The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• Maybe smoking is why they are quite as non-rich as they are. In the UK a packet a day is £8 in smoke, or the equivalent of $3k/year. Not an insignificant sum. Regards, Richard.
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

I think I visited the bathroom last night and can't remember it.  The toilet paper this morning had been moved and the wrapper been moved.

does anyone else do something that they can't remember later?  But finds the evidence that it was done?  Oh that bathroom is only for me.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited September 1

richardandtracy said:

Maybe smoking is why they are quite as non-rich as they are. In the UK a packet a day is £8 in smoke, or the equivalent of $3k/year. Not an insignificant sum. Regards, Richard.

Here in the US, a pack of cigarettes is about $8.  When I was a kid in the '50s, my father owned and operated a gas station.  The office had a Coca-Cola and a cigarette vending machines.  The Coke machine dispensed those "antique", indestructable, 6-ounce, glass bottles for a nickel ($0.05).  The cigarette machine dispensed a pack of 20, for a quarter ($0.25).  A yearly pack-a-day habit calculated out to  $91.  But adjusting for inflation would be about $1056 today.  Still expensive but only a third of modern prices.  I think I remember that cigarettes could be bought by the carton (10 packs) for $2 in the mid-fifties.

Ah-ha, proof of 5-cent Coke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_price_of_Coca-Cola_from_1886_to_1959#:~:text=Between 1886 and 1959, the,with very little local fluctuation.

And it was this style machine in my father's gas station.  I remember the handle on the front.  You pushed down hard on the handle to manually rotate the big, internal, vertical carousel to move a bottle into position to be pulled out of the door slot.

Coca_Cola_BottleVendingMachine.jpg
    1024 x 1251 - 152K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

5 cents now is the tax for a cup of soda at a fast food place now, I fear.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited September 1

...the average price of a pack of cigaretttes in 1964 (the year the Surgeon General's warning was first added) was 28¢ while a carton cost around 2.50$..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 530
    edited September 1

I often wonder if I will get sick due the second hand smoke in this building, like lung cancer or something. I have never smoked. I don't like the smell of weed or cigarettes, and the smoke makes me feel rather ill. I feel sure I had a Coca Cola addiction at one time, and I now limit myself to one Coke a day, if that, both to keep my weight in check and for the health of my teeth. The dentist told me it's not the sugar in cokes that does the most damage; it's the acid that wears away at the enamel of one's teeth. He suggested plain tea, if I need caffeine, which is also good imho. Perhaps there are different types of weed, just as there are different types of tobacco, because whatever they smoke around here smells like a skunk. I think the government taxes cigarettes heavily in the US to try to keep the cost high and thus prevent people from buying cigarettes.

Post edited by Calliope23 on
    edited September 2

A Trip Down Memory Lane (what I remember of it)  Price of Coca-cola:   In summer of '70, I and a car full of late teens/young adults drove from Melbourne, Florida up to the "Second Atlanta Pop Festival"  (a southern version of Woodstock).  I remember the fields full of people, cars parked for miles along the two-lane road.  Amenities included food tents, hospital tent, the works... and I particularly remember the literal mountain of six-pack cans of Coca-cola  It became an easy way to make a few dollars by buying a six-pack for $1 and wandering the extended crowd hawking your wares for a quarter ($0.25) for each can, making a 50-cent profit on each six-pack.yes   The question became how many six-packs could you carry?  There are many other things I remember about that weekend, but I'd be trampling the TOS and perhaps shocking the casual reader.devilblush  (Gotta write that book someday...)​

Mmmm..., a can of hot Coke, for a quarter.  Still a deal in the situation.smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

...fortunately the apartment building I'm in is a "no smoking" building (federally subsidised).  However there are times I can smell "skunk weed", usually from someone walking by on the sidewalk below (In Portland there enforcement is pretty lax on smoking it outside in public).

edited September 1

@LeatherGryphon Your life does sound very interesting, and you should write a book.

Smoking cigarettes is allowed in my apartment complex. Smoking weed is not, even though it's legal by state laws, but people do it anyway. My rent is subsidized but it's a private apartment complex that has some slots available for people with housing vouchers.

Post edited by Calliope23 on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,867

While I'm several decades younger than LG, I do remember a time when gasoline was under a dollar a gallon.

• Gordig said:

While I'm several decades younger than LG, I do remember a time when gasoline was under a dollar a gallon.

Me too. And I'm probably one of the youngest people on these forums.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

My uncle had an interesting way to make sure we didn't overspend at the grocery store. My usual method was to go all cyborg and calculate the exact cost of every item plus tax as they were put into the shopping cart. But when he was with us, he shunned this idea and said we didn't have to worry about what anything cost. So we filled the shopping cart with well over 100 dollars of items. Then, as we were putting them on the conveyor belt, he told the cashier "let me know when this reachs 60 dollars".

That was our limit. He figured they could just put everything else back after we hit that number.

edited September 2

...I remember when Petrol was 29⁹⁄₁₀¢

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Non complaint: Finally got some sleep! Complaint: Gas is expensive these days ...

• I remember "gas wars" during the mid-to-late '60s.  The price of gas would sometimes drop to a dime.  Also, we had Buck Night at the drive-in.  You crammed as many people as you could into your car, and you all got in for a dollar.

I went to a movie theater.  I got popcorn and a root beer!  I sat in an almost dark room eating up the snacks and drinking the drink.

Sfariah D said:

I went to a movie theater.  I got popcorn and a root beer!  I sat in an almost dark room eating up the snacks and drinking the drink.

That sounds like a nice thing to do on a hot day.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Calliope23 said:

Non complaint: Finally got some sleep! Complaint: Gas is expensive these days ...

Not that expensive at the moment, only about 1.8 eur per litre ($7.5 per gallon), was at 2.2 eur per litre ($9.2 per gallon) a while back

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

I stopped cigarettes in August 1987.

Smartest thing I ever did. Short list.

Dumbest thing I ever did. Too many to rank

Calliope23 said:

Sfariah D said:

That sounds like a nice thing to do on a hot day.

It was a nice thing to do.

edited September 3

Oooppsssiiee....

Post edited by TJohn on

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

I forgot my migraine and asthma medicine today and I'm heading to work.  Hope I don't need either.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,167

TJohn said:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

Oh, I'm sorry!  I try to keep up reading in here, but don't often have something to say...at least not anything significant. 

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

Oh, I'm sorry!  I try to keep up reading in here, but don't often have something to say...at least not anything significant

Not having anything significant to say never stopped me from posting, lol. laugh

TJohn said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

Oh, I'm sorry!  I try to keep up reading in here, but don't often have something to say...at least not anything significant

Not having anything significant to say never stopped me from posting, lol. laugh

It doesn't stop me neither.  

there is a place downtown where one can volunteer to get a free sandwich. Have to volunteer for at least an hour.

I found this sandwich place in my favorite mall that let me do the same thing today.  I asked yesterday if they needed help.  The only thing is I have to be on something called the clock in order to help them.

TJohn said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

As my favorite aunt used to say about her husband's mother (my grandmother), "She never let thinking interfere with her talking."

Is it still considered volunteering if I get paid?

TJohn said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Me, all alone. crying

..same here. 

I forgot to ask my dolls and plushies to make my bed while I'm at work.  Oh wait!  I don't think I'm in Toy Story world?