4.9 crashes randomly

Robert DimoneRobert Dimone Posts: 55

lost all my work I uninstalled the whole program and then re-installed now it keeps crashing.

Post edited by Robert Dimone on

Comments

• Is your anti-virus running a Realtime Scan for threats?

If so, turn that function off.

Mine went insane during Iray rendering, trying to scan all of those tiny packets of information, maxed out the RAM and the CPU until everything crashed.

• What operating system? What security software? Are you getting any kind of error message or is it crashing straight to desktop?

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,081

Mine also started crashing a few days ago. I'm running windows 10

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Any specifics?

Exact errors/crash reports...

How recently did it start?

• Mine also started crashing a few days ago. I'm running windows 10

Do pic attached, see if it fixes it. Win 10 Defender can interfere with rendering.

no-even-trying-to-hide-their-spyware.jpg
    520 x 435 - 23K
    mjc1016 said:

Any specifics?

Exact errors/crash reports...

How recently did it start?

Happens when I load ANY scene. Even the default DAZ scenes. Started a few days ago. If I recall correctly, Wednesday evening. I've submitted three crash reports and opened a trouble ticket but haven't heard anything back yet.

I've created dozens of unique characters in hundreds of different scenes and spent thousands of dollars in buying all of these add ons. I hope that all of that was not wasted and the problem can be fixed.

Is anyone working on this? And expected time period for a resolution?

Studio doesn't automatically update...so for a sudden onset of crashing, it's not likely to be caused by a change in Studio.

Any OS updates around the start of the crashing?  AV/security software updates?  Driver updates? (Iray is particularly sensetive to drivers).

Hardware problems, especially disk problems...crashing with a program like Studio can be an early indicator of disk problems.

• agiertzagiertz Posts: 5

I've also had this problem. it started wednesday or thursday. i can't load any scenes, and when i try to start from scratch it randomly crashes. i tried uninstalling all my recent installations to no avail. i am running windows 10, my last OS update was on the 27th, and i've used daz since then fine. it only started on wednessday/thursday. it says the error is found in the libeay.dll file; it tried to execute an "illegal instruction" or something stupid like that. it seems like the problem is caused BY the error message, as the program itself often works fine untill i click the close button for the error message. is there a way to disable the error message check thingie? i can't paste my error log with this browser for some stupid reason, so i'm attaching this as a zip file.

zip
    zip
    DAZStudio_error_report_160402-151001.zip
    agiertz said:

I've also had this problem. it started wednesday or thursday. i can't load any scenes, and when i try to start from scratch it randomly crashes. i tried uninstalling all my recent installations to no avail. i am running windows 10, my last OS update was on the 27th, and i've used daz since then fine. it only started on wednessday/thursday. it says the error is found in the libeay.dll file; it tried to execute an "illegal instruction" or something stupid like that. it seems like the problem is caused BY the error message, as the program itself often works fine untill i click the close button for the error message. is there a way to disable the error message check thingie? i can't paste my error log with this browser for some stupid reason, so i'm attaching this as a zip file.

If you disconnect from the internet, can you run Studio?

You are the second person posting with libeay.dll problems...that dll handles OpenSSL functions.

• Mike HuntMike Hunt Posts: 71
    edited April 2016

I have had the same problem. II attached my error file. When I load my Daz 4.9 Pro (I think I have the Beta version) it will randomly crash within 10 minutes. This started happening about March 30, 2016, a few days ago. I have turned off my McAffee realtime scanning to see if that will help, it doesn't. Any ideas? I have Windows 8.1 PC 16 gigs RAM quad processor, new HP. Ran Daz fine till recently.

Here is part of the notice I got when the darn little window poped up to tell me it was crashing:

DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:0000000048E99554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

and under registers:RAX=0000000000000000  RBX=0000000062F61768
    RCX=0000000062F61768  RDX=0000000062F61768
    RSI=0000000062F61768  RDI=0000000000000002
    FLG=00010287          RBP=00000000236F4E40

Very frustrating. I've tried reinstalling 4.9 several times; I have also tried restarting my machine, neither worked. Please don't 'talk over my head' with your response, plain english please would be very nice. Thanking you in advance!

Post edited by Mike Hunt on
  • I have been getting the same thing and it started today

A message has been sent to the developers, so someone will probably be looking in on this thread.

Are all of the crashes involving libeay.dll?

It would also be a good idea to each submit a customer service ticket on this.

agiertz said:

I am experiencing the EXACT same thing.

mjc1016 said:
    agiertz said:

If you disconnect from the internet, can you run Studio?

You are the second person posting with libeay.dll problems...that dll handles OpenSSL functions.

Whether I'm connected to the web or not, the same thing happens.

• RanzzleeRanzzlee Posts: 41

I'm also experiencing the same problem but it seems to affect Windows 10 the most. I've emailed Microsoft and told them that their operating system is broken because I can use my programs/apps for a while then crashes start to occur and uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't seem to work. Now here I see so many people having the same problem and if Studio is not the problem then it doesn't work with Windows 10. Should we all just go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 so we can use DAZ again without crashing?

I am running windows 8.1 and I have the same problem. So I doubt it is the Windows operating system. It is in Daz, the libeay.dll file apparently. I hope they fix it QUICKLY, I am in the middle of several Daz projects. We are dead in the water.

I tried installing Daz 4.5 from CNet, that didn't install correctly, it installed as 4.9. I was hoping that downgrading from the buggy 4.9 might help.

Mike Hunt said:

I am running windows 8.1 and I have the same problem. So I doubt it is the Windows operating system. It is in Daz, the libeay.dll file apparently. I hope they fix it QUICKLY, I am in the middle of several Daz projects. We are dead in the water.

I tried installing Daz 4.5 from CNet, that didn't install correctly, it installed as 4.9. I was hoping that downgrading from the buggy 4.9 might help.

An the public build is also buggy too. I tried using it but get the same results

• I guess i have the same problem, i had no problem but today i had 5 crashes in 3 hours. Mostly when rendering screen turns solid black or grey. It also happened when loading a hair prop in daz studio.

Turning of gpu rendering is working better; until now just one crash.

What is happening????

Slowmichael...your problem doesn't sound the same.  It almost soungs like an overheating or memory problem...

• GPU overheating? That was my first guess, but i have monitored my gpu and it does not run very hot. I have also monitored ram usage and as far as i can see no problem (i have 32 Gb RAM), unless there was a spike in the usage that i could not see.

GPU overheating? That was my first guess, but i have monitored my gpu and it does not run very hot. I have also monitored ram usage and as far as i can see no problem (i have 32 Gb RAM), unless there was a spike in the usage that i could not see.

That would be my first guess...GPU overheating, because the drop to grey/black is often a sign of it.  But I was thinking more along the lines of memory problem...as in bad stick of RAM or flakey chip on the video card. 

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited April 2016

GPU overheating? That was my first guess, but i have monitored my gpu and it does not run very hot. I have also monitored ram usage and as far as i can see no problem (i have 32 Gb RAM), unless there was a spike in the usage that i could not see.

Do you have 32 GB RAM on the Video Card? (I don`t think so).

Memory problem in DAZ Studio depending on the Memory of your Video Card.

Since the last time I also had several crashes of DAZ Studio 4.9 and error report say "not enough memory" so I put in another 16 GB RAM Stick but the error occured right at the same point (in the scene) so I have to find out that RAM isn`t the thing that matters... it doesn`t matter if you have 16 GB RAM or 64 GB RAM... the only thing that matters is how much memory your Video Card have.

If your Video Card has only 4 or 8 GB Memory your DAZ Studio scene will always crash at the same point no matter how much RAM you have installed (with RAM Sticks).

Post edited by R25S on
  • Mine keeps on crashing as well :'(

I just upgraded from a crappy MacBook Pro to a superOP Mac Pro, and just when I transfered my entire library it keeps crashing on spot render.

I'm running DS4.9 (64bit)

In the log thingie it says this:

/src/sdksource/cloud/dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0

But I don't know what that means. There's also a bunch of other stuff, but I don't know what to look for.

I've already reinstalled DS and restarted the computer and all that.

Can anyone help?

edited April 2016

Isn't fixed yet (1445h Eastern Time), once again I uninstalled 4.9 (using DIM) and reinstalled a fresh copy directly off the Daz website. result was immediate crash when I tried to open a scene. I used a different scene than the ones I tried to open on previous crashes. I once again got the frustrating "DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:000000003E479554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

BTW, I turned off win def, no improvement. I turned off all my McAffee, no improvement. I run windows 8.1 it too has win def like windows 10 does.

I need this for my business. Does anyone know how I can download and install a previous version of DAZ on my machine? I would be very, very happy to kiss off 4.9 and all its bugs. Downloading the previous versions isn't easy, I've put several hours into it now. When you download an archaic version it somehow installs as 4.9, dammit. sad I don't care if I lose Iray funcionality or "Daz Reality", I don't use them anyway, they are way too slow. I would like to revert to Daz 4.5 or even 4.0.

Post edited by Mike Hunt on
  • Mike Hunt said:

Isn't fixed yet (1445h Eastern Time), once again I uninstalled 4.9 (using DIM) and reinstalled a fresh copy directly off the Daz website. result was immediate crash when I tried to open a scene. I used a different scene than the ones I tried to open on previous crashes. I once again got the frustrating "DAZStudio.exe caused ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\LIBEAY32.dll" at 0033:000000003E479554, AES_cbc_encrypt()+51524 byte(s)

So are we expected to simply stop using Daz until it's fixed? Or is there a workaround?

Does anyone from the DAZ3D technical support team read these posts? 

edited April 2016

Uninstalling/reinstalling Studio IS NOT going to fix this.  It is either something connected to the site/server troubles the other day  or an OS/Security software update.   All that is going to accomplish is reinstalling the same version libeay.dll that is currently not working for you.

The bulk of the sudden onset crashes...the ones that are specifically mentioning libeay.dll are the main focus of this thread.  Yes, techfolks have been notified, but it would not be amiss for everyone with this specific problem to actually file a support ticket, too.

Libeay.dll is OpenSSL and it specifically deals with secure web connections.

This has a hint of a dll conflict to me...so if there is a system-wide libeay.dll installed, there is a possibility that a conflict has developed between it and the one in the Studio folder.  One thing you can try is rename libeay.dll to libeay.bak...

Post edited by mjc1016 on

Thank you MJC. I have heard nothing from Daz yet.

You said "One thing you can try is rename libeay.dll to libeay.bak...". How do I do that? I am an artist (I started with Poser 2, a long time ago!!) not a computer expert. I drive the race car fast and well, but I don't have any idea how to fix it.

Thanks again.

I'm running DAZ3D 4.9 on my desktop which is operating on Windows 7 and I haven't run into this problem. I also have Daz installed on my laptop running Winwows 10 and it keeps crashing. I'm going to try renaming the libeay.dll like mjc1016 suggested and see if that works.

Thank you Ranzzlee, please let me know if it works. Also, if you have time, could you explain how it is done? I have no idea where to find the file.

Libeay.dll is found in the Studio program folder...you may need to 'authorize' any changes to it.  You can find it by going into the Program Files (Program Files x86...depending on version of Studio) folder...and just rename it to libeay.bak