Wanting to make 3Delight look more photorealistic

13»

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited February 6

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

also the parameter which is important here for your Shaded Haven render is "Specular 2 Rougness" right

I guess you could say it's one of the most important properties for defining a material. Glass and metals are not as rough as natural stone, for example.

and what does "Max Ray Depth" mean

The maximum number of ray bounces is limited by this value. In the classic scenario with parallell mirrors, you will not get more bouncing reflections than specified here.

i'm also a bit confused by what this text means

If maximum trace depth in the 3delight render settings is lower, the shader will use the limits set in the
    render settings. Vice versa, if maximum trace depth in the render settings is higher, it will use the maximum
    depth set in the material.

Right, I'll try to explain: Every surface can use their own trace settings if you wish. Example: You could use a higher trace depth on reflective surfaces and a lower for fabric and other very rough surfaces. (The same goes for Irradiance samples, saturation, tonemapping and temperature). This is all done in the surface editor, and allows you to manually optimize your scenes for faster rendering, if needed. As always, quality vs rendertime. So, if you set trace depth for a surface to 16, but in rendersettings you have specified 12, 12 is what you get. if you have specified 16 in rendersettings but 12 in surface settings, 12 is what you get.

Now, have a look at the awe Environment Light. This provides a very easy way of adjusting all this globally, instead of having to type in values manually for each surface. Simply go to the Override section of the light and enable overrides for Irradiance(shadow)samples, SSS samples, aweHair samples, diffuse depth, specular depth, metal depth, hair depth (for the aweHair shader), type in the values you want to use, done. If you still would like to use a different value on some surface, you can override the aweLight overrides in the surface editor.

This is how I do it, so I used the aweEnvironment light overrides in the ShadedHaven scene. Feel free to use the overrides or disable them and set them per surface instead! And again, if your rendersettings values are smaller, that's what will be used for the final render output.

And a general note: Wowie's default settings do make sense. Raising these numbers a lot will not automagically make the render photoreal. It's also very much down to the quality/resolution of textures, the topology, the lighting, the environment etc. A metal object in a dark room will be dark, no matter the number of bounces.

Hope this helps!

hmm interesting, maybe the reason that my render didn't look good was because i wasn't aware of the overriding settings of the environment light in your Shaded Haven scene

It's a complex shader so you'll have to go little by little, totally understandable! 

Regarding the aweSurface user guide - I have it in front of me now and it has a long list, covering all the properties. It has 31 pages.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • desfendesfen Posts: 75

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

also the parameter which is important here for your Shaded Haven render is "Specular 2 Rougness" right

I guess you could say it's one of the most important properties for defining a material. Glass and metals are not as rough as natural stone, for example.

and what does "Max Ray Depth" mean

The maximum number of ray bounces is limited by this value. In the classic scenario with parallell mirrors, you will not get more bouncing reflections than specified here.

i'm also a bit confused by what this text means

If maximum trace depth in the 3delight render settings is lower, the shader will use the limits set in the
    render settings. Vice versa, if maximum trace depth in the render settings is higher, it will use the maximum
    depth set in the material.

Right, I'll try to explain: Every surface can use their own trace settings if you wish. Example: You could use a higher trace depth on reflective surfaces and a lower for fabric and other very rough surfaces. (The same goes for Irradiance samples, saturation, tonemapping and temperature). This is all done in the surface editor, and allows you to manually optimize your scenes for faster rendering, if needed. As always, quality vs rendertime. So, if you set trace depth for a surface to 16, but in rendersettings you have specified 12, 12 is what you get. if you have specified 16 in rendersettings but 12 in surface settings, 12 is what you get.

Now, have a look at the awe Environment Light. This provides a very easy way of adjusting all this globally, instead of having to type in values manually for each surface. Simply go to the Override section of the light and enable overrides for Irradiance(shadow)samples, SSS samples, aweHair samples, diffuse depth, specular depth, metal depth, hair depth (for the aweHair shader), type in the values you want to use, done. If you still would like to use a different value on some surface, you can override the aweLight overrides in the surface editor.

This is how I do it, so I used the aweEnvironment light overrides in the ShadedHaven scene. Feel free to use the overrides or disable them and set them per surface instead! And again, if your rendersettings values are smaller, that's what will be used for the final render output.

And a general note: Wowie's default settings do make sense. Raising these numbers a lot will not automagically make the render photoreal. It's also very much down to the quality/resolution of textures, the topology, the lighting, the environment etc. A metal object in a dark room will be dark, no matter the number of bounces.

Hope this helps!

hmm interesting, maybe the reason that my render didn't look good was because i wasn't aware of the overriding settings of the environment light in your Shaded Haven scene

It's a complex shader so you'll have to go little by little, totally understandable! 

Regarding the aweSurface user guide - I have it in front of me now and it has a long list, covering all the properties. It has 31 pages.

hmm yeah i'm looking at that document too 

edited February 7

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

additionally your series of demo renders looks really good. i tried rendering your Shaded Haven scene again with Max Specular Bounce Depth turned to zero and unfortunately it looked quite not good, i was wondering could you teach me how to modify the Shaded Haven surfaces properly, thanks

That's because you literally turn off specular/reflection with a bounce depth of 0, just like setting diffuse depth to 0 will disable indirect light (Global Illumination).

yeah, my idea is that the walls are meant to be diffuse and that more specularity will make them look "fake". and in your series of demo renders, for some of them the RD was 0 and i thought they ended up looking pretty good. and so i'm trying to replicate that effect with the surfaces of the Shaded Haven

In that case, simply dial down specular/reflection on the "offending" surfaces or simply turn off the specular lobe for pure diffuse light! 

oh hmm, because you said that you're not allowed to share modified versions of the maps, and so i was wondering if you could teach me how to properly convert the surfaces of the Shaded Haven. and this is related to some of your demo render scenes looking pretty good

and sorry where's the specular lobe located

and also, do the values of Specular 2 Strength and Specular 2 Roughness affect the result even if the setting is RD 0

and sorry one more thing, in the Surfaces Editor menu, what's the difference between Specular 2 and Reflection 2

i'm guessing that Specular 2 is for Specular 2 Strength and Reflection 2 is for Specular 2 Roughness

Post edited by desfen on

for example in this awesurface render i'm really digging the photorealism of the walls in the background

I tried this render, and I think most of the surfaces look fine, but i think that the planters and the fountain look a little off. And I guess the fountain is probably the worst offender lol

image_2024-02-07_191009450.png
    700 x 438 - 452K
    edited February 7

desfen said:

oh hmm, because you said that you're not allowed to share modified versions of the maps, and so i was wondering if you could teach me how to properly convert the surfaces of the Shaded Haven. and this is related to some of your demo render scenes looking pretty good

Don't know how to respond, really... to me the whole scene is properly converted. I have no desire to spend hours or days trying to make this particular scene look awesome, that I leave to you. I tried to explain to you that this scene is very aged, it is not set up for a PBR workflow, or even a linear workflow, for that matter. It does not have all the controlmaps that a PBR metallic roughness - workflow requires. (typically roughness maps, normal maps, displacement maps, specular maps, bump maps) I can't take on the task of teaching you  how to create them, you need to find tutorials online, or ask someone else. Still learning the trade, myself.

I can't possibly know what kind of resources you have available, so I provided you with a very simple sunny outdoor type light set with a generic FLAT blue sky color. The result is rather flat, obviously. Replacing the generic color with a good sky texture would be the first step towards a more dynamic looking render. Change light direction, change light temperature, change intensity, add lights, in short, experiment!

Still, I have the feeling you want to turn it into an indoor scene, which it is not. Maybe put it aside for a while and just play around with DS primitives, like I did in those demo renders? As I told you, there were no maps whatsoever involved, just the default aweSurface with various generic diffuse colors. I had my reasons to use a spotlight, which I explained to you, but suggest you use wowie's lightpresets instead (The arealight planes and the aweEnvironment light, which always should be present in your awe scenes.)

and also, do the values of Specular 2 Strength and Specular 2 Roughness affect the result even if the setting is RD 0

and sorry one more thing, in the Surfaces Editor menu, what's the difference between Specular 2 and Reflection 2

i'm guessing that Specular 2 is for Specular 2 Strength and Reflection 2 is for Specular 2 Roughness

There are two specular lobes, specular 1 and specular 2. Or you could call them layers or channels. Specular 2 is your primary spec. layer, enabled by default, with a roughness value of 1% and a specular strenght of 100%. Each layer has their own dedicated roughness- and strength sliders + buttons for turning on/off specular highlights and reflections separately. (and slots for inserting specular- and roughness maps, anisotropy controls accepting maps). Roughness/Strength sliders will affect both highlights and reflections equally. In a PBR workflow, both specular and reflections should be enabled. BUT 3DL, being a biased renderer, allows for usage of only highlights or only reflections, should that be required. To clarify: Reflections are just that, reflections in a mirror, in metals, in shiny surfaces, whereas specular highlights are a way of simulating very high intensity reflections stemming from lightsources like the sun, light bulbs etc. If a light source's specular rays are bouncing off a glossy surface and seen by the camera, you'll get a bright highlight on that surface. This feature (having separate controls for highlights and reflections) can be useful in many ways. Example: You have a background forrest with a million glossy leaves. Using only highlights but disabling reflections can cut rendertimes significantly. Or you have a car with a high gloss paint = very sharp reflections, but want the highlights to be rougher, use reflections only with a low roughness on one lobe and specular only on the other lobe with a higher roughness. Or you can simply blend two types of roughness/strength by blending the spec1 and spec 2. Be careful though, as they are additive.

oh i see, and is it that Specular 2 is for Specular 2 Strength and Reflection 2 is for Specular 2 Roughness

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Don't know how to respond, really... to me the whole scene is properly converted. I have no desire to spend hours or days trying to make this particular scene look awesome, that I leave to you. I tried to explain to you that this scene is very aged, it is not set up for a PBR workflow, or even a linear workflow, for that matter. It does not have all the controlmaps that a PBR metallic roughness - workflow requires. (typically roughness maps, normal maps, displacement maps, specular maps, bump maps) I can't take on the task of teaching you  how to create them, you need to find tutorials online, or ask someone else. Still learning the trade, myself.

I can't possibly know what kind of resources you have available, so I provided you with a very simple sunny outdoor type light set with a generic FLAT blue sky color. The result is rather flat, obviously. Replacing the generic color with a good sky texture would be the first step towards a more dynamic looking render. Change light direction, change light temperature, change intensity, add lights, in short, experiment!

Still, I have the feeling you want to turn it into an indoor scene, which it is not. Maybe put it aside for a while and just play around with DS primitives, like I did in those demo renders? As I told you, there were no maps whatsoever involved, just the default aweSurface with various generic diffuse colors. I had my reasons to use a spotlight, which I explained to you, but suggest you use wowie's lightpresets instead (The arealight planes and the aweEnvironment light, which always should be present in your awe scenes.)

There are two specular lobes, specular 1 and specular 2. Or you could call them layers or channels. Specular 2 is your primary spec. layer, enabled by default, with a roughness value of 1% and a specular strenght of 100%. Each layer has their own dedicated roughness- and strength sliders + buttons for turning on/off specular highlights and reflections separately. (and slots for inserting specular- and roughness maps, anisotropy controls accepting maps). Roughness/Strength sliders will affect both highlights and reflections equally. In a PBR workflow, both specular and reflections should be enabled. BUT 3DL, being a biased renderer, allows for usage of only highlights or only reflections, should that be required. To clarify: Reflections are just that, reflections in a mirror, in metals, in shiny surfaces, whereas specular highlights are a way of simulating very high intensity reflections stemming from lightsources like the sun, light bulbs etc. If a light source's specular rays are bouncing off a glossy surface and seen by the camera, you'll get a bright highlight on that surface. This feature (having separate controls for highlights and reflections) can be useful in many ways. Example: You have a background forrest with a million glossy leaves. Using only highlights but disabling reflections can cut rendertimes significantly. Or you have a car with a high gloss paint = very sharp reflections, but want the highlights to be rougher, use reflections only with a low roughness on one lobe and specular only on the other lobe with a higher roughness. Or you can simply blend two types of roughness/strength by blending the spec1 and spec 2. Be careful though, as they are additive.

oh i see, so do the surfaces in your Shaded Haven scene behave identically to the primitives in your series of demo renders

and which directions does the aweEnvironment light send light in

also, how do i modify your outdoor blue sky spotlight 

desfen said:

oh i see, and is it that Specular 2 is for Specular 2 Strength and Reflection 2 is for Specular 2 Roughness

No! In the above post I just said: Roughness/Strength sliders will affect both highlights and reflections equally. 

English is not my native language, so I'll try to put it differently: The Specular 2 layer, which is used to add reflectance to surfaces, consists of two componenets:Specular and Reflections. These two can be turned on/off independently with the on/off buttons. Both components share the specular strength and specular roughness values, set for Specular 2.

desfen said:

oh i see, so do the surfaces in your Shaded Haven scene behave identically to the primitives in your series of demo renders

No! They don't look the same, do they...

It does not emit light, it's a master controller for the lights in your scene (see its light section), the environment sphere (see its environment section) and qualitysettings/samples/overrides (see its overrides section).

There is no spotlight. There's the environment sphere, with the generic blue color, parented to the aweEnvironment light. You select (in the scene tab) the sphere and change settings in the surface editor. The diffuse color slot is used to load textures (skydome images). It uses wowie's EnvironmentSphere Shader, which is a simple ambient emissive shader, so it emits light by default. (You can turn it off by disabling occlusion/indirect light)

The direct sunlight comes from an emissive plane, parented to a pivot point, which you rotate to change the light direction. To edit the light from the emissive plane, select it and make your changes in the surface editor.

edited February 8

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

No! In the above post I just said: Roughness/Strength sliders will affect both highlights and reflections equally. 

English is not my native language, so I'll try to put it differently: The Specular 2 layer, which is used to add reflectance to surfaces, consists of two componenets:Specular and Reflections. These two can be turned on/off independently with the on/off buttons. Both components share the specular strength and specular roughness values, set for Specular 2.

ah i see, thank you, i get it now yes 

and regarding the three statuette render by wowie, how do you think one can achieve the realistic look of those walls in the background

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 8

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

and for the three statuette render by wowie, how do you think one can achieve the look of those walls in the background

Find yourself a nice indoors set in the store and convert it to awe, Light it according to your needs, find the right camera angle and hit renderlaugh.  

Jokes aside, I don't know what he used, but it's a nice render, he obviously knows his own shaders;)

edited February 8

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

No! They don't look the same, do they...

It does not emit light, it's a master controller for the lights in your scene (see its light section), the environment sphere (see its environment section) and qualitysettings/samples/overrides (see its overrides section).

There is no spotlight. There's the environment sphere, with the generic blue color, parented to the aweEnvironment light. You select (in the scene tab) the sphere and change settings in the surface editor. The diffuse color slot is used to load textures (skydome images). It uses wowie's EnvironmentSphere Shader, which is a simple ambient emissive shader, so it emits light by default. (You can turn it off by disabling occlusion/indirect light)

The direct sunlight comes from an emissive plane, parented to a pivot point, which you rotate to change the light direction. To edit the light from the emissive plane, select it and make your changes in the surface editor.

oh i see, i think i get it now

and so the surfaces in your SH scene don't really behave identically to those primitives, how should i modify them such that they behave near-identically to the primitives?

and in order to achieve the photorealistic look of the background walls in wowie's three statuettes render, you suggested converting an indoors set to aweSurface, and i think you've already done that for your SH .duf?

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 8

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

and for the three statuette render by wowie, how do you think one can achieve the look of those walls in the background

Find yourself a nice indoors set in the store and convert it to awe, Light it according to your needs, find the right camera angle and hit renderlaugh.  

Jokes aside, I don't know what he used, but it's a nice render, he obviously knows his own shaders;)

oh haha

though do you think that you'll be able to achieve a similar photorealistic look with wall surfaces

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 8

desfen said:

and so the surfaces in your SH scene don't really behave identically to those primitives, how should i modify them such that they behave near-identically to the primitives?

I guess what you mean is how to restore the surfaces to the aweSurface default state? Select  all surfaces of the Pergola, remove all maps, alt/option-click on a parameter to restore to the default value, repeat for each parameter I altered, the altered values should be white, while default values are grey. Or maybe check "Currently used" in the surface editor...should display every parameter I altered.

Or go to File/Create/New Primitive/primitive plane (or whatever you wan't to use). Select it in the scene tab AND in the surface editor, apply aweSurface, save the surface as a shader preset, apply the shaderpreset to all the surfaces of the Pergola.

and in order to achieve the photorealistic look of the background walls in wowie's three statuettes render, you suggested converting an indoors set to aweSurface, and i think you've already done that for your SH .duf?

What I meant was wowie used a set I'm not familiar with, but it looks like an appartment type of set. It certainly isn't a Pergola with open architecture and bright sunshine coming in...

PS: You really need to get familiar with the basic functions of DAZ Studio...tons of tutorials out there...

edited February 8

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

I guess what you mean is how to restore the surfaces to the aweSurface default state? Select  all surfaces of the Pergola, remove all maps, alt/option-click on a parameter to restore to the default value, repeat for each parameter I altered, the altered values should be white, while default values are grey. Or maybe check "Currently used" in the surface editor...should display every parameter I altered.

Or go to File/Create/New Primitive/primitive plane (or whatever you wan't to use). Select it in the scene tab AND in the surface editor, apply aweSurface, save the surface as a shader preset, apply the shaderpreset to all the surfaces of the Pergola.

What I meant was wowie used a set I'm not familiar with, but it looks like an appartment type of set. It certainly isn't a Pergola with open architecture and bright sunshine coming in...

PS: You really need to get familiar with the basic functions of DAZ Studio...tons of tutorials out there...

oh i see. so i guess that the primitives in your series of demo renders were in the aweSurface default state?

and usually what were the parameters which you altered, and what kind of maps are you referring to, is it like bump maps, normal maps (controlmaps, roughness maps, displacement maps, specular maps etc.)

and if you wanted to achieve a similar photorealistic look like the background wall surfaces in wowie's render, what kinda settings would you apply to the surfaces

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 9

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

oh i see. so i guess that the primitives in your series of demo renders were in the aweSurface default state?

Correct! Except for the diffuse colors. The default color is pure white RGB255,255,255)

and usually what were the parameters which you altered, and what kind of maps are you referring to, is it like bump maps, normal maps (controlmaps, roughness maps, displacement maps, specular maps etc.)

Can't recall exactly, spec2 strength and roughness, bumpstrength, displacement strength...you need to examine the scene yourself. Yes, diffuse color maps in particular, if you want untextured surfaces. Also make it a good habit not to use extreme values like pure white or pure black, as there are no such in real life or in a PBR workflow. I'm sure wowie mentions it somewhere in the userguide.

and if you wanted to achieve a similar photorealistic look like the background wall surfaces in wowie's render, what kinda settings would you apply to the surfaces

Well, assuming it's wall paper and not a painted surface, I'd start with wowie's fabric preset and go from there, basically set IoR to something around 1.3, specular strength 25% with a 50% roughness and a GlossyFresnel roughness of about 70%?! A painted (but still rather matte) surface would have a slightly higher IoR and smaller roughness values. Also, I'd probably want to add a diffuse texture atleast, with a pattern or some color variation, preferably tileable. Probably also a height/bump/displace- or nomalmap to give it some depth.

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Correct! Except for the diffuse colors. The default color is pure white RGB255,255,255)

Can't recall exactly, spec2 strength and roughness, bumpstrength, displacement strength...you need to examine the scene yourself. Yes, diffuse color maps in particular, if you want untextured surfaces. Also make it a good habit not to use extreme values like pure white or pure black, as there are no such in real life or in a PBR workflow. I'm sure wowie mentions it somewhere in the userguide.

Well, assuming it's wall paper and not a painted surface, I'd start with wowie's fabric preset and go from there, basically set IoR to something around 1.3, specular strength 25% with a 50% roughness and a GlossyFresnel roughness of about 70%?! A painted (but still rather matte) surface would have a slightly higher IoR and smaller roughness values. Also, I'd probably want to add a diffuse texture atleast, with a pattern or some color variation, preferably tileable. Probably also a height/bump/displace- or nomalmap to give it some depth.

and sorry how do i apply aweSurface to a new primitive

and do you mean that i should remove diffuse color maps in particular if i want untextured surfaces

and i'm not sure about assuming whether its a wallpaper or a painted surface, let's say that you just want to replicate the look of the background walls as seen in the three statuettte render, what kinda settings would you apply to the wall surfaces

edited February 9

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

and sorry how do i apply aweSurface to a new primitive

To add to what I said, find wowie's AWE Shading Kit presets in your Content Library/Shader Presets/wowie/AWE Shading Kit. Find the aweSurface icon, double click it.

and do you mean that i should remove diffuse color maps in particular if i want untextured surfaces

What I said!

and i'm not sure about assuming whether its a wallpaper or a painted surface, let's say that you just want to replicate the look of the background walls as seen in the three statuettte render, what kinda settings would you apply to the wall surfaces

Look, I don't want to repeat everything I say, endlessly. I suggest you start reading my posts more carefully!

PS: I don't mean to come across as rude, just wish you would check out some tutorials on how to use D/S basic functions like applying shaders, textures etc. Hope you understand!