March 2015 New User Contest - Posing (WIP thread)

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

I've made modifications to the lower figures bend and hand and also added a scene (of which I still need to mess with lights and change stop settings to get rid of the graininess)

GoodEvil.png
    900 x 900 - 2M
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:
    Whoops . . . I dropped my earring!

Greetings all :-)

Have been working and following your work and commentary closely. Thanks to Scott-Livingston for the "background" suggestion, it was very helpful. Special thanks to Teofa for pointing out the "gear" that allows you to set your own parameters, without it my selected pose would not be possible to replicate. Also, I echo the observation of fionathegood as I asked myself at the beginning, "How do you elevate this assignment to the level of fine art?" So, here is the effort thus far, whether it rises to the level of fine art will be for others to decide. Once again, hats off to those who offer us this opportunity to refine our craft. :)

Interesting take on the theme giovanni.
    I have been marvelling at this pose for some time until I finally figured out how that woman in the original is keeping her balance.
    First I thought its impossible for a still position, but then its impossible to move quick in it as well.
    Then I noticed, that she is pushing her elbows into her stomach, they are really under her body.
    And that's pretty much the only nitpicking I can do on this, the wooden gilrl has her elbows beside her body.

I actually think the elbows might very well be beside the body. The balancing can be done via the wrists. It looks like a body lever, an advanced version of the crow stand - on par, difficulty-wise, with a front/back lever.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Linwelly said:

Have been working and following your work and commentary closely. Thanks to Scott-Livingston for the "background" suggestion, it was very helpful. Special thanks to Teofa for pointing out the "gear" that allows you to set your own parameters, without it my selected pose would not be possible to replicate. Also, I echo the observation of fionathegood as I asked myself at the beginning, "How do you elevate this assignment to the level of fine art?" So, here is the effort thus far, whether it rises to the level of fine art will be for others to decide. Once again, hats off to those who offer us this opportunity to refine our craft. :)

I have been marvelling at this pose for some time until I finally figured out how that woman in the original is keeping her balance.
    First I thought its impossible for a still position, but then its impossible to move quick in it as well.
    Then I noticed, that she is pushing her elbows into her stomach, they are really under her body.
    And that's pretty much the only nitpicking I can do on this, the wooden gilrl has her elbows beside her body.

I actually think the elbows might very well be beside the body. The balancing can be done via the wrists. It looks like a body lever, an advanced version of the crow stand - on par, difficulty-wise, with a front/back lever.

I believe that would work if the hands are turned forward. with the hands turned backwards as they are I suspect it's not working at the angle the wrists show here, but I have never tried the pose myself and most probably never will be able to do so, so ultimately I can not say :P

• giovannipaologiovannipaolo Posts: 249
    edited March 2015

TobiasG said:
    Linwelly said:

Thanks for the insight! :-) I viewed the image from above and found that the elbow itself was not in contact with the body, so I tucked it in a bit. When I did this, the top she was wearing broke through the arm, so I replaced the top. I also was not happy with the way the grain ran in her face, so I adjusted that. I believe all is well now, still working with different background colors more complimentary to the piece. Again, thanks for the help. :-)

Just noticed cat is not in contact with the floor, will fix. :roll:

Whoops_.__.__._revised_.jpg
    1454 x 2000 - 808K
    Post edited by giovannipaolo on
    edited December 1969

Ok, round two and me thinks the poses are getting better.

The background is strictly for filling the space while I work on the figures and will probably change when a better idea comes along.

Linwelly; I'm glad you like the direction of the first rendering and as for the dance they are performing, I believe it is a rumba. latin for sure but what I liked about the original picture is the complexity of the poses and their body language in relation to each other and the environment. By the way, great renders with the folks and their bikes. You definitely have a good knowledge of the human figure.

For me, next up is lighting and atmosphere of which I am a real newby with the cgi stuff but it's all for fun!

This is really coming along very good. and I believe putting two peoble in the right interaction with each other is a difficult task, I guess fionathegood can sing a song about it.
    There are some ideas I have for you.
    On thing I remember from dancing is that in latin dances there is a typical pose to the fingers, where alway the middle and the ringfinger are kept together while pointer and pinky spread to the sides. You can see that in the original lady's hand over her head. I'm not shure what his backward hand is doing exactly but one can see at least four fingers. His arm surely is twisted to some extreme.
    And he ist not exacly taking her hand, he grabs her wrist.
    From the way fringes on her dress are flying high I am pretty sure she is in in some pirouette that went one way and is now already on the return. I don't know if you can move those little things on your lady's skirt around but if you can it would certainly help the impression of turning very fast.

edited December 1969

I've made modifications to the lower figures bend and hand and also added a scene (of which I still need to mess with lights and change stop settings to get rid of the graininess)

Welcome back to the newts contest kaotkbliss.
    You have chosen a very complex scene, with a lot of changes compared to the originals. That is not a bad thing, but it makes comparing difficult. I guess the poses are rather close to your orignals, what I am missing is ther correspondanceof the two figures with each other, wich obviously is not central in this case as they come from different scenarios. But I believe it would make your scene more complete if you could achieve that.

... guess I'm not of big help here

ps: yes I know what newts are :coolsmile:

edited March 2015

Linwelly said:

Welcome back to the newts contest kaotkbliss.
    You have chosen a very complex scene, with a lot of changes compared to the originals. That is not a bad thing, but it makes comparing difficult. I guess the poses are rather close to your orignals, what I am missing is ther correspondanceof the two figures with each other, wich obviously is not central in this case as they come from different scenarios. But I believe it would make your scene more complete if you could achieve that.

... guess I'm not of big help here

ps: yes I know what newts are :coolsmile:

If you look at the 2nd reference image, that character isn't even looking at the opponents and I was trying to keep that same feeling of surprising the enemy (you know, pretending to not be ready when you actually are) Unfortunately the unclear render washed away the angry face of that character and I think I need to make the open-mouthed surprise face on the white one more apparent. Although it is hard to see through those helmets lol.
    *edit*
    maybe I can add some motion to the character on the bottom without losing the pose to make the interaction more complete...

Post edited by kaotkbliss on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2015

3ch0_419 said:
    Don't know if I'll be using this, but I couldn't help but try to do a tribute to the late Mr. Spock.

Ether way I wanted to share what I was using as my reference somewhat.

Very nice start! I think Spock's fingers are more vertical in the photo; your character's fingertips seem to be leaning forward a little bit. The other details of the pose and expression are a little hard to make out due to the dim lighting.

I've tried to tweak his hand some, and changed out the lights. Real life's been nuts though so I wasn't able to get back to this right away.

spock-leornard-nimoy-star-trek-tos.jpg
    559 x 504 - 51K
    march2015spock2.jpg
    1194 x 895 - 519K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Babalar1Babalar1 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

Your observations on the hands and fingers is spot on Linwelly. An important detail in making the poses more authentic. As for her dress, I like the idea of having more movement to show the affect of spinning like in the original. I'll look around for something in the market and while I'm at it, maybe find some pants for g2male that look less stiff than those polyester puddle-jumpers.

• edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

This is really coming along very good. and I believe putting two peoble in the right interaction with each other is a difficult task, I guess fionathegood can sing a song about it.

LOL, tell me about it!

Over in the freebie contest, they list all the items used for eveyone's benefit. I sometimes think that would be cool here in the WIP thread. Here is one freebie I really wish I'd had available to me for last month's lighting contest that I found when looking for falling snow for the inside of the snowglobe (And I am still losing the snowglobe effect, but I think its a sacrifice in order to get a closeup of them- in order for the snowglobe to be readable, the camera angle needs to be so far away that the effect of the pose is lost. ) In any case, here are some sparkly lights if anyone could find them useful! In case anyone wants to join, I found the freebie contest to be a lot of fun and a good way to push myself to look under rocks for just the right freebie, and I am gaining a large number of items to be able to use for a LOT of thing besides just the contest. :-) I don't have much to add about poses, everyone's work is coming along great!
    http://shop.poseraddicts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3002
    Here is a link to the freebie contest:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53279/

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

So many wonderful renders. I can see the judges are going to have a hard time picking winners again this month. :lol:

I have tweaked the pose. Hopefully I have not gone too far with it and it looks natural.

I have also changed the background. I used First Bastions Rolling Plains Morphing Terrain which comes with the sand shader and Marshian's Ocean Wide for the water, skydome and most of the lights. I added an AOA Distant Light coming from the opposite direction of the main lights to try and subtly highlight the front of the figure so she wasn't in total shadow.

tai-chi-01-fiss296.jpg
    431 x 370 - 18K
    Tai_Chi_Two_23.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited March 2015

Here's what I'm working on... classic line art from Jeff Dee, from the old red box Dungeons & Dragons. (Jeff's figures, male and female, are often dressed a bit impractically... and the picture is about the legs, even if certain other parts make it seem rather cold outside.)

Also, the background is from Shifting Images' free stuff on ShareCG. The sword & scabbard are from Porsimo. Just wanted to call out the free stuff, anyway.

I thought about finding a suitable Gazebo for the background, being classic D&D and all, but it may have been too distracting.

And Iray is great!

Morgan_Ironwolf_Iray_v4.png
    491 x 610 - 469K
    morgan-ironwolf.png
    300 x 314 - 23K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
    edited December 1969

Here's what I'm working on... classic line art from Jeff Dee, from the old red box Dungeons & Dragons. (Jeff's figures, male and female, are often dressed a bit impractically... and the picture is about the legs, even if certain other parts make it seem rather cold outside.)

Also, the background is from Shifting Images' free stuff on ShareCG. The sword & scabbard are from Porsimo. Just wanted to call out the free stuff, anyway.

I thought about finding a suitable Gazebo for the background, being classic D&D and all, but it may have been too distracting.

And Iray is great!

Welcome to the New User's Forum.

You have recreated the pose nicely. I would suggest moving your figure slightly on the rock base. It looks like her right foot is in a crevasse. Or it may just be the camera angle.

edited December 1969

And Iray is great!

Here's what I see:
    it looks as thought the forearm on the sword hand needs to be brought in towards her belly a little and the hand on the same arm curled in.

On the shield arm, I think the collar needs to come down, elbow up and the hand down and back.

Other than that (and the odd illusion of the foot previously mentioned) everything else looks pretty spot on :)

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

And Iray is great!

This freebie shield has the same configuration of strap and grip as your illustration

http://www.sharecg.com/v/72187/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/3x-Rounded-Shields

mayhem.jpg
    241 x 258 - 20K
  • edited December 1969

Nice observation, Teofa. The difference between a center grip with a boss, and an arm strap with an offset grip changes a lot of the mechanics of how the whole body works together as a whole, obviously including the shoulder and arm,

edited December 1969

I removed the glow from many of the signs as I just can't get it to work right in Iray right now and I moved the figures closer together so the top figure's view is more towards the bottom character and not the viewer.

Still can't see the mouth on the bottom character though :(

GoodEvil.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    edited March 2015

New Version of my two pinups. I have looked for hours through the net for a fitting motorbike but the only option fitting that still remained was to assemble it myself from parts. Now, that was somthing I rather would not spent my evenings on, so I will stick with the bike I had, turned it to gunsteel shader for now, maybe I come up with something that actually makes artistically sense. For the guy its reflecting to strong for now, that distrcts from the main point.
    So now they have shoes, well last time it took me that long to put shoes on sombody was when my kids were still small and did't want to put them on.

For the lady I think I'm done posing, With him , he hast the pose alright I think and he is leaning in the bike a lot more, but the grabbing of the shoestrap ist still looking to easy and I still don't have his facial expression right. He is concentrating now and everything but in the original he knows he is looking ridiculous and smiles about that somehow, I don't get transfered.

@ Scott or Dollygirl or any other mod, I would still like to know if I can stick my two renders togehter and submit that as one or do i need to enter them seperately.

pinup-pose-he3.jpg
    463 x 750 - 305K
    pinup-she-version3.jpg
    463 x 750 - 305K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited March 2015

Linwelly said:
    New Version of my two pinups. I have looked for hours through the net for a fitting motorbike but the only option fitting that still remained was to assemble it myself from parts. Now, that was somthing I rather would not spent my evenings on, so I will stick with the bike I had, turned it to gunsteel shader for now, maybe I come up with something that actually makes artistically sense. For the guy its reflecting to strong for now, that distrcts from the main point.
    So now they have shoes, well last time it took me that long to put shoes on sombody was when my kids were still small and did't want to put them on.

For the lady I think I'm done posing, With him , he hast the pose alright I think and he is leaning in the bike a lot more, but the grabbing of the shoestrap ist still looking to easy and I still don't have his facial expression right. He is concentrating now and everything but in the original he knows he is looking ridiculous and smiles about that somehow, I don't get transfered.

@ Scott or Dollygirl or any other mod, I would still like to know if I can stick my two renders togehter and submit that as one or do i need to enter them seperately.

Hi Linwelly

Facial expressions can be really difficult. After zooming in on your reference image and your render I have 2 suggestions.

1. The guy in the reference image is looking at the camera. His eyes are turned towards the camera. The eyes on your male figure looks like he is looking straight ahead. You will need to turn the eyeballs. You can try pointing they eyes at the camera or use a primitive sphere.

2. The guy in the reference image seems to have a very slight, beginnings of a smile on his face, or he could be trying to hide a grimace. Try turning the corners of the mouth on your male figure up slightly. It may not take much.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the comments! And the link to the freebie shield. Very cool.

Edit: (Updated with revised render)

I swapped out the shield, and moved the arm around.

I brought the sword hand up & tighter to the body. It's closer, anyway. I had to move the elbow further up & back (which was not 100% obvious from the original line art :) ).

The hair needs a bunch of work.

The feet are better now, I think. I've moved the "mountain" around to make the mountain come to Mohammed, and adjusted the feet some more.

I threw up a Distant Light (instead of the default whatevers in Iray), but I need to tweak some things for sure. The scabbard metals are all washed out & looking rather non-metallic.

To give credit for the freebies I mentioned previously (in lieu of the traditional accounting-style credit via $$$ revenue):
    The background (Shifting Images' Mountain Scene, which is used in some of the promo images for SI's catalog on this site):
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/70351/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Shifting-Images-Free-Stuff-Mountain-Scene

10th century Viking-style sword, 13th century scabbard from Porsimo's freebies
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69647/gallery/11/Poser/Sword-pack-ver-2

Morgan_Ironwolf_Iray_v6.png
    491 x 610 - 467K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Okey dokey- here is the latest "snow globe" version of the Sound of Music render. Let me know what you think.

Fiona, I really like how you've taken the pose from the reference image and turned it into something really different. The shader you used on the figures looks really nice too (though unfortunately it does make it challenging to critique the poses...they look good from what I can tell).
  • edited December 1969

Okey dokey- here is the latest "snow globe" version of the Sound of Music render. Let me know what you think.

Fiona, I really like how you've taken the pose from the reference image and turned it into something really different. The shader you used on the figures looks really nice too (though unfortunately it does make it challenging to critique the poses...they look good from what I can tell).

I think a few of us are in that situation this month where submitting more than the 2 requested images would be useful: Some because the angle of the camera on the final "artwork" changed from the original, in Linwelly's case because the original appeared like 2 images but was actually one, and in mine because the shaders are obscuring the pose. To show a "middle" version of just the two characters with normal skin and clothes shaders before I developed the ice shaders would be useful. Others would benefit from a middle for other reasons. Maybe an admin can say yay or nay.

As for the comment on the shader I used on the figures, I will take it an awesome compliment because all the shader settings to do the ice, from the reflection map plug in, to the diffuse, to the oppacity, are custom created for this piece. I am considering packaging up the ice presets as duf and dson files and putting them on sharecg or another freebie site so other people can play with the ice sculpture effect.

edited December 1969

I'm going to ask the team about this. I don't think the "two entries" rule will change, but I'm not sure how much leeway there is on entries containing more than one image, or "middle" versions as you mentioned.

• edited December 1969

just to clarify- I am not talking about creating 2 separate entries to the contest, but that each single entry have 3 parts instead of 2, the image used as a refernce, the "matching" piece created from it , and then an extension of that which is the "art" version, which takes the image beyond the limits of the original art's purpose to make a new piece of art. This way the pose is used and preserved, but without the limitations of mimicking the original so closely. TY!

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited March 2015

I really cannot see the need for a third image. It's a pose contest, not a mimic of original image contest. If the pose matches, context of the pose shouldn't matter.

IF the judges rate accuracy of the pose used, strict accuracy to original image context and theme should not matter.

For example, Kismets image could be a werewolf doing Tai Chi in the moonlight and still be an "accurate" pose.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

Hi Linwelly

Facial expressions can be really difficult. After zooming in on your reference image and your render I have 2 suggestions.

1. The guy in the reference image is looking at the camera. His eyes are turned towards the camera. The eyes on your male figure looks like he is looking straight ahead. You will need to turn the eyeballs. You can try pointing they eyes at the camera or use a primitive sphere.

2. The guy in the reference image seems to have a very slight, beginnings of a smile on his face, or he could be trying to hide a grimace. Try turning the corners of the mouth on your male figure up slightly. It may not take much.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kismet,
    yes I think this will help, I had him looking at the camera but he seems to have forgotten about it. I had that several times already that the "Point at" function gets lost when you repositon a figure. And I completely forgot that I can dial the mouth separately, not going into the expressions.

By the way I really like your render, the posing seems to be spot on, but I guess you could even give her some more frontlight

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments! And the link to the freebie shield. Very cool.

Edit: (Updated with revised render)

I swapped out the shield, and moved the arm around.

I brought the sword hand up & tighter to the body. It's closer, anyway. I had to move the elbow further up & back (which was not 100% obvious from the original line art :) ).

The hair needs a bunch of work.

The feet are better now, I think. I've moved the "mountain" around to make the mountain come to Mohammed, and adjusted the feet some more.

I threw up a Distant Light (instead of the default whatevers in Iray), but I need to tweak some things for sure. The scabbard metals are all washed out & looking rather non-metallic.

To give credit for the freebies I mentioned previously (in lieu of the traditional accounting-style credit via $$$ revenue):
    The background (Shifting Images' Mountain Scene, which is used in some of the promo images for SI's catalog on this site):
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/70351/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Shifting-Images-Free-Stuff-Mountain-Scene

10th century Viking-style sword, 13th century scabbard from Porsimo's freebies
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/69647/gallery/11/Poser/Sword-pack-ver-2

This looks very good, what I 'm not shure is whether her right foot is touching ground, I hope there is enough ground for you to move her another bit if its not the case. Otherwise there is the possibility to rotate the ground on the x or z axis.

edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:
    3ch0_419 said:
    Don't know if I'll be using this, but I couldn't help but try to do a tribute to the late Mr. Spock.

Ether way I wanted to share what I was using as my reference somewhat.

Very nice start! I think Spock's fingers are more vertical in the photo; your character's fingertips seem to be leaning forward a little bit. The other details of the pose and expression are a little hard to make out due to the dim lighting.

I've tried to tweak his hand some, and changed out the lights. Real life's been nuts though so I wasn't able to get back to this right away.

There is something weird with the lights you use here. So most of your figure is in the shadows. This makes it it a bit hard to tell what you see in your render. From what I can see there is only some little things to be changed. I would thinkt that the greeting hand is a little more straight up in the original. The fingers seem to be all very near the original.
    I hope RL lets you find time to finish this.

edited December 1969

A couple minor adjustments.
    Added a light to show the lower characters face a little more, removed pokethrough on the top character's outfit and adjusted her left hand slightly.

GoodEvil.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Linwelly said:

These are looking great, and I'm not even going to make any suggestions on the poses, because you've already identified the last few things that need work. :) I think your version captures the humor of the original without veering too far into clownishness.

Does the bike come with material zones? If not, you might want to use the Geometry Editor tool to create some; that way you could apply different shader presets to the tires, chrome, painted areas, etc.