• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

@desfen and whoever might be interested

Made a rough conversion of Shaded Haven. It's ready to render...and to modify, obviously;) I just picked a generic blue for the sky, so there is no texture, just load one of your own. (It will of course alter the lighting)

And I used a PT area light as sunlight, so, if you have installed the AWE Shading kit correctly (and Shaded Haven obviously), it should load without errors, I hope...

If you decide to use the scene and something is wrong with it, let me know! 

wow that's nice, thanks so much for the help

by the way for diffuse reflections, is there a way to increase the number of reflected rays for each diffuse reflection

because each diffuse reflection by right reflects out a countless number of rays in countless different directions

Yes of course, but the word diffuse reflection is a bit confusing, I'd prefer to use diffuse depth or diffuse bounce depth. Because with awe you can set diffuse- and specular/reflection- depth separately. Select the aweEnvironment and go to parameters/overrides. Make sure the diffuse depth overide is enabled, set the depth to whatever you want. If you set it to zero there will be no diffuse ray bouncing. A number of 3 is sufficient, due to wowie's optimizing, and you won't see much difference if you increase it a step or two. And going over 6 will be overkill and just make for long rendertimes, in my opinion. But go ahead and experiment:) And use the manual as a reference! These processes are described in detail with render examples in there, along with some tips and tricks.

I'm happy to help if you run into trouble!

oh i see, sorry, i mean when a ray of light bounces off diffusely, it splits into many different rays in different directions, and i wanna increase that number of rays

and thanks man

also i'm currently rendering and the percentage of progress doesn't appear to be proportional to the time taken, it seems to be taking increasing amounts of time to make each additional percent of progress, is that normal

Are you using progressive render mode? If so, it does 4 renderpasses, usually reaching 74% quite fast, but the last pass may take longer to finish. If rendering in non progressive mode (recommended for final renders) it will do two passes, the first uses true ray caching, so will usually be very fast, and the second will be slow, as there's a lot of additional calculating. 

What hardware are you using, and what kind of rendertimes are we talking about? 3Delight supports an unlimited number of cores, the more the merriersmiley

AND, are you using the scripted rendering with the raytracer final script? Don't use the standard renderer, it uses a completely different rendering modul (REYES) and is NOT suited to handle pathtracing.

PS The Ivy plants use opacitymaps that will cost rendertime, 3DL is not great at handling opacity, so, while focussing on walls and floor, you can hide them in the scene tab (expand the pergola, there is an Ivy bone that can be easily hidden using the eye icon), and make them visible for the final render!

yeah i am using progressive, i guess that explains it, thanks

and oh i see, interesting, what's this opacity about

is it possible to remove the ivy plants from the scene entirely, and i'm also wondering about increasing the number of rays branching off from each diffuse bounce

Opacity maps are (usually) black and white textures, used to mask out/make invisible parts of the geometry, where black will be invisible and white willl be opaque. This process costs processing power. 

You could probably use the geometry editor to remove the Ivy, but that won't be needed, as, if you hide them, they won't get passed on to the renderer and won't affect rendertimes.

...also, if you select a surface, for example the Ivy leaves, and in the surface editor scroll down to the bottom, you find the visibility section. Here you can turn on/off visibility for camera, occlusion/indirect light, reflections and shadows. Meaning you could make the leaves invisible but still contribute to global illlumination, show in reflective surfaces and cast shadows. Or you could make them visible to camera but have them not show up in reflections, etc. Turning off all four visibility buttons is effectively the same as hiding them in the scene pane. The surface would still show in viewport but not in render.

• desfendesfen Posts: 75

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

Made a rough conversion of Shaded Haven. It's ready to render...and to modify, obviously;) I just picked a generic blue for the sky, so there is no texture, just load one of your own. (It will of course alter the lighting)

And I used a PT area light as sunlight, so, if you have installed the AWE Shading kit correctly (and Shaded Haven obviously), it should load without errors, I hope...

by the way for diffuse reflections, is there a way to increase the number of reflected rays for each diffuse reflection

because each diffuse reflection by right reflects out a countless number of rays in countless different directions

Yes of course, but the word diffuse reflection is a bit confusing, I'd prefer to use diffuse depth or diffuse bounce depth. Because with awe you can set diffuse- and specular/reflection- depth separately. Select the aweEnvironment and go to parameters/overrides. Make sure the diffuse depth overide is enabled, set the depth to whatever you want. If you set it to zero there will be no diffuse ray bouncing. A number of 3 is sufficient, due to wowie's optimizing, and you won't see much difference if you increase it a step or two. And going over 6 will be overkill and just make for long rendertimes, in my opinion. But go ahead and experiment:) And use the manual as a reference! These processes are described in detail with render examples in there, along with some tips and tricks.

oh i see, sorry, i mean when a ray of light bounces off diffusely, it splits into many different rays in different directions, and i wanna increase that number of rays

and thanks man

also i'm currently rendering and the percentage of progress doesn't appear to be proportional to the time taken, it seems to be taking increasing amounts of time to make each additional percent of progress, is that normal

Are you using progressive render mode? If so, it does 4 renderpasses, usually reaching 74% quite fast, but the last pass may take longer to finish. If rendering in non progressive mode (recommended for final renders) it will do two passes, the first uses true ray caching, so will usually be very fast, and the second will be slow, as there's a lot of additional calculating. 

What hardware are you using, and what kind of rendertimes are we talking about? 3Delight supports an unlimited number of cores, the more the merriersmiley

AND, are you using the scripted rendering with the raytracer final script? Don't use the standard renderer, it uses a completely different rendering modul (REYES) and is NOT suited to handle pathtracing.

PS The Ivy plants use opacitymaps that will cost rendertime, 3DL is not great at handling opacity, so, while focussing on walls and floor, you can hide them in the scene tab (expand the pergola, there is an Ivy bone that can be easily hidden using the eye icon), and make them visible for the final render!

is it possible to remove the ivy plants from the scene entirely, and i'm also wondering about increasing the number of rays branching off from each diffuse bounce

Opacity maps are (usually) black and white textures, used to mask out/make invisible parts of the geometry, where black will be invisible and white willl be opaque. This process costs processing power. 

You could probably use the geometry editor to remove the Ivy, but that won't be needed, as, if you hide them, they won't get passed on to the renderer and won't affect rendertimes.

ah i see, thanks

and i'm interested in whether increasing the number of rays branching off could improve the photorealism

edited January 22

desfen said:

ah i see, thanks

and i'm interested in whether increasing the number of rays branching off could improve the photorealism

Well, as I mentioned somewhere, upping the diffuse depth to 6+ will only result in long rendertimes with very little visual gain. IMHO 3 is a good number. Try setting it to 0 to turn off GI/bouncelight and see the difference.

Do note that Shaded Haven is an old environment with low resolution textures and lacking necessary controlmaps to take fulll advantage of the options available in the shaders. To step it up towards realism you would have to know how to make those maps in an image editor. Or replace the original maps with PBR textures (lots of free ones online, PolyHaven is good).

It's much easier to get good results converting IRay products, as they usually ship with the necessary maps (metallicity, roughness, bump/displacement, normal maps) to make them look physically plausiblesmiley

And lighting is where it all starts. The light setup I provided was just a rough starting point, you might want to adjust intensity levels to your liking, test various skydome textures, rotate the aweEnvironment around the y-axis to change light direction and so on. (The emitter and dome environment sphere is parented to the aweEnvironment, but you can unparent the emitter pivot point and rotate it independently if you wish.

The environment sphere is using the environment shader, which is a fairly simple ambient emissive shader. But it has tons of adjustment options (in the surface editor pane) for finetuning the appearance and light. It also has the same visibility options I described earlier. So turning off camera visibility will make it invisible but still emit light and show in reflective surfaces. Turning off indirect light/occlusion will turn off the diffuse light emitted, but it will still produce reflections, unless you turn them off. So use the indirect light/occlusion toggle to see how much impact the env. sphere has on the whole scene.

This also means you could use one skytexture for camera visibility and another for lighting and a third for reflectionslaugh

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

and thanks man

ah i see, thanks

Well, as I mentioned somewhere, upping the diffuse depth to 6+ will only result in long rendertimes with very little visual gain. IMHO 3 is a good number. Try setting it to 0 to turn off GI/bouncelight and see the difference.

Do note that Shaded Haven is an old environment with low resolution textures and lacking necessary controlmaps to take fulll advantage of the options available in the shaders. To step it up towards realism you would have to know how to make those maps in an image editor. Or replace the original maps with PBR textures (lots of free ones online, PolyHaven is good).

It's much easier to get good results converting IRay products, as they usually ship with the necessary maps (metallicity, roughness, bump/displacement, normal maps) to make them look physically plausiblesmiley

And lighting is where it all starts. The light setup I provided was just a rough starting point, you might want to adjust intensity levels to your liking, test various skydome textures, rotate the aweEnvironment around the y-axis to change light direction and so on. (The emitter and dome is parented to the aweEnvironment, but you can unparent the emitter pivot point and rotate it independently if you wish.

hmm, sorry maybe not sure if we're referring to the same concept with regards to the diffuse shading

and oh i see, earlier you converted some of the textures and maps of Shaded Haven right

edited January 22

...so I made a series of demo-renders, much easier than trying to explain;)

There's the aweEnvironment with a pitchblack env. sphere that does not contribute to the lighting, a ds standard spotlight with pure white light, physical falloff and raytraced shadows, aimed at the red plane but slightly overlapping to partly illuminate the bigger green plane. Also a ground plane and a sphere with an almost white diffuse color. Diffuse roughness is 0 on everything, so pure Lambert diffuse here:

Diffuse Depth 3, Reflection depth 2 (wowie's defaults)

DD0 RD0 = no bounce light no reflections, only primary rays

DD1 RD0

DD3 RD0

DD16 RD0

DD3 RD 16

My conclusion: The difference between DD3 and DD16 is smaller than one would think, which means wowie did a great job under the hood, optimizing his stuff for speed. 

edited January 22

desfen said:

hmm, sorry maybe not sure if we're referring to the same concept with regards to the diffuse shading

Ok, please explain;)

and oh i see, earlier you converted some of the textures and maps of Shaded Haven right

I used the original maps best I could, since I'm not allowed to share modified versions of the maps. I think I used the bumpmaps for the wood parts as roughnessmaps, I inverted them using the "invert roughness" button, found right above the visibility buttons in the surface editor. Not optimal but better than nothing;)

Sven Dullah said:

There's the aweEnvironment with a pitchblack env. sphere that does not contribute to the lighting, a ds standard spotlight with pure white light, physical falloff and raytraced shadows, aimed at the red plane but slightly overlapping to partly illuminate the bigger green plane. Also a ground plane and a sphere with an almost white diffuse color. Diffuse roughness is 0 on everything, so pure Lambert diffuse here:

DD1 RD0

DD3 RD0

DD16 RD0

DD3 RD 16

My conclusion: The difference between DD3 and DD16 is smaller than one would think, which means wowie did a great job under the hood, optimizing his stuff for speed. 

nice, these renders look pretty good

how do the surface materials compare to the one used for the central stone wall in your Shaded Haven render, the wall with the tap in it

edited January 22

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Ok, please explain;)

I used the original maps best I could, since I'm not allowed to share modified versions of the maps. I think I used the bumpmaps for the wood parts as roughnessmaps, I inverted them using the "invert roughness" button, found right above the visibility buttons in the surface editor. Not optimal but better than nothing;)

oh i see, maybe we could go to DMs. and i mean that when a ray bounces off a diffuse surface, it splits into multiple rays going in multiple directions, and i'm wondering if that number of split rays can be modified

Post edited by desfen on

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

DD1 RD0

DD3 RD0

DD16 RD0

DD3 RD 16

nice, these renders look pretty good

how do the surface materials compare to the one used for the central stone wall in your Shaded Haven render, the wall with the tap in it

and also, the surface that's being used for the green wall in the test render, how do i apply it to every surface in the Shaded Haven

desfen said:

The surfaces in the testscene were just the aweSurface default with a generic diffuse color using the color picker, and the default specular roughness is 1%, with 100% reflection strength, (I dialed back a bit on reflections here). The SH stonewall I set to maybe 30% roughness and maybe dialled in some diffuse roughness too. 0% roughness equals perfectly sharp reflections, which should be used only for extremely glossy surfaces like mirrors, smooth metal and glass/water. Most surfaces use values arond 15-50%, think asphalt, stone walls, sand, fabrics etc.

And then there's the Glossy Freznel slider which is linked to the IoR (index of refraction) value, which makes surfaces at a grazing angle more reflective, the smaller the freznel roughness is set to, or the higher the IoR:) Read the manual;) Anyway, most dielectic materials use an IoR of about 1.5. Fabric is different, usually very rough with a rough glossy freznel, and a lower IoR. 

desfen said:

and also, the surface that's being used for the green wall in the test render, how do i apply it to every surface in the Shaded Haven

surprise..laugh Select all surfaces, remove all maps, tint the diffuse color green, reset every parameter I used to the default state by alt/option-clicking in the appropriate channels. OR create a primitive plane, select it in the scene pane and its surface in the surface editor pane, apply aweSurface, tint it green, right-click anywhere in the surface pane to bring up a "copy selected surface(s)" menu, then hide or delete the plane, select all surfaces you want green, right-click again and paste to selected surface(s).  There are probably several other options, like saving the green as a shader preset, which then can be applied to any surface in future projects.

• I originally only used CPU for Iray renders. I had a 12yo 2 core Xeon. Took 50 mins for a portrait, but did it. Another thing might be to look up PA LiquidRust on Rendo. When DS 0.7(?) Came out, they were very good at sharing their experiments and results. Take a look at Testing Lips and Eyes. All 3DLight. See earlier LiquidRust images for info on how it was done. Regards, Richard

richardandtracy said:

I originally only used CPU for Iray renders. I had a 12yo 2 core Xeon. Took 50 mins for a portrait, but did it. Another thing might be to look up PA LiquidRust on Rendo. When DS 0.7(?) Came out, they were very good at sharing their experiments and results. Take a look at Testing Lips and Eyes. All 3DLight. See earlier LiquidRust images for info on how it was done. Regards, Richard

Hmm... I had forgotten about LRblush I actually got ALL their 4k V4 skins while they were still here, and haven't tried converting any of them to awe yet...what a great idealaugh

• LiquidRust was probably the main reason I converted to DS. I wanted more realistic images than I was able to get with Poser 4. LR showed how it was possible.

richardandtracy said:

I originally only used CPU for Iray renders. I had a 12yo 2 core Xeon. Took 50 mins for a portrait, but did it.

hmm i'm having this issue with CPU rendering Iray

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/670116/iray-render-looks-very-pink-technical-problem#latest ;

edited January 23

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

surprise..laugh Select all surfaces, remove all maps, tint the diffuse color green, reset every parameter I used to the default state by alt/option-clicking in the appropriate channels. OR create a primitive plane, select it in the scene pane and its surface in the surface editor pane, apply aweSurface, tint it green, right-click anywhere in the surface pane to bring up a "copy selected surface(s)" menu, then hide or delete the plane, select all surfaces you want green, right-click again and paste to selected surface(s).  There are probably several other options, like saving the green as a shader preset, which then can be applied to any surface in future projects.

oh i see, so the surfaces in your test render are awe surfaces right

and also you also converted the surfaces of the Shaded Haven to awe surfaces too, and the main geometric light-scattering parameters for the awe surfaces are the diffuse roughness and the specular roughness right

so hope you don't mind if i ask, what are the values of the light-scattering parameters of the green wall, and how do i input changing the light-scattering parameters of the Shaded Haven surfaces to match those of the green wall

Post edited by desfen on
    edited January 23

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

That's correct! To be specific: They have the aweSurface shader applied to them.

and also you also converted the surfaces of the Shaded Haven to awe surfaces too, and the main geometric light-scattering parameters for the awe surfaces are the diffuse roughness and the specular roughness right

Yes. everything except the environment sphere that uses the aweEnvironment shader, and the light emitter that uses the awePT arealight shader.

Yes, diffuse- and specular roughness are important for defining how lightrays react to the surface. Also bump-, displacement-, normal-. IoR-. and GlossyFresnel roughness settings will have an impact.

so hope you don't mind if i ask, what are the values of the light-scattering parameters of the green wall, and how do i input changing the light-scattering parameters of the Shaded Haven surfaces to match those of the green wall

As I mentioned, I just used the aweSurface defaults with a 0% diffuse roughness and a 1% specular roughness. This is what you get if you go to file menu/create new primitive/primitive plane, select the plane in the scenetab and its surface in the surface editor tab, then go to your ContentLibrary/shader presets/wowie/awe shading kit and double click the aweSurface icon. Then go back to the surface tab, find diffuse color /white by default), click on the color field to open the color picker and pick the color of your choice.

To save that as a shader preset, have the plane and its surface selected, save as shader preset.

To apply the shader preset to all surfaces of Shaded Haven, select the Pergola and its surfaces, doubleclick your preset.

edited January 29

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

That's correct! To be specific: They have the aweSurface shader applied to them.

Yes. everything except the environment sphere that uses the aweEnvironment shader, and the light emitter that uses the awePT arealight shader.

Yes, diffuse- and specular roughness are important for defining how lightrays react to the surface. Also bump-, displacement-, normal-. IoR-. and GlossyFresnel roughness settings will have an impact.

As I mentioned, I just used the aweSurface defaults with a 0% diffuse roughness and a 1% specular roughness. This is what you get if you go to file menu/create new primitive/primitive plane, select the plane in the scenetab and its surface in the surface editor tab, then go to your ContentLibrary/shader presets/wowie/awe shading kit and double click the aweSurface icon. Then go back to the surface tab, find diffuse color /white by default), click on the color field to open the color picker and pick the color of your choice.

To save that as a shader preset, have the plane and its surface selected, save as shader preset.

To apply the shader preset to all surfaces of Shaded Haven, select the Pergola and its surfaces, doubleclick your preset.

oh interesting, cos i was reading the documentation and 1% specular roughness still seems pretty specularly shiny (Page 4), and the green wall doesn't seem to be shiny

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/55819/55819_awe-surface-user-guide.pdf

also are there more updated versions of the documentation

Post edited by desfen on

desfen said:

oh interesting, cos i was reading the documentation and 1% specular roughness still seems pretty specularly shiny (Page 4), and the green wall doesn't seem to be shiny

I designed the demo-scene to show diffuse bounces as clearly as possible, which is why I used a narrow light spread from the spotlight as to not light the sphere directly. Had I included the sphere, you would have seen the specular highlight on it. The planes are perfectly flat, and placed at such an angle to the light and camera, that the specular highlights on the planes can't be seen here, only the reflections. Had I used spheres instead (convex surfaces) you would have seen the highlights, (or, more correctly, the specular highlights from the spotlight would have found their way to the camera).

Yes, in the AWE Shading kit zip you downloaded. It may already sit in you runtime (ContentLibrary/readme:s or documentation or similar), if you installed with DIM, or just DL the zip again, move the manual to your desktop or whatever, delete the zip.

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

I designed the demo-scene to show diffuse bounces as clearly as possible, which is why I used a narrow light spread from the spotlight as to not light the sphere directly. Had I included the sphere, you would have seen the specular highlight on it. The planes are perfectly flat, and placed at such an angle to the light and camera, that the specular highlights on the planes can't be seen here, only the reflections. Had I used spheres instead (convex surfaces) you would have seen the highlights, (or, more correctly, the specular highlights from the spotlight would have found their way to the camera).

Yes, in the AWE Shading kit zip you downloaded. It may already sit in you runtime (ContentLibrary/readme:s or documentation or similar), if you installed with DIM, or just DL the zip again, move the manual to your desktop or whatever, delete the zip.

thanks so much for all the help

and in the Shaded Haven DUF which you sent me, under the Surfaces Editor menu, i see a very long list of parameters, starting from Transmission, Transmission to Roughness, Metalness ... all the way to .. UV Projection Influence, Smooth, Angle

just wondering is there documentation which explains each of the parameters

edited February 6

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

The surfaces in the testscene were just the aweSurface default with a generic diffuse color using the color picker, and the default specular roughness is 1%, with 100% reflection strength, (I dialed back a bit on reflections here). The SH stonewall I set to maybe 30% roughness and maybe dialled in some diffuse roughness too. 0% roughness equals perfectly sharp reflections, which should be used only for extremely glossy surfaces like mirrors, smooth metal and glass/water. Most surfaces use values arond 15-50%, think asphalt, stone walls, sand, fabrics etc.

And then there's the Glossy Freznel slider which is linked to the IoR (index of refraction) value, which makes surfaces at a grazing angle more reflective, the smaller the freznel roughness is set to, or the higher the IoR:) Read the manual;) Anyway, most dielectic materials use an IoR of about 1.5. Fabric is different, usually very rough with a rough glossy freznel, and a lower IoR. 

also the parameter which is important here for your Shaded Haven render is "Specular 2 Rougness" right

and what does "Max Ray Depth" mean

i'm also a bit confused by what this text means

If maximum trace depth in the 3delight render settings is lower, the shader will use the limits set in the
    render settings. Vice versa, if maximum trace depth in the render settings is higher, it will use the maximum
    depth set in the material.

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 6

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Ok, please explain;)

additionally your series of demo renders looks really good. i tried rendering your Shaded Haven scene again with Max Specular Bounce Depth turned to zero and unfortunately it looked quite not good, i was wondering could you teach me how to modify the Shaded Haven surfaces properly, thanks

and IKEA's catalogues, they don't take photos but they do CGI renders, i think that is pretty impressive in terms of the photorealism

Post edited by desfen on

desfen said:

and in the Shaded Haven DUF which you sent me, under the Surfaces Editor menu, i see a very long list of parameters, starting from Transmission, Transmission to Roughness, Metalness ... all the way to .. UV Projection Influence, Smooth, Angle

Yes, in detail...I repeat, if you missed the aweSurface user guide, download it again and put it in a safe place! 

edited February 6

desfen said:

also the parameter which is important here for your Shaded Haven render is "Specular 2 Rougness" right

I guess you could say it's one of the most important properties for defining a material. Glass and metals are not as rough as natural stone, for example.

The maximum number of ray bounces is limited by this value. In the classic scenario with parallell mirrors, you will not get more bouncing reflections than specified here.

If maximum trace depth in the 3delight render settings is lower, the shader will use the limits set in the
    render settings. Vice versa, if maximum trace depth in the render settings is higher, it will use the maximum

Right, I'll try to explain: Every surface can use their own trace settings if you wish. Example: You could use a higher trace depth on reflective surfaces and a lower for fabric and other very rough surfaces. (The same goes for Irradiance samples, saturation, tonemapping and temperature). This is all done in the surface editor, and allows you to manually optimize your scenes for faster rendering, if needed. As always, quality vs rendertime. So, if you set trace depth for a surface to 16, but in rendersettings you have specified 12, 12 is what you get. if you have specified 16 in rendersettings but 12 in surface settings, 12 is what you get.

Now, have a look at the awe Environment Light. This provides a very easy way of adjusting all this globally, instead of having to type in values manually for each surface. Simply go to the Override section of the light and enable overrides for Irradiance(shadow)samples, SSS samples, aweHair samples, diffuse depth, specular depth, metal depth, hair depth (for the aweHair shader), type in the values you want to use, done. If you still would like to use a different value on some surface, you can override the aweLight overrides in the surface editor.

This is how I do it, so I used the aweEnvironment light overrides in the ShadedHaven scene. Feel free to use the overrides or disable them and set them per surface instead! And again, if your rendersettings values are smaller, that's what will be used for the final render output.

And a general note: Wowie's default settings do make sense. Raising these numbers a lot will not automagically make the render photoreal. It's also very much down to the quality/resolution of textures, the topology, the lighting, the environment etc. A metal object in a dark room will be dark, no matter the number of bounces.

Hope this helps!

desfen said:

additionally your series of demo renders looks really good. i tried rendering your Shaded Haven scene again with Max Specular Bounce Depth turned to zero and unfortunately it looked quite not good, i was wondering could you teach me how to modify the Shaded Haven surfaces properly, thanks

That's because you literally turn off specular/reflection with a bounce depth of 0, just like setting diffuse depth to 0 will disable indirect light (Global Illumination).

I think I can't help much more, other than give technical/ general advice. You have to understand it took me 5 years to learn what I know today about 3DL pathtracing and wowie's shaders. I'll share what I think I know happily, no need to thank me, as I'm just passing on stuff I've learned from other forum members, today long gone. But when it comes to artistic interpretations, you're on your own;)

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

Yes, in detail...I repeat, if you missed the aweSurface user guide, download it again and put it in a safe place! 

yeah sorry i did find the user guide but i don't think that it covers a list of all the parameters, i only found the "Iray Uber to AWE Surface Conversion" list

edited February 6

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

That's because you literally turn off specular/reflection with a bounce depth of 0, just like setting diffuse depth to 0 will disable indirect light (Global Illumination).

yeah, my idea is that the walls are meant to be diffuse and that more specularity will make them look "fake". and in your series of demo renders, for some of them the RD was 0 and i thought they ended up looking pretty good. and so i'm trying to replicate that effect with the surfaces of the Shaded Haven

Post edited by desfen on
    edited February 6

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

I guess you could say it's one of the most important properties for defining a material. Glass and metals are not as rough as natural stone, for example.

The maximum number of ray bounces is limited by this value. In the classic scenario with parallell mirrors, you will not get more bouncing reflections than specified here.

Right, I'll try to explain: Every surface can use their own trace settings if you wish. Example: You could use a higher trace depth on reflective surfaces and a lower for fabric and other very rough surfaces. (The same goes for Irradiance samples, saturation, tonemapping and temperature). This is all done in the surface editor, and allows you to manually optimize your scenes for faster rendering, if needed. As always, quality vs rendertime. So, if you set trace depth for a surface to 16, but in rendersettings you have specified 12, 12 is what you get. if you have specified 16 in rendersettings but 12 in surface settings, 12 is what you get.

Now, have a look at the awe Environment Light. This provides a very easy way of adjusting all this globally, instead of having to type in values manually for each surface. Simply go to the Override section of the light and enable overrides for Irradiance(shadow)samples, SSS samples, aweHair samples, diffuse depth, specular depth, metal depth, hair depth (for the aweHair shader), type in the values you want to use, done. If you still would like to use a different value on some surface, you can override the aweLight overrides in the surface editor.

This is how I do it, so I used the aweEnvironment light overrides in the ShadedHaven scene. Feel free to use the overrides or disable them and set them per surface instead! And again, if your rendersettings values are smaller, that's what will be used for the final render output.

And a general note: Wowie's default settings do make sense. Raising these numbers a lot will not automagically make the render photoreal. It's also very much down to the quality/resolution of textures, the topology, the lighting, the environment etc. A metal object in a dark room will be dark, no matter the number of bounces.

Hope this helps!

hmm interesting, maybe the reason that my render didn't look good was because i wasn't aware of the overriding settings of the environment light in your Shaded Haven scene

Post edited by desfen on

desfen said:

Sven Dullah said:

desfen said:

yeah, my idea is that the walls are meant to be diffuse and that more specularity will make them look "fake". and in your series of demo renders, for some of them the RD was 0 and i thought they ended up looking pretty good. and so i'm trying to replicate that effect with the surfaces of the Shaded Haven

In that case, simply dial down specular/reflection on the "offending" surfaces or simply turn off the specular lobe for pure diffuse light!