The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited July 11

LeatherGryphon said:

kyoto kid said:

..well spoke with the apartment management this morning then got on Amazon's CS page live chat ( a real person)....

Any of your local TV stations have an investigative reporter in need of a story?enlightened 

...pretty sure there may be a few as housing issues here tend to be big news. However, I need to do a bit more research for verification purposes before doing so.    I need to make certian I have a case worthy for them to investigate. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...complaint:

Looks like the YouTube Advert blocker, blocker has finally caught up with me.  I don't know why they think they'll make money off of me as I would never buy anything I see on net adverts since pretty much all of the products and services they offer either don't interest me at all, donl't apply to me (like home improvemnt services, I live in an apartment), some are just ridiculous and a waste of money, or are far too expensive for my budget (like cars),

...and I really loathe those overly long drug adverts.

At least I can get my news from the actual news network sources, but so much for listening to music anymore or doing part of my historical research  (The last thing I need is to have a concerto or symphony interrupted several times) .

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited July 12

Complaint:  Commercial breaks during YouTube symphonic performances.    Oh, the pain.  The pain!

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

It is a rainy day. I mean rainy as it lots of rain.  I want to go back to bed but I work today.

I want to do something useful before work but not sure what yet?  Surfing facebook isn't useful!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,170

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Commercial breaks during YouTube symphonic performances.    Oh, the pain.  The pain!

Try getting 4K Downloader.  You can download YouTube videos without the ads.  There is a free version, I got the paid one, it was only about $10 or $12.  Offers resolution choice (out of which resolutions are  available), you can set it to download a whole playlist or just one particular video, you can select which folder to save video in (I have many multiple folders, by artist).  Then, when you play it afterwards, no ads!   https://www.4kdownload.com/-54

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722
    kyoto kid said:

I don't know why they think they'll make money off of me as I would never buy anything I see on net adverts since pretty much all of the products and services they offer either don't interest me at all, donl't apply to me (like home improvemnt services, I live in an apartment), some are just ridiculous and a waste of money, or are far too expensive for my budget (like cars),

Maybe they're hoping you'll pay to get rid of the ads since they're never relevant to you and you loathe some of them.

I loathe the scam ads which pretend they are offering government money but there is something off about it.

edited July 12

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

...[snip]...

Try getting 4K Downloader.  You can download YouTube videos without the ads.  There is a free version, I got the paid one, it was only about $10 or $12.  Offers resolution choice (out of which resolutions are  available), you can set it to download a whole playlist or just one particular video, you can select which folder to save video in (I have many multiple folders, by artist).  Then, when you play it afterwards, no ads!   https://www.4kdownload.com/-54

Great idea.enlightened  I even already have "4K Downloader" but never thought of using it for the symphonies.yes  Although, since not all on-line YouTube symphonies are corrupted by commercials, then by time the first commercial intrudes without warning, I've already committed myself to the program.  And the disruption of stopping, doing the download, restarting and picking up where I left off, kinda defeats the purpose.  And besides, I'm usually just listening as research or idle background music.  But the next time I decide to acquire a new classical piece for my private library, I'll think about downloading, sans commercials, via the "4K Downloader" instead of buying another CD.  However, I do love my classical CD collection.  It's a point of pride.smiley  And the "BankersBox" cardboard storage boxes that they are in, will, I'm sure, after I pass, keep dust off of spots on the floor of some family attic for many decades to come.devil  "Mommy, what are those boxes of plastic circles up in the attic?"  "Oh, those are great uncle LG's music disk collections.  And if you look carefully, there is even an old machine that plays them.  It might still work, maybe."indecision

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722
    I do remember fondly the first time I was babysitting a child and something happened that would interrupt the viewing of a television show. The child said, "just pause it". And I had to explain to the child that there are some television shows you can't pause. You just can't. Of course now there are no such shows you can't pause. There just aren't.

NylonGirl said:

I do remember fondly the first time I was babysitting a child and something happened that would interrupt the viewing of a television show. The child said, "just pause it". And I had to explain to the child that there are some television shows you can't pause. You just can't. Of course now there are no such shows you can't pause. There just aren't.

Wonder if I can pause live cable tv?

Last night something interrupted my viewing of jeopardy!  They were just about to ask the final question!

• KinichKinich Posts: 868

Sfariah D said:

NylonGirl said:

Wonder if I can pause live cable tv?

Possibly, depends on the TV, many modern TV have the ability but require some sort of storage device to spool the live TV onto, though some have built in storage. Typically if the remote has a pause button and you have USB port on the TV it should work, I've just got a USB Memory Stick/Flash Drive in the USB port, formatted by the TV and when I hit the pause button it records the live stream to the USB storage until I hit play again, then it picks up from where it was paused by playing back the recorded data whilst recording the incoming live feed.

This is temporary recording not permanent recording, if you switch channels etc you'll loose the spooled TV so go back to the live feed with no way of recovering the lost program, however the same storage device will be used to record live TV if you have a record function on your remote. Also the size of the flash drive will dictate how much can be paused/recorded but USB drives are not that expensive so go big.

Note as I'm in the UK this is how it works here, other countries may have restrictions/limitations on functionality.

edited July 14

...Dana, thanks for the info about 4K Downloader.

...meanwhile...another big complaint.

Woke up this morning to no Net access. Had nothing to do with a delinquent payment or anything like that.  Instead it was some type of maintenance they were doing just in my part of the city which I was told would "improve" service (for whom and for hoe much I wondered?).  Ended up going out for a good part of the day as there was little to do and no way I was going to try and read long stories or editorials on a phone (Crikey I'd have serious tendonitis in my already arthritic fingers from all the scrolling). I was able to deal with the "carpet bombing" by emails today but it was slow going as I had to deal with each, one at a time..  Finally about eleven and a half hours later (19:30) I received a text that they were all finished.  

I'll catch up on the rest of the forums tomorrow as it's getting late, I have a headache, and I am tired. 

Non Complaint:

Beautiful summer day (84° where I am) after that mini heat wave we had. but temperatures will be rising back up into the 90s starting tomorrow, and staying there for the next week at least.

A Leela drop below in the style of an old B&W movie. 

Oh wel,l looks like the upload bug has retruned like a bad penny again. Will try later

Update:

I was able to attach an image to a post in another thread on Saturday but it's still not working on this one.

Last night I dreamt there was a water park that merged with Jurassic Park.  Of course, that would be a great idea?

would you want to go down a water slide with a t-Rex watching you? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited July 14

kyoto kid said:

...complaint:

Looks like the YouTube Advert blocker, blocker has finally caught up with me.  I don't know why they think they'll make money off of me as I would never buy anything I see on net adverts since pretty much all of the products and services they offer either don't interest me at all, donl't apply to me (like home improvemnt services, I live in an apartment), some are just ridiculous and a waste of money, or are far too expensive for my budget (like cars),

At least I can get my news from the actual news network sources, but so much for listening to music anymore or doing part of my historical research  (The last thing I need is to have a concerto or symphony interrupted several times) .

They block your account? I've gotten the onsceen warning a couple of times. Sadly with the memory loss issue I have I can't rememebr how I worked around it. I use uBlock and did something in there along with my internet options to give them limited access but not enough to make it so I have to watch the ads. On the TV sadly I get stuck watching them. They even started giving me 1 min long string of ads now.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited July 14

Non-complaint:  Yay, I finally sat down and finished the new "RIven-2024" game., and got the good ending.​  Wheee..., I'm a hero.yes

It took a bit of experimentation and re-thinking, but I finally grasped the last puzzle (actually puzzles, because there were more than the expected "last" one.smiley)  For a nearly 30 year old game, they did a good job of making it interesting again and they didn't even have to go overboard on graphics updates.  The original "Riven" was somewhat ahead of its time which makes it so memorable.  And with this new version they've added free roaming, upped the resolution, enhanced the atmosphere, enriched the story, modified/improved the old puzzles, added new puzzles, and still kept that original Riven feeling.  Good job guys!heart

edited July 15

frank0314 said:

kyoto kid said:

...complaint:

They block your account? I've gotten the onsceen warning a couple of times. Sadly with the memory loss issue I have I can't rememebr how I worked around it. I use uBlock and did something in there along with my internet options to give them limited access but not enough to make it so I have to watch the ads. On the TV sadly I get stuck watching them. They even started giving me 1 min long string of ads now.

...the account is not blocked but may as well be as I'm not goign to sit through adverts for things I have no intent or budget to purchase intrrupting what I am watching .   It s nothing but a bloody annoyance. 

I gave up cable television many years ago (back when there were about 70 channels or so including the premium ones like HBO and Showtime) for the same reason.  Back then I was actually paying a fairly substantial monthly bill and at times, in one half hour of programming (usually during a movie) there would be between 14 - 18 minutes of adverts with the advert breaks getting longer as a film neared its end.  Furthermore, the  same series of adverts often repeated every few breaks, many of which being for local auto dealers that had very poor production quality (in fact auto related adverts seemed to outnumber any other single product or service, even cheap "industrial" beer). .  

Taking a break from anything news related for a couple days (save for Ukraine) as they just keep regurgitating the same stuff about what happened yesterday over, and over, and over. 

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K

I think the cereal milk ratio is more to the milk side this morninh.  Not sure why my craft scissors are on the kitchen tabel?

IMG_20240715_071504.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 1M
    IMG_20240715_071456.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 1M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Complaint; One of my monitors stopped working on Sunday and I didn't have any spare left as I had already used it to replace the previous one that broke down.

Non-Complaint; Got myself a brand new Samsung 27" 2560x1440 today and it looks pretty good smiley

Complaint; Now I have three monitors, all with different resolutions and the oldest one (HP LA2405wg, 24" 1920x1200) looks so faded... I may need to buy two more new monitors...

Non-Complaint; The Samsung is on sale this week for 199eur (VAT 24% included), normal price 299eur smiley

edited July 16

PerttiA said:

Complaint; One of my monitors stopped working on Sunday and I didn't have any spare left as I had already used it to replace the previous one that broke down.

Non-Complaint; Got myself a brand new Samsung 27" 2560x1440 today and it looks pretty good smiley

Complaint; Now I have three monitors, all with different resolutions and the oldest one (HP LA2405wg, 24" 1920x1200) looks so faded... I may need to buy two more new monitors...

Non-Complaint; The Samsung is on sale this week for 199eur (VAT 24% included), normal price 299eur smiley

Cool!  Nothing like new equipment putting the old equipment to shame, to stoke the flames of desire.smiley

Which Samsung monitor exactly?  From where?indecision

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Cool!  Nothing like new equipment putting the old equipment to shame, to stoke the flames of desire.smiley

It's a Samsung S27B610 and bought it from a local brick-and-mortar store here in Finland

I wish DIM had spell check option.  I wanted to see if Genesis 8 was installed but I misspelled Genesis somehow and it couldn't find anything.  I fixed the spelling and found out Genesis 8 was installed.

Complaint: putting the pot on the back burner but turning on the front burner won't heat up the pot on the back burner.  I also just made dinner but it is too hot to eat.

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

...[snip]...

It's a Samsung S27B610 and bought it from a local brick-and-mortar store here in Finland

Thank you.  I've been thinking about my monitor situation lately.  

I don't want AI to do my art or writing, I want help with laundry and dishes! Wait!  Why stop there?  I basically want an AI maid!

I think I want the Jetson's maid.  Definitely don't want the sexy maid to distract any future husbands and do activities not in her parameters.

Wait?  Do I want a hunk of a android to be the male version of a maid?  My virtual ladies can have one if I turn a male Genesis 9 character into an android,  just not Joey or Donnie.  Lol!

IMG_2466.jpeg
    450 x 344 - 29K
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited July 17

Complaint: My thumb is more or less healed, but since the two slots I cut into it have filled in with scar tissue, there's currently no nerve connections inside there, so it's pretty uncomfortable to use that thumb because it feels like there are two large wooden match sticks under the skin... together with the lack of feeling on the tip of my thumb, it's gotten old real fast... but on the plus side the scar is shaped like a Parasaurolophus skull... sorta.

Non-compliant: I really don't have any... non-compliants

So I guess I'll make a secondary complaint: I sat down to eat my lunch and look up some stuff... I had a big glass of water I was determined to drink, as I realized a few years ago, I never get thirsty... for whatever reason I can go ridiculous amounts of time with drinking and I've decided it's not only not normal, but it's bad for those squishy bits inside me that are supposed to do important things like keep me alive and stuff... so I've been trying to make myself drink water and be all hydrated like a good little homosapien (incidentally, that's a word Apple's spellcheck doesn't recognize... it's insisting that's not a word)... (anyhow)... So I put my big glass of water on the crowded coffee table and was eating and drinking and aside from making sure there was food going in my mouth and the glass was still upright, I really wasn't looking... at some point I noticed my water wasn't as cold as it should be, but being it was me that noticed that, I kept drinking... I drank quite a bit before I noticed I wasn't drinking from the glass I placed on the table, but one that was probably there from the previous night... one that contained a novelty drowned moth carcass... actually a decently large one... how the hell I didn't drink the moth, I don't know, but in my defense I burned my tongue on the leftovers I microwaved so I didn't notice how gritty the water was... (wing scales?)... Also worth noting... my house is like the one from the M. Night Shyamalan movie "Signs"... there are frickin' glasses of water everywhere... my wife and both daughters leave them all over... Like if water sensitive aliens ever attack, we are set... they are going to so melt. But anyway, apparently I placed my glass right next to the glass of mothade, which was why I didn't notice... that and I'm stupid.

Whatever... don't drink moth infused water... it's kinda gross... actually it's not as gross as kombucha*, but maybe it'll catch on and everyone will be drinking $6 bottles of Moth Infused Power Water Plus soon... I'd definitely recommend refrigerating it though, because it's rather nasty at room temperature.

I actually had an actual funny story, injury related too, but I can't really tell it because it was due to me carrying a log on my shoulder which scratched the side of my head... actually, the flexible cartilaginous rim that protrudes from the side and aids in channeling sound waves into the auditory canal... that thing... it was nothing bad, but it started a whole side story when I went out because I didn't notice there was anything wrong. 

Well... I'm gonna go and see if I can make Moth Water Plus a thing... I hear good things about moth water... lots of healing power and if Red Bull gives you wings, this stuff definitely will... legs and antennas too probably... There a whole moth in every bottle of Moth Water Plus!... maybe... I dunno... it depends on how hard it is to collect moths... I could definitely do earwigs... I've got TONS of earwigs in my yard!... Earwig Water Plus!... Its Got Butt Pincers! ...I'm not sure what the butt pincers are called so they are "butt pincers" now...

(3 minutes later) Apparently they are called "Cercus" or "Forceps" or "Pincers" depending on who you want to believe... "Cercus" seems sciencie... "Forceps" sounds like a medical tool you use for yanking organs out with... a "Pincers" is lacking... So I'm going with "Butt Pincers".

Well... I'm gonna go see how many earwigs it takes to fill a 16 ounce bottle... 

Bye.

*This is not an anti-kombucha statement, kombucha is probably great... I see still see it in stores and maybe the five or six times people convinced me to drink some, my tongue was having a bad day and lied to my brain about the taste... If you enjoy it, keep drinking it, it's probably good for you and if you like the taste all the better.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,769

Do you want 1950s sci-fi horror movies? Because that is how you get 1950s sci-fi horror movies.

Nath said:

Do you want 1950s sci-fi horror movies? Because that is how you get 1950s sci-fi horror movies.

They usually involve atomic radiation... I'm not sure I can irradiate the earwigs enough for sufficient mutagenic properties to steep out of the earwig liquid... but that'd be cool... 

• NathNath Posts: 2,769

Worth a try!

I need to finish cleaning the kitchen so I can watch jeopardy.  I also want to play on my computer.  Got a new Genesis 8 character and a new Genesis 9 character to render.

Well, I looked for some earwigs, but all I found was one really decrepit looking one who wasn't even wearing a hat... actually he may have left it in the grill... every time I turn on my grill it spontaneously generates earwigs... I guess they are born in fire like salamanders... as per medieval conjecture.

I wasn't grilling earwigs though... no, apparently they have an apartment under my grill and don't like it when it's 500°F (260°Kilodegrees... or whatever metric temperature is called these days)... so they run for their lives when it's on... also, probably because they heard the story about my old grill and the wasp nest and the explosion that occurred... it was totally my fault, but the wasps had it coming because they stung me for wanting to grill pork chops...

But anyway... I went around looking for earwigs because I was genuinely going to do something strange based on my previous litany of boredom and frustration, which I still think is a very viable product concept, but alas there were no earwigs to be found... not under my firewood collection, not under the saw horse stack, not on the inside of the scrap wood shed, not in the old pallets in the woods... not even a single one in Earwig Town or the tiny earwig dive bar in back of Monster Hill... I'd explain that, but I feel like I've probably mentioned it before and if you don't know about it, it's probably more fun that you use your imagination than I explain it... but anyway, there were no earwigs around except for the really decrepit one without a hat and I wasn't going to bother basing a whole schtick on one earwig... besides I was grilling some large mammal flesh and I wasn't going to go chasing after him and risk my mammal being charred.

Its really weird that there we no earwigs around because normally they are like 20% of the biomass around here... (the other 80% is spiders... lots and lots of spiders)... I'd do Spider Water, but for the most part I have a truce with the spiders and spiders are better pan fried with a little paprika and sage... despite the truce, there is one spider I've been beefing with... she keeps making a web over my shop door and every morning I forget she's been doing that and I walk right into it... she's very ambitious, and several times as I've walked into the web, I've noticed her dangling on the side rubbing her little hands together like a fuzzy eight armed Snidely Whiplash, anticipating the impending feast... she keep getting away, but I'm going to get her eventually and relocate her to Earwig Town.

Well, that's all... I'm going to go eat my grilled mammal now.