Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

CMD-D on Mac is same as Ctrl+D on Windoze.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

Another way to make a lot off round shapes on a plane .....

Untitled-2.jpg
    1055 x 800 - 553K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Varsel, I meant very certain shape without any smoothing iterations. Like on the screenshot.

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 4.29.26 PM.png
    907 x 656 - 76K

Ah.. I see what you mean.

For that kind of shapes I would create one, by using a cylinder and then some moving off vertexes and edges. Then duplicate and positioning ... and so....

But, I do make a lot off use off the smoothing and sharp edges in Carrara vertex modeler. When I have the initial shape of the object, with smoothing, I then convert the smoothing, and then I have a lot more polygons to continue modeling with.

Thank you, Varsel, I've got your method. I also use smoothing, but this kind of simple roundish shape is kind of magical shape in any 3d modeler. It opens the door to making holes and buttons, and many other things. For example, as it's shown in my video, at 1:02.

https://youtu.be/C8JLTnGpY_k

Just CMD-D duplicate. smiley Five times (for example) makes a row. Duplicate the row 5 times makes a square

Am I overlooking something... When I use duplicate the dupe is in the same exact position as the original. How do they make up a row other than manually moving each dupe?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Ctrl-D (or CMD-D) works slightly differently in the Assemble Room and in the Vertex Editor.  The first time you use it in either, yes the duplicate is in the same position. If you then move/rotate/scale it to where you want in the Assemble Room, and then use it again, it will repeat the offsets that you gave it the first time. So if you have a cube, duplicate and move it so that the new cube is joining the first one, and then repeatedly press it, it will create a line of cubes.  And it is very memory efficient as each new cube references the original mesh.

In the Vertex Modeller, after you first duplicate, you have to manually move the duplicate to where you want it, and it has created more polys in your mesh. And repeated use of it does not repeat any move/rotate/scale operations, so you have to move it manually each time.

edited March 2017

Varsel,  Thanks to your ideas, and what Vyusur wants, I came up with a 3rd way which is quite fast.  Why Grid is under 3D is beyond me... it's actually a 2D object... unless I'm missing something. 

Vyusur,  I used Grid found under Construct/Insert 3D menu since there is more control, IMO. See pic below... at the left is the single one I Tesselated twice, in this order, Vertex to Center then Mid Edge to Center.  At the right I did the same exact thing to the Grid... no replication or welding needed. :)

BTW:  There is one downside to either method... the circle polylines are not loopable, all others are.  The only thing I know to do is tediously select the polys in each circle and then name them so they can all be selected at once.  If anyone knows a quicker method I'd sure like to know it.

I'll never tire of watching Vyusur's Chair modeling video.

[edit - corrected for spelling, wording and correctness]

3DGrid.png
    1600 x 900 - 179K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Great, John! At last you found the way that is shown in my video (see the link above).

Now you are to look for the method to create the same shape in Silo.
    PS: the first thing that I do exploring the new soft is trying to get circle in the square, then many circles in grid. When I'm done, I feel more comfortable with this soft.

wgdjohn : I didn't know about this. This can be handy, later on. When I watched Vyusur video, I couldn't figure out how it was done. 

I tried this metode in Hexagon (since I do most of my complex models there), and it works, with one exeption. The last tesselation has to be done with smoothing/convert. The tesselation tool in Hexagon can sometimes be a bit "strange".

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Nice video Vyusur  :)

One point with Carrara,. in the assembly room,. the scale is a false scale, (it doesn't change the original model). you need to either jump into the Vertex modeller,. or you can Model in the assembly room , using the little Wrench / Spanner tool,. on the top Left,. next to the simulate physics tool, and 3D Paint tool.

personally i prefer using the square extrusion (like Varsel) if you're going to add smoothing anyway,. one level of smooth, should turn a square into an eight sided circle, and if you convert that smoothing to real mesh,. you end up with almost the same geometry. .. almost :)

You can copy/paste parts from one vertex model,. into a new vertex model,. or another model,.

You can also use the EDIT / "Split object" command, to split an object by mesh names, or shading domains.

Anyway,. Nice Model and tut

Hope it helps :)

Thank you, 3DAGE. Usually I model in Assemble room when modeling garment right on figure, but for other props or architectural features I prefer Vertex modeling room.

What about smoothing: this method gives another result and requires extra actions.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 6.30.45 PM.png
    1183 x 965 - 195K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 6.31.09 PM.png
    1132 x 1055 - 303K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 6.31.40 PM.png
    1090 x 945 - 160K
  • Here is some modeling tips I learned long time ago:

http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/docs/mod_notes.html

Hope someone finds them useful smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2017

Thanks!  Bookmarked.  Added to my tutorials list that I plan to finish by the end of January.

Here is some modeling tips I learned long time ago:

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited January 2017

This guy is original figure which I modeled from scratch. The figure is rigged and compatible with some stuff from library. Carrara native render.

Ballet01.jpg
    1000 x 1216 - 311K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 5.11.56 PM.png
    1675 x 1064 - 376K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.57.39 PM.png
    1459 x 1074 - 668K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Excellent, Vyusur.  Not just the mesh, but the posing to give character and life. 

Thank you so much, Diomede!

Thanks, FifthElement, nice references!

Vyusur - great modelling, looks way more than 4500 polys, and the posing and rendering look top notch too!

Thank you very much, Phil, for kind words. After your comment I went to check the polys count: is 4674.

Vyusur said:

Thank you very much, Phil, for kind words. After your comment I went to check the polys count: is 4674.

I was rounding... You can see the poly count in your screenshot.

PhilW said:
    Vyusur said:

I was rounding... You can see the poly count in your screenshot.

Wow! I didn't notice!

edited January 2017
    Vyusur said:

Thank you, 3DAGE. Usually I model in Assemble room when modeling garment right on figure, but for other props or architectural features I prefer Vertex modeling room.

What about smoothing: this method gives another result and requires extra actions.

I tried, apparently not hard enough, and came up with the same.  So I took a different appoach from my grid idea.  First try was ok but not good enough... finally figured it out.  Just wern't round enough but by the 5th pic I think it looks good.... whew.  The key was to crease the outer grid edges and all the circle edges.  Might work with 3DAGE's suggestion and your example also... I'll have to give that another try sometime... I've become fond of working with squares/rectangles. :)

CreasedOutterLines.png
    1280 x 800 - 167K
    CreasedOutterLines_smoothAt3.png
    1280 x 800 - 167K
    CreasedSmoothed_CirclesSelected.png
    1280 x 800 - 212K
    CreasedMixedSmoothing.png
    1280 x 800 - 212K
    CreaseBoth_Singlex2.png
    1280 x 800 - 168K
    CreasedCirclesSelected.png
    1280 x 800 - 212K
    CreasedMixedSelected2.png
    1280 x 800 - 279K

John, I think the method of two different kinds of tessellation is the best. You can use it, for example, for a circle window creation or for a base of glass dome in some square roof, without any smoothing or, if you want, with some smoothing on the very last stage of creation.

edited February 2017

Yes... I was thinking about trying out some Deformers on it... esplecially Bulge for a domed window or mirror.

edited March 2017

John's Crazy Objects:  New Critter WIP  This is my first start.

I dropped in a square and have extruded it for each body section.  Afterwards I turned smoothing on to see how it would look. Not too bad... now for some detail...got to give it some legs and other parts yet. Pay no attention to the squares, they are 1 foot square and only used for reference so I wouldn't get carried away... at 4 ft it is still quite tall so I'll be scaling it in the modeler when it's nearly done... probably 1 or 2 feet... I'll be replicating it and want a lot of them.  Presently it's 142 polys which will likely more than double when I'm finished.

Tips and a Warning:  I discovered both while designing the Critter.

•  2 or more different polymeshs can exist in an object and smoothing can be added for one and not another.
    •  When working with Soft Select it can be on for moving but needs to also be selected for scaling. Once selected for both it should remain on for both.  I image this would apply to rotating but did not try.

Modeling is Funnnn!

Critter_10.png
    640 x 480 - 13K
    Critter_10_inModeler.png
    1280 x 800 - 162K

Here I explored a little bit of Silo with sword modeling.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 5.43.53 PM.png
    1715 x 1005 - 297K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 5.45.36 PM.png
    1703 x 861 - 264K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 5.35.18 PM.png
    1438 x 991 - 150K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited January 2017

Thanks from me as well, that looks very helpful!

Vyusur said:

This guy is original figure which I modeled from scratch. The figure is rigged and compatible with some stuff from library. Carrara native render.

Vyusur, your figure looks great!

Here is my most recent attempt at modeling a head in Carrara...not really happy with it. He's kind of lumpy in all the wrong places and his mouth is a disaster...looks really "pouty" and sad. sad
    Santa brought me a nice book for Christmas "Digital Modeling" by William Vaughan, which is a software agnostic book on modeling, so I followed the head tutorial as best I could in Carrara.

I found out at the end that there is a command to center the symetry plane on the selection (Model>Center Symetry Plane On Selection). I was only modeling half the face then duplicating so he ended up with a weird seam.

Hopefully the next one will improve.

mojmir_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    mojmir_2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    modeling_001.jpg
    1382 x 1030 - 103K
    modeling_002.jpg
    1407 x 545 - 147K
    modeling_003.jpg
    1268 x 545 - 103K
    modeling_004.jpg
    1177 x 540 - 165K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

Thanks from me as well, that looks very helpful!

Vyusur said:

Vyusur, your figure looks great!

Here is my most recent attempt at modeling a head in Carrara...not really happy with it. He's kind of lumpy in all the wrong places and his mouth is a disaster...looks really "pouty" and sad. sad
    Santa brought me a nice book for Christmas "Digital Modeling" by William Vaughan, which is a software agnostic book on modeling, so I followed the head tutorial as best I could in Carrara.

I found out at the end that there is a command to center the symetry plane on the selection (Model>Center Symetry Plane On Selection). I was only modeling half the face then duplicating so he ended up with a weird seam.

Hopefully the next one will improve.

I can suggest you to watch my video on head modeling. This is Blender modeling, but concepts of modeling are the same in different programs. Hope it's helpful.