Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

Don't know how to embed videos, but here's a camera "walkthrough" in a large maze I'm working on. Rendered using just UE2 ambient with a skydome...maze in base resolution (dz default), 900 frames in 30 min;)

And a few awe testrenders in SubD, yeah it's quite large, and tileablelaugh, built in DS from a primitive plane.

Fun stuff! rendering 30 frames a minute is very decent, what size was the full frame? I enjoyed the walkthrough but wonder if the sand might have been a better choice for it than the plants as they look a little "flat" aat some angles, more than I think the sand might.
    I also enjoyed seeing the Sluggian animated again, a great character. I used him a fair bit way, way back, but I might need to revive him.

Thanks for sharing,

Walt Sterdan

It was 720p at 25fps, just a motion test. Still don't know where this is going, probably nowhere, but who knows..

Ah, the Sluggian walk, hehe, yeah I always loved him:)))

edited April 2023

Some random playing around with the vanilla renderer, the dz default shader & UE2 bouncelight and GIMP

SOT UE2 G 1.png
    3600 x 2700 - 4M
    SOT UE2 G 2.png
    3600 x 2700 - 5M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • EthinEthin Posts: 1,008

Sven Dullah said:

Hey that looks nice! Love how the outside and window are slightly over-exposed! A tip, in case you didn't know: You can have soft shadows with DS pointlights, shadow softness is a hidden property;)

(Did you notice? I kept it shortcool)

Thanks! That's the first time I've thought to use translucency on something other than skin.

I was wondering about that, but since it's out in the open on the other lights I just figured pointlights didn't have that option. Thanks for the heads-up!  

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,008

wsterdan said:

Looks pretty dang done to me! For me, seeing the environment and where all the shadows of the objects in the room fall helps me see the light on the subject and how the character's own shadows (as from her hair) makes is seem more "real" to me, more than if the character was by herself with the same lighting. I guess, for me, fitting into an environment that seems real makes her seem real to me as well. I think that interaction makes the skin seem more real, rather than viewing the skin in isolation.

-- Walt Sterdan 

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well. Now if I can find something for her to wear and a fitting pose this might turn into something more than just practice.

edited April 2023

...some rare footage from the absolute center of the Multiverse...laugh

Those, brave enough to enter, will find that the interior looks quite different;)

The Nirvana Chess Cafe G ext.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    VolumetricFlare 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Sven Dullah said:

Some random playing around with the vanilla renderer, the dz default shader & UE2 bouncelight and GIMP

Neat; the first one looks like some films captured from low-end surveilance cameras. 

Sven Dullah said:

...some rare footage from the absolute center of the Multiverse...laugh

Those, brave enough to enter, will find that the interior looks quite different;)

Love these, they look like effects I might have use for in the future. I'd forgotten about the Nirvana Chess Cafe, still very impressive and still lots of fun!

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

wsterdan said:

Love these, they look like effects I might have use for in the future. I'd forgotten about the Nirvana Chess Cafe, still very impressive and still lots of fun!

-- Walt Sterdan

Hm, I guess you and others in here inspired me to take up animation again, now that I have a better rig.  I did dust off DraagonStorm's animated textures script and got it to work. With these (volumetrics renders) I thought maybe to  do some material animation tests, but true volumetrics do cost rendertime. 

Regarding the Chess Cafe, I would like to do kind of a slide show, using HQ awe renders, just have to re-create the soundtrack that got lost years ago...

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

Hm, I guess you and others in here inspired me to take up animation again, now that I have a better rig.  I did dust off DraagonStorm's animated textures script and got it to work. With these (volumetrics renders) I thought maybe to  do some material animation tests, but true volumetrics do cost rendertime. 

Regarding the Chess Cafe, I would like to do kind of a slide show, using HQ awe renders, just have to re-create the soundtrack that got lost years ago...

Okay, let me add the animated texture script and Sluggoid to my list of things I owned and have either never used or haven't used for a long time.

I think the slideshow Idea might work really well, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

-- Walt Sterdan 

edited April 2023

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

-- Walt Sterdan

Okay, let me add the animated texture script and Sluggoid to my list of things I owned and have either never used or haven't used for a long time.

I think the slideshow Idea might work really well, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

-- Walt Sterdan 

smiley

I'm making a stupid test scene, will probably upload some stuff in a couple of days, meanwhile, using one of the volumetric sample renders as a billboard/light plane with awe/scripted rendering: (Didn't time it, less than 10 min in any event)

Edit: At 720p one frame takes 3 min 17 sec, not bad;)

Starship 01G awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M

I like it (I do tend to be a sucker for outer space picts); the exhaust from R01 fades out nicely, and it reflects/glows on the insides of the framework perfectly.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

A LoveyBear motion test:)

240 frames in 1.5 h, with motion blur, at 720p/25fps. 

A fun animation; now I *have* to dig out the sluggoids and do something with them.

Did you hand-key the last two animations, or were you able to apply some basic walk cycles from somewhere?

Also, I've seen Vimeo movies embedded in a forum page but can't figure out how to get it to work.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

Tks Walt! Yup I hand key everything I do. I have Animate2 but never actually used it. Graphmate & Keymate are still my best friends, despite the "updated" timeline:)

So I tried putting the Sluggian in front of a TV set, using OmUber stuff, but gave up, even in progressive mode this looks like a no-go. So I converted to awe/pathtracing and found a setting that renders at about 3.5 min/frame. Uploading a couple of frames here: (Used up my weekly 500MB on Vimeo alreadysmiley)

SWLawe_0040.png
    1280 x 720 - 1016K
    SWLawe_0069.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    SWLawe_0107.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited April 2023

...playing some more with Sluggians...wish I had a render farm..

LoveyBearBigScreen awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 7M

Looks like fun! Have you tried doing a quick test video using OpenGL? I assume that if the animated texture for the screen was done in 3DL that it would keep the quality if the OpenGL texture settings were set to "high"?

I did dig out the Sluggian out and tested some M4 Animotion blocks and they work fairly well, though the fingers need hand tweaking and the feet need a slight downturn. 

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

Looks like fun! Have you tried doing a quick test video using OpenGL? I assume that if the animated texture for the screen was done in 3DL that it would keep the quality if the OpenGL texture settings were set to "high"?

I did dig out the Sluggian out and tested some M4 Animotion blocks and they work fairly well, though the fingers need hand tweaking and the feet need a slight downturn. 

-- Walt Sterdan

Hmm, I'll look into it! I have a few aniblocks, will test them out, thanks;) 

edited April 2023

WIP...Cyclops Carl says hello:)

Edit: Found myself editing the textures, update cooking..

ETA: Hmm, still in the process of editing his textures, (and grasping the geograft UV) but here's a version;)

edited April 2023

Fair Solarwinds (or maybe just sailing to the Blipper for a Dip?)

Surfing the Solar awe.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M

Gorgeous; is that the green light from the nebula ahead showing thorugh the sails? If so, what type of lighitng did you use? 
    Very nice!

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

Tks! Yep, I made the sails ultra-translucent here (artistic freedom?) and the nebula is a gigantic lightplane. I pretty much always use arealights (emissive surfaces) with pathtracing, wowie did optimize his shaders for that purpose. Sometimes, when you need strong directional light, spotlights do a better job, think searchlights and headlights. Glad you like, I had fun putting it together:)

edited April 2023

Speaking of aniblocks, tested some G1 dance aniblocks on the Cephaloid Cephalinoid and they worked better than expected, as long as you don't see their feet;)

(draft renders)

Cephalinoids posing 1.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Cephalinoids posing 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Cephalinoids posing 3.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

Ha! Crazy fun!

I really like the background/lighting, and the glowing eyes really work well here.

Their sheer joy brightened up a snowy Friday morning, thanks for sharing.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited April 2023

Proudly Presenting Miss Cephalinoid:))

Miss Cephalinoid awe.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    Miss Cephalinoid awe1.png
    1600 x 2589 - 8M

Interesting stuff, love the Cephalinoid but have only used him/her/it once when puchased. Is the female morph your own?

You're really inspiring me to start digging out all those old figures, it looks you're having a lot of fun.

-- Walt Sterdan

Yes my own morphs, by default there are not really any options to change the shape. Now in the process of making some wereables...

Sven Dullah said:

Yes my own morphs, by default there are not really any options to change the shape. Now in the process of making some wereables...

Looking forward to sseing what you come up with. What are you using for the modeling, if you don't mind my asking.

-- Walt Sterdan 

edited April 2023

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

Looking forward to sseing what you come up with. What are you using for the modeling, if you don't mind my asking.

-- Walt Sterdan 

I was just about to add that I have Hexagon, and I opened it last maybe 10 years ago:) Nah I converted her to triax weightmapping, used the old dFormers to spawn a wider hip, thinner torso, left- middle- and right ..eh..breastslaugh.  Will be interesting to find a nice top to work with:))

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

I was just about to add that I have Hexagon, and I opened it last maybe 10 years ago:) Nah I converted her to triax weightmapping, used the old dFormers to spawn a wider hip, thinner torso, left- middle- and right ..eh..breastslaugh.  Will be interesting to find a nice top to work with:))

If you have any type of working modeler, you can just create a geoshell (extend it a bit from the body), export the geoshell as an .obj, open the .obj file and delete any polygons that don't fit the type of garment you're creating, then import the .obj and transfer the rigging and morphs from the main figure and you'll have a reasonably quick and cheap piece of wardrobe. If the quickie explanation isn't enough, I can write up a more detailed set of instructions with  proper names and stuff.

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

If you have any type of working modeler, you can just create a geoshell (extend it a bit from the body), export the geoshell as an .obj, open the .obj file and delete any polygons that don't fit the type of garment you're creating, then import the .obj and transfer the rigging and morphs from the main figure and you'll have a reasonably quick and cheap piece of wardrobe. If the quickie explanation isn't enough, I can write up a more detailed set of instructions with  proper names and stuff.

-- Walt Sterdan

Tks Walt, your tip is much appreciated! I already used the geoshell-trick to create a body suit- type wearable. And successfully converted some gen4 stuff to conforming (Cephalinoid) clothing, so I'm good for now:) Hm, in the process of creating that alien band I've been dreaming of for a long time, with the intention of making a 3 min video with music I made with a friend. For now, I'm doing it in 720p/30fps, about 2700 frames done;) Will probably post some stills here, in a bit..

With five figures and a "club-type" environment I can render the lot in an hour using OGL, but for the final version I'll use 3DL REYES with MB, a volumetric fog cam and AoA/UE2 lighting, at 1 - 2 min/frame...if I don't come up with a better (re)solution. Having loads of fun, in any event!