March 2015 New User Contest - Posing (WIP thread)

1234568»

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited March 2015

After all that motorbike polishing I needed to do something fun, and here it is, something like a last minute WIP or so.
    Well it is called surfing on sunshine

surfing-on-sunshine.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 794K
    water-surfing-amazing-hd-desktop-wallpapers-for-background.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 812K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    After all that motorbike polishing I needed to do something fun, and here it is, something like a last minute WIP or so.

Nice...that is a fun render.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    I re-posed the character to try to get it closer to the original image. Here is the newest render.

The pose does look closer to the original.

Perhaps some rim lighting to help her stand out from the background a bit.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    I re-posed the character to try to get it closer to the original image. Here is the newest render.

That looks very neat, Xangth, the legs are much closer to the original. Maybe you could try to give her a tad more light to give her more focus. in the moment the black boots make her feet get a little lost in the shadows.

edited December 1969

Xangth said:

The pose does look closer to the original.

Perhaps some rim lighting to help her stand out from the background a bit.

Ha!, same moment, same though but put to better advice, with the rim light, thats where you can see who has the the greater experience. ;-)
    Thanks for your comment on my render Kismet

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:

I'd echo the comments about lighting. I think the figure is well done, and she deserves better lighting ;) The little shades from the muscles in the thighs are nice, though.

The only other thing is to ask, composition-wise, is that what you want? The original Frazetta cover doesn't have a lot for you to work with (which is something I suffered from in my pose image), but I kind of feel like your background (though well done) de-escalates the tension in the scene. Your Vampirella isn't so much blotting out the planet/moon behind her, and the stuff on the side is kind of pretty. (A distinct lack of dead bodies, skulls, blood spatter, coffins, or something otherwise vampire-campy).

Anyway, it's my opinions on the image, in any case.

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

I very much like the use of fairy dust to replace the water droplets in the surfing image. Very creative!

If I could change something about the figure, it would be the left foot and the left hand. The left foot is a little too flat & not really positioned along the forces that you generate when you carve up the wave like that. With the left hand, in the original image, you can see the surfer splaying out the fingers, like he's pushing on the air. It could be the angle of the camera, but you could probably crank up the drama a bit by making the left hand a little more loose & not so edge-on.

• Linwelly said:

Indeed, that IS a lot of fun!

I think the surfer is working harder than your girl is.. all of his glutes, abdomen, and shoulders, are pulled in very tight and rounded, pushing against the water. And then he is forcing his neck in the opposite direction, out and away from the body, making it look like he has no neck. It is the push against the water of the torso vs the fighting to pull the neck forward that is keeping him in balance.

Also.. I cant tell if its the rotation of his hips away from us so we see less, or the side to side of the thighs, but her upper legs seem further apart than his..

Post edited by Whitehart Creative Arts 3-D (fionathegood) on
  • edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

Fiona, you have made a good start clearing that image up, but there is one very basic question I have: are you bound to the portrait format? Why not using a landscape a square or whatever so you have more room to move stuff around?

Guilty as charged... every time I try to put the part of image on a broader canvas, it feels like aaaaaaaagh THERES ALL THIS SPACE GET RID OF IT!. So, um. No, its just a pyschological thing. For some reason I need to have layers of depth instead of things spread out from side to side. SImplicity is the hardest thing to accomplish...

edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

Fiona, you have made a good start clearing that image up, but there is one very basic question I have: are you bound to the portrait format? Why not using a landscape a square or whatever so you have more room to move stuff around?

Guilty as charged... every time I try to put the part of image on a broader canvas, it feels like aaaaaaaagh THERES ALL THIS SPACE GET RID OF IT!. So, um. No, its just a pyschological thing. For some reason I need to have layers of depth instead of things spread out from side to side. SImplicity is the hardest thing to accomplish...

Now that would be an interesting theme for a contest: Simplicity.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to say that everyone has done an amazing job this month!

Sorry I wasn't able to comment on all images this time...I was busier this month than anticipated. Still two more days to finish up your entries, so if anyone is still struggling with something or needs some last-minute feedback on the pose or any other aspect, please feel free to ask.

edited December 1969

Yes! This was fun, and everyone was quite helpful!

As for me, I started to struggle a bit with Iray, and I think I just need time to mess around with it to optimize all the settings for it (even if I'm 100% in CPU mode since I have a AMD chipset w/ a Radeon card in this old laptop). I just found out about the Iray UberBase Shader thing while reading Sickleyield's DeviantArt page. *sigh*

Next time, I'll optimize more. Realistically, I won't have enough time to test all the little things to tweak. Still learning all the tricks in this thing!

edited March 2015

Thanks for your comments fiona and Blurst of times. I don't know a first thing about surfing but what you point out makes sense to me. And that left leg was bugging me from the beginning. I have to see if I can make it in time for the contest, if not, I still would try to finish it,
    I guess I have to dial up her fitness to make her muscles show or something like that...
    what a thought bodybuilding faery :lol:

Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited December 1969

I tried to adress the probelms mentioned before, got the legs more into a line and corrected the left hand, the head and made the general body more tense in the control of the surfing.
    I guess I see now more clearly some of the problems you had in your renders, as the positioning gets much more complicated when the body is not more ore less frontal but spreads into the depth of the image.
    The relations even with the plane with the original in the scene moving to the position you are working with will never match as precisely, so I hope I havn't been to harsh on you with all my comments and nitpicking on your renders.

What I will take with me from this contest ist the it makes sense to use a reference for some poses, stick a far as it makes sense for my own render, it will come out more naturally than just posing around. especially when looking for weight and balance aspects.

Thanks ot all of you taking the time and offering help, and good luck to everyone who enters the contest, I think the decision will not be an easy one once again. There are many great ideas and very good renders around in this month challenge.

Surfing-on-sunshine2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 801K
  • Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments. After taking a final look at my render the one thing I would change is the male's specularity but I'll let it go and be satisfied with what I've got . For me, nothing takes up more time than trying to fix every little adjustment that comes along 'cause it can drive you bonkers:)

edited December 1969

Just a reminder that the contest closes tonight...if you haven't posted your final renders yet, you have a few hours left in which to do so.

Please remember to include the image title and list all software used.

• SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited March 2015

Hello,

Not really finish the postwork but ....

Render with DAZ Studio 4.8

Contest-March-Milk01-Sio.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 289K
    des-pin-up-shabillent-avec-des-eclaboussures-de-lait-pour-illustrer-onctueusement-un-calendrier-sexy-2.jpg
    600 x 844 - 175K
    Post edited by Siotrad on
    edited December 1969

Hello,

Not really finish the postwork but ....

Render with DAZ Studio 4.8

Looking good! The milky "dress" is particularly impressive. Don't forget to post it to the contest entries thread if you want to enter the contest.
  • SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited March 2015

Lol thanks ... i thought i posted in it :)

And the dress is principaly ... copy and past ;) with some work but not really satisfy.

Post edited by Siotrad on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Very last Call for renders to be posted to the Entry thread

edited December 1969

The contest is now closed.

• Hi all! I wanted to let everyone know that I opted not to finish the second pose render... mostly because the girl was lying down, and I could never make her fit the vertical space of the jar is a good way, she was always going to look tiny, and with the amount of busy going on around her, out cluttered and out done by the rest of the image.

I did, however, finish the boy version for the Hivewire 3d bird contest. It had to use a bird from one of their vendors as part of the rules, but it was a high quality product and something that will be very useful. Because the boy was in a crouched "shooting" position, I had more options for placing him in the scene. (Plus, I was not stuck with the pose, though it didnt end up changing).

I wanted to thank all of you, from this month, and last month. Firstoff, I learned about lighting, and how to use compositing when lighting wasnt working together for the different parts of the image. I ended up using only one set of lights, and kept them in the same spots, but I could not get them to illuminate the different parts of the image correctly no matter where they went. So they got photoshopped to being the right saturation and brightness.

Second.. ye olde poke through. No matter how much I turned up the collision and smoothing, autofit was still making pokethrough issues.

And lastly- I think I have to render final images from a newly opened file, on a machine that has been rebooted, and is cooled down.. without opening a new file, it sometimes does not use "optimized" images, I think. I am wondering whether overheating/overtaxation of my RAM and or video card is causing weird smudges, blips and blobs in the render. Rendering can use up to 90% or more of my available RAM... and I am only ever rendering on .5 at the lowest. The joys of doing his kind of work on a laptop...

In any case, I wanted to show the boy version, even if it doesnt use the posing part of the challenge, because so much of what was said about trying to get the focus to be on the child and not lose them in the clutter was very helpful and I used it in the image. It is not the best piece I have ever done, but I am not embarrassed by it.

That being said... I have learned that getting a good render is a thousand times better, for me, than trying to find and clean up a lot of messy details in photoshop. But everyone has their thing! Also, I ended up submitting a darker, more contrasted image to the Hivewire gallery because for some reason when I posted my first entry to their contest, it looked cloudy and grey compared to how it looked when I submitted it. This is probably from them transferring my entry first to their server and them uploading it to thier website gallery from there, how that computer interprets color can be different from mine, I suppose. I am glad that here we upload directly.. in this case I had to "guess" how much to darken and saturate the image to get it to look as I envisioned when I eventually see it in their gallery- crossing my fingers on that part. If it looks "dark" here that's why.

So thank you all for the helpful advice on the second piece, I didnt end up using it here but I did end up using your advice in a similar way on the boy piece. I am a small fish in a very talented pool of very experienced users(such as our Szark) over at Hivewire, so I hardly expect to do well, but I find contests good motivation to try my best at things and to try and stretch and grow. Looking forward to next months new users challenge! Let me know what you think of the boy image.

It is titled "Field Guidance for a Captive Audience" and the play on words is completely intentional! I am including the pre and post-worked version so you can see how much pain post work caused me!

edit: PS.. I hope I got the "angry face" on the fairy right... it is something I had to work very hard for, and I am not unhappy with it!

cruel_fairy_6.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    Field_Guidance_for_a_Captive_Audience-sigbrdr_(3).jpg
    900 x 1406 - 795K
    Post edited by Whitehart Creative Arts 3-D (fionathegood) on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Good job everybody! In the end I did not take part this month but I do have my favorites here! Good luck everyone! : )