4.9 crashes randomly

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,225

The timing seems to coincide with the Web folks moving Daz servers from one provider to another; which makes sense considering that libeay32 is part of OpenSSL (i.e., https) and there has been no update of the application that coincides. One thing users can try is flushing the DNS cache.

-----

Windows: ipconfig /flushdns

-----

OS X: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202516

• Mike HuntMike Hunt Posts: 71

One thing users can try is flushing the DNS cache. 

Thanks Chris, how would I do that?

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112

The timing seems to coincide with the Web folks moving Daz servers from one provider to another; which makes sense considering that libeay32 is part of OpenSSL (i.e., https) and there has been no update of the application that coincides. One thing users can try is flushing the DNS cache.

-----

Windows: ipconfig /flushdns

-----

OS X: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202516

Hi, open a Command prompt as Administrator (Click on Windows Icon in TaskBar, Type cmd in Search Bar, right click the Cmd.exe, select run as Administrator) Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.  This will flush the dns automatically.

Hope this helps...

• borgtrekkerborgtrekker Posts: 112
    Mike Hunt said:

Sorry Mike, clicked on the wrong quote - see my previous post for the answer to this.

• agiertzagiertz Posts: 5

Hey, I tried running daz studio with the wireless turned off, and it worked fine. a temporary solution, but it will have to do until someone gets around to fixing this atrocious bug.

edited April 2016

I flushed my DNS cache correctly, confirmed. This did no good whatsoever. Another immediate crash with the same error message:DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:00000000480B9554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

Agiertz, you found relief by turnng off you wireless. But have you been getting the specific "LIBEAY32.dll error" in your crash report or is your random crash problem unrelated? BTW I can't shut down my wireless here anyway, I use Daz at work, we have all kinds of wireless equipment here; printers, scanners, phones etc. but thanks anyway.

Mod edit

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Add another to the list of crashes. I sent in a work ticket on it 2 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. Tried the flushdns and still crashing.

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081
    Mike Hunt said:

NO! Do NOT flush the cache. I was given that advice in a trouble ticket that I opened. Did that and not only does it continue to crash but $2K worth of stuff that I purchased is now unaccessable. I'm worse off now that I was before. At least before I could create new scenes -- I just couldn't load previous ones. Now I don't have any of the stuff that I purchased.

• RanzzleeRanzzlee Posts: 41

I'm running DAZ3D 4.9 on my desktop which is operating on Windows 7 and I haven't run into this problem. I also have Daz installed on my laptop running Winwows 10 and it keeps crashing. I'm going to try renaming the libeay.dll like mjc1016 suggested and see if that works.

Mike Hunt said:

Thank you Ranzzlee, please let me know if it works. Also, if you have time, could you explain how it is done? I have no idea where to find the file.

Sorry Mike Hunt the changes mjc1016 suggested didn't work because the program needs libeay32.dll to start. I only got error messages that it was missing when I tried to start Daz, so if you have a machines that's still running Windows 7, you can still render with no problem. Other than that if you're running Windows 8.1 or 10 you'll have to wait until they fix it.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited April 2016

It uses libeay32.dll for DAZ Connect and so on and setting up that connection is one of the 1st things DAZ Studio does when you start it so as you found renaming it will break DAZ. What DAZ 3D could do is wait until the rest of DAZ Studio is started and create no internet connection unless you login by changing their code. That's just a workaround though. If the problem is really in that library (not likely), then they need to fix it.

For the same reason, those of you that have DAZ Studio load scene files on start up I recommend you don't do so but instead have DAZ open to an empty scene. If DAZ Studio is crashing on startup and you have DAZ Studio opening to a blank scene then you've really eliminated a lot of possibilities as to what could be causing the crash and at the same time made it likely the bug report will be escalated. If you do open a saved scene on startup and DAZ Studio is crashing while opening the scene then you can easily work around that problem by going in Windows Explorer or osX File Manager and renaming the scene that is causing problems. Then you may start to recreate the offending scene piece by piece until you identify if it's a particular element of that scene or that perhaps you have nVidia IRay Preview turned on for a scene that has an element in it that's known to cause a crash (I've heard some of the ivy does that to iRay for example). 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2016

Ranzzlee said:

Sorry Mike Hunt the changes mjc1016 suggested didn't work because the program needs libeay32.dll to start. I only got error messages that it was missing when I tried to start Daz, so if you have a machines that's still running Windows 7, you can still render with no problem. Other than that if you're running Windows 8.1 or 10 you'll have to wait until they fix it.

That's why I suggested naming it .bak...I don't have a Windows 10 installed version of Studio to check to see if it would fall back to trying to find/use an OS installed sytem/wide version or if the included one was absolutely required...it is, evidently.  That does seem to put a bit of weight on there being a conflict somewhere, though.

There was an update to an earlier Windows update that was pushed out around the same time this started, too...I had found the details the other day when looking, but can't find them today.  It was network related...and it was a 'fix' for an update that went out in early March.  And it was a Win 8.1/10 only update. (wouldn't be the first time a fix for a fix broke something else...)

Post edited by mjc1016 on

It uses libeay32.dll for DAZ Connect and so on and setting up that connection is one of the 1st things DAZ Studio does when you start it so as you found renaming it will break DAZ. What DAZ 3D could do is wait until the rest of DAZ Studio is started and create no internet connection unless you login by changing their code. That's just a workaround though. If the problem is really in that library (not likely), then they need to fix it.

For the same reason, those of you that have DAZ Studio load scene files on start up I recommend you don't do so but instead have DAZ open to an empty scene. If DAZ Studio is crashing on startup and you have DAZ Studio opening to a blank scene then you've really eliminated a lot of possibilities as to what could be causing the crash and at the same time made it likely the bug report will be escalated. If you do open a saved scene on startup and DAZ Studio is crashing while opening the scene then you can easily work around that problem by going in Windows Explorer or osX File Manager and renaming the scene that is causing problems. Then you may start to recreate the offending scene piece by piece until you identify if it's a particular element of that scene or that perhaps you have nVidia IRay Preview turned on for a scene that has an element in it that's known to cause a crash (I've heard some of the ivy does that to iRay for example). 

For me it crashes no matter what. I always start from a blank scene, but I tried to do a new scene and it crashed while I was shaping and dressing the character. I just seems crayzy to try to use Daz right now if you're only able to start a scene and it crashes after a few minutes. I would not be surprised if Windows update was responsible for the problem. Some apps that I used with 8.1 have crashed after an update. No word yet from Microsoft on my end why this keeps happening.

edited April 2016
    Ranzzlee said:

For me it crashes no matter what. I always start from a blank scene, but I tried to do a new scene and it crashed while I was shaping and dressing the character. I just seems crayzy to try to use Daz right now if you're only able to start a scene and it crashes after a few minutes. I would not be surprised if Windows update was responsible for the problem. Some apps that I used with 8.1 have crashed after an update. No word yet from Microsoft on my end why this keeps happening.

Do you have IRay Rendering in your Preview Viewport turned on? If so, I can open a particular DAZ product (it's a Pergola with ivy on the trellises) that will crash DAZ Studio 4.9.1.30 Release everytime I try to do an iRay render. So if that product or a similar bug invoking product is in your scene then it will crash.

DAZ Studio consistently crashes on me in three scenarios: try an iRay render with the pergola in the scene with the offending ivy model, 100% or extremely near memory utilization, and 100% or extremely near CPU utilization (which is probably really a symtom of memory utilization and swapping out). Since I started setting the affinity in DAZ Studio to use only two CPU cores I know only get crashes on out of memory (and for my simple seens can avoid that most times if I remember to close MS Edge (or whatever your favorite browser is too) or only allow one or two tabs to be open) and the Pergola with the ivy but I don't keep on insisting on using that pergola with the ivy since I identified it crashes DAZ.

If it really is a problem with that openSSL library and Windows 10 it must be something unique to you and two or three others security configuartion in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 that is different than just about everybody else's configuration. You should ask Gabriel Aul or a Windows security expert in the Windows 10 Develop Preview Community regarding that if you sincerely believe it is Windows 10/Windows 8.1. Windows is a huge subject by itself. I know that a Windows 8.1 security fix was in fact the cause of a bug in Poser Pro 2014 Library product browsing code via Adobe Air and other code and you had to configure Poser to work around that security fix so that the security wasn't violated. Microsoft will not re-enable those bugs they've fixed to make programs work again. So ultimately it wasn't a bug in Poser until after the security fix from Microsoft so it's no fault of Smith Micro's but a bug they had to fix nevertheless. That's why many people refuse to update to new versions of Windows but that's not really practical long term.  

DAZ Studio isn't the only program that will be crashed on me once it takes all available memory. Unity 3D is also done the same way. I'm sure others would be too.

I have Windows 10 Release and keep it updated too and even have an old Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver that hasn't been updated in years.

Or maybe are you using a Preview Developer Version of Windows 10? I'm about to upgrade my release version of Windows 10 to the latest one of those preview versions but it doesn't really worry me that much to do so.

One thing you can do to help you is use a program called 'Very Sleepy' to help identify more of the activity in the DAZ Studio when it crashes. It's a bit like truss on Solaris, or dtrace and other similar programs an the varients of Unix out there if you've ever worked with those.

I don't have nVidia iRay Preview Mode turned in in any of my viewports. I have CPU only iRay renders because I have only integrated Intel GPU. I have 8GB RAM of with generally I can't go to much over 3GB usage by DAZ Studio without DAZ Studio being crashed. I'm listing my config so you can compare it to your own and it might help you narrow to the true problem. nVidia video drivers don't have the reputation of being the most robust or reliable out there. I've just bought a bunch of MM V4 & M4 clothing so maybe I'll see that bug.  I've not tried out but a small fraction of my DAZ content library to know all the problem products but they do happen I suppose, eg, like that pergola.   

• PastelsPastels Posts: 529

I noticed something peculiar that may or may not be related to this problem and I'm throwing it out here on the off chance that it might be useful information to someone who knows far more than I do about these technical things. First, let me say that this is a brand new computer, I've had it only 12 days. It does have Windows 10, which I tried to avoid but wasn't possible. Prior to the crashing problem beginning last Weds, the only Windows and/or security updates received, that I have a record of, occurred during setup and prior to me installing DS9. Not knowing for sure what killed my previous computer, I decided to start fresh and did not load my backup files. I downloaded about 50 or so files from DIM, including the Izabella Pro Package and Greek Houses products I had just purchased. No problem. I loaded some figures and tweaked them as I wanted them for a larger project I'm working on, and saved them as individual scene files for later use, maybe a half dozen or so files. Later, I went to open one of these files, and could not find them in the scenes folder of the Content Library which is where I'm accustomed to finding them. I did eventually find them in a folder named Saved Files under the Smart Content tab. Breathed a sigh of relief and thought, OK, just something new to get used to. Then the problem with crashing began, and like some others, my first response was to uninstall and then reinstall Studio. Again, no apparrent problem. Went to open my saved files and the Saved Files folder was missing from the Smart Content tab and nowhere to be found. Again, I breathed a sigh of relief when I found them in the Scenes folder under the Content Library tab as I first expected! As I said earlier, this may or may not have anything to do with the crashing problem, may be entirely coincidental, but it struck me as odd that at the same time this problem appeared my Studio seems to have rearranged files. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep it open long enough to see if anything else has changed or determine if this is a prelude to some other issue. So, just throwing it out there.

edited April 2016
    Pastels said:

I noticed something peculiar that may or may not be related to this problem and I'm throwing it out here on the off chance that it might be useful information to someone who knows far more than I do about these technical things. First, let me say that this is a brand new computer, I've had it only 12 days. It does have Windows 10, which I tried to avoid but wasn't possible. Prior to the crashing problem beginning last Weds, the only Windows and/or security updates received, that I have a record of, occurred during setup and prior to me installing DS9. Not knowing for sure what killed my previous computer, I decided to start fresh and did not load my backup files. I downloaded about 50 or so files from DIM, including the Izabella Pro Package and Greek Houses products I had just purchased. No problem. I loaded some figures and tweaked them as I wanted them for a larger project I'm working on, and saved them as individual scene files for later use, maybe a half dozen or so files. Later, I went to open one of these files, and could not find them in the scenes folder of the Content Library which is where I'm accustomed to finding them. I did eventually find them in a folder named Saved Files under the Smart Content tab. Breathed a sigh of relief and thought, OK, just something new to get used to. Then the problem with crashing began, and like some others, my first response was to uninstall and then reinstall Studio. Again, no apparrent problem. Went to open my saved files and the Saved Files folder was missing from the Smart Content tab and nowhere to be found. Again, I breathed a sigh of relief when I found them in the Scenes folder under the Content Library tab as I first expected! As I said earlier, this may or may not have anything to do with the crashing problem, may be entirely coincidental, but it struck me as odd that at the same time this problem appeared my Studio seems to have rearranged files. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep it open long enough to see if anything else has changed or determine if this is a prelude to some other issue. So, just throwing it out there.

The disappearing files is a problem in DAZ Studio - they are there but in low memory situations they will not get refreshed until you mouse over them with the pointer. And in the other case you sound like you are learning how DAZ Studio organizes content.

When computers run out of memory they often cause what seems to be unpredicticable behavior - just today, for example I bought the City Roads prop from the DAZ Store recently and I go open the scene and as DAZ Studio opens the scene it crashes before finishing but doesn't bring up the dialogue that asks me to save the crash dump. So I start DAZ Studio again and immediately set the CPU affinity to use only two CPU cores for DAZ Studio. This time DAZ Studio completes opening the scene and as I scroll back (zoom out) on the scene using my middle mouse button again the MS supplied Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver repeatedly crashes and is recovered by Windows 10 until after a few failed attempts to recover the video driver Windows 10 stops the cycling crash and starts the safe-mode VGA driver instead. DAZ did not crash this time but was not really usuable in VGA mode.

You'll notice the driver crash (2nd) started happening as I zoomed out and so put more geometry in the viewport and used correspondingly more memory. There is not much an app developer can do if they keep asking for memory until something crashes in Windows - whether it be a video driver, DAZ Studio, Unity 3D, and something else. The OS should prevent this you'd think but it is not. That's why I asked if it was possible to configure DAZ Studio to limit the amount of memory it could request at a maximum and it could have a detail culling system in place as that maximum is approached. Then DAZ 3D would be stuck with memory management and we see how much fun the video driver writers are having with that. As I'm not a 3D programmer though I don't know if they know how much memory a file is going to take unless it's saved in same time of metadata infomation header that belongs to the file.

The 1st crash attempt is problably related to out of memory too but I don't understand why having the affinity set to all 4 cores in DAZ Studio causes crashes to happen more often and with more frequency than by reducing the number of cores DAZ Studio can use. Many more cores request more memory much faster I suppose.

Anyway, I rebooted to recover the Intel HD Graphics 3000 video driver and made a point of not starting Outlook 2016 or MS Edge and the same City Roads prop now loads, can be zoomed out on, and rendered in iRay, so out of memory is a problem that the makers of these video drivers, Windows, and these 3D applications need to get a handle on. Uh, I set CPU affinity to only 1/2 the cores available as a habit now. Maybe I can stop doing that in the future with newer HW with better video drivers.

About the only thing I can do is upgrade to new HW that is reputed to have more reliable and bug free video drivers. Maybe I will try the latest ATI card that I can afford this winter. Or hope nVidia and Intel improve. Regardless of what HW I buy the Intel Skylake GPUs will come with the new DirectX 12 compatible video HW I believe so it's a matter of the newest nVidia or ATI video card add-on I can afford if I decide to add one of those cards at all.

One thing DAZ Studio can do to help stop these out of memory crashes is to automatically degrade the Draw Style to a less detailed style used in the Viewport as available memory comes closer to running out.

I will try that with the City Roads prop that was causing trouble for me in the next few days. 

Well here is the update for me. I followed the suggestion to put my laptop in airport mode and try to use Daz. This actually worked and I was able to use Daz again. I don't know if this is a problem with Windows 10 security set up, but turning off the wifi kept Daz from crashing. I tried it on my Windows 10 desktop and it worked as well. In both cases as soon as I turned the wifi back on and connected to the internet, it crashed. I can live without the wifi on while I work but for those that use a networked computer this may not work.

Ranzzlee said:

Well here is the update for me. I followed the suggestion to put my laptop in airport mode and try to use Daz. This actually worked and I was able to use Daz again. I don't know if this is a problem with Windows 10 security set up, but turning off the wifi kept Daz from crashing. I tried it on my Windows 10 desktop and it worked as well. In both cases as soon as I turned the wifi back on and connected to the internet, it crashed. I can live without the wifi on while I work but for those that use a networked computer this may not work.

I tried it too and it worked for me as well. Back in business!

Pastels said:
    Ranzzlee said:

I tried it too and it worked for me as well. Back in business!

Huzzah!

• bamboojibambooji Posts: 37

To reiterate what has been said before when this appears:

DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:0000000005CA9554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

JUST SWITCH OFF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION, AND THEN DAZ STUDIO WORKS FINE.  

• I was having the same problem this morning.. Moved all that is Daz to my D:/ which is 1TB and haven't had it crashed yet... I'm trying to transfer my saved projects from my Mac to my new PC.. So far none of my models look nothing like it did on my Mac but I think it's because my purchases where done for my Mac

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

So far none of my models look nothing like it did on my Mac but I think it's because my purchases where done for my Mac

Content is OS neutral...it's the same stuff.  The old, separate installers were OS specific, because they couldn't be the same, but the zip files used now don't care what OS you are putting them on.

• bambooji said:

Ranzzlee said:

Thanks.  Disconnecting my wifi worked for me as well.  

edited April 2016

I do not have the option at my business to turn off the Internet and Wi-Fi I must leave it on our used us in a business application. I am very disappointed with daz customer service they seem to be doing very little about this I have received a few emails telling me to purge my DNS file which I did a week ago I still get the same Libey error message that is what it does must  fix

Post edited by Mike Hunt on
  • Yup, the crashes stopped when I wasn't using the Wifi. It is always amazing how one thing could stop all hell breaking loose with a program. Still they need to fix that.

• agiertzagiertz Posts: 5
    Mike Hunt said:

I flushed my DNS cache correctly, confirmed. This did no good whatsoever. Another immediate crash with the same error message:DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:00000000480B9554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

Agiertz, you found relief by turnng off you wireless. But have you been getting the specific "LIBEAY32.dll error" in your crash report or is your random crash problem unrelated? BTW I can't shut down my wireless here anyway, I use Daz at work, we have all kinds of wireless equipment here; printers, scanners, phones etc. but thanks anyway.

Mod edit

Yes, my error is indeed the libeay one. "illegal instructions" and all that.

• The Daz Studio developers have been digging into this, with the help of the crash logs you have been submitting (for which they thank you). The initial thought, as mentioned earlier, was that it was a DNS issue related to Daz' recent change of server (which is why it is still worth trying to clear your DNS cache http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1065816/#Comment_1065816 ). However, it may be, in at least some cases, that it is related to the WebKit browser in Qt that DS uses: you can test this possibility by starting DS, choosing to Work Offline at the log-in prompt, then setting the panel at the bottom of Smart Content to something other than Store (Info, say) before trying to use the Connect>Log-in menu copmmand (or the Log-in button in Smart Content) and hopefully not crashing. The devs are continuing to look at this and may be able to resolve the issue on the Daz server end.

The Daz Studio developers have been digging into this, with the help of the crash logs you have been submitting (for which they thank you). The initial thought, as mentioned earlier, was that it was a DNS issue related to Daz' recent change of server (which is why it is still worth trying to clear your DNS cache http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1065816/#Comment_1065816 ). However, it may be, in at least some cases, that it is related to the WebKit browser in Qt that DS uses: you can test this possibility by starting DS, choosing to Work Offline at the log-in prompt, then setting the panel at the bottom of Smart Content to something other than Store (Info, say) before trying to use the Connect>Log-in menu copmmand (or the Log-in button in Smart Content) and hopefully not crashing. The devs are continuing to look at this and may be able to resolve the issue on the Daz server end.

This didn't work for me. The only thing that seems to work is to disengage the computer itself from the Wifi.

Mike Hunt said:

I do not have the option at my business to turn off the Internet and Wi-Fi I must leave it on our used us in a business application. I am very disappointed with daz customer service they seem to be doing very little about this I have received a few emails telling me to purge my DNS file which I did a week ago I still get the same Libey error message that is what it does must  fix

Mike, I don't know if you can do this or not but I thought I would mention it. On my computer, if I click on the internet connection icon on the task bar, it allows me to disconnect the computer from the wireless network and I can reconnect in seconds by clicking on it again. I don't have to shut down my whole network. My Studio then functions and I can save my work, shut down and reconnect periodically to check my business functions as needed.

• Have those of you who are getting the crashes opted in to the DAZ Studio Improvement Program? It is looking as if that may be involved - if you are getting crashes start DS, choose Work Offline, go to Preferences and try unchecking Participate in the DAZ Studio Improvement Program if it's checked. The programme is useful, and does shape how DS is developed, and we hope that if that does fix the issue for now you will opt-in again once there's a fix for the underlying problem.