Sept 2015 New User Contest (WIP-THREAD)

JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

New User's Contest - Sept 2015
Sponsored by DAZ 3D and FeralFey    http://www.daz3d.com/feralfey

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Focus and Depth of Field (DOF)"

This month, our attention will be on 'Focus and Depth of Field'

I will be checking in on the WIP thread as will the rest of the Community Volunteers to try and help with anything you all may need, so feel free to ask questions.

The Golder rules of rendering can be found:
Bryce
DAZ Studio (Also, DS has a built in thirds golden rule just show thirds guide); See images below.

Here are various links to other things that may help you in this months contest. Credit is given to Szark for this wonderful thread.
Tutorials by Szark

More info that will help with this months contest can be found:
in DAZ Studio
http://thyranq.deviantart.com/art/DAZ-Studio-Camera-Tutorial-256687214
http://www.daz3d.com/great-art-now-step-4-camera
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/
http://www.sharecg.com/v/52258/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DAZ-Studio-Tutorial-Depth-of-Field

in Poser
Poser – Cameras 101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsoyUNpsv8

in Carrara
Chapter 7: Setting Cameras

in Bryce
Artist’s guide Lesson 2: Positioning the Camera
Bryce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahiyabdeUBI DoF in Bryce by David Brinnen

DoF Basics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field   Wikkipedia entry which may help New Users
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AGMU46mGKs  Excellent YouTube video which explains how to use DoF inside DAZ Studio

Examples of DoF:
Some Examples 

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Contest Rules

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so, whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

Closing Date: Sept 30, 2015

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on

Comments

• GunGun Posts: 52
    edited September 2015

Hi guys, after I read introduction about DoF, I start some work that I ll attend below. I didn't add any light yet, but can you give me some advice, is it a Dof render or not? thanks guys

draft 3.jpg
    1250 x 1750 - 987K
    Post edited by Gun on
  • No, part of the image should be sharply in focus, and part of it should be out of focus, which is what Depth of Field really is.

Please use the links in my post above to learn about DoF, particularly this one for DAZ Studio : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AGMU46mGKs

edited September 2015

Well I did exactly like in Video, but maybe it don't have light so....., let me try again, thanks anyway

Ps: Wait, is Dof work in 3Ddelight guys?

Post edited by Gun on
  • Ps: Wait, is Dof work in 3Ddelight guys?

Yes it does

You have to use the camera that DoF is set to work on to render, NOT the Perspective view.   Make sure that you are using the correct camera from the drop-down menu in the Viewport.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Perhaps not a good example, as it was not done in DS, but here I have the camera focused on the elder's face, so the teepees are getting more out of focus as they are further back, and his blanket at the very front is also tending to blur a little, as it is in front of the camera focus.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Heres another example of DOF - not one I can enter as it was done at the time Ilicites was released to test work with that character, still one of my more contructive DOF attempts though!

IllicitesScene.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 203K

Yes, and better than mine as it is done in DS.  We have a different system for doing DOF in Bryce.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Chohole said:

Yes, and better than mine as it is done in DS.  We have a different system for doing DOF in Bryce.

I wouldn't say better Chohole, different certainly. I really like your render, theres an incredible amount of detail that I can only seemingly dream of at the moment!

• TrixterMatrixTrixterMatrix Posts: 40
    edited September 2015
    Gun said:

Well I did exactly like in Video, but maybe it don't have light so....., let me try again, thanks anyway

Ps: Wait, is Dof work in 3Ddelight guys?

Depth of the field can be used in many ways, some use it for the obvious reason of adding depth to the picture, some use it to blur stuff, etc... 

For example here is a render which I used depth of the field in - in a very noticeable way, to focus the attention on the character 

Hope it helped :P 

self-control_full.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 375K
    Post edited by TrixterMatrix on
    KA1 said:
    Chohole said:

I wouldn't say better Chohole, different certainly. I really like your render, theres an incredible amount of detail that I can only seemingly dream of at the moment!

Ah well I have been using Bryce for more than 15 years, Poser almost as long, and was actually using paint programs (it was Corel Photopaint to start with) since before I started with 3d so I have had some time to get used to posing and texturing and such.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796
    edited September 2015

This one ist done as well with DOF, and a lot of it to put the focus on the portrait; has been published on my DA account. this is DS 4.8 and 3dlight

Faramir.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 894K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited September 2015

To add another DOF example rendered in 3Delight.

Made for the New Users Contest when participating for the first time. Still love this image. :-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on

is this DoF?, i try to make it more focus on female elf, but I can't do that. I change focal distance and f/stop as small as possible.

draft 5.jpg
    516 x 609 - 175K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

Looks good so far. Only thing I suggest is making the closer objects be blurrier.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2015
    Gun said:

is this DoF?, i try to make it more focus on female elf, but I can't do that. I change focal distance and f/stop as small as possible.

Are you following the tutorial?   Can you post an image of the Perspective view showing the DoF frames for your image.

To get a greater depth of field effect (more blurriness of objects not at the point of focus) 

1.   Reduce the camera to subject distance

2.   Use a longer focal lenght of lens (100mm instead of 50mm)

3.   Use a smaller aperture (f/stop) (f1.5 instead of f16 for example)

In your case, I think I would try a longer focal length lens, but please post the image of what your DoF plane looks like.

Edited by me to make the post clearer (and correct)

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Long time lurker, first time competition enter-rer (?). Watched the Youtube video. It was very helpful.

Daz DOF competition .jpg
    1140 x 865 - 580K
    edited September 2015

ok after rester my laptop, and change pixel samples to 16 in render setting for 3Delight. I think this time it will be DoF rendering. I didn't try on NVIDIA iray yet, but hope  it will like this time angel

draft 6.jpg
    516 x 609 - 120K
    Post edited by Gun on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

ok,,I read the tutorials and I think I got it,,mostly ;)

I got a render cooking now, but it looks like it going to take some time.I'll post back with my WIP when it gets done.

edited September 2015

hi guys, thanks you for every advice, yall gave me, and this is my  final draft that I render with Dof. Just take a look, and see do I miss anything else? ( light, pose, or shadow.....)

Thanks for everything guys :D

final 1.jpg
    1875 x 1375 - 1M
    Post edited by Gun on
  • Gun said:

hi guys, thanks you for every advice, yall gave me, and this is my  final draft that I render with Dof. Just take a look, and see do I miss anything else? ( light, pose, or shadow.....)

Now you are cooking with gas, that is it, well done.

If you look at the definition of DoF, you will see that everything before or after the point of perfect focus will be slightly blurry.   The DoF is in fact, the area that is in acceptably sharp focus, and the rest will be out of focus depending on how far in front or behind of that point of perfect focus it is, and the the other factors mentioned above. (Distance, Focal Length and Aperture)

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Gun said:

As a DAZ newbie I have no advice about the technical stuff. I just have to ask, those elves, they are of the tiny kind of elves and not the regular human sized fantasy elves? (silly english language using the same word for two different things) I didn't realize that until I now saw the ball behind the female. Would be interesting with the story behind the scene as right now it honestly seems mostly confusing.

I'm considering myself a storyteller and usually try to tell a story with every scene I make, so I kind of assume everyone else is doing that too. But I know it's not always easy to get the story through. Just because something is obvious to myself doesn't mean it is for others. I think that's something that's worth to keep in mind. A picture says more than a thousand words, but it can say different things depending on how it's presented.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited September 2015
    Gun said:

Right hand finger tips look like they are through the knife handle rather than around it. The DOF looks good though.

I did this one a while ago. The DOF starts at the ants nose and ends at the Qeen Ants tail. Rendered in Iray.

Click on image for full size.

road-block-i-005.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 655K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

my first wip is done.It didn't look as dark in the viewport in Studio, but it does in the Windows photo viewer.So I opened it in GIMP and messed around with the "Dynamic Range Extender" to get the postworked image.

DOF contest WIP 1.jpg
    1204 x 873 - 548K
    DOF contest WIP 1_post.jpg
    1204 x 873 - 1M
  • The adjusted one looks great on my screen.   Using Win 7

• IceCream. 

I tried the DoF during the landscape challenge. I think I'm understanding it better now. 

IceCream.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 149K
  •  

ewcarman said:

IceCream. 

I tried the DoF during the landscape challenge. I think I'm understanding it better now. 

That is an excellent example.   DoF in general, is used to separate the main subject of the image from the background, and that is done very well in my opinion.

• That is an excellent example.   DoF in general, is used to separate the main subject of the image from the background, and that is done very well in my opinion.

Thank you.

• Hey everyone ^^

I've finnaly done customizing my scene and I wanna hear your opinions on it :P 

If you have any idea/s on how I can improve it, i'll be glad to hear it. 

Witch HuntFHD.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 1M
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Hey everyone ^^

It took a while before I realized those shadows were men following/hunting her and not just shadows of vegetation. Imo they blend in too much with the overall landscape shadows and those are a bit too much too. More than half the picture is just a large black field. If it was possible to distinguish the followers a bit more I would think it would improve a lot.

That's just my opinion as a viewer of the image. Take it for what you will. :)

•  

isidorn said:

Hey everyone ^^

It took a while before I realized those shadows were men following/hunting her and not just shadows of vegetation. Imo they blend in too much with the overall landscape shadows and those are a bit too much too. More than half the picture is just a large black field. If it was possible to distinguish the followers a bit more I would think it would improve a lot.

That's just my opinion as a viewer of the image. Take it for what you will. :)

Yea I was thinking about that too,but I don't like to post work my stuff in intense ways (it'll need some serious reawork to get them to be visible) 

i'm considering to rea-render it. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion ^^