Sept 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

167891012»

Comments

• Time for a timely reminder (thanks for reminding me Linwelly)    Be there or be square!   Make sure you post any entries in the entries thread.here before the deadline.: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/61903/sept-2015-new-user-contest-entry-thread/p1

Closing Date: Sept 30, 2015

• Wow lots of great stuff here.  I just started with the 3d stuff several weeks ago.  My question is should i go back and start from the beinnig or should i go ahead and just jump right in for October? 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Start in October, we will be there to help you along the way.

BTW the entry thread is only for entries.  The WIP thread is for discussions

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Best way to get your feet wet is to jump right in, so welcome to the party! :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2015

Sorry I did think I was in work in progress lol.  I have the flu so I'm a bit off but can't seem to stay away from here.  Nothing else to do while off my feet, might as well work on the skill sets right?  And if I am working on the contests, I hopefully won't be shopping.  Much.  And thank you Isidorn! You all will just have to be patient with all of my questions.  Its much appreciated! I'm also going through all the older contests to see what I can learn from those as well.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • DollyGirl said:

Hi all,

I have been working on this, and decided to see if I could get some feedback please?  Its a work in progress.

Title - Bunny "Thriller" Dance

Software - DAZ Studio (no postwork)

Thank you!

:-)

White Rabbit welcome to the thread. As soon as I saw your image, the song went through my head. So that is a really good start. If I were working on this scene I would make sure that the werewolf and zombie bunny had one foot on the ground. I would decide that the front bunny would be my focus and I would set up the camera so that the bunny stayed in focus but everything else was a degree of fuzzy. I would push the back string of dancers back a little bit more to put them more out of focus. I would also put a bit more light on the bunny and a little less light on the backup dancers to help increase the seperation between the lead dancer and the rest. I would also take a crack at trying to use this tutorial, http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Creating-Dust-And-Atmosphere-in-Iray-522291773 by Sickleyield to give some fog effect in the picture.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Slight change of plan... I found my Bunny Thriller scene requires some additional research trying to find why some of the figures I have used seem to render black in iray?  I originally rendered in 3Delight.  Thinking about it anyway, this scene of Sleeping Princess which I have been working on seems to work really well for iray with atmosphere added.  I had nver used iray before so have been working day and night to get this ready.  I hope you like it?  :-)  

Mark_Trappett_Snow_White_DAZ_Sep_2015_Comp_v02.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 636K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2015

OK I will merge this into the WIP thread,  and have you found the   List Thread   of all the old contests  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

That's as if taken straight out of a fairy tale book White Rabbit. Great work!

• DollyGirl said:

Chohole said:

OK I will merge this into the WIP thread,  and have you found the   List Thread   of all the old contests  

Thank you for this!!! I will make note of these and check through them!   Much appreciated!! :-)

• isidorn said:

That's as if taken straight out of a fairy tale book White Rabbit. Great work!

Thank you isidorn!  :-)

• DollyGirl said:

Slight change of plan... I found my Bunny Thriller scene requires some additional research trying to find why some of the figures I have used seem to render black in iray?  I originally rendered in 3Delight.  Thinking about it anyway, this scene of Sleeping Princess which I have been working on seems to work really well for iray with atmosphere added.  I had nver used iray before so have been working day and night to get this ready.  I hope you like it?  :-)  

Really great scene! The only change I'd make to to lift the source of the light beam so you use more of that space in the upper part of the image. But I really love the use of that negative space.

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

Here's another couple of tries at improving my DoF.  I think I almost have it where I want things, but with each render taking about an hour, I better call it quits for tonight and come back in the morning.

Ok those do both work very well with the dof which one you prefer is a question you have to decide. What I would advide is that you give him a bit more light in the face and maybe tint that light a little more the colour fo the fire. Right now its a cold white /greyish tone you have for him which is a bit strange in contrast to the fire surrounding him.

How's this Linwelly? I changed the color of his laser blade to try and blind his lighting more with the fire, but still have him lit by the blade.(Does that make any sence?) Thanks for the feadback though.

Ok, I have walked myself a bit in a corner here. I like the new light colour on his face very much, but then I like the blade in the white better. So there are two things I would suggest but it's really up to you as this is already a very nice render. I would probably tone down the fire in the back a little bit (maybe try in postwork first then you don't have to render the whole scene again and can decide if you like it better or not) and /or make the blade a little less uniform. I don't know if that is possible as I seem to remember you are using Iray and the blade is an emitting surface?  (I'm no good with Iray) Maybe go a little down on opacity or try the center of the blade in a brighter tone than the outer part.

As already said, just ideas you can paly around and decibe for yourself, good work!

Thanks for the feedback Linwelly.  When I checked the blade I found that it was a single surface, so I reduced the opacity to 37.5%.  I tried it at about 80%, but there wasn't any deferanced to my eye with the last version I posted.

Ok this looks very fitting to me! there is a bit  seen of what is behind but its still glowing and its not overpowering the face anymore

Now don't forget to submit before the deadline :-)

Submiting right after this post.  Thanks for all your feedback Linwelly.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited September 2015

White Rabbit says: Slight change of plan... I found my Bunny Thriller scene requires some additional research trying to find why some of the figures I have used seem to render black in iray?  I originally rendered in 3Delight.  Thinking about it anyway, this scene of Sleeping Princess which I have been working on seems to work really well for iray with atmosphere added.  I had nver used iray before so have been working day and night to get this ready.  I hope you like it?  :-)  

White Rabbit, what a delightful image. Very Kay Nielsen. Yes I can see that you have paid attention to detail. I really like how you put the focus at the bottom of the image and that you achieved god-rays. The only thing I would do is maybe add another of the same tree as you have in your image behind and just to the right of the first tree, making the second tree just a tench taller to compliment the god rays. Then another of the same tree model in front of the two that is just a bit smaller. Odd number of the same thing are a good thing in art and the grouping of the trees would help connect the sky area to the ground area in your image and give just a bit more flow. This recommendation is just an idea. Adding that much more detail may remove the sense of simplicity that you have achived which I really like about this image. So I would play with the idea but if you don't feel like it adds or helps with the image, then I would not change a thing.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

White rabbit, concerning the figures rendereing black in Iray, I believe that it is caused by the fact that some 3dlight materials (so everything before Iray came out might be like that) won't render in Iray,(some others do, ask the iray experts about why). If you use "older" runtime content in Iray its always useful to select everything from your scene and the surfaces and apply the Iray base shader, (make sure to hold the control key and select ignore from the popup window)

• Joe Webb said:
    DollyGirl said:

Really great scene! The only change I'd make to to lift the source of the light beam so you use more of that space in the upper part of the image. But I really love the use of that negative space.

Thank you Joe, I really appreciate it!!  I will give that a try with the light beam.  It seems like it would look good!  :-)

• Best of luck everyone. Great renders this month. Can't wait to see what October has in store for us.

• DollyGirl said:

White Rabbit says: Slight change of plan... I found my Bunny Thriller scene requires some additional research trying to find why some of the figures I have used seem to render black in iray?  I originally rendered in 3Delight.  Thinking about it anyway, this scene of Sleeping Princess which I have been working on seems to work really well for iray with atmosphere added.  I had nver used iray before so have been working day and night to get this ready.  I hope you like it?  :-)  

White Rabbit, what a delightful image. Very Kay Nielsen. Yes I can see that you have paid attention to detail. I really like how you put the focus at the bottom of the image and that you achieved god-rays. The only thing I would do is maybe add another of the same tree as you have in your image behind and just to the right of the first tree, making the second tree just a tench taller to compliment the god rays. Then another of the same tree model in front of the two that is just a bit smaller. Odd number of the same thing are a good thing in art and the grouping of the trees would help connect the sky area to the ground area in your image and give just a bit more flow. This recommendation is just an idea. Adding that much more detail may remove the sense of simplicity that you have achived which I really like about this image. So I would play with the idea but if you don't feel like it adds or helps with the image, then I would not change a thing.

Hi DollyGirl!  Your feedback has been extremely helpful!  I likely would never attempted rendering in iray (at least for a long time anyway :-) ) and found the awesome results it can give had it not been for you, thank you!  I will try what you mentioned with the trees even if it doesn't make it for the competition, thanks again :-) 

• Linwelly said:

White rabbit, concerning the figures rendereing black in Iray, I believe that it is caused by the fact that some 3dlight materials (so everything before Iray came out might be like that) won't render in Iray,(some others do, ask the iray experts about why). If you use "older" runtime content in Iray its always useful to select everything from your scene and the surfaces and apply the Iray base shader, (make sure to hold the control key and select ignore from the popup window)

Hi Linwelly!  Thank you for the feedback!  I now have converted all the content in my Bunny Dance scene to iray base shader as recommended.  I gave a test render, and I still have the problem with the scary looking, back up dancer rabbit rendering all black?  There must be some parameter setting(s) that are causing the issue?  I will have to try rendering him on his own maybe... I looked at the reflectivity of his body which is set pretty high.  I will post some questions as you suggest.  

I was also having problems trying to render a night time scene for the Bunny Dance scene.  All the examples I have seen online so far have been enclosed in a building or outside in the daylight.  I will continue working on this.  Thanks again :-)  

• GunGun Posts: 52

Common guys, last day for post your work. Hurry we only have 2 hour and 10 minutes left

• KittiKitti Posts: 77

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me feedback earlier this month! I apologize for waiting so long to get back on here; I wasn't crowned the Last Minute Queen for being punctual ya know... ;)

I kind of jumped into this project blindly, I usually like to have a solid plan in place so I realize there are some pretty glaring issues.

I fought with the camera angle long & hard but I'm afraid if I pursue it anymore I'll have an aneurism. Her arm doesn't look proportionate but I couldn't fix it without changing the angle on her face and completely altering the scene & her expression… que sera, sera right?

I intentionally avoided pointing the riffle at the exact center of impact on the explosion; she might be badass but no one can fire a weapon that size and keep their arm from jolting out of place when it's fully extended. Realistically speaking she's probably lucky the kickback didn't give her a concussion.

The last thing I'm fighting with is probably one of my biggest pet peeves and that's "Kinky" hair. I don't understand what causes this or how to fix it so any insight is definitely appreciated!

Kittisiubhan082015.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 505K
  • I replaced the Bunny Dance with this.  Another render from my scene in iray.  I LOVE iray!  :-)

Title - When I Live my Dream

Software - DAZ Studio 4.8 - iray 

No postwork

Mark_Trappett_Snow_White_DAZ_Sep_2015_Comp_v05.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Mark_Trappett_Snow_White_DAZ_Sep_2015_Comp_v05.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

It's all over for this month, but I think you will all like October's challenge too.  

Thanks everyone for participating, and making it such a good contest, some stunning renders were posted here.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Kitti said:

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me feedback earlier this month! I apologize for waiting so long to get back on here; I wasn't crowned the Last Minute Queen for being punctual ya know... ;)

I kind of jumped into this project blindly, I usually like to have a solid plan in place so I realize there are some pretty glaring issues.

I fought with the camera angle long & hard but I'm afraid if I pursue it anymore I'll have an aneurism. Her arm doesn't look proportionate but I couldn't fix it without changing the angle on her face and completely altering the scene & her expression… que sera, sera right?

I intentionally avoided pointing the riffle at the exact center of impact on the explosion; she might be badass but no one can fire a weapon that size and keep their arm from jolting out of place when it's fully extended. Realistically speaking she's probably lucky the kickback didn't give her a concussion.

The last thing I'm fighting with is probably one of my biggest pet peeves and that's "Kinky" hair. I don't understand what causes this or how to fix it so any insight is definitely appreciated!

I love this render Kitti, the composition is spot on right down to the expression.
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Good luck everyone, there are a lot renders this month and very good ones at that!