Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

191011121315»

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I have quite a few of those and haven't seen any additional updates for them, so that makes it even odder. Are they installed or just downloaded (many of them I don't have installed, and none through DIM - except the filters, of coruse).

Every item in the screenshot is installed with DIM. I agree that there have been no real updates for them. I don't know any reason they should appear in the Ready to Download tab or why they should later disappear from that tab without me downloading them again. Even stranger, this has happened multiple times over the course of months.

Maybe some security software periodically decides to block some files in the ManifestFiles folder?  See if there was an update when it happened?  A web-of-trust reset that decides to block the files, then releases them when it determines that enough people have okayed them? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,169

Fixmypcmike said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I have quite a few of those and haven't seen any additional updates for them, so that makes it even odder. Are they installed or just downloaded (many of them I don't have installed, and none through DIM - except the filters, of coruse).

Every item in the screenshot is installed with DIM. I agree that there have been no real updates for them. I don't know any reason they should appear in the Ready to Download tab or why they should later disappear from that tab without me downloading them again. Even stranger, this has happened multiple times over the course of months.

Maybe some security software periodically decides to block some files in the ManifestFiles folder?  See if there was an update when it happened?  A web-of-trust reset that decides to block the files, then releases them when it determines that enough people have okayed them? 

I just have the built in Windows 10 security and the free Malwarebytes. I haven't associated the DIM problem with any Windows or Malwarebytes updates, but I can keep an eye out for a correllation. Malwarebytes says it has never quarantined anything. Windows has never given me any kind of alert about detected files.

barbult said:

Fixmypcmike said:

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I just have the built in Windows 10 security and the free Malwarebytes. I haven't associated the DIM problem with any Windows or Malwarebytes updates, but I can keep an eye out for a correllation. Malwarebytes says it has never quarantined anything. Windows has never given me any kind of alert about detected files.

I've had some problems with malwarebytes real-time, but not the on-demand version.  Try tunning malwarebytes and see if the 63 show up again, and check if the .dsx files for those products have strange permission or ownership settings. 

Fixmypcmike said:

I've had some problems with malwarebytes real-time, but not the on-demand version.  Try tunning malwarebytes and see if the 63 show up again, and check if the .dsx files for those products have strange permission or ownership settings. 

Finally a clue! I tried to look in my DIM downloads folder for any strange permissions or ownership settings on the mysterious 63 zip and dsx files. I looked for about 10 randomly selected products from the list.  I don't have zip or dsx files for any of them in my Downloads folder! I never (intentionally delete the packages after download and never remove them manually).  When Richard asked if I keep the dsx files, I confidently answered "yes". I had no idea that some had disappeared from the downloads folder sometime later. So, I wonder what happened to them. The products are installed on my computer and show up in the Installed tab of DIM. I do have the installed DSX files in the manifest folder.

Scanning with Malwarebytes did not cause the 63 to reappear in DIM Ready to Download. It did not find any threats or quarantine anything.

So, I guess my plan now is to experiment with uninstalling a few of those 63 products. Then they will reappear in my Ready to Download again and I will download and install them. That should get the zip and dsx back in my downloads folder where they belong. It is still a mystery to me why they periodically would show up in Ready to Download tab and then disappear again, only to return weeks later.

edited January 21

I have uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled these product from the list of 63.

Edit: but here is another mystery. Even though I have Install after Download checked, after I redownloaded these packages, they did not automatically install. They just stayed in the Ready to Install tab and I had to install them as a separate operation. I guess that is just because I clicked the Download button instead of checking them and running the queue.

So I did a few more.

Screenshot 2024-01-20 212858 Redownloaded.jpg
    909 x 222 - 70K
    Post edited by barbult on

I can't find any way to get DIM to download the missing zip and dsx files without uninstalling the products.

barbult said:

I can't find any way to get DIM to download the missing zip and dsx files without uninstalling the products.

You could temporarity change the ManifestFiles location, so nothing appears to be installed, then anything that wasn't in the downloads folder would show up as ready to download.  Presumably it would be the 63 items.  That would explain why it's only those 63 items, but we still don't know why DIM isn't seeing them in ManifestFiles.  When the 63 items appear, does the Installed tab still show everything else as installed, or does everything else show up as ready to install?

They dsx files were in the Manifest files folder, but not in the downloads folder. DIM did know that the products were installed. When the 63 products appear as Ready to Download, all installed products are still in the installed tab, I believe. On the screenshot, I think you can see that DIM say thousands of products are installed.

barbult said:

They dsx files were in the Manifest files folder, but not in the downloads folder. DIM did know that the products were installed. When the 63 products appear as Ready to Download, all installed products are still in the installed tab, I believe. On the screenshot, I think you can see that DIM say thousands of products are installed.

It also shows over 4000 ready to install -- is that correct? 

edited January 21

Fixmypcmike said:

barbult said:

It also shows over 4000 ready to install -- is that correct? 

Yes I have a lot of old V4 M4 era stuff I don't install. And even most Genesis and Genesis 2 stuff are in that tab.

Post edited by barbult on
  • OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 362

barbult said:

Edit to add: Why would they change the product GUID for an update?

There are three GUIDs stored in the Install Manifest.

• GlobalID - Identifies the product within the "market"
    • MetadataGlobalID - Identifies the product within the "ecosystem", should match the GlobalID in the Metadata Support File.
      • It appears GlobalID and MetadataGlobalID should be the same (always?)
    • ProductFileGuid - The MD5 digest of the Install Manager package (ZIP file) formatted as a GUID

The first two should not change once a product is distributed, regardless of updates and fixes.

The last one will change every time a package is changed. Packages are not versioned, but use this unique ID instead. When Install Manager retrieves the list of available packages for your account from the DAZ3D servers, the ProductFileGuid currently being distributed is included. Install Manager compares this to the ProductFileGuid it recorded previously when installing a package and reports an update as available if they are not the same.

Thank you for that clarification about the GUIDs.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

I have had the CMS turn off by itself a few times, causing me to question why the metadata is not available when installing new stuff. As it is, the gray and grayer button does not exactly grab your attention when it has changed, unless you are watching it. How about something with a little colour? Green for ON, maybe? Keep the gray for OFF...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011

NorthOf45 said:

I have had the CMS turn off by itself a few times, causing me to question why the metadata is not available when installing new stuff. As it is, the gray and grayer button does not exactly grab your attention when it has changed, unless you are watching it. How about something with a little colour? Green for ON, maybe? Keep the gray for OFF...

"Installing new stuff" suggests you may have closed DS and started DIM in quick succession, or vice versa. That can lead to PostgreSQL still being busy closing down when the start signal is sent by the other application, or even the signal not being sent if the timing if perfectly unhelpful. It isn't necessary to close the one to use the other. (Not that that has any bearing on the requeat for clearer differentiation.)

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

"Installing new stuff" suggests you may have closed DS and started DIM in quick succession, or vice versa. That can lead to PostgreSQL still being busy closing down when the start signal is sent by the other application, or even the signal not being sent if the timing if perfectly unhelpful. It isn't necessary to close the one to use the other. (Not that that has any bearing on the requeat for clearer differentiation.)

Timing the start/stop of the two might have been the cause. That is totally up to me, but easy to overlook as I rarely do it, but, as you say, does not detract from a need for better status indication.

• cmayaf17cmayaf17 Posts: 0

Torquinox 

Hello, I have worked with daz for years, yesterday I formatted the computer deleting all the programs and records, now when I go to install using daz install managen I get a message that says that there is already a version of daz installed, which is impossible, since I just formatted the computer and it does not have any programs installed. Do you know if daz install mananger is having any problems lately.