Sept 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• Linwelly said:

Hey everyone ^^

I've finnaly done customizing my scene and I wanna hear your opinions on it :P 

If you have any idea/s on how I can improve it, i'll be glad to hear it. 

Very nice idea, but yes i agree with isidorn about the darkness and the fact that those followers are hardly noticable. And like JayJay you have the situation that you have a focused area in front with your Lady Spellcaster and the backdrop mountain

and i'm just about to finish my rea-render which will be alot less darker :P 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

ok,I got my next wip ready.The lighting is a bit better.I have noticed that my renders look great in the render window,but after I save them and then open them in the Windos Picture viewer, they look much darker.

No postwork on this one.

DOF contest WIP 2.jpg
    1204 x 873 - 819K
  • GunGun Posts: 52
    isidorn said:

Gun, it's great to be able to feel good about one's work. :) And I totally agree that this is a great place to learn. I learned a lot in the august competetion and I expect to learn a lot this month too when I finally decide what kind of picture I want to make.

I have one little nit-picky thing about your render. On the head of the staff there's on each side two red little things that hangs in strings. As the staff is positioned now they "hang" horisontally, unaffected by gravity. On a magic staff that might still be ok though. But I think it would add realism to the picture if you could change them to hang down, in a more natural way. That would of course require them to be adjustable and I have no idea if they are. So if they aren't then just forget this. :) (Unless you can do some postwork tweaking)

Tiny details like that are funny in the way that we might not even notice them when they are correct, but if they're wrong we tend to spot them quickly.

I try to change rotation it, but it seem i can not do anything about this. Only two option left, i have to change weapon or change angle of camera. Anyway, Thanks for your helpfull advice, I didn't note that detail until you told me. :D

Gun said:
    isidorn said:

Hey everyone ^^

I've finnaly done customizing my scene and I wanna hear your opinions on it :P 

If you have any idea/s on how I can improve it, i'll be glad to hear it. 

It took a while before I realized those shadows were men following/hunting her and not just shadows of vegetation. Imo they blend in too much with the overall landscape shadows and those are a bit too much too. More than half the picture is just a large black field. If it was possible to distinguish the followers a bit more I would think it would improve a lot.

That's just my opinion as a viewer of the image. Take it for what you will. :)

Hi, i think your rendered a bit dark, it's hard to realize what have in there. Beside, I want to ask, how you ocan create a sun light that?, I want to make some render with the sun like that, but dont know how to do.:D

Hey ^^ 

I've achieved the sun using "Rons Bokeh" effects

where i can find "Rons Bokeh" effect" Trix?

•  

Hey guys :) 

I've done my rea-render :P 

I was working on it for like 2 hours on some programs and then suddenly random pc shutdown and I kinda forgot to save.... so yea ;-; 

I took it as a sign for me not to post-work it so here's a clean version, 

Please Tell me what do you think of it or how can I improve it ^^

Witch Hunt FHD.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 2M

@Gun I don't have the staff you got in your render, but many items have "children"

In the scene tab,look to see if the staff has a small arrow in front of it , like the characters have.If it does, then it has "children" and you maybe able to keep opening them down until you find the the little tassels and from there on the Parameters tab you might have more movement options.I have a few cars and houses that do this with the doors and windows.I can't move the doors or windows on the car unless I get them selected in the scene tab and then it shows in the parameters that I can open/close them.Maybe your staff has the same options.,,also lot's of the clothes have these "hidden" movement options so you can move the hips, arms, chest, ect,,ect,,separately from the rest of it.

I was working on it for like 2 hours on some programs and then suddenly random pc shutdown and I kinda forgot to save.... so yea ;-; 

I think if we think fantasy way, it can be accepted. The Dof is good, but the female skin is a little to shine ( or too white), I mean, it's make your rendered don't have a balance about dark and light. I think you can reduce a intensity, made it a littel darker or between dark and grey. This is only my opinion ^^ hope its helpfull

This almost looks like a fantasy novel cover like the ones I read while I was in High School,Very nice.My favorite was by Steven R. Boyett called "Ariel"

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Hi Trix, this is much better, the riders can be recognized and the way is not to dark. The spellcaster is overexposed at the leg and the cloth behind her, I would tr to reduce the contrasts in whole as the background seems to be very lit as well. The way I usually proceed with lights is that I put up alle lights I think I might need and reduce the intensity to 30% for all of them (I work in 3dlight, so if you use Iray things might be different), From there i start dialing up the main light to 50 or 70. Often I have the backlights at 70% as well. Only with full bright daylight I use the 100%. The rest usually stay somewhere between 30 an 50%

icecrmn said:

ok,I got my next wip ready.The lighting is a bit better.I have noticed that my renders look great in the render window,but after I save them and then open them in the Windos Picture viewer, they look much darker.

No postwork on this one.

I like the lights here very much, for me this is not to dark. I'm not sure what it is but there seems to be something strange with her skin on her right side of the face and neck, (are these the feared fireflys Iray produces?)

I would do something about the surface of the bedding. The struckture in it refleckts the light coming from the window, which is no problen in itself, but it look a bit to much like plastic or something solid, not soft and plushy

• Gun said:

I think if we think fantasy way, it can be accepted. The Dof is good, but the female skin is a little to shine ( or too white), I mean, it's make your rendered don't have a balance about dark and light. I think you can reduce a intensity, made it a littel darker or between dark and grey. This is only my opinion ^^ hope its helpfull

I don't really find a way to do it.. Any clue what to do? 

• icecrmn said:

This almost looks like a fantasy novel cover like the ones I read while I was in High School,Very nice.My favorite was by Steven R. Boyett called "Ariel"

Thanks ^^ 

I was trying to create that mysthical enviroment :) 

Gun said:

well, you click into light that you use, and click on parameters. It have general, display, light, shadow. click light, it will have lumination, intensity, and shadow intensity.

Linwelly said:
    icecrmn said:

No postwork on this one.

I like the lights here very much, for me this is not to dark. I'm not sure what it is but there seems to be something strange with her skin on her right side of the face and neck, (are these the feared fireflys Iray produces?)

I would do something about the surface of the bedding. The struckture in it refleckts the light coming from the window, which is no problen in itself, but it look a bit to much like plastic or something solid, not soft and plushy

I think I got the blanket fixed.

The weird light streaks I'm not sure about.I'll have a look at the skin surfaces and see if its coming from there or if its coming from one of the lights.

icecrmn said:

@Gun I don't have the staff you got in your render, but many items have "children"

In the scene tab,look to see if the staff has a small arrow in front of it , like the characters have.If it does, then it has "children" and you maybe able to keep opening them down until you find the the little tassels and from there on the Parameters tab you might have more movement options.I have a few cars and houses that do this with the doors and windows.I can't move the doors or windows on the car unless I get them selected in the scene tab and then it shows in the parameters that I can open/close them.Maybe your staff has the same options.,,also lot's of the clothes have these "hidden" movement options so you can move the hips, arms, chest, ect,,ect,,separately from the rest of it.

The staff, when you download Daz studio, it's already have it, and I already try the way you told me,  but it don't have any parent or children branch. So I can not paramenter it, but can't change the color for each detail on the staff @@

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230
    edited September 2015

Greetings to all, I've completed my scene and finally I've come out with this render, I hope it's as good as other renders posted.

Please tell me your openion on it.

I don't know if I blurred the back scene too much .... frown

DOF Camera Contest3.jpg
    800 x 533 - 226K
    Post edited by h_habash on
  • Gun said:
    Gun said:

well, you click into light that you use, and click on parameters. It have general, display, light, shadow. click light, it will have lumination, intensity, and shadow intensity.

It will be madness to render it again ;-; 

Its a 8 hour render with the qualities I use there, the amount of figures and that 4k resolution (and i'm using Nvidia gtx 980 with second card gtx 870 and intel core i7-4800mq) 

Gun said:
    Gun said:

Its a 8 hour render with the qualities I use there, the amount of figures and that 4k resolution (and i'm using Nvidia gtx 980 with second card gtx 870 and intel core i7-4800mq) 

mine took 10 hours to get 48% :) 

I don't have an Nvidia card, I've got an AMD.

other specs:

AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.2GHZ

32GB 1600 Mhz Ram

Studio lives and works on an 112GB SSD drive

so yeah,,,these DOF renders take forever

Gun said:
    Gun said:

8 hours @@. My rendering only take 2-3 hours to finish. I don't know the reason it's took too long to rendered, but I can show you the way how to rendered fast. First, because you still not sure your rendering is ok or not, so you have to reduce your quality rendering, so it will takee 15 to 30 minutes per render. Second, when you feel your rendered is ok, this time give a shot high quality, and keep ask opnion your high quality render from forum. finally, give the last shot for your perfect render, and win the event.devil

• Gun said:
    Gun said:
    Gun said:

8 hours @@. My rendering only take 2-3 hours to finish. I don't know the reason it's took too long to rendered, but I can show you the way how to rendered fast. First, because you still not sure your rendering is ok or not, so you have to reduce your quality rendering, so it will takee 15 to 30 minutes per render. Second, when you feel your rendered is ok, this time give a shot high quality, and keep ask opnion your high quality render from forum. finally, give the last shot for your perfect render, and win the event.devil

Ik about all that stuff :P it usually take me about 15-50 mins to finish most complex scenes, 

Its just here that i setted some crazy settings :P 

edited September 2015
    icecrmn said:
    Gun said:
    Gun said:

other specs:

32GB 1600 Mhz Ram

I can't tell you if your card is sufficient, but I can say that mine (which is NVIDEA but a smaller version) is not enough. That is my reason to keep working with 3dlight, render times are still reasonable, and the results are fine by me. You do have to tweak your light by yourself but the can be an advantage as well.

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • icecrmn said:
    Gun said:
    Gun said:

other specs:

32GB 1600 Mhz Ram

Damm ;-; 

For my render, I want to make it higher quality. What should I need to do with render setting guys?

• Kitti said:

This isn't anywhere near done but I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions as I seem to have backed myself into a corner.

I originally planned on the gas drums exploding but now that it's time to put it into action I'm coming up short. Does anyone have any ideas for products, techniques, or tutorials?

I do have a hair picked out for her it just takes foever to render and I still have a long ways to go; adjust clothing/prop textures, fix her lips and teeth, add an antagonist to get blown up and of course matching lighting for the explosion.

Any thoughts & suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Do you have 'Raw Energy Effects'? That's what I've started using for my explosions, along with 'Real Lights for DAZ Studio Iray' for my lighting.

Here's an example of both being used in one of my more recent renders.

Hope this helps, and best of luck this month.

yeah, my AMD can't be used for iray, so I'm CPU only.I hvae Reality, which is an exporter for the Luxrender render engine, which can use my card.I'm just to spoiled with the viewport workspace in iray, so I've not spent much time in luxrender lately.I don't know if I'll every go with a high end nvidia card though, I think I would go with a mutliple CPU board and lots of ram instead.Maybe something with 4 CPUs with 6 cores each and 256GB ram for my next build :)

h_habash said:

Greetings to all, I've completed my scene and finally I've come out with this render, I hope it's as good as other renders posted.

This is very good, but yes I agree its be little bit too much

• Linwelly said:
    h_habash said:

This is very good, but yes I agree its be little bit too much

Thans Linwelly, I'm working on reducing it to 50%, the render takes around 5 hours.

• h_habash said:

Hi Habash,

My opinion only... Maybe you should reduce the blur on the woman near the door (her mother?), so that you can make out more of her features. The other person to the back of the scene is fine to be blurred. 

• Hi folks, 

So here is an iray render of my space explorer scene for this month's competition. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. The rock at the front is an ancient head from some lost civilisation that the explorer is yet to discover. 

Jay

Daz DOF competition 1.jpg
    1140 x 865 - 723K
  • h_habash said:

Hi Habash,

My opinion only... Maybe you should reduce the blur on the woman near the door (her mother?), so that you can make out more of her features. The other person to the back of the scene is fine to be blurred. 

Thanx JayJay, I will see how I can implement this although I didn't master DOF thing but it worth trying.