BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE 20 ~~TREES~~

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,802
    edited April 2016

While considering whether an update of my earlier 'mother tree' is aready what I want, I made a quick one.

Started out with just one tree on the side of a water, followed by some more trees. Then a flock of ducks flew in, followed by two swans. A crow got onto the side and a church appeared in the background. I improved the contrast a bit in postwork. Not sure whether this is sufficiently 'trees'. What do you competitors think?

I call it: trees at the waterside.

Trees at the waterside.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,221
    edited April 2016

Entry #1 The Tower in the Trees

Contains some Tree Lab trees (dark green at the back), "Bryce Trees" objects (foreground) and "Special Trees" objects (Autumnal Maples). The tower is Anamnesis imported from DAZ Studio over the bridge. The sky and lighting are from the Sunless HDRI Skies pack.
    This is the first time I've entered a render in a Bryce competition and I nearly gave up because the first scene I built something went wrong, Bryce crashed and I lost the lot (lesson learned: I should hit "Save" from time to time!)

Tower-in-the-Trees.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 611K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,189

Mtnment - Thanks

Hansmar - love the "trees at the waterside" makes a nice cover for a children's book

MelanieL- beautiful render - happy you decided to join the challenges, the more the merrier.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,296
    edited April 2016

Tim - that's a very beautiful render. I like the high contrast, it fits the sky.

mtnmen - thank you.

Hansmar - I like the trees at the waterside. Though there are only some trunks, the crown with the foliage is mirrored in the water.

MelanieL - very nice render. I like the contrast of the barren countryside at left and the copse at right, the sky complements this beautifully.

Post edited by Horo on

Thank you, Mermaid and Horo

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited April 2016

More and more good artwork here !

My second entry : Lake view.

Lake View.jpg
    987 x 493 - 117K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited April 2016

+

My last entry : Alien's Playground.

Aliens playground.jpg
    943 x 471 - 131K
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@hansmar...Trees at the waterside.. I thought... not much trees... and then I really notice the reflections... very nice.

@melaniel... The tower in the Trees.. I really like this.. It projects an odd mood to me.. almost familiar... I really like it

@adbc...Lake view is cold and wonderful... really nice...  Alien;s Playground is fun.. Is that the younguns running to the carousel?

Here is my entry  A Universal Treeth

The tree is Lisa's Botanicals Heart of the Matter

A Universal TreethJPEG.jpg
    960 x 720 - 778K
    edited April 2016

@MelanieL: Glad you decided to enter. Otherwise we would not have seen this very nice entry. I agree with Horo on the wonderful way the sky fits to the scene. And, for your consolation, although I start feeling no beginner anymore in working with Bryce (not yet a veteran like Horo, though), I still make the mistake of not saving in time!

@adbc: two very nice renders. Lovely aliens!

@mtnmen: Very nice view, Good idea, a tree up close and a mountain in the distance. Personally, I think the 'heart of the tree' does not really appear to belong to the scene. Maybe you could change the scene in the heart (if that is possible), with the same view as we see behind the tree, to get a kind of surreal (Magritte) work?

@mtnmen and Horo: Thank you. I must admit that the reflection was, of course, no coincidence. I remember a cycling tour and being very much attracted to this kind of view (very different, but similar idea: reflection and just a bit of trunk).

@mermaid010: My thanks. Now need to find someone to write that children's book!

I now have finalised my second version of the mother tree. I think this version is better. I did like the blue colour a lot, but it made the down-hanging limbs look like hard glass, while it is a bit more soft and mysterious now, I think. I would like to have some opinions, though: which one do you prefer?

mother tree2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

@hansmar : I really like your second version of the tree, really beautiful and has indeed the mysterious effect.

Adbc- both render are very nice.

Mtnmen – wow very nice render.

Hansmar – I agree with adbc, the second render is awesome.

adbc - beautiful Lake View. Alien's Playground is special and looks cool. One remark: the main alien appears as standing on the leaf of the plant. If you may want to move it a bit farther away.

mntmen - Universal Treeth is very nice. I like the idea of the universe in the tree trunk but it somehow doesn't show its full potential. I haven't got an idea how this could be improved.

Hansmar - oh yes, this second Mother Tree is the one I prefer. Very well done.

Horo : thanks for your comment and your remark, you're right the main alien is a bit on the leaf ...... I'll correct it.

edited April 2016

Third entry  : Alien Playground with the needed correction. 

Alien's playgroud corrected.jpg
    943 x 471 - 134K

A small step for an alien, a big leap from the plant. laugh

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

Hey...

Thanks for the comments...

@horo,,, I agree... with you.. What I hoped to convey... perhaps needs some work to accomplish, so..let's make this a  WIP instead of an entry.. and I'll try tweaking it ...

@hansmar... I always look forward to your comments... Although I was hoping for more than a tree up close and a mountain in the distance... it seems to have made that minimal impression on you... and I agree it needs some work, but your suggestion with the Magritte edge is not in line with my original concept so... We'll see what comes...BTW the latest Mother Tree is far improved over your first...  In looking at it ...I wonder just what is that at the base of the trunk? It takes away from the otherwise wonderful flow of the glowing branches and the gentle drifting of the "seeds"

edited April 2016

Entry #2 An Abstraction of Trees

I thought I'd try something (deliberately) non-naturalistic this time, so here are some Tree Lab trees in a semi-reflective, semi-transparent box with a highly reflective base plane and a simple custom sky. No postwork.

An-Abstraction-of-Trees.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 714K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Thanks for your comments mtnmen and Hansmar (by that way I prefer your white/transparent tree to the blue one too, for what it's worth!)
    And I love your Lake View, adbc (the aliens are cute too)

MelanieL - wow very interesting render, awesome

@adbc: good improvement on your last render. Also good to put the 'moon' in another location. And thanks for your comment.

@Horo and mermaid010: Thanks so much.

@mtnmen: Sorry if my comment was disappointingly minimal. It was meant in a positive spirit, I can assure you. But, the 'egg' (looks more like an egg than a heart to me) did distract me a bit, to be honest, for looking out of place to me. At the bottom of my tree, there are a set of roots that partly grow above the ground. I can see what you mean and indeed, it might have been better to have those less apparent. I did not succeed in getting the roots horizontal enough, unfortunately. I think I won't redo this one, even though it can be improved, because that takes so much (render) time and I want to move on to other things now. Maybe in a week or so I will look into it again.

@MelanieL: Lovely entry! Great colours and generally very good use of reflection. And thanks for your opinion too.

Mermaid010 and Hansmar - thank you very much

MelanieL - An Abstraction of Trees is a cool idea and very well done.

Horo - thank you too

• vivienvivien Posts: 184
    edited April 2016

Horo - Thank you

Tim - Thats just wonderful, so realistic

Mermaid - Thank you

mtnmen thank you.  I like A universal tree... quite interesting and unique

Hansmar - Trees at the waterside has a watercolour feel to it, Very nice. Second version of the mother tree looks much better. The color suits it more.

Melanie - Glad you joined the challenge and didn't loose this one. It turned out beautiful. And abstraction of trees looks wonderful. great idea

adbc - wonderful 2 entries. Particularly lake view

My second entry  -  Against all odds

against all odds1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 127K
    Post edited by vivien on
  • FirePhoenixFirePhoenix Posts: 33
    edited April 2016

Hello, I'm new here and I would like to participate to this Challenge. very nice renders of everyone here
    Here is my first entry: protection

protection.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 603K

Vivien - this is a great idea, very well done.

FirePhoenix - welcome to the Bryce forums. Great entry, very nice idea and execution of the idea.

Vivien -  well done, lovely idea

FirePhoenix - welcome to the Bryce forums. Awesome entry

• thank you horo and mermaid010 smiley

vivien - thanks for your comments. And "Against all odd" is a lovely dramatic render.

FirePhoenix - wow, that's a great idea and very nicely done.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited April 2016

I've had not really an Idea for this theme...

I found this giant tree here:

the giant tree from Angkor Wat.

Angkor Wat.jpg
    900 x 900 - 503K
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on