The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• KinichKinich Posts: 867

LeatherGryphon said:

Shhhh!  Much more of this talk and we'll wake the Flat-Earth people.frown  Or at least revive the stories of Chicken LIttle sadly but ironically, killed years later (after his well publicised panic attack), by the uncontrolled rapid descent of a deceased flying pig that had suffered a fatal heart attack mid-flight.sad

If it's hollow it obviously can't be flat, therefore the flat earth people are quit clearly wrong as it's obviously hollow as we haven't sunk, because if we had sunk we'd all be in the lifeboats, and I'm pretty certain, well as certain as I can be given my limited grasp on reality, that I'm not in a lifeboat because I get seasick, and I don't feel seasick, ergo it's still floating in space and therefore must be hollow. Now it's getting late here in the UK and it's past my bedtime so I'm off for a well earned kip and dreams of flat earth people falling into the hollow centre of the earth, that'll teach them!

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

LeatherGryphon said:

NylonGirl said:

Well a piece of the sky did fall and hit ye ol' transformer last night. The power wasn't out very long. Just long enough that I would have to reset all five million clocks. That didn't take long.

You seem to have a lot of trouble with your skysurprise. have you considered erecting some scaffolding, and overhead nets?  Attach those loose sky tiles with long nails?  Gorilla Glue?  Bubblegum?  And you're gonna have to cut back on your clock collection.enlightened

We've tried all except the gorilla glue. We even tried a trampoline. More on that later. Maybe.

LeatherGryphon said:

Are you sure you're not living inside an asteroid?  Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy dealt with one in the episode, "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky".  Perhaps they (the Federation) could help again.enlightened

Now that may be. That would explain why the compass has "north", "south", "east", and "whatever". That may also explain why it's possible to change the light bulbs in the sky without a ladder. Certain medicinal herbs could also explain those things.

In the Star Trek universe, I probably would have acquired a fairly important position as a communications officer, only to be discharged later for being unable to make the hissing sound when the door opens. And losing your job on a starship is the first step toward living in an asteroid.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

My legs are falling apart.  Not really but extremely exhausted and painful.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited August 17

...big cluster of thunderstorms storms heading our way from the south here, which will include strong wind, heavy rain, and possibly hail. 

We are already under the leading edge "anvil" cloud of an approaching thunderhead  This is supposed to continue late into the evening.so going to be an interesting several hours.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited August 18

Non-complaint:  Had a great dinner last night.  Our high-school class of '66 has had a well attended reunion 'most every 5 years.  Last year, some of the planners were trying to make it annual and held one last year, but I didn't go.  The annual one for this year fell through officially, but a bunch of us (about 20) got together for an unofficial, impromptu (off-year) reunion dinner.  I didn't recognize half the people there, and when I did figure out who they were, It was if the aging-fairy had blessed them with an extra dose of ancient-dust during the last three years.surprise  But the dinner was used as an impromptu meeting to plan for at least one more official 5-year reunion in 2026 (our 60th).   And the idea of  annual dinners has been officially abandoned.yes

What's the difference between our "official" and "annual" reunions?  The official ones show the same old photos, and hand out an updated list of dead classmates.frown  Dancing at these events has abated once the canes & walkers started appearing.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Someone messaged me through that facebook thing.  They want me to try some gift card thing that allegedly promised ten times profit.  I told them I am not interested.  They asked if I was afraid.  I told them I am not interested.  They kept trying to get me to join them.  I said I am not interested.  I was stern and hopefully they got a hint that I am not interested.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

Sfariah D said:

Someone messaged me through that facebook thing.  They want me to try some gift card thing that allegedly promised ten times profit.  I told them I am not interested.  They asked if I was afraid.  I told them I am not interested.  They kept trying to get me to join them.  I said I am not interested.  I was stern and hopefully they got a hint that I am not interested.

Yes, that is a scam.

...well made it through the dark and stormy evening/night with no casualties.  Though the rain was heavy (mixed with a bit of hail now and then ) and winds gusty the power didn't even flicker and by 23:00 (local time) the clouds parted and it was all over.  Hearing the thunder was kind if nice though as we usually don't get much of that here compared to the midwest.

Still fairly breezy today but will calm down by tomorrow.

frank0314 said:

Sfariah D said:

Yes, that is a scam.

That is why I said I wasn't interested. 

Complaint: I couldn't get a second job that I wanted.  So I complained to my boss about my hours.  (well mentioned it and that i could work also Monday through Wednesday).  I just checked my schedule this morning.  Non-complaint I work tomorrow.

I've been lying in the same uncomfortable position for a half hour now because I don't want to disturb the cat that is sleeping on my leg.

NylonGirl said:

I've been lying in the same uncomfortable position for a half hour now because I don't want to disturb the cat that is sleeping on my leg.

The cat knows, and is smirking.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,487

Cats always smirk, it's the basic cat face shape.

Regards,

Richard

...because they know they rule the universe. 

Okay... so the cat's done sleeping and I'm back now.

I got a free magnet and I'm not completely sure I like it. I don't I can return it for a refund.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,167

Sfariah D said:

I got a free magnet and I'm not completely sure I like it. I don't I can return it for a refund.

You mean they'll give you back nothing?  wink 

DanaTA said:

Sfariah D said:

Of course.  lol!

edited August 22

DanaTA said:

Sfariah D said:

Would they stick it to the back side of a Moebius strip, or try to contain it in a Klein bottle? indecision

KleinBottle.png
    664 x 326 - 91K

My computer says it is 11 minutes to home?  I'm in the kitchen.  It would take one minute probably to walk to my room.

now to check on dinner in the oven.

IMG_2913.jpeg
    960 x 1280 - 370K

Just found out I have arthritis in my left knee.  Oh dear.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,503
    edited August 23

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

Sfariah D said:

Would they stick it to the back side of a Moebius strip, or try to contain it in a Klein bottle? indecision

Here is a Klein Bottle in 3D made in Wings3D by David Brinnen over 16 years ago. I gave it a glass material. At left cut and uncut, right rotated uncut and cut. Bryce render, HDRI lit.

Klein Bottle

KleinBottle.jpg
    800 x 450 - 41K
    Post edited by Horo on

I drew this today without any photo references for the pose.  Does it look right?

IMG_2934.jpeg
    960 x 1280 - 298K
    edited August 25

Horo said:

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

Sfariah D said:

Here is a Klein Bottle in 3D made in Wings3D by David Brinnen over 16 years ago. I gave it a glass material. At left cut and uncut, right rotated uncut and cut. Bryce render, HDRI lit.

Klein Bottle

Yes, but 3D "Klein Bottles" are so disappointing.  Whereas, a Moebius Strip is "see-able", and completely understandable.  But when confronted with a 3D "Klein Bottle", you can still find a way to pour into and keep something in it, it doesn't live up to the promise of having no distinction between inside and outside.sad  A real Klein Bottle is still a mathematical mental exercise.  You need four dimensions.surprise  But for those who consider that "Time" is the fourth dimension, I still can't see how one could get a real Klein Bottle out of it.frown  Perhaps "Time" is not the same 4th dimension that Klein Bottles live inindecision  Arghhh..., now we're talking about alternative classes of 4th dimensions.  My brain is 'splodin'.sad

....I like the 5th Diemension , They had nice songs.

kyoto kid said:

....I like the 5th Diemension , They had nice songs.

"Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In":

"UP, UP and Away":

Someone needs to unload the dishwasher so I can put the dirty dishes in to it.  Oh wait!  I think the dishwasher is full of my dishes so it is me who needs to put them away.

Is it me or is it I?

LeatherGryphon said:

Yes, but 3D "Klein Bottles" are so disappointing.  Whereas, a Moebius Strip is "see-able", and completely understandable.  But when confronted with a 3D "Klein Bottle", you can still find a way to pour into and keep something in it, it doesn't live up to the promise of having no distinction between inside and outside.sad  A real Klein Bottle is still a mathematical mental exercise.  You need four dimensions.surprise  But for those who consider that "Time" is the fourth dimension, I still can't see how one could get a real Klein Bottle out of it.frown  Perhaps "Time" is not the same 4th dimension that Klein Bottles live inindecision  Arghhh..., now we're talking about alternative classes of 4th dimensions.  My brain is 'splodin'.sad

I suppose the dimensions don't have to go in order. Perhaps if the first three are height, length, and width, then one object could have a height and length while another object could have a height and width. So maybe they could just skip time and move to whatever the fourth dimension is that they need. But whoever determined it has four dimensions should be able to state what that fourth dimension is. Otherwise, how could they be sure that dimension exists?

edited August 26

...up, up and away....

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,487
    'Teeny Weeny Airlines' is how my mum knew them. And 'DAN Air' was 'Dan Dare' due to her perception of their safety record. Not a good flyer.. And she got sea-sick looking at the sea. Regards, Richard.