No Renderer Available Message

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

I never seem to know what to download. Here's what I find when I search, in DIM, for "beta" (See screen shot). Do I have to download all of  these? 

Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 11.14.01 AM.png
    659 x 318 - 68K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

all the yellow highlighted ones

I am a Windows user with 4.11 as my release build because I don't have a RTX card so need the Optix prime disabled to get more VRAM

I use the latest beta (mostly for Filament which sadly you still have no support for) as well with no issues 

so running both on Mac should be possible too

IceCrMn said:

Is everyone with the problem using "CPU Load Limit" set to "1"?

Has anyone tried setting it to use more than 1 CPU core to see if that works?

I have an old copy of 4.12.1.117 beta to test on Windows 10 and it renders fine for me with a single core CPU only render. As does both the current general release and current beta.

This is a complete guess and random attempt to help as I'm not a mac user, but maybe there is something going on with the scheduler that is locking the DS renderers to a specific single core and when it's not available it just fails and refuses to run.

If I try to set the CPU core to more than 1, DS instantly crashes.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

all the yellow highlighted ones

Do need for the DSON Importer (Poser, and there can be only one anyway as far as I know), PostgreSQL (there can be only one, stick with the identical general release version), or Valentina to PostgreSQL tool (needed to be run once by users who had a database using the old Valentina engine that they wished to keep using in PostgreSQL, but Valentina was dropped arounf 4.6 I think and hasn't been an option since 4.8 or 4.9).

I am a Windows user with 4.11 as my release build because I don't have a RTX card so need the Optix prime disabled to get more VRAM

I use the latest beta (mostly for Filament which sadly you still have no support for) as well with no issues 

so running both on Mac should be possible too

@RichardHaseltine: Thanks very much. And, is it easy to tell which are the install files for the beta, in case I delete the beta app and want to delete it's install files? Will the beta be in my Applicaitons Folder, labeled 4.20 X beta?

• leemoon_c43b45a114leemoon_c43b45a114 Posts: 850
    edited June 2022

I have been using both a beta and regular build on all 3 of my Macs for some months now.  No issues with having both installed and switching between them.  I don't recall if each maintains a separate copy/data of/in the content databases or not.  It *seems* like my favorites in one version don't automatically appear in the other.  Not a show stopper if my recollection of that is correct.

My biggest concern was with ghost lights which has been discussed at great length elsewhere.  I have a simple lighting setup that I use for my portrait renders.  There are 3 ghostlights in it.  It probably took less than 30 minutes to recreate my ghost lights to closely match what I had before.  A big thank you to KindredArts.  I had their Iray Ghost Lights Kit 1 which had been updated to take care of the Iray/ghost light changes.  I simply placed the appropriate ghost light style on top of my original ghost lights set the parenting and point at parameters the same.  Then I deleted the old ghost lights.  Everything works so very closely to the way it did before.  Close enough that I'm happy with the results.  I'll try SickleYield's Invislights product next to see how that works.  Might even use the 2 products together in my empty starter scene.

The bottom line re: ghost lights after moving to the latest version of DS: It wasn't as much of a traumatic experience as I thought it would be.  Actually quite nice to revisit my lighting setup and tinker with it some more. :). Of course, my lighting needs are likely meager compared to most/all others.

Just very, very happy to be Iraying again. :)

Lee

p.s. Sorry to RichardHaseltine for quoting someone's ticket response earlier.  An innocent mistake. :)

Post edited by leemoon_c43b45a114 on
  • Each application and plug-ins gets its own folder (some older, 3delight shaders may need reinstalling if you use them as they place files in the application folder). Content and the database are shared using the default paths, though they can have different settings if desired (though that would mean doubling up the content).

• inquire said:

How do I get DS to render again.

Hi,

As I noted in a previous post - I put a ticket in to Tech Support but as it is a weekend I wasn't holding my breath. 

I'm surprised by the replies that I've seen on here regarding "update the drivers". Hello! These are Apple Mac machines running on CPU only and don't require drivers when not using NVIDIA hardware. Also the thing about changing the "CPU Load Limit" - well that's a none starter, as it wasn't possible to change it and ticking the CPU boxes failed to stick. All the options in the Advanced tab appeared to be broken.

I decided to bite the bullet and fired up the Install Manager app which showed 4.20 update and all its bits available to download. Installed it and now everything works again. I won't be back in the studio until tomorrow afternoon when I should be able to giving a proper "road test", but for now - success!

I'm not sure about your concerns regarding downloading a "Beta" copy of 4.20 - it seems totally unnecessary as the full version works fine, as far as I can tell. If you want to get back to rendering, simply install it.

The one thing that troubles me is that this appears to be some sort of enforced upgrade that obviously some folks don't want - Apple are a prime example of this sort of thing

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

My biggest concern was with ghost lights which has been discussed at great length elsewhere.  

Hi,

Glad to hear you have fixed the Ghost Light issue, but for anyone else who may need it here's a link to a workaround.

https://youtu.be/K5A-uc2GRno

Hope this helps.

Richard Haseltine said:

Each application and plug-ins gets its own folder (some older, 3delight shaders may need reinstalling if you use them as they place files in the application folder). Content and the database are shared using the default paths, though they can have different settings if desired (though that would mean doubling up the content).

And what about the DIM install files? Are they easy to locate and tell that they belong to the beta version of DS? So, if I want to remove the beta and delete the install files, will that be easy to do?

• Thanks, ice_8c4a41dc!

Earlier today, I had gone back and re-used my original/old ghost light setup and just changed the opacity and luminance settings similar to what the youtube tutorial you linked to shows.  That change made the lights behave like my original setup as far as I can see.  

For the curious, you can easily make or modify your own ghost light setup or buy one of the products from the store.  Definitely take a look at the youtube tutorial that ice_8c4a41dc1 linked to.  It'll save you some time going through the forums like I did to fix the lights. LOL! :)

Thanks again, ice!

Lee

• I'm just discovering I have the same "no renderer available" problem too. I haven't filed a ticket yet.

• inquire said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Each application and plug-ins gets its own folder (some older, 3delight shaders may need reinstalling if you use them as they place files in the application folder). Content and the database are shared using the default paths, though they can have different settings if desired (though that would mean doubling up the content).

And what about the DIM install files? Are they easy to locate and tell that they belong to the beta version of DS? So, if I want to remove the beta and delete the install files, will that be easy to do?

Uninstall, then (if you kept the packages) right-click on the entries for the beta in the Ready To Install tab and remove them from there.

• Speculativism said:

I'm just discovering I have the same "no renderer available" problem too. I haven't filed a ticket yet.

Hi,

It still may be advisable to put a ticket in to Tech Support, just in case there is a more serious underlying issue here, rather than it being a simple "nudge" into updating to v.4.20. I will wait to see what response I receive to my ticket before declaring to Support that the update is a "genuine" fix.

Frankly, I find it bizarre that this could happen, for no apparent reason, with workflows that functioned flawlessly only hours before. I may be paranoid, but it does seem suspicious to the point of it actually being engineered.

• mugahazemugahaze Posts: 5

I updated to the 4.20 version via DIM. Renderer works again. 

• ice_8c4a41dc said:

Speculativism said:

I'm just discovering I have the same "no renderer available" problem too. I haven't filed a ticket yet.

Hi,

It still may be advisable to put a ticket in to Tech Support, just in case there is a more serious underlying issue here, rather than it being a simple "nudge" into updating to v.4.20. I will wait to see what response I receive to my ticket before declaring to Support that the update is a "genuine" fix.

Frankly, I find it bizarre that this could happen, for no apparent reason, with workflows that functioned flawlessly only hours before. I may be paranoid, but it does seem suspicious to the point of it actually being engineered.

Well, I doubt the Daz Illuminati has any cotnrol over Apple or much influnce of nVidia so I'm not sure how they could have engineered somethign that seems to be the interaction of code from those two rather than anything Daz did - and nVidia and Apple notoriously are not on sneaking terms, so I doubt they conspired together.

• ice_8c4a41dcice_8c4a41dc Posts: 36
    edited June 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

ice_8c4a41dc said:

Speculativism said:

Hi,

Well, I doubt the Daz Illuminati has any cotnrol over Apple or much influnce of nVidia so I'm not sure how they could have engineered somethign that seems to be the interaction of code from those two rather than anything Daz did - and nVidia and Apple notoriously are not on sneaking terms, so I doubt they conspired together.

LOL - Don't take it wrong, it's just my in-built paranoia. It just seemed to be particularly strange for so many coincidences to pop up at the same time.

I have been a Mac user for almost 35 years (and a former Authorised Reseller for around 10 of those, back in the early days), through the good times and the bad and they can be a seriously irritating outfit.

I'm not averse to updating software as long as there is a valid reason - if it ain't broke etc., but over the past few years, Apple almost crippled the entire music/recording industry with their recent changes.

Anyhow that's beside the point - the update to Daz Studiov.4.20.0.17 solves the problem but I do find it quite annoying to get boilerplate responses from CS when it seems that the support engineer appears to be ignoring the actual supplied information, i.e. Mac OS using CPU only is not a driver issue.

If any version prior to Daz Studio 4.20 is now to be regarded as "legacy" software, it would have been nice to be advised prior to the fact.

Regards

Post edited by ice_8c4a41dc on
    edited June 2022

I, too, was astonished at the response I got from Tech Support. I was told that they could not offer assistance for any version other than the current version, 4.20. Yet, there is an item in which I was asked to select which DS version I was using, and there are numerous versions listed there. Again, like others, I was told it may be my drivers which are at fault, and I should look into downloading newer drivers. Yet, I had clearly indicated I was using the Mac version of DS on a Mac.

Post edited by inquire on
  • SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 33

Have I misspoken, or is there a forum glitch? All my posts and followups have dissapeared.

edited June 2022

Squirrel said:

Have I misspoken, or is there a forum glitch? All my posts and followups have dissapeared.

Hi,

Don't know what happened there, but I have received an email from the Admin/Forum Mod stating:

Quote:

A post that you have made on the Daz 3D Forums to the "No Renderer Available Message" thread has been removed as it was in reference/reply to a post that is no longer available in the thread. Thanks for pointing out that we missed the post..

• This email was sent to you by the Daz 3D Forum Team. If you have any questions, please reply to this email or send an email to [email protected]

Yikes, somebody must have touched a nerve, I didn't point anything out to anyone, or am I just being paranoid once again? Cancel culture at its finest!

This has become like an episode of the X-Files, and at my age I don't think my heart can stand the stress! I've already had 5 Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts!

ice_8c4a41dc said:

Squirrel said:

Hi,

Don't know what happened there, but I have received an email from the Admin/Forum Mod stating:

Quote:

A post that you have made on the Daz 3D Forums to the "No Renderer Available Message" thread has been removed as it was in reference/reply to a post that is no longer available in the thread. Thanks for pointing out that we missed the post..

• This email was sent to you by the Daz 3D Forum Team. If you have any questions, please reply to this email or send an email to [email protected]

Yikes, somebody must have touched a nerve, I didn't point anything out to anyone, or am I just being paranoid once again? Cancel culture at its finest!

This has become like an episode of the X-Files, and at my age I don't think my heart can stand the stress! I've already had 5 Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts!

If they are getting touchy about speculating about the source of the bug, the unwillingness to support old versions, or references to other threads that discussed the same issue, then what is the point of the forums at all? If stating what steps I had tried in an attempt to resolve the issue runs afoul of the admins, then there is no hope at all. (And I sure didn't get any explanation why my posts were deleted.)

• SestiferSestifer Posts: 10

Hi !
    Same issue here with "No render available".

Long story : since a few weeks I was rendering 3 pictures. CPU rendering as my Mac Pro 2012 is too old. Everything was working slowly but fine. 3 days ago I started the last layer of the last picture I was working on. In about 4h, rendering status reached 89%. Then, for 2 days no visible improvement, whereas the render engine was still working. Yesterday evening, DAZ crashed as I was trying to use libreoffice calc at the same time on my computer. I started DAZ studio once again, loaded the scene again and tried to restart the render. I then discovered the "no render available issue". Same symptoms : CPU boxes unchecked, checked them again, restarted : back to unchecked state -> no render available.
    I tried on another Mac which I was using last year and which had been working great. This MAC is also linked to the Internet. Same "no render engine" issue.
    I tried on my Macbook which hasn't been connected to the internet since a few month, and which has v 4.12 installed and an old library version on an old HDD which was a former backup of my library : worked like a charm... (Except I can't use it as G8.1 doesn't work on v 4.12). 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Sestifer said:

I tried on another Mac which I was using last year and which had been working great. This MAC is also linked to the Internet. Same "no render engine" issue.
    I tried on my Macbook which hasn't been connected to the internet since a few month, and which has v 4.12 installed and an old library version on an old HDD which was a former backup of my library : worked like a charm... (Except I can't use it as G8.1 doesn't work on v 4.12).  

Sounds very much like some update for the OS, AV or drivers is the culprit. 

PerttiA said:  

Yes, I completely agree.
    edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

Sestifer said:

I disagree. The 2 machines that this happened to me were on were on EOL OS versions... in other words, they don't get patches. I even checked with SilentKnight to verify that both Gatekeeper and XProtect hadn't gotten any updates... and they had not. So no OS, AV or driver updates happened in that timeframe. 

Post edited by Squirrel on
    edited June 2022

Squirrel said:

I disagree. The 2 machines that this happened to me were on were on EOL OS versions... in other words, they don't get patches. I even checked with SilentKnight to verify that both Gatekeeper and XProtect hadn't gotten any updates... and they had not. So no OS, AV or driver updates happened in that timeframe. 

I correct myself : I'm not a native english speaking person, and I agreed with PerttiA without knowing exactly what a AV is.

What I meant by "I completely agree" was : I completely agree that someone updated something somewhere.
    Related to the tests I performed, it's not a NVidia issue (2 of my Macs have built-in Intel graphic cards). DS or Apple : I don't know, even if I have an opinion about that.
    I only post my tests results, and let everyone decide what they are thinking about it :

Mac Pro 2012 : DS v4.15 working fine until friday. Last render has reached 89% in 4hours on a quite heavy scene... and remained stuck at 89% for 2 days... DS 4 crashed. I tried to restart : viewport very slow and "no render engine" issue.
    Same Mac Pro 2012 : old DS v4.12 : same issue. Mac Pro is High Sierra : no automatic updates allowed. Last update : 05/17/2022.

Mac Mini 2014 : DS v4.15. OS : Catalina. no automatic updates allowed. Intel Graphic card. no automatic updates allowed.

Macbook Pro 2012 : DS v4.12 : High Sierra. no Internet connection. Intel Graphic card. DS V4.12 working...

Post edited by Sestifer on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited June 2022

Did a bit of digging around and it seems some Nvidia certificates (on MAC) expired on June 1st, Iray is still Nvidia, so it's probably related.

Edit: Anyone tried the obvious, ie. turning back the clock to May?

Post edited by PerttiA on

There is still something weird though : on my monitor activity, it has became impossible to have access to the GPU history... which is completely independant of DS.
    Suspicion about a change somewhere from Apple seems to be possible...

I may could check that by reinstalling last week's version of my OS... But I already have lost too much time with this problem... I don't have time for more investigations.

edited June 2022

PerttiA said:

Did a bit of digging around and it seems some Nvidia certificates (on MAC) expired on June 1st, Iray is still Nvidia, so it's probably related.

Thanks for that info @PerttiA - it would have been nice and helpful if the team in Customer Support had also done a little digging in the dirt. 

When I first encountered this "unable to render" issue it seemed to point directly back to something in Daz, because 3Delight was still functioning as expected. The NVIDIA side of it was less obvious as all the people who posted here were using CPU only, not involving any NVIDIA hardware or EGPU card.

As I noted in my earlier post - upgrading to v4.2.0.17 resolved the issue, but in my quest for a little more information I widened my search to more than Daz specific incidents. Lo, and behold - Mac Rumors site is alive with complaints about this Certificate being revoked. There is one guy who is particularly enraged that NVIDIA have effectively turned his $500 graphics card Into a paperweight. The same thread also contains a few hacks for anyone crazy enough to start poking around in the certificate code. Try these at your own risk! Personally, I am glad that I haven't invested in the external graphics card as an option.

How to make friends and influence people? I guess this will put NVIDIA into the same fan club as Apple were, when they introduced the new Macs and Big Sur (BS - good name) which almost crippled the Digital Audio Workstation plug-in industry for a couple of years. Side note: as recently as 2 days back I received an email from a plug-in manufacturer to let me know that their products are now full compliant to run on M1 Macs - marvellous news, if a little late.

For anyone interested - here's a link to the NVIDIA debacle on Mac Rumors - it's 10 pages at the moment:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cannot-install-or-use-nvidia-webdrivers-anymore.2346445/

Maybe someone should flag this thread “Solved” - Enjoy!

This has been a Public Information Bulletin 

PerttiA said:

Just tried on my Mac Pro. This did not solve the problem. It's not a surprise because my Macbook Pro (the one that hasn't been connected to the internet for a few months) was working fine a few hours ago while it was working on today's date and time . I don't think the certificate is the only cause of the problem.