[Released] Look At Me Pose Control [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376
    nowefg said:

BTW, there should be an update in DIM since yesterday.  The update changes the configuration of the Look At Each Other dialog to put the options side by side (instead of vertically on top of each other).  This is friendlier to people with smaller screens.

Thank you for updating that. I am a small-screener, and the updated dialog makes a huge difference. Very helpful!

I am glad it helps smiley

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

First of all, this product is amazing! You really went above and beyond with the 'look at that' script.

Secondly, I've got a question. The pdf mentions "The Look at World Space Position of Target option controls where the character(s) look, either to the world space position of the node (which is often not the center) or to the center of the bounding box for the node."

Can you elaborate? I notice this checkbox can have a dramatic effect on where my characters look. What's your rule of thumb -- it's checked by default so I assume that's what you generally use in your promos but when would you ever uncheck it? Is there a way to 'see' the different positions in the viewport -- i.e,. if I switch from texture shaded to wireframe or bounding box, I'll be able to visually see the 'world space position'?

Thanks!!

edited June 2018
    Toonces said:

First of all, this product is amazing! You really went above and beyond with the 'look at that' script.

Secondly, I've got a question. The pdf mentions "The Look at World Space Position of Target option controls where the character(s) look, either to the world space position of the node (which is often not the center) or to the center of the bounding box for the node."

Can you elaborate? I notice this checkbox can have a dramatic effect on where my characters look. What's your rule of thumb -- it's checked by default so I assume that's what you generally use in your promos but when would you ever uncheck it? Is there a way to 'see' the different positions in the viewport -- i.e,. if I switch from texture shaded to wireframe or bounding box, I'll be able to visually see the 'world space position'?

Thanks!!

Thank you!  I am glad you like it.

You know when you select a figure and you have the universal tool selected....  Where that 3 arrow axis is, that is the world space position (with figures, it is by the feet).  BTW, it is checked by default because it is faster to calculate.  With the Live Preview, I wanted it to be as fast as possible.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Ohhh, well in that case I usually want to leave that unchecked for the final. Often the worldspace axis thingy is at the bottom of the object and I'd prefer looking at center. With something small like an eye bone, probably doesn't matter, but for bigger bounding boxes, it does.

Thanks for explanation!

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Is there a way to do an ADD-ON where the 'look at that' can be given more presets like look at Right/Left hands?

You pick the characters and the head on once turns to look at THE HAND(s) of the other.

Is there a way to do an ADD-ON where the 'look at that' can be given more presets like look at Right/Left hands?

You pick the characters and the head on once turns to look at THE HAND(s) of the other.

I have to admit that I don't see the point of that.  You can just select THE HAND you want to look at last.  It doesn't seem like it saves you any time.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    edited August 2018

Thanksf for the products. RiverSoftArt. Just FYI I passed over the Eye Clock one so many times because I just thought it was LIE eye decal thing. I didn't even read the text that goes with it. I do have the Look At Me now, I got it as soon as it came out. I use it all the time, but I had trouble with a character focusing too close as if the camera were only a couple of feet from his face. I don't know if it was a glitch but I reset it manually. 

Post edited by AbnerK on

Thanksf for the products. RiverSoftArt. Just FYI I passed over the Eye Clock one so many times because I just thought it was LIE eye decal thing. I didn't even read the text that goes with it. I do have the Look At Me now, I got it as soon as it came out. I use it all the time, but I had trouble with a character focusing too close as if the camera were only a couple of feet from his face. I don't know if it was a glitch but I reset it manually. 

You're welcome!  

If there are properties already affecting the eyes, Look At Me will not fix it.  It uses side-side and up-down.  Also, if it truly was close to the camera, I recommend turning off adjust eyes independently.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

The hand is usually buried in the drop down menus and only certain tools can select "The Hand" and it takes careful clicks to NOT select the entire figure or individual fingers or thumb.

AND it requires zooming in enough to make the hand prominent enough to see and select.

No, but I guess it's not that serious a request.

Now what would be great is if it had a threshold that reached the natural POSE limits and began to twist and turn MORE of the figure until a full 'facing' was reached. Like the shoulders began to twist, along with abdomen and such and then progressed until the figure turned in place. That would be something. lol

The hand is usually buried in the drop down menus and only certain tools can select "The Hand" and it takes careful clicks to NOT select the entire figure or individual fingers or thumb.

AND it requires zooming in enough to make the hand prominent enough to see and select.

What?

No, but I guess it's not that serious a request.

Now what would be great is if it had a threshold that reached the natural POSE limits and began to twist and turn MORE of the figure until a full 'facing' was reached. Like the shoulders began to twist, along with abdomen and such and then progressed until the figure turned in place. That would be something. lol

That would be something!  Someday I need to do that.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

OMG! I didn't either! Now it's in my wishlist. I feel so stupid. LOL

Laurie

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Take a look at mcasual's torsion spreader script.

You're welcome!  

If there are properties already affecting the eyes, Look At Me will not fix it.  It uses side-side and up-down.  Also, if it truly was close to the camera, I recommend turning off adjust eyes independently.

Sorry, thanks for the reply.  I was new to the forum and didn't have my preferences set. I still find the the script doesn't work that well when the camera doing a head shot, you really notice that the eyes are looking to left of the camera. I've tried resetting the eye pose, I don't really know what you mean by 'properties already affecting the eyes' what kind of 'properties' do you mean? I have resorted to just setting the eye's manually. From a distance you don't notice if the eyes are looking to one side of the camera but on a close up you want the eyes to be looking down the lense. Granted it's easy to do it manually on a close up and no so much on a full length, but, still it would be good if it worked well for head shots.

barbult said:

Take a look at mcasual's torsion spreader script.

Oh, that's a great script. I work hard to spread the torsion to make the pose more natural. I usually select all the bones I want, enter the number in the pose setting then, tweak each bone but this will be great. I'm rendering at the moment so can't test.

Thanks. 

•  

You're welcome!  

Sorry, thanks for the reply.  I was new to the forum and didn't have my preferences set. I still find the the script doesn't work that well when the camera doing a head shot, you really notice that the eyes are looking to left of the camera. I've tried resetting the eye pose, I don't really know what you mean by 'properties already affecting the eyes' what kind of 'properties' do you mean? I have resorted to just setting the eye's manually. From a distance you don't notice if the eyes are looking to one side of the camera but on a close up you want the eyes to be looking down the lense. Granted it's easy to do it manually on a close up and no so much on a full length, but, still it would be good if it worked well for head shots.

They are supposed to be looking directly at the middle of the screen but on closeups it does seem to look slightly to the side.  What I meant by the other properties on the eyes.  There are the Side-Side and Up-Down, but some poses can tweak the properties of the eyes (i.e., actually select the eye and go to Parameters pane) and screw up what they are doing.

edited September 2018

They are supposed to be looking directly at the middle of the screen but on closeups it does seem to look slightly to the side.  What I meant by the other properties on the eyes.  There are the Side-Side and Up-Down, but some poses can tweak the properties of the eyes (i.e., actually select the eye and go to Parameters pane) and screw up what they are doing.

Thanks for the fast reply. Ah right, I think I have come across that. As you say on long shots you don't notice, it's not the end of the world to have to tweak the eyes but, could you not make an update to make the figure look to the centre of the scene/camera? I don't know what that entails but it is kind of what a customer expects. 

Thanks

Post edited by AbnerK on

I wish there were a tool to adjust the position of a camera to look at a character's eyes. Often after I use Look at Me to make the eyes look at a camera, I want to add a second camera for a closer view. I want that camera positioned so that the eyes are also looking at it. I don't want to change the position of the eyes to look at the second camera, because then they no longer look at the first camera. I would have to save two separate scenes in that case, and I would prefer to have a single scene with the character looking at both cameras. Is there a way to do that?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    edited April 2019

What about adding the second camera to the scene with the same positioning as the first and then move it up closer? orjust use the perspective camera and move it to look at the eyes

Post edited by carrie58 on
    carrie58 said:

What about adding the second camera to the scene with the same positioning as the first and then move it up closer? orjust use the perspective camera and move it to look at the eyes

I haven't been able to position it 100% accurately by hand. If I check my position by running look at me again, I see the eyes move a little, telling me I wasn't quite in the right place.
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

hmmm when you load a new camera there is a drop down that lets you chose the active view port yada yada check that and create 2 cameras with the same viewpoint use camera 1 and run "look at Camera "script then switch to camera 2  and move it closer to look at the eyes

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

@ barbult

You can use the timeline the script will simply create a keyframe on the current position of the animation. For example on frame 0 have the character look at Camera 1 and on whatever next frame run the script again and let the character look at the Camera 2.

Also wouldn't it make sense to reset the Eyes Side-Side and Up-Down pose controls before the script does it's thing?

barbult said:
    carrie58 said:

I haven't been able to position it 100% accurately by hand. If I check my position by running look at me again, I see the eyes move a little, telling me I wasn't quite in the right place.

Look at me would move the eyes a little anyway.  The eyes are "focused" at the camera so if the camera moves closer/farther away, the eyes will be focused slightly differently.

edited April 2019

@ barbult

You can use the timeline the script will simply create a keyframe on the current position of the animation. For example on frame 0 have the character look at Camera 1 and on whatever next frame run the script again and let the character look at the Camera 2.

Also wouldn't it make sense to reset the Eyes Side-Side and Up-Down pose controls before the script does it's thing?

Oh, you are brilliant! Timeline keyframes is the perfect solution, I think. Thanks.
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    carrie58 said:

Look at me would move the eyes a little anyway.  The eyes are "focused" at the camera so if the camera moves closer/farther away, the eyes will be focused slightly differently.

OK, I guess that explains my struggle. Thanks for the explanation. I think Syrus_Dante has recommended a great solution for my situation.
    barbult said:
    barbult said:
    carrie58 said:

OK, I guess that explains my struggle. Thanks for the explanation. I think Syrus_Dante has recommended a great solution for my situation.

You're welcome.  I am glad @Syrus_Dante could help you.

I'm using DS 4.11.0.380 and I'm having problems with Look at That and Look at Camera. If I have something parented to one of the bones of G8F, neither of those tools will move the head or eyes at all. For example, I parented a butterfly to her index finger. I haven't tried DS 4.10 for comparison. I haven't tried the other tools in the product. I'm mentioning it here, in case it is a known thing, or I am doing something obviously wrong. Any ideas?

barbult said:

I'm using DS 4.11.0.380 and I'm having problems with Look at That and Look at Camera. If I have something parented to one of the bones of G8F, neither of those tools will move the head or eyes at all. For example, I parented a butterfly to her index finger. I haven't tried DS 4.10 for comparison. I haven't tried the other tools in the product. I'm mentioning it here, in case it is a known thing, or I am doing something obviously wrong. Any ideas?

I tried Look at That with DS 4.11.0.382 and 4.10.  No problems.  I don't think your problem is with the product.  Are the bones locked somehow?

edited June 2019
    barbult said:

I tried Look at That with DS 4.11.0.382 and 4.10.  No problems.  I don't think your problem is with the product.  Are the bones locked somehow?

No, the bones aren't locked. That was my first guess, too. I think it has to do with the parented object (the butterfly) having rEye and lEye bones. If I parent a simple cube primitive instead, Look at Camera works OK. After discovering this by trial and error today, a little light bulb went off in my head. I think I had this same or similar issue a long time ago when I parented a rat to a man's hand. I can't find the post about that now. Does this sound familiar to you?

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

No, the bones aren't locked. That was my first guess, too. I think it has to do with the parented object (the butterfly) having rEye and lEye bones. If I parent a simple cube primitive instead, Look at Camera works OK. After discovering this by trial and error today, a little light bulb went off in my head. I think I had this same or similar issue a long time ago when I parented a rat to a man's hand. I can't find the post about that now. Does this sound familiar to you?

That does make sense.  The script is probably finding the butterfly eye bones (and head?) and then getting confused.  You can always turn the butterfly into a prop and then it will work.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    edited June 2019

One problem I have with this script, and I have it when I point the eyes at the rendering camera is that the eyes are actually looking above the camera. It's not by much, but it's enough to annoy me (and something I've been fighting since Victoria 4). What I've done to address this is to parent a tiny, invisible cube just below the camera and pointg the eyes at that. I don't think the issue is with your script, but with where Studio thinks the camera is.

Otherwise the script does what it says it will do.

Post edited by rrward on