Starion's WIP and test thread

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I'm still having issues with my computer.  I'll try to reinstall Windows operating system or use another video card.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

I'm still having issues with my computer.  I'll try to reinstall Windows operating system or use another video card.

Be careful.  Sometimes there are problems with reinstalling too many times.  It looks suspicious to them, so they may block it or require some kind of contact or worse...upgrade fees.  Well, at least they would require you contact them and explain.  I had to contact them years ago when my friend was trying to fix a problem that required a reinstall.  They had to reset the number of installs allowed, there was some kind of database that recorded every time they were contacted for initializing it...something to do with the "Genuine Windows" program.

Dana

Thanks for the info.  I don't think Windows itself is the issue.  I'll reinstall the drivers for the video card and motherboard to see if the errors go away.  I like the current AMD video card because it has 2 GB of video memory.  The openGL preview window is fast in Daz Studio.  My Nvidia card only has 1 GB of VRAM.

edited December 2016

I was about to run some benchmarking programs when I noticed that the computer's usage is high. I think Windows Update or Windows Defender is using some CPU cycles. I should look at another resource monitor.

cpu.jpg
    562 x 425 - 62K
    Post edited by starionwolf on

Perhaps running a benchmarking program isn't a good idea.  I just saw a blue screen error.  I ordered a screw driver.  Now I am waiting for the screwdriver to arrive so that I can change the video card.

Perhaps running a benchmarking program isn't a good idea.  I just saw a blue screen error.  I ordered a screw driver.  Now I am waiting for the screwdriver to arrive so that I can change the video card.

After all these problems, I thought you meant you ordered the drink (Screwdriver).   laugh 

Dana

The screw driver arrived.  I did swap out the AMD Radeom card with the The NVIDIA Geforce 630.  I forgot how slow and old the Geforce 630 is.  Wow.  Maybe I should save money to buy a new budget NVIDIA 7xx video card.

Programs continue to crash.  Maybe there is something wrong with some system files (DLLs?) after all.

Gee, I hope you get it sorted out soon!

Dana

Thanks.  Maybe there is another program or service that is interfering with my games and web browser.  Bryce 3D seems to run o.k.  I should take a break and watch some tutorials on Bryce 3D on Youtube.

A small heatsink can't dissipate heat very well.  NVIDIA GeForce 630.

video card.jpg
    579 x 182 - 37K

I'm starting to wonder if some of my programs are just prone to random fatal errors.  surprise  The good news is I haven't seen any blue screen errors today.

One day at a time, eh?  :)

Dana

edited December 2016

I should save money to buy another RAM module to test my computer.  I did reinstall the chipset (I/O) drivers.  Here is a list of some of the errors that I saw during the past few months.

edit: Maybe I should try running the computer in safe mode.  Unfortunately, I cant do much sork in safe mode.

Blue screen errors.jpg
    640 x 480 - 128K

I hope my processor or motherboard aren't going bad.  Replacing either of the will be a pain.

faulty.jpg
    616 x 239 - 31K

Have you tried removing and then reseating the RAM modules?  One thing that happens is the shutting down and then restarting, getting hot...cooling off...getting hot...metal expands and contracts under these conditions, and that cause the modules to sometimes "walk" out of the slots.  Removing and reseating them sometimes solves problems.  Same goes for other cards like video, etc.

Dana

I did try to reseat the RAM module.  I should try putting it in the other slot again.  I finally found a blank CD.  Now I can run Memtest86.  I don't feel like opening the computer because I might have the flu.

Here are the results of Memtest86

memory errors.jpg
    640 x 417 - 129K

Nope, that's not good at all.  Sorry.  I hope you can get it fixed.

Dana

edited January 2017

My new RAM arrived.  I installed it this afternoon.  I would play with LuxRender but Windows Update is using the CPU now.  The temperature is 129 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am woefully ignorant of things like CPU temperature and such.  I trust my PC or Windows to let me know if it gets to be a problem.  Right now, I would cup my hands over it if it were that hot.  My hands are cold.   frown 

Dana

I should save money for a new hard drive.  My external USB drive might be going bad.  Diagnostic software indicates the possibility of bad sectors on this dive.  I don't want to take any chances.  Moving 300 GB worth of data from the current drive to the new drive will be interesting.

I should save money for a new hard drive.  My external USB drive might be going bad.  Diagnostic software indicates the possibility of bad sectors on this dive.  I don't want to take any chances.  Moving 300 GB worth of data from the current drive to the new drive will be interesting.

Is it USB 2 or USB 3?  If 3, it should be pretty fast...according to what I've read.

Dana

The hard drive uses USB 2.0.  The average read rate is 25 megabytes per second.

Useless trivia: I am using 500 GB out of 931 GB on that drive.

One gigabyte of video ram is not enough for Iray and Daz studio. lol.  A naked Genesis 1 and hair used up most of the VRAM.  I remember reading somewhere that Daz Staff recommends a video card withh 4 GB of VRAM.  I guess I'll use CPU rendering until I can buy a better video card from NVDIA.

edited April 2017

One gigabyte of video ram is not enough for Iray and Daz studio. lol.  A naked Genesis 1 and hair used up most of the VRAM.  I remember reading somewhere that Daz Staff recommends a video card withh 4 GB of VRAM.  I guess I'll use CPU rendering until I can buy a better video card from NVDIA.

You can mix the rendering, use both CPU and GPU.  I do that, when I get around to doing a render.  I have a Core2 Duo, cores running at 2.33GHz, with 8GB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce 9500 GT with, I think, 1GB of RAM.  I did this with that setup.  This is Baby Luna with the free Hivewire3D Sleeper for Baby Luna by Glitterti3D, with my Christmas texture for the sleeper.  I used Backdrops Made Easy from DAZ3D for the floor and wall.

Dana

Iray_ChristmasSleeper[1].jpg
    762 x 843 - 414K
    Post edited by DanaTA on

Ok, thanks for the info.  I think I have some I ray shaders in my content library somewhere.

Iray 04.jpg
    835 x 757 - 261K

You're welcome!  Glad if I could be of some help!

Dana

Maybe I should rename this thread to Starion's computer issues and troubleshooting thread.

Scanning the external hard drive for surface errors will take a long time.  I know, I should look for a replacement drive soon.

Western Digital Data LifeGuard.jpg
    634 x 475 - 111K
    edited April 2017

This post is to remind me to learn Bryce and Vue again.  I forgot how to make art in Bryce and Vue.  I don't think I even reinstalled either program after I reinstalled Windows 8 on this computer two years ago.