DS either.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,910
    edited May 2019

Hello Rashad, Carrara8.5/Extensions is the right spot for the HDMorph plugin. Script for DAZ Studio goes in DAZ3D/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts folder

Locations 1.png
    1916 x 1031 - 256K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on