Ethin's Art and ... stuff.

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425

Ethin said:

Sven Dullah said:

Hahaha cool:)) Want more^^

You asked for it!devil

These look really amazing, and are such a creative use of morphs!  Do you happen to remember how you made any of them?  Especially the green aquatic one and the last one, those are super impressive.  I have a bunch of morphs for the Dragon 3, but I've never had much luck with them myself.

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2023

Fae3D said:

These look really amazing, and are such a creative use of morphs!  Do you happen to remember how you made any of them?  Especially the green aquatic one and the last one, those are super impressive.  I have a bunch of morphs for the Dragon 3, but I've never had much luck with them myself.

Thanks. I guess doing stuff like this is just normal for me at this point.

Let see I have-

-DAZ Dragon 3 & Morphs

-Spectral Dragon

-Legendary Wings & Fins

-Crystal Dragon

-Zilladreki

-Wyverdreki

Mostly I just used the Dragon 3 Morphs and the wingless geo-graft from Zilladreki. I used the arm-less morph from Wyverdreki to shrink the arms on a few and a D-former here and there as well as the spike/plate/fin add-ons.

So mainly just lots of messing with morphs (with their limits turned off), scaling body parts and creative posing.

"... and that is how you make a baby dinosaur"  

Drekomander06.jpg
    1203 x 882 - 446K
    Post edited by Ethin on

Ethin said:

Fae3D said:

Thanks. I guess doing stuff like this is just normal for me at this point.

Let see I have-

-DAZ Dragon 3 & Morphs

-Spectral Dragon

-Legendary Wings & Fins

-Crystal Dragon

-Zilladreki

-Wyverdreki

Mostly I just used the Dragon 3 Morphs and the wingless geo-graft from Zilladreki. I used the arm-less morph from Wyverdreki to shrink the arms on a few and a D-former here and there as well as the spike/plate/fin add-ons.

So mainly just lots of messing with morphs (with their limits turned off), scaling body parts and creative posing.

"... and that is how you make a baby dinosaur"  

Ah, I see.  Very clever to use some of the different morphs from the separate characters!  I just sort of assumed that they just had one "breed" type morph, instead of separate morphs for arms and such.  I have mainly just tried using the basic morphs packs.  Will wishlist those products, thank you!

Fae3D said:

Ah, I see.  Very clever to use some of the different morphs from the separate characters!  I just sort of assumed that they just had one "breed" type morph, instead of separate morphs for arms and such.  I have mainly just tried using the basic morphs packs.  Will wishlist those products, thank you!

I decided I should make sure I wasn't leading you astray, and I was. Sorry.

you are correct, those characters are just full body "breed" morphs.

The Wyverdreki does have one utility morph to "hide" the arms by shrinking them down to nothing, an effect that can be ruffly duplicated by manually selecting the arms from the collars down and scaling them, using the morph was just a quick short cut.

I also found the geo-graft that hides the wings comes with the base figure. Face meet palm.

edited November 2023

...And since I was poking around under the hood, I decided to see what else I could break. Found that with some very creative use of scaling you could change the number of toes and fingers.

Rexy Arms.jpg
    1203 x 882 - 289K
    Post edited by Ethin on

Ethin said:

Fae3D said:

I decided I should make sure I wasn't leading you astray, and I was. Sorry.

you are correct, those characters are just full body "breed" morphs.

The Wyverdreki does have one utility morph to "hide" the arms by shrinking them down to nothing, an effect that can be ruffly duplicated by manually selecting the arms from the collars down and scaling them, using the morph was just a quick short cut.

I also found the geo-graft that hides the wings comes with the base figure. Face meet palm.

No problem!  I go through phases where I just really want to work on dragons, so the next time I do that I'll just go back and look at some of your pictures for inspiration.  Playing around with the morphs is part of the fun, after all ^_^

edited December 2023

"Conversion" of @Thorne's Ksenia from Victoria 4 to Aiko 3.

Ksenia A3 01.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 796K
    Post edited by Ethin on
    edited December 2023

Fiddling with her outfit some more.

Ksenia A3 03.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 835K
    Ksenia A3 03b.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 817K
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,649

She is lovely Ethin

DollyGirl said:

She is lovely Ethin

Thanks!

edited December 2023

Elspeth converted to Aiko 3. This one took three year and a couple tries but I finally got something I was happy with.

...and then things got a little crazy.

Elspeth A3 2023 02 base.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 824K
    Elspeth A3 2023 02 Jungle.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 1M
    Post edited by Ethin on
    edited December 2023

Nelli.

An OC I started back in 2018. Finally found the right skin texture and hair, also touched up the morphs a bit.

Nelli 2023 01.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 674K
    Post edited by Ethin on
    edited December 2023

A slightly matured version of Sarsa's and Thorne's Sylfie for A3.

So many options to choose from.

Sylfie 2023 02.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 747K
    Sylfie 2023 01.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 1M
    Sylfie 2023 03.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 770K
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • That's a pretty amazing character you've developed there. Looks amazing. Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

That's a pretty amazing character you've developed there. Looks amazing. Regards, Richard.

Thanks @richardandtracy!!

Are you talking about tha most resent post? 

• Yep. 'Mazing. Regards, Richard

I can't take all the credit, Sylfie's a real cutie to start with, Sarsa and Thorne did a wonderful job with her.

I did give her a well deserved and over due update.

Yeah, I'm probably being way too modest about all the work I put in, but I also what to show my respect for those who made the content I use.

edited December 2023

First snow.

Sylfie SnowFall 02 post.jpg
    2800 x 2100 - 3M
    Post edited by Ethin on
    edited December 2023

I wanted to do something more christmasy, everything fell through though, but here's some test shots at least.

Dody 4 MDDTaylor santa.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 1M
    Dody 4 TooCute SantaHelp.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 1M
    Aurora Christmas 2023 01.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 1M
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,649

So darn cute Ethin

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,071

They are nice, very nice. I presume (due to a 'family' likeness) that they are all A3 based still. I remain with my flabber completely ghasted. I really don't know how you do it.

Regards,

Richard.

edited January 3

DollyGirl said:

So darn cute Ethin

richardandtracy said:

They are nice, very nice.

Thanks, both of you!

richardandtracy said:

I presume (due to a 'family' likeness) that they are all A3 based still.

Nah, the first two are V4, she's wear'n my free Dody character preset I converted from A3 to V4.

A3

V4

richardandtracy said:

I really don't know how you do it.

That makes two of us, I look back at my own work and am astounded, "how can that be mine?", even though I clearly remember making it.

I have two time-laps videos on youtube of me doing characters if you want to see the process (v link in my sig v). 

Post edited by Ethin on
    edited January 19

Trying to change the Wild Gas Station over to 3DL, had to strip all the mats down to just diffuse and opacity, and turn half the props off so it would render in a timely enough manner so I could rough in the lighting. So this is basically just a lighting test.

It took 4 hours to render, anything I do from here on in will just increase the render time. If I use IRay it only takes 7 minutes. So I spent around 12 hours just to make the render take 34 times longer.

I'm starting to wonder If it is worth the time and hassle for me to continue to use 3DL, and a 96 core cpu is a bit out of my budget.

{rant mode: Actually any cpu better than the one I've got is out of my price range. My drives are so full to install something new or paint a new texture I have to remove something else. I had to pull the front off my computer and duct-tape a fan to it because the case is too old to support the cooling system my components need.}

Sorry, I think the low light is starting to get to me.

WildGasStationLightingTest 03.jpg
    1820 x 1024 - 845K
    Post edited by Ethin on
    edited January 19

Also converted SV7's Anna over to A3.

SV7 Anna for A3 02.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 840K
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Ethin said:

Trying to change the Wild Gas Station over to 3DL, had to strip all the mats down to just diffuse and opacity, and turn half the props off so it would render in a timely enough manner so I could rough in the lighting. So this is basically just a lighting test.

It took 4 hours to render, anything I do from here on in will just increase the render time. If I use IRay it only takes 7 minutes. So I spent around 12 hours just to make the render take 34 times longer.

I'm starting to wonder If it is worth the time and hassle for me to continue to use 3DL, and a 96 core cpu is a bit out of my budget.

{rant mode: Actually any cpu better than the one I've got is out of my price range. My drives are so full to install something new or paint a new texture I have to remove something else. I had to pull the front off my computer and duct-tape a fan to it because the case is too old to support the cooling system my components need.}

Sorry, I think the low light is starting to get to me.

Hahaha, I know I know! It's normal procedure for me to spend days on a scene to reduce rendertimes by some minutes:))) But it's educational lol...

It sure looks nice, though! What's the culprit? Lots of opacitymaps? UE2? Insane rendersettings?

smiley

Sven Dullah said:

Hahaha, I know I know! It's normal procedure for me to spend days on a scene to reduce rendertimes by some minutes:))) But it's educational lol...

It sure looks nice, though! What's the culprit? Lots of opacitymaps? UE2? Insane rendersettings?

smiley

Thanks! Still a lot of work to do, and if I ever get around to doing the image I wanted to do I'll probably end up changing the lighting anyway.

Yeah, it's all those tranz-mapped clumps of plants. The ones visible in the render are part of the foreground landscape, and then there are about a 1000 more I hide that are stand alone props (I'm so glad they were parented to a group so I only had to hide one thing).

I had another image in mind I tried to do just before NewYears but ended up scraping the idea after blocking in the main scene because I realized 3DL wouldn't like it (a tranz-mapped pine forest and a bunch of point lights as the main light sources). 

Ethin said:

Sven Dullah said:

smiley

Thanks! Still a lot of work to do, and if I ever get around to doing the image I wanted to do I'll probably end up changing the lighting anyway.

Yeah, it's all those tranz-mapped clumps of plants. The ones visible in the render are part of the foreground landscape, and then there are about a 1000 more I hide that are stand alone props (I'm so glad they were parented to a group so I only had to hide one thing).

I had another image in mind I tried to do just before NewYears but ended up scraping the idea after blocking in the main scene because I realized 3DL wouldn't like it (a tranz-mapped pine forest and a bunch of point lights as the main light sources). 

Hm, sounds like a nightmare. You may have noticed I avoid transmaps like the plague;) Did you turn off occlusion for the offending plants?

Sven Dullah said:

Hm, sounds like a nightmare. You may have noticed I avoid transmaps like the plague;) Did you turn off occlusion for the offending plants?

Yes. But I've only seen occlusion in UberSurface and UberEnviroment2, so unless your using UE2 and one of the occlusion options does that actually do anything? 

edited January 21

Ethin said:

Sven Dullah said:

Yes. But I've only seen occlusion in UberSurface and UberEnviroment2, so unless your using UE2 and one of the occlusion options does that actually do anything? 

No, unless you use GI like AoA ambient or IBLM , both of which use Ambient Occlusion. And the AoA lights can be flagged to use alternative shadow/SS samples, which probably makes a difference in cases like this!?

Edit: So I looked at the promos and see what you're talking about:) Don't believe you can cut rendertimes to 7min whatever you do lol.

One thing you could try on the transmapped foliage is to use the opacitymaps also for diffuse strength and specular strength. Might or might not shave off some time...

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited January 22

I tried your suggestions and it did speed things up but it also made the plants a lot darker.indecision

I also decided to try replacing the transmapped plants with full poly ones, I tested it with the render I "scraped" because 10 trees sounded easier to replace than hundreds of bushes. I found a pine tree with "real" needles then spent 6 hours untriangulating it to cut the poly count down, so much for easier.

Another lighting test, took 3 hours, with the transmapped trees 3 hours only got me half way to the upper most star and one of those hours was spent on just a single row of buckets. Navigating the scene sucks because of the poly count but at least now it'll render in my lifetime.

WinterWonderLand test 02.jpg
    2590 x 2800 - 2M
    Post edited by Ethin on