Carrara Non Photo Realistic Works

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,106

Hello Silene, scene layout is fabulous.

Don't have any citicisms or ideas yet, will have another look later and get back to you if I do.

If you are looking at publishing/self-publishing your story, hopefully Headwax will chime in with some good advice !

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,939

wow Silene that's really superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the lighting and effects.

my only c an c would be the weird forms that daz characters make usually around the biceps and shoulders - tha's not your faulyt just the figures - you can fix it up with the liquify tool in something like affinity photo - also helps to mess up textures in clothes so they arent too uniform,

i'll post an example when I can 

great scenes bunyipo2 and stezza as always!!

edited May 2019

heres an eg of the liquify tool bottom dog is origonal render - i have bent the line of his back and little to make it more dynamic and ? realistic? and changed his head angle with the tool - so the idea is that you can change the silhouettes of your figures to simulat muscle bulges or droopy shoulders

etc

with the pirate I have added character to him and more facial expression

scrap.jpg
    2000 x 1607 - 997K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1126 x 1502 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited May 2019

heres an eg of the liquify tool bottom dog is origonal render - i have bent the line of his back and little to make it more dynamic and ? realistic? and changed his head angle with the tool - so the idea is that you can change the silhouettes of your figures to simulat muscle bulges or droopy shoulders

etc

Thans, Bunyip! I am finally getting a bit excited that I can actually get the characters to look how I want... getting there step by step. This was an evening scene and was harder to work with than a full daylight one where I get better effects.  I am fading/fogging/misting the edges now as when put to page, it will have to be further blended to a soft fade at the edges.  It's not a graphic or comic strip layout. Usually an illustration will be at the beginning, middle and towards end of a chapter. These are young readers, from age 7 perhaps.  Do you think these kids look about 10-11 years old?  That's the oldest I want them to be for this project. At the end of the 'story' will be more factual illustrations of artefacts, etc.  I have some professional help available for publication, but this first project is for a specific organisation and they will be printing it for their use. If it does well... then my friend in the business has said he and his wife (also in the biz) will help me to reach a wider audience and she is also an archaeologist (but for a different time period). But I will not count on that... all advice welcomed!!

Andrew... by liquify, is that the same as using the Smudge PS tool (on strong setting, not as a smear)?  I use that combined with the Clone tool to get rid of poke through, etc.  I did not think to try and use it to enhance character features, etc.  Yes, the girl does look like she's been to the gym with her left shoulder.  I do my own posing with the rotation tool vs pre-posed positions, although I do try to follow some. I found an interesting article a while ago on centre of gravity and axis for posing to avoid contortion looks. But they are wearing knit jumpers and trousers (school uniform) and I think you are right... the texture could be better. Especially as DAP created a moir pattern on the trousers for some reason. That needs sorting as they will be in their uniforms quite often, so thanks for pointing that out.

Granddaughter day... so will have to wait till tonight to get back with my characters.

Misty, I still am calling them Jan and Jon at the moment, though I have others in mind. But I might even stick with those names! They are a joy to work with... thank you thank you thank you!

yes  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Silene, that's awesome! yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099
    edited May 2019

I am so behind in this thread.  Can't commen on all,

but Wow, Silene. That is Awesome!

Post edited by Diomede on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Adorable cat, Dave! What filter did you use?

Vyusur said:

thanks Veronika,

I used Akvis sketch for part of that finish in PSE2018 then used layers for extra blends smiley

Your render is better than the movie version !!! - https://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en-au/

hehe.. thanks @Bunyip02_Carrara wink

here is the render before postwork

Dave, thank you for the response! I alredy have Akvis Neon and I like it a lot. I've just download trial version of Akvis Sketch to compare them. Now I like it too, thinking of purchasing it.

Leon Hair G8M main promo 01.png
    1000 x 1300 - 4M
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Silene, very nice illustrations!

sorry Silene, not sure about Phboto Shop :(

edited May 2019

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,931
    edited May 2019
    Vyusur said:

Vyusur said:

thanks Veronika,

I used Akvis sketch for part of that finish in PSE2018 then used layers for extra blends smiley

Your render is better than the movie version !!! - https://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/en-au/

Dave, thank you for the response! I alredy have Akvis Neon and I like it a lot. I've just download trial version of Akvis Sketch to compare them. Now I like it too, thinking of purchasing it.

yep, glad to help

Sketch is one of my favourites yes

etc

Thans, Bunyip! I am finally getting a bit excited that I can actually get the characters to look how I want... getting there step by step. This was an evening scene and was harder to work with than a full daylight one where I get better effects.  I am fading/fogging/misting the edges now as when put to page, it will have to be further blended to a soft fade at the edges.  It's not a graphic or comic strip layout. Usually an illustration will be at the beginning, middle and towards end of a chapter. These are young readers, from age 7 perhaps.  Do you think these kids look about 10-11 years old?  That's the oldest I want them to be for this project. At the end of the 'story' will be more factual illustrations of artefacts, etc.  I have some professional help available for publication, but this first project is for a specific organisation and they will be printing it for their use. If it does well... then my friend in the business has said he and his wife (also in the biz) will help me to reach a wider audience and she is also an archaeologist (but for a different time period). But I will not count on that... all advice welcomed!!

Andrew... by liquify, is that the same as using the Smudge PS tool (on strong setting, not as a smear)?  I use that combined with the Clone tool to get rid of poke through, etc.  I did not think to try and use it to enhance character features, etc.  Yes, the girl does look like she's been to the gym with her left shoulder.  I do my own posing with the rotation tool vs pre-posed positions, although I do try to follow some. I found an interesting article a while ago on centre of gravity and axis for posing to avoid contortion looks. But they are wearing knit jumpers and trousers (school uniform) and I think you are right... the texture could be better. Especially as DAP created a moir pattern on the trousers for some reason. That needs sorting as they will be in their uniforms quite often, so thanks for pointing that out.

Granddaughter day... so will have to wait till tonight to get back with my characters.

Misty, I still am calling them Jan and Jon at the moment, though I have others in mind. But I might even stick with those names! They are a joy to work with... thank you thank you thank you!

yes  Silene

it can be similar but not quite the same as smudge..

that's one tool that Affinity Photo has that is better than PSE2018 distort tool... it can be very handy.

Doing a great job Silene, keep at it. wink

Post edited by Stezza on

Ahar me hearties - does the monkey talk like a pirate too? Nice render btw

https://www.talklikeapirateday.com.au/

Thank you everyone... making my day!!!   heartheartheart

I work at a snail's pace... it aways amazes me how quickly you core or expert modellers turn out the most interesting projects and invent tools, techniques and characters.  That's why I don't jump in on contests/challenges, it would be such a fun distraction that nothing would get one on the big project. But I do read them all to learn the techniques! enlightened Sigh..... indecision  Still, you do it for Carrarians and that's what is so great about this forum. Carrara is more than alive and well! yeslaugh

I wonder... maybe try using the Warp tool in Edit to distort something.  I'd have to make the character or item a solo in a render pass. Then select the area I want to play with, eg the face, so I get the smallest warp grid possible, then could get a more dramatic effect.  Smudge works well if you don't have a transparent background, though.  Warping a selected area would leave a 'hole' if I shrink-warped it.. stretch warping might be OK as it will go over the background.  Must have a go.

Granddaughter again today... but it's raining so we will be in this afternoon. Might have to be a grampa day so gramma can work on her people! wink

Thank you all again so very much!  Will keep on keeping on!

heartkiss  Silene

edited May 2019

Bot mechs

Bots 1 PhotoDonut 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited May 2019

Variation on a space opera theme.

Space Opera BW NPR.jpg
    1148 x 1600 - 744K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    Selinita said:

Love the clean steel grey sketch quality and poses. Great work!

Thanks.  It is primarily a composite of the Fragment Coverage Pass (lines), Shadow Pass (shading), and Volumetric Pass (hair).  A touch of the main render was used to give a hint of color.

Ted, this is a beautiful and stylish sci-fi illustration.

Thank you, Veronika. 

Thank you, Veronika. 

WOW... love the clean lines! yes SIlene

Thank you Silene. 

Very nice !!

Bot mechs

superbula - has that feel of them being toys for some reason - bots in toyland - thanks for commenting on my pirates too - very kind of you !

really nice work ted, lovely composition - you know tradional crucifixion scene with an inverted vee - line work is terrific too - touch of colour adds a traditional feel

Vyusur said:

Vyusur said:

thanks Veronika,

classic character and pose stezza 

time for a new board - here is a detail of a segment of the imagery that will go on the bottom

time for a new board - here is a detail of a segment of the imagery that will go on the bottom

Are all of those eyes needed to look for sharks & rocks ?

ha ha yes, I put teeth on my last one and it used to freak me out - i surf by myself on deserted beaches mostly - so eyes are handy :)

kind of picked up a theme and ran with it

edited May 2019

ha ha yes, I put teeth on my last one and it used to freak me out - i surf by myself on deserted beaches mostly - so eyes are handy :)

kind of picked up a theme and ran with it

Ever been chased by anything with eyes and teeth? surprise  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,279

Wow. What a treasure trove of amazing paintings! I LOVE this!!! heart

This discussion has been closed.