No Renderer Available Message

Today, for the first time, when I try to render, I get the message that there is no renderer available. I've checked the Render Settngs, and the CPU was not checked. I have checked it in one and then in both locations. Nothing. Same message. I'm using Macilntosh version of DS 4.16.0.3, on the Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina). I've checked that NVIDIA Iray is checked. I have to render in CPU because I don't have an NVIDIA Graphics Card.

I've used DS for years. This is the first time this has ever happened. Please also refer to the screen shots. How do I get DS to render again? It was rendering fine yesterday.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 12.04.22 PM.png
299 x 123 - 9K
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 12.05.13 PM.png
506 x 1178 - 60K

Comments

• This is extremely odd. I encountered the exact same issue yesterday 1st June 2022.
    My circumstances appear to be identical to yours - iMac Retina 5k 27" with 32GB RAM and 8TB of storage, running OS Catalina.
    I have been using DAZ Studio on this machine with out problems prior to this, other than the Catalina update broke the dForce simulation using the Open CL kernels.
    Frankly, I'm totally baffled by this situation.
    Any ideas as how to remedy this is very welcome.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

As there seems to be several users with the same problem that suddenly appeared at the same time for everyone => Some update is the culprit

• ice_8c4a41dcice_8c4a41dc Posts: 36
    edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

As there seems to be several users with the same problem that suddenly appeared at the same time for everyone => Some update is the culprit

Normally that would make sense - when something goes wrong, simply ask "what changed?".
    The thing is, my Mac is rigged to stop any auto-updates because Apple decided to sneak in too many "Security Updates" that had a tendency to screw things up. All my downloads are screened.
    It does seem odd that this occurred almost simultaneously for us?
    Oh, hum - back to trawling through the wreckage to see if I can find any clues!

Post edited by ice_8c4a41dc on

Does Apple suffer from belated Y2K problem? cheeky

• 2 out of 3 of my Macs stopped rendering with Iray yesterday.

No idea what's causing it, but on the one Mac where Iray is still working, I have newer (4.16 and 4.20) versions of DAZ Studio installed.  The 2 Macs where Iray stopped are running 4.12.0.86 and 4.15.something.

Lee

If it's not due to some update, then it must be about the date - Some licence expired?

Otherwise highly unlikely that several people get the same problem at the same time

• PerttiA said:

Does Apple suffer from belated Y2K problem? cheeky

Apple thinks they are so far ahead it would be a Y3K problem.
    Think Different!

Anyhow - I have just checked all my operating systems files, and nothing is time-stamped as being added, or modified, in any manner during yesterday up to and including my attempt to render something that had been rendered perfectly the previous day. Nothing was written to any disk attached to the computer. All I wanted to do was run the same render again, but the message pops up as in the screen grabs supplied by the OP.
    This is really too bizarre.

• leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

2 out of 3 of my Macs stopped rendering with Iray yesterday.

No idea what's causing it, but on the one Mac where Iray is still working, I have newer (4.16 and 4.20) versions of DAZ Studio installed.  The 2 Macs where Iray stopped are running 4.12.0.86 and 4.15.something.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I have just fired up Daz Studio 4.16.0.3 on my iMac Retina to look for clues regarding this issue. I have just created a new document containing a single sphere and get this same error when attempting to render the object. As it is a Mac problem, I went to the Advanced Render Tab, and the boxes for both Photoreal and Interactive CPU options are not ticked. O.K. tick both of them to theoretically make them active and return to the main window and save the file. Reopen the file and for some reason, the CPU options are back to being unchecked. It would appear that the option to use the CPU for rendering is not "sticking". This occurs on every occasion - if you check the tick box to use the CPU, if you then quit and re-open Daz the check boxes revert to being unchecked.

I'm not sure if this is caused by a corrupt preferences file, but it is very mysterious that several Mac users have almost identical issues on the same date. I will now do a deep virus scan to see if anything has got through the Firewall.

Have you checked your log file for clues?

Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File

• The solution I used to fix the lack of Iray rendering is not ideal and I preferred not to go down this route.

On my M1 iMac (the Mac I render with daily), I updated my DAZ Studio beta to the latest beta (4.20.1.38).  That meant my custom lighting (ghost lights) no longer worked, but I had KindredArts' Iray Ghost Light Kit and made quick work of reconstructing my lighting rig.  The lights still need a little more tuning, but I'm pretty happy so far.

I still have the non-beta DAZ Studio version that doesn't render Iray, just in case there's a simple fix allowing Iray to work with it again.

Certainly not a solution that will appeal to or work for everyone.

The problem feels like a software timebomb or killswitch, but we'll have to see what information surfaces going forward.

Lee

edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

Have you checked your log file for clues?

Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File

That was next on my to-do list, but while scratching around for clues on here, I found this exact same issue reported way back in June 2019. - It appears to not have been resolved.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4663341/#Comment_4663341

The fact it happened in the same month is rather coincidental - all very weird.

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 850
    edited June 2022

And here's another forum thread about the same issue. I posted in that one yesterday.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/542876/unable-to-render-error#latest

Before we get too far along, BIG THANKS to ice_8c4a41dc and PerttiA for investigating and looking for solutions!  We appreciate the generous help. :)

Lee

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,130
    edited June 2022

I have scanned DS for viruses. None. But I scan all new fies everyday. Also, I check to see if any new files were downloaded on the day and the day before. I did find a "DAZ Content Management Service.log." It's not infected. But I duplicated it and moved the copy to the Desktop in order to investigate it. It reads, in part: 

"/*************************************************************************************/
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.421655 DAZ Content Management Service (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690528 (TID 4513979840): VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690573 (TID 4513979840): Server started
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690592 (TID 4513979840): Non-secure port: 27997"

So it's saying that the VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found. So, is that it? Is that why I get the no render engine available message?

Post edited by inquire on
  • inquire said:

I have scanned DS for viruses. None. But I scan all new fies everyday. Also, I check to see if any new files were downloaded on the day and the day before. I did find a "DAZ Content Management Service.log." It's not infected. But I duplicated it and moved the copy to the Desktop in order to investigate it. It reads, in part: 

"/*************************************************************************************/
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.421655 DAZ Content Management Service (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690528 (TID 4513979840): VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690573 (TID 4513979840): Server started
    Wed Jun  1 2022 10:25:31.690592 (TID 4513979840): Non-secure port: 27997"

So it's saying that the VProject facilities are disabled since no appropriate license found. So, is that it? Is that why I get the no render engine available message?

I will have to have a look for that on my computer, although my earlier sweep didn't turn up any changed on that date. Regarding the "facilities disabled" flag, I had a quick check on these forums and turned up this from way back in 2013, but there is no mention of the "renderer nor available" message.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34093/content-managment-service-is-missing

edited June 2022

Deleted.

edited June 2022

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

And here's another forum thread about the same issue. I posted in that one yesterday.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/542876/unable-to-render-error#latest

Before we get too far along, BIG THANKS to ice_8c4a41dc and PerttiA for investigating and looking for solutions!  We appreciate the generous help. :)

Lee

No problem, and yes, I did see your post in the other thread after I had commented here - we are all suffering this strange occurrence and need a fix. The sooner the better!

So, are the DAZ tech support people going to intervene in this and correct the situation? Does anyone think so?

inquire said:

So, are the DAZ tech support people going to intervene in this and correct the situation? Does anyone think so?

Has anyone sent a ticket? They are not here. 

• I sent in a help desk ticket a few minutes ago describing the Iray issue.  Others might need to do the same with specifics on their hardware, macOS version, DAZ Studio version to help the DAZ team track down the problem.

Lee

• mugahazemugahaze Posts: 5

Same issue. iMac late 2015 running Catalina 10.15.7. Daz Studio 4.15.0.30.  Iray working last night 2nd June 2022. Auto updates disabled, computer switched off overnight. No renderer Available this morning 3rd June 2022. I have submitted a ticket.

• O.K. Ticket submitted - now we shall have to wait and see.

• A very nice support team member has replied to my ticket.  I'm waiting on another response before potentially relaying what I was told.

Lee

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,605

I think I am someone that can add another to list of people that can't render.

• GhostofMacbeth said:

I think I am someone that can add another to list of people that can't render.

The best thing you can do in this situation is to raise a ticket with support. The more people that make them aware of the issue, then the sooner we may have a solution.

This is remarkably odd for there to be a cluster of these "renderer unavailable" events, so close together.

IIRC, Microsoft recently had a very strange thing happening with Office 365 that seemingly only occurred on the Mac platform. I believe it was due to something very minor that changed on their server system, but suddenly became a real annoyance to a bunch their customers. Enough people kicked up a fuss to get it resolved very quickly.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• mugahazemugahaze Posts: 5
    edited June 2022

Ticket reply [asked if updating drivers helped]

I can't see why drivers would stop working overnight with no updates to any software. Nevertheless, has anyone tried updating to the latest Daz Studio and fixed this renderer unavailable problem?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 850
    edited June 2022

mugahaze said:

Ticket reply [asked if updating drivers helped]

I can't see why drivers would stop working overnight with no updates to any software. Nevertheless, has anyone tried updating to the latest Daz Studio and fixed this renderer unavailable problem?

Same ticket reply that I received yesterday.

I updated my beta version of DAZ Studio to 4.20.1.38 (current beta vesion a couple of days ago) to solve the problem.  See some additional details in my previous post in this thread regarding ghost lights.

Lee

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Please do not quote CS tickets - while in soem cases it may be fine it does have the potential to present an official response to a specific question in a way that seems more general, potentially causing confusion or worse.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Is everyone with the problem using "CPU Load Limit" set to "1"?

Has anyone tried setting it to use more than 1 CPU core to see if that works?

I have an old copy of 4.12.1.117 beta to test on Windows 10 and it renders fine for me with a single core CPU only render. As does both the current general release and current beta.

This is a complete guess and random attempt to help as I'm not a mac user, but maybe there is something going on with the scheduler that is locking the DS renderers to a specific single core and when it's not available it just fails and refuses to run.

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,605

That is unfortunate ...

I, too, filed a ticket. I got the same response others got, about drivers and about installing the latest DS.

If I do install the beta (never done that before), can I tell where the install files are, & which they are, so that I can delete them if I uninstall the beta? Any trouble with having 4.16.0.3 and a beta 4.20.x on the same HD?