No Renderer Available Message

13»

Comments

• Oh my, oh my - this is fun!

Graphics professional is bit miffed with these guys - glad I'm retired and out of the pro-graphics industry and just a plain civilian now.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-web-driver-for-mac-os-for-volta-architecture/216498/1

This thing could run and run - now back to the music!

• SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 33
    edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

Did a bit of digging around and it seems some Nvidia certificates (on MAC) expired on June 1st, Iray is still Nvidia, so it's probably related.

Edit: Anyone tried the obvious, ie. turning back the clock to May?

I did try that, but apparently once triggered, it is enforced. I also tried turning the clock back and disconnecting from the internet to avoid the program or computer from doing an NTP time check. I'm leaning toward the nVidia certificate/signing expiration date you suggested. 

When I can get access to the 3rd mac that still has the broken 4.16 on it, I might try this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-install-or-use-nvidia-webdrivers-anymore.2346445/page-10?post=31147885#post-31147885

Post edited by Squirrel on

ice_8c4a41dc said:

Oh my, oh my - this is fun!

Graphics professional is bit miffed with these guys - glad I'm retired and out of the pro-graphics industry and just a plain civilian now.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-web-driver-for-mac-os-for-volta-architecture/216498/1

This thing could run and run - now back to the music!

Ouch! Now that really hurts. The hackintosh community just got the nVidia web drivers working on OS Monterey with OpenCore, so I'd bet they re-signed them as part of that hack. Mind you, that is only for cards that were supported by the web drivers, so nothing past the RX1080.

edited June 2022

OHH! One note for those upgrading to 4.20 to resolve the issue: After upgrading, my iRay CPU Load Limit was left at 1 core. Make sure to check your iray advance options and crank the core count back up to max, or your render times will be really bad.

Edit: This may only happen to those of us that clicked the Load Limit buttons and got the resulting crash while still on 4.16.

Post edited by Squirrel on
  • SestiferSestifer Posts: 10

I upgraded to v4.20. It seems I didn't had the CPU Load limit issue. It seems to have solved the DS issue. BUT... it seems I really have big drivers issues.
    Viewport is slow. The rest off DS seems to be working.
    But I can't reach anymore the NVidia nor the CUDA drivers in System preferences. I tried 2 softwares : I had a flickering screen. VLC doesn't work anymore... It Just flickers.

It just looks like driver incompatibility. I remember, yesterady evening, when the problem occured, my HDD was making a lot of noise and was working really hard. I really wonder if Apple had made some big changes or updates that made NVidia's driver nearly unusuable. I'd be interested to know if somebody else has such problems.

I restarted the computer twice... no improvement...
    I'm about to replace my NVidia graphic card by my old AMD 5770... making me loose on of my screens :( otherwise, my computer is nearly unusuable for some video works

Sestifer said:

I upgraded to v4.20. It seems I didn't had the CPU Load limit issue. It seems to have solved the DS issue. BUT... it seems I really have big drivers issues.
    Viewport is slow. The rest off DS seems to be working.

Read up a few posts. ice_8c4a41dc posted that all of nVidia web drivers died in the last few days. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Sestifer said:

I upgraded to v4.20.

I really wonder if Apple had made some big changes or updates that made NVidia's driver nearly unusuable. I'd be interested to know if somebody else has such problems.

There are no compatible Nvidia drivers for DS 4.20 on Mac since Apple and Nvidia broke up, Iray rendering is possible only with the CPU.

• SestiferSestifer Posts: 10

Thank you for your answer. I'll have a look at these posts...
    I'm back on a dual screen :( I gained in silence what I've lost in productivity... I was about to buy a new PC dedicated to DS and Video editing in several month, hoping to keep my Mac for a while... but now, I'm really thinking to switch back to Windows and just keep only one little mac for small administratives tasks...
    I'm not happy at all with this problem :(

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

can Mac users change which display hardware they are using for a specific program like Windows users can?

not using your Nvidia card at all for DAZ studio might fix it if you have some built in graphics 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

can Mac users change which display hardware they are using for a specific program like Windows users can?

not using your Nvidia card at all for DAZ studio might fix it if you have some built in graphics 

Two different issues going on here. The OP issue is the nVidia iRay plugin for DAZ stopped working around June 1st. It fails on older DAZ versions regardless of what video card you have (AMD/nVidia/Intel). The second issue that some of us suspect is related is nVidia certficates expiring. The web drivers that use those certificates allow some Macs to use video cards that Apple didn't support. Once those drivers shut down, then that card is essentially useless in the Mac for any application, not just DAZ. Some of us suspect Apple may have blocked certain nVidia software either by expired certificate or by code signature... and that may be what took DAZ iRay rendering out too. I must state, all speculation on why the iRay plugin failed is just that... speculation.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202

Before I bite the bullet, I just want to verify that if I update from 4.16 to 4.20 (regular, not beta) that will sove the "no renderer" problem.  I'm on an M1 Mac running the latest Monterey.  Thanks!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

Well, I bit the bullet today. I went up to DS 4.20.0.17, but I'm on Catalina, 10.15.7, not on Monterey, and on a late 2013 Macintosh Pro, not on an M1 Mac.  For me, yes, this did fix the "no render engine available" problem. I haven't found anything wrong with the 4.20 version, but, of course, I haven't tested it out much yet.

Ok, I updated too and that problem went away.

Glad that did it for you.

@CMacks: You might want to addjust these two settings in DS 4.20.0.17: First Screen Shot: In Render Settings/Editor/Progressive Rendering, you could crank up the maximum number of settings. The default is 500, I think. Second Screen Shot: In Render Settings/Advanced/Hardware, you might want to crank up the CPU Load Limit. The default was 1 on my computer.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.45.51 AM.png
    510 x 587 - 96K
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.47.39 AM.png
    510 x 593 - 52K

Thanks.  I upped the first to 15000 like you said (although I don't think it matters since I usually stop renders early).  For the second, it was already at 10, and that seems to be the max.

• RainRain Posts: 335

I just got the the Unable to Render message today.  I'm on an older Mac with CPU only., running 4.11 as I was afraid to upgrade to the newer version.  I guess I have nothing to lose now but I have a feeling it'll be bye-bye Daz for me.  

• spuffy said:

I just got the the Unable to Render message today.  I'm on an older Mac with CPU only., running 4.11 as I was afraid to upgrade to the newer version.  I guess I have nothing to lose now but I have a feeling it'll be bye-bye Daz for me.  

Hi,

Try it - you will probably be fine.

Good luck - enjoy.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,050

Sorry, I started a new thread in the Commons just now (Saturday June 11 2022) about this No Rendererer Available problem.  I read through this thread.  What, exactly, was the solution?  Or was there a solutuion?

• Fauvist said:

Sorry, I started a new thread in the Commons just now (Saturday June 11 2022) about this No Rendererer Available problem.  I read through this thread.  What, exactly, was the solution?  Or was there a solutuion?

Update your version of Daz Studio, try the beta.

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

Update your version of Daz Studio, try the b

All my characters were made using GenX.  Is GenX going to still work with the new version of Studio?

• Fauvist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

All my characters were made using GenX.  Is GenX going to still work with the new version of Studio?

Yes, plug-in compatibility has not chnaged (that will happen, we have been told, in Daz Studio 5). But as I meant say, try the beta rather than updating your General Release just to check (if it's your first beta you may need to reinstall some plug-ins, though as far as I know using characters converted with GenX doesn't require the plug-in be present)..

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

Yes, plug-in compatibility has not chnaged (that will happen, we have been told, in Daz Studio 5). But as I meant say, try the beta rather than updating your General Release just to check (if it's your first beta you may need to reinstall some plug-ins, though as far as I know using characters converted with GenX doesn't require the plug-in be present)..

Thanks.  I will duplicate my DAZStudio folder and move the duplicate to an external hard drive.  Then install the beta on my computer and see if it works. 

• RainRain Posts: 335

I downloaded and installed the new version of DAZ and I no longer get the dreaded Unable to Render message, so thank you ice_8c4a41dc.  

I believe you can have both your regular version of DAZ Studio and the beta on your hard drive at the same time. See the comments earlier in this thread.

inquire said:

I believe you can have both your regular version of DAZ Studio and the beta on your hard drive at the same time. See the comments earlier in this thread.

I already have a previous Beta version on my computer's hard drive 

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Fauvist said:

I downloaded the Daz Studio 4.2 beta Public Build.  I can render in Iray once again.  But the GenX plug-in doesn't work any more.  It can't find the source figures.  And I can't drag the source figures into the GenX pane.  The characters I previously created using GenX do load from my Content folders, and they render all right.  I checked the Plug-Ins folder and GenX has a green light meaning it's usable.  But it doesn't work.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,312
    edited June 2022

@Fauvist - If this is the first time you have installed a DS4.x Beta, then there are files that GenX uses that need copying from the standard build to the beta. (I'm not certain whether re-installing GenX2 and any add-ons would also put them in the right place)

I think they need copying within " AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/" between folders "Studio4/GenX2/" to "Studio4 Public Build/GenX2/" - careful you copy, don't move or you won't be able to use GenX2 in your normal build.

Post edited by MelanieL on

MelanieL said:

@Fauvist - If this is the first time you have installed a DS4.x Beta, then there are files that GenX uses that need copying from the standard build to the beta. (I'm not certain whether re-installing GenX2 and any add-ons would also put them in the right place)

I think they need copying within " AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/" between folders "Studio4/GenX2/" to "Studio4 Public Build/GenX2/" - careful you copy, don't move or you won't be able to use GenX2 in your normal build.

Hi, thank you for telling me.  I have already done that.  It looks like the files from the normal build and the public build beta are in exactly the same folders in each version of Studio.  Yesterday the iray renderer wouldn't work, so I upgraded to the newest version of Studio, and now the GenX plugin won't work.  What a miserable experience.