Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Vyusur said:

I can suggest you to watch my video on head modeling. This is Blender modeling, but concepts of modeling are the same in different programs. Hope it's helpful.

Thanks Vyusur, I am always looking for different approaches and your tutorial looks helpful. I'll give it a shot.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2017

Really great stuff, wgdjohn, desertdude, and vyusur.  I am so grateful for this thread, wgdjohn.  Glad you are always adding to it.  I copied vyusur's video on modeling the female head to my project thread.  Moxie thanks you, vyusur.  Desertude, I have the kindle version of that same modeling book.  What a great resource!  We used to have a thread dedicated to reference works.  I want to add all of vyusur's posts to it - but I'm pretty sure it has more of Vaughan's references as well.

Post edited by Diomede on

I think this has been posted before, but vyusur's cool video guide inspired me to look this up again for a repost.  Worth a look.

edited January 2017

OK, so I have not been starting with a box or a single polygon to model a head or face.  I've been starting with ovals, which I then join and align to a reference photo.

What I mean is that some of the face edge-flow guides ultimately result in a ring of 11 polygons around each eye and a ring of 16 polygons around the mouth.  Other major edge flows have other numbers.  So, I just load the reference photo and then construct an oval that yields the appropriate number of polygons for each major edge flow group.  EDIT:  I shift extrude each oval once to get a ring of polygons.  I join the ovals and align them with the reference photo.  I've attached a screengrab with an 11 polygon ring around one eye and a 16 polygon ring around the mouth. 

Am I cruising for a bruising?  Are there major pitfalls that I have not considered?

yy01 start modeling.JPG
    1563 x 1001 - 201K
    edited January 2017

And here are some of the ovals that I start with, although this head was a different reference photo.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Applause... Applause!  For DesertDude and Vyusur.

diomede said:

OK, so I have not been starting with a box or a single polygon to model a head or face.  I've been starting with ovals, which I then join and align to a reference photo.

What I mean is that some of the face edge-flow guides ultimately result in a ring of 11 polygons around each eye and a ring of 16 polygons around the mouth.  Other major edge flows have other numbers.  So, I just load the reference photo and then construct an oval that yields the appropriate number of polygons for each major edge flow group.  EDIT:  I shift extrude each oval once to get a ring of polygons.  I join the ovals and align them with the reference photo.  I've attached a screengrab with an 11 polygon ring around one eye and a 16 polygon ring around the mouth. 

Am I cruising for a bruising?  Are there major pitfalls that I have not considered?

I'm not experienced enough to know if there are any pitfalls, but it sure sounds smart and probably saves time. Plus you are getting great results. smiley Thanks for the insights on your approach.

I think starting with a simple polygon and extruding poly by poly just forces one to slow down and carefully place them? It's neither wrong nor right, just another technique to fit whatever your needs are when modeling...

diomede said:

I think this has been posted before, but vyusur's cool video guide inspired me to look this up again for a repost.  Worth a look.

Thanks for posting the link, another cool reference to check out!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Excellent work, Diomede! Congratulations!

Grateful to diomede for posting that technique.  To see more of diomede's work check out My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures.  I did watch a box modeling tutorial for Silo which should apply to any modeler... can't find it at the moment but will post when I stumble across it again... might just be on YouTube.

Notice to All:  Silo is on sale at $50 off right now... check out Nevercenter.

Question for Anyone: Know anywhere I can get reference for front and side view of human face and body?

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

John, you can get many reference images on 3d.sk, but not for free. Subscription is mandatory.

Thanks... got it bookmarked.  They do have some Free stuff that you can download but wasn't able to quickly find even front and side views of head let alone full body.  I suspect even they require one to subscribe anyway... no big deal.  Since they are just for reference I may try screen grabbing images and enlarging them.

Thought of two other alternatives.

•  Have Niece and Nephew pose in swimwear... or anyone else who is willing.
    •  Just use renders of other 3D characters since they are for reference only and not being coped.
    edited January 2017

John's Crazy Objects:  New Critter WIP2  More changes.

Tonight was dedicated to reshaping and leg design. The leg design was a bust or nearly so... I went about it all wrong so have learned what not to do. First step was to create a bit more geometry so I set smoothing to 1 and and chose "Convert" which multiplied each polyX4.  With more geometry reshaping was a lot easier and tinier adjustments can be made.

On to the legs... thinking that dynamic extrusion along with symmetry might be what I wanted that is what was tried... apparently more practice is needed for what was intended.  Earlier I'd grabbed a pic of an ant which this will be similar to... problem was I was trying to make it too accurate and detailed. after extruding the short leg beginnings you see below a combination of Softselect, Symmetry, Move and Rotate was tried with some luck but were taking entirely too long... yes mistakes were made... how'd you know?

Next try for the legs is to make them more simple to start with... think I'll delete the short ones and copy the poly which they sprout from to use as a start template and then just dray a polyline to trace it onto. If that don't work I'll just make a straight dynamic extrusion and use the Deformer/Bend tool... yes I know the Bend will just create much simpler legs but I'm not going for accuracy. Of course the Polyline trace method will work much better... even the bends at joints can be added with it... cool glad we had this talk. :)

Tips:  Symmetry and naming polygons etc.

• With Symmetry on and selecting polygons then naming them only the actual selected polygons will be named. The ones that Symmetry has selected are only virtual so will not be named... they must be manually selected.  Unless of course I'm overlooking something which isn't unusual.
    • Ever notice that when Rotate is selected that all the directional controls are not viable?  In Director's Camera view try rotating the display a tiny bit or more and they will all appear. I just found that helped last night so am not sure it will work every time. I've been struggling with greyed out rotate rings for months now, at least.  I can understand all controls not being useable when in Top, Bottom or other views.
    Critter_12.png
    640 x 480 - 34K
    Critter_12_VMview.png
    1280 x 800 - 301K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited January 2017

Work in Progress

40' Shipping Container 

Modeling is mostly complete - I need to clean up a few sections.  Then on to UV Mapping and texturing.

ContainerWIP.jpg
    600 x 600 - 131K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

Looks great TJ

John's Crazy Objects:  New Critter WIP3  More changes.

Finally have 2 legs which need a bit of tweaking to make beefier in right places. Already have templates for the mid and front legs... each pair will be a bit different than others. Then on to a few final pieces... ohh and eyes too of course.

One mishap today... the Symmetry plane first quit working then it dissapeared... no where to be found.  That happened once before... I've shut down Carrara and hopefully it will be back when I go to use it again.

Critter_15.png
    640 x 480 - 182K

+1

wgdjohn said:

Looks great TJ

Critter is looking good.  Very mysterious about the symmetry plane.  One thing to check is if you have multiple meshes in the same object.  They each have their own symmetry indicator.  So, if you have symmetry turned on for the body, but not the leg, you might think symmetry stopped working when in fact you have selected a polygon of a mesh that does not have symmetry turned on.  Just a suggestion.

wgdjohn said:

Finally have 2 legs which need a bit of tweaking to make beefier in right places. Already have templates for the mid and front legs... each pair will be a bit different than others. Then on to a few final pieces... ohh and eyes too of course.

One mishap today... the Symmetry plane first quit working then it dissapeared... no where to be found.  That happened once before... I've shut down Carrara and hopefully it will be back when I go to use it again.

• Quick model of generic revolver (made in Silo).

No restriction on the file whatsoever ...

Available on my GoogleDrive (see my signature) smiley

Revolver.jpg
    1344 x 756 - 437K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Very nice looking model!

edited January 2017

Very generous, FifthElement.  Thank you.  Great model.  Do you generally do your uvmapping in Silo?  Or, do you use a dedicated uvmapping program?  Or something else?

• diomede said:

Very generous, FifthElement.  Thank you.  Great model.  Do you generally do your uvmapping in Silo?  Or, do you use a dedicated uvmapping program?  Or something else?

No problem sir, I usually UV map in Silo unless is something rather tough to do in Silo, then I use Blender, Blender is the most advanced free UV mapping tool available smiley

Thanks diomede... I've designed it as one entire polymesh... checked today and there are no other meshes.  A few things that might have caused it are...

• I dissolved a loop for the neck but did weld the points left behind to other loop's points...
    • I started messing with moving, scaling and rotating but then thought I'd better get the main design done and later adjust them.
    • Set smoothing to 1 and coverted
    • Many times I moved the object with Move tool... especially in Left, Right etc views... in order to zoom in and work on it.
    • Director's camera I likely moved etc, obj with symmetry off.
    • In Assemble room, can't remember when, I turned off "lock hot point" and set it to 0.  Just looked and did turn it back on.  So today tried same thing setting hot point xyz and object xyz to 0.  Still no luck.

At present Symmetry is entirely broken.  X is close but offset from center of object... Y is in front of object... and Z is way up at the top of the batting cage.  Just tried to move the object with Y symmetry on and in front of object... it was as if it hit a brick wall and polys got strected... colliding with other polys of object.

diomede said:
    Critter is looking good.  Very mysterious about the symmetry plane.  One thing to check is if you have multiple meshes in the same object.  They each have their own symmetry indicator.  So, if you have symmetry turned on for the body, but not the leg, you might think symmetry stopped working when in fact you have selected a polygon of a mesh that does not have symmetry turned on.  Just a suggestion.

wgdjohn said:

FifthElement,  Great looking revolver... thanks very much!

wgdjohn said:

At present Symmetry is entirely broken.  X is close but offset from center of object... Y is in front of object... and Z is way up at the top of the batting cage.  Just tried to move the object with Y symmetry on and in front of object... it was as if it hit a brick wall and polys got strected... colliding with other polys of object.

wgdjohn, I recently discovered the command Model>Center Symmetry Plane On Selection. I don't know if it will work to restore symmetry, but might be worth a try.

edited January 2017

Fantastic... Thanks DesertDude!  Sad thing is I've seen that before but forgotten about it since I never needed it before... Doh!

Symmetry Plane Problem Solved!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2017

I might be just guessing here, but I seem to remember that the mesh needs to be symmetric if symmetry is to work - not almost symmetric, that won't work. So it is possible that the edits that you have performed have broken the symmetry.  It may be possible to restore by deleting half of your model and then applying Duplicate with Symmetry again.

Edit - looks like you fixed it while I was writing that!

Post edited by PhilW on

Glad it worked!

PhilW said:

I might be just guessing here, but I seem to remember that the mesh needs to be symmetric if symmetry is to work - not almost symmetric, that won't work. So it is possible that the edits that you have performed have broken the symmetry.  It may be possible to restore by deleting half of your model and then applying Duplicate with Symmetry again.

Edit - looks like you fixed it while I was writing that!

Only thought it was fixed since I got the symmetry plane back. Just tried it out and now know why it was messed up... I broke it... I'd made too many edits before discovering it would'nt work.  Since I've made even more edits... I'd try Duplicate with Symmetry but am nearly done. Next time I'll hopefully know better.  Thanks for pointing out to keep it symmetric.

Agh! Too bad...yeah what Phil said. If my model is symmetrical I usually model only half and duplicate mainly because of exactly the problem you encountered. If one vertex gets out of whack symmetry can break...sometimes without noticing for a while and it's near impossible to get back. Phil's advice is great, delete half and duplicate.

• FInal version of my shipping container.  It served its purpose well as an educational exercise, in modeling, mapping, and texturing.    

I learned a lot behind the scenes of what *not* to do next time.  laugh

It was kind of weird, bouncing between obsessing over trying to perfectly replicate a real world model (down to looking at schematics with precise measurements) and an attitude of "Meh, that looks OK...."  

I'd like to find a middle ground.  It would be a lot easier.......

Looks great.  Bravo.  Nice texturing.  Add some picnic tables, food trucks, and a stage, and you'd have a nice 3D environment for the DC Navy Yard Fairgounds, which is a festival area surrounded by shipping containers instead of a fence.   yes

halfstreet7.jpg
    660 x 416 - 86K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have a quick question on the extrude button.  I keep seeing videos where they just click and another section pops into being.  But no where does it say how they are making that happen?  I can't figure it out, everytime I try to add another section, I just end up stretching things out or moving polygons instead of adding.  I hope that makes more sense than it sounds to me lol.

for instance - if I make a cylinder and I want to add sections how does one just click and it does it?