February Contest Thread “Lighting” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:
    Made a lot of changes. Still want to add some bones.

Would some of these work for you aaron575? The site also has free textures might find that perfect grunge for your bones there too.

edited December 1969

Teofa said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Teofa said:
    I "kinda" followed advice about adding a torch, but not really. Like Topsy, my images just grow.

DOF is as far as I can take it. If I tighten focus on the dark elf much more, the Staff light explodes into pixels and its not pretty to see.

Working title is "You're late, Mage"

Teofa, like I said earlier I really like what you were doing with your single subject. In this one you have moved the focus left and towards the mage's staff. You may get back the balance with the up light on the warrior's face. With the torches, I think they would have worked because there are two of them on either side of her face. The viewer's eye will travel from one torch to the other and by the vary nature of the eye travel the viewer would see the warrior's face. That is a guess on my part.

I do like the story you have started. Is she enemy? or Is she friend. Thank you very much in participating. We learn so much from each other and this thread is really stretching my abilities.

I haven't abandoned the single figure image, I just got distracted by this concept and trying to get what is in my head to actually show up on the render. Much changed now.

Yes having the mage be a silhouette is a good idea. The sword and staff kind of balance each other now. Good supposition between the two weapon choices. Glad to here you have not abandoned the other piece. Looking forward to what you do.

edited December 1969

Scott, thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I am currently exploring/studying various lighting options and will add your suggestion to the list. Since my discovery of DAZ3D I have been working to see how it can be used to produce fine art images that do not appear to be technological manipulations. I'm convinced today's computer technology can produce art reminiscent of the old world masters. In other words, digital art that feels like a painting. I'm not there yet, but making progress thanks to feedback. Thanks for yours! :-)

Now isn't that the strangest thing. I get that feeling about those same possibilities. If you ever want to share your discoveries I would be one to enjoy reading about them.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:

The lighting is coming along really nicely. It sets the mood just right.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited February 2015

Ok, I think I'm at the point where I'd like to workshop where I'm at a bit :)

(A huge annoyance is that my two monitors seem to have different brightness setttings and I can't get them to match no matter how much I try, so I have no idea when it's too dark vs over exposed).

trrrk2.jpg
    1800 x 1165 - 1M
    Post edited by Scavenger on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone! I thought I´d take part as well so yesterday I started rendering something a little suggestive since it´s Valentine and I wanted to do something sexy : D

But then I remembered I probably won´t be able to post it here so you can check the first WIP here - http://toyen-art.deviantart.com/art/Happy-Valentines-Day-WIP-01-513855811?ga_submit_new=10%3A1423917679

and for the next WIP, I will make her wear the string bikini even though you can´t really see the genitals or nipples but still, just to stay safe : D

Or if you think I could post this here as it is, let me know.

Anyways about the lighting:

- I am using UberEnviorment with the night preset.

- First distant light is coming from the outside through the windows. It´s the one that creates the nightly bluish highlight on the figure and it´s also the one I like the best.

That´s about it for natural/environment light sources.

Next I have two red point lights coming from the lamps in the room (one of them you can´t see at all). But unfortunately, none of them illuminate the figure since they can´t reach that far.

So their only function is to look nice when they illuminate the little area close to them (the wall).

Then I have a distant light coming from the ceiling that serves as the main light in the room but is very dimmed down otherwise the scene would be too bright and I don´t want that.

But as of right now, the scene is still a bit too dark for my taste.

The biggest problem however, are the shadows.

You can see there are no shadows under the figure and the bed is not casting any shadows as well and that just ruins the scene I think.

I have raytraced shadows on on both the night light and the ceiling light but the night light´s shadows are set to lover intensity because when I go up with the shadow intensity on that light, the highlight starts disappearing.

And I also think the curtains and the white area of the bed are a bit too aggressive so I might change their shader.

Let me know what you think!

Everything rendered in 3Delight.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2015

Toyen said:

and for the next WIP, I will make her wear the string bikini even though you can´t really see the genitals or nipples but still, just to stay safe : D

We have a total no nudity rule as per the Forum ToS http://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service, the first point in the General Code of Conduct. This is followed most scrupulously, and particularly so in the New Users Forums, as some of our New Users can be younger

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Okay then, thanks for letting me know! I´ll go with the bikini then : )

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I put together this one, still a WIP. Any suggestions on what to improve?

Scout_C_fr.jpg
    1600 x 960 - 680K
    edited December 1969

Love it Tobias! Very nice scene you have there. Rendered with Reality I guess?

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:

I used the basic DazStudio engine. That's 3Delight, right? I haven't bought Reality. Does it make a big difference?

edited December 1969

I just thought it was reality because it looked too good for 3Delight to me : D Good job then! : )

• EomolchEomolch Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Cool concept and nice choice of materials. The gradient background image works very well, aesthetically, although I feel that somehow the image needs a bit more...context, maybe: something to establish scale or provide hints about what is special about this object (aside from the fact that it is pretty and unique). Maybe something to evoke an emotional response in the viewer. I'm sorry I missed the one with the dancer...looking forward to seeing where you go with it. Very nice start, though!

On the one hand I agree that some context would be nice to make the viewer connect to the picture. On the other hand I think considering the complexity of the spheres that the rest of the picture should be kept rather simple. My main focus was on the shot with the "dancer" though (I'm still having troubles giving the character of the picture in that respect a proper name - for me it wasn't mean to be a simple dancer - more like an angelic or overworldly being of some kind, fitting the unusual setting of the scene) so I still have to decide if I submit this one or try to polish one of the other shots I took while doing the framed picture on page 5.

Sorry I missed your post. I got busy with RL things like taxes and getting the garden ready but I am looking forward to seeing what you end up with.
    Your welcome Eomlch. Unfortunately for myself I am not currently associated with a school. Those days have long since past me. Although I do get a strong itch to sit in a sculpting class. I love doing it. It is my zen.

Yes I believe you are correct about not being able to pass surface details between Studio and Octane. Drives me nuts too. I have Poser and it can have some really cool textures and it is hard to translate them to Studio but I keep trying.

So hope to see your results.

The image is up again now, so you can take a look if you want ;-)

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Eomolch, you can enter two images.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Great image. The only thing I really notice that seems "off" (to me, so grain of salt) is the hard shadow on the branch in front of your figure. Don't know if its the angle of that part of your branch or the God Rays.

• aaron575aaron575 Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

aaron575 said:

Looking really good! Adding bones sounds like a good idea...I also wonder how it would look if you tone down the fog a bit...might help to create a stronger contrast between light and shadow.
    Thank you very much Scott. I think you are right about the fog I have gone a bit overboard with it.
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    aaron575 said:

Would some of these work for you aaron575? The site also has free textures might find that perfect grunge for your bones there too.
    Thank you Dollygirl, had a look at the site and there is a lot of awesome stuff on it. I think .obj can be imported into DAZ, will have to play around with them and see what happens.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    aaron575 said:

The lighting is coming along really nicely. It sets the mood just right.
    Thank you very much Frank.

• EomolchEomolch Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Teofa said:
    Eomolch, you can enter two images.

Thank you Teofa, I know that ;) (the formulation in my last post was probably misleading, I just meant I wasn't sure if I include the sphere shot as 2nd or another one)

@TobiasG: I really like your render! I know it's easy to say this, but you could try to tinker a little more with the suit of the character. Because right now he looks more like PC art, while the rest of the scene seams very realistic, if you know what I mean. Or maybe you could consider trying to make him look like a fantasm? I don't know what your initial ideas behind this render were but I can imagine it could fit the scene quite well if he were a ghost in a swamp ;-).

edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

(A huge annoyance is that my two monitors seem to have different brightness setttings and I can't get them to match no matter how much I try, so I have no idea when it's too dark vs over exposed).

Scavenger, an interesting story. I feel sorry for the cow. So looking at the image, I think your ambient is good. I would make the truck's head lights be more intense and more towards the yellow spectrum in color. The white light is more for led lights and us old folks can remember when head lights were yellow. Kind of like the color that Giovanni used in his image here. Remember too that head lights are sort of cross eyed and that the light cones overlap to give an even brighter area where the two intersect. I think I would play with an ubervolume light on the head lights if I was not going to do some sort of fog in the rest of the scene. The god rays are making the scene a little bit disconnected because there seems to be no reason for the change in atmosphere around the head lights. Other then the fact that there is a gorgeous babe in the light beam.

That is a great terrain love the hills and the road cutting through. May I ask what is it? Looking forward with what you do.

edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Hello everyone! I thought I´d take part as well so yesterday I started rendering something a little suggestive since it´s Valentine and I wanted to do something sexy : D

But then I remembered I probably won´t be able to post it here so you can check the first WIP here - http://toyen-art.deviantart.com/art/Happy-Valentines-Day-WIP-01-513855811?ga_submit_new=10:1423917679

Anyways about the lighting:

- I am using UberEnviorment with the night preset.

- First distant light is coming from the outside through the windows. It´s the one that creates the nightly bluish highlight on the figure and it´s also the one I like the best.

That´s about it for natural/environment light sources.

Next I have two red point lights coming from the lamps in the room (one of them you can´t see at all). But unfortunately, none of them illuminate the figure since they can´t reach that far.

So their only function is to look nice when they illuminate the little area close to them (the wall).

Then I have a distant light coming from the ceiling that serves as the main light in the room but is very dimmed down otherwise the scene would be too bright and I don´t want that.

But as of right now, the scene is still a bit too dark for my taste.

The biggest problem however, are the shadows.

You can see there are no shadows under the figure and the bed is not casting any shadows as well and that just ruins the scene I think.

I have raytraced shadows on on both the night light and the ceiling light but the night light´s shadows are set to lover intensity because when I go up with the shadow intensity on that light, the highlight starts disappearing.

And I also think the curtains and the white area of the bed are a bit too aggressive so I might change their shader.

Everything rendered in 3Delight.

Welcome Toyen to the contest. I think you have done a very good job of critically evaluating your render and have properly identified the problem areas. So I am going to try and give you some ideas on some tools that might help you get your vision created. So yes get your lady dressed.

Since you want a strong directional light to come through the window I would set your outside light's shadow on. That way you are not killing your highlights with shadows that are coming from different directions. If this room has no ceiling, then I would set the distant light that is pointing down on her to just diffuse to make sure the lights are playing nice. Once that is done you can bump up the strength of the light to give you more ambient. If this room has a ceiling then this distant light is not playing much of part in the overall scheme of things and I would start to add spots to illuminate her. Keep in mind that the lights with shadows need to come from the same direction as your main light. Play with the specular and diffuse options to see what you like.

If you want to cast a red glow from your nightstand lights then I would suggest that you add an uberarea light to the lamps. What this light does is only casts light but does not eliminate the general area like your point lights do. This allows you to drop down the brightness of the point light and bring back the ability to see the lampshade with a light bulb behind it. The first post of this thread has the links to how to work with uberarea lights.

On your surfaces, I would play with the ambient levels on each of the items and see if that tones down the colors. You can also add some bump to the surfaces like you have on the wall and that will scatter the light a bit as well.

Last thing. Your lady's head and shoulders are sunk into the floor of the room. Not sure that you want to reposition her so I would suggest that you hide the fact that she is too low and defying Newton's reality by adding a pillow or bunched up cloth to disguise the fact and probably make her look more comfortable laying on a hard cold floor. Might look into applying a fur shader or a nice bumpy displacement map to your rug.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. As always the above are just ideas and suggestions. You may find a different way to address your identified issues and that is good as well.

• giovannipaologiovannipaolo Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Volumetric Lighting Homework (Welcome . . . to Utopia!)

Dollygirl, this is what I have been working with lately to try out some of your lighting suggestions. As you undoubtedly know, some of this gets to be quite complicated, but boy. . .thanks for the intro to new tools. I'm now testing new gains on the "Fish Camp" image. Am looking forward to your impressions and suggestions. Thanks again! :-)

Welcome_.__.__._to_Utopia_.jpg
    745 x 1024 - 904K
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Scavenger said:

Scavenger, an interesting story. I feel sorry for the cow. So looking at the image, I think your ambient is good. I would make the truck's head lights be more intense and more towards the yellow spectrum in color. The white light is more for led lights and us old folks can remember when head lights were yellow. Kind of like the color that Giovanni used in his image here. Remember too that head lights are sort of cross eyed and that the light cones overlap to give an even brighter area where the two intersect. I think I would play with an ubervolume light on the head lights if I was not going to do some sort of fog in the rest of the scene. The god rays are making the scene a little bit disconnected because there seems to be no reason for the change in atmosphere around the head lights. Other then the fact that there is a gorgeous babe in the light beam.

That is a great terrain love the hills and the road cutting through. May I ask what is it? Looking forward with what you do.

Thanks Dolly..

Yeah, I'm not loving the god rays... I might try some cones with low opacity, and maybe some texturing to simulate the light cones you see on a dark highway, which is made up of some dust and lots and lots of bugs.

I'll look at ubervolume lights...don't know of those..

The set is http://www.daz3d.com/rural-crossroads (funny, I wound up using the same truck that's in the promo art, after I didn't like the one i originally chose for the scene). It's a nice set, but been very frustrating. If I click the zoom back one notch, my camera is inside a hill that I can't remove without removing the entire landscape. Have spent a lot of hours trying to get an angle I like, that can include the curves, the road signs, the warning lights on the main road and some fields for the cows. I may try restaging the piece...I want the focus to be the hitchhiker/truck part, with the UFO and cows being this off to the side joke happening.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

Welcome TobiasG. you have a very dramatic start for just a WIP and it looks like you have a good handle on volumetrics in 3Delight. I agree with Teofa there seems to be a disconnect between the focal light that hits the branch and the main figures left shoulder and the amount of fog present. I would try to soften that a bit by playing around with the fall off on the spot.

I like your reflections on the water but with all that fog I think that I would tone down the sharpness by adding a bump to the water plane to soften the reflected images. I think you can justify this because the viewer can see that he is in the water. By putting some ripples in the water plane you can fix the problem that there is no overall fog in your scene setup and give your image a little action without adding anything else which in my opinion would be a shame.

As I told Toyen these are merely suggestions. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Toyen said:

I used the basic DazStudio engine. That's 3Delight, right? I haven't bought Reality. Does it make a big difference?

You are correct 3Delight is the default renderer for Studio. Reality is a plugin for Studio (for Poser too) that allows the user to set up input decks for the Lux Renderer. Lux is what we call a real world renderer. Its internal models treat glass like glass is experienced by humans in the real world. Water like water in the real world and light like light is experienced in the real world. As to whether is makes a big difference that depends on the artist and how he uses the tools and on what the artist's preferences are. If you are drawn more towards images that are more photographic you will like Lux renders. There is a catch. Lux tries very hard to stay in the real world so surface treatments will not be the same and are limited to what the real world will do to them. 3Delight on the other hand has the capability of just giving you what you have told it to do and does not apply real world constraints to your image. 3Delight is a much more difficult renderer to use because of that and abilities of the artist is reflected in a 3Delight render more so then in a Lux render. Not to say that is does not take skill to use Lux just saying that Lux helps out the artist by confining some of the parameters that the artist can fiddle with.
    So the fact that Toyen asked you says that you are doing a good job using your tools at hand.

edited December 1969

Hey there Dolly and thanks for your reply!

I decided to completely reinvent the scene and make a classier version of what I am going to call Waiting for my Valentine : )

I also dressed my character to a red dress which I completely forgot I had, much better than the string bikini.

So here is my progress step by step.

I am now focusing solely on lighting the scene, I will assign materials to the room later. I also plan to add a glass to her hand for the final render.

Picture 1 - basic composition, no lights and no uberenviroment

Picture 2 - uberenviroment with full moon preset, still no lights in the scene

Picture 3 - Added one distant light coming from the outside shining through the window and here you can see first issue occur. The wall on the right and the lamp area behind my character´s head both seem to be completely untouched by the new light while the rest of the room got much brighter.

Picture 4 - Changing the color of the distant light and adding shadows seemed to help but you can still see that strange big contrast between the wall in the back and the wall on the right.

Picture 5 - Added second light coming from the outside to create even more highlighted areas.

I do plan to add some more light sources to the room. Also the room does have a ceiling and all 4 walls so the only way light from the outside gets in is through that window.

second_distant_shadows.jpg
    748 x 498 - 189K
    shadows.jpg
    748 x 498 - 173K
    distant_light_default.jpg
    748 x 498 - 177K
    full_moon.jpg
    748 x 498 - 127K
    default.jpg
    748 x 498 - 158K
    edited February 2015

I'm really gigging on the lighting on your last image. Looks really good and did a good job on it.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited February 2015

Thanks Frank!

Here is the latest version. Added quite a lot of lights to the scene, mostly uber area lights.

What do oyu guys think? Too bright? Too dark?

And I also changed the point of view, that wall over there just didn´t look right.

finalnow.jpg
    842 x 561 - 324K
    Post edited by Toyen on
    edited December 1969

I'd call that one done. That's really good and I can't think of a single thing to improve.

• giovannipaologiovannipaolo Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Toyen, last one very interesting, nice light. A couple of observations: 1. I feel the subject needs to cast some shadow on the bed and, 2. The tube light over the bed might "feel" better if it were in a bluish hue, that would enhance your color harmony I feel. As a participant, I know some of the challenges you are facing. Great progress! :-)