Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited February 2023

final version(jpg), no postwork

MordenoPool_g awe.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 7M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Nice! The pool’s water and its refraction looks really good! Are the waves/foam in the background generated, or a background image?

-- Walt Sterdan

edited February 2023

Tks! They are part of the HDRI I used for the environment dome and lighting (Aristea Wreck from PolyHaven). Although not using HDRI light here, just "borrowing" the color- and exposure data from the image, lighting is all PT arealight shader generated. I think I found a good way of utilizing high dynamic range images, finally;)

Yeah that crane had some topology issues, appart from being low poly, ah well, did my best:))

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,008

Moon Dance

edited March 2023

...testing the above Aristea Wreck light rig on my Harpsburg awe conversion...

HarpsburgElegante awe.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M

Ethin said:

Moon Dance

Love it, I think it's my favourite of your recent picts. the lighting highlights the figure and perfectly against the curtain, the focus on the girl is right on.

-- Walt Sterdan

Sven Dullah said:

Great shot, as always; are those actual reflections on the headlight glass and chrome? I assume they'er showing us what's in front of the car and what's back sllightly to the right, but wanted to check.

-- Walt Sterdan 

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

Great shot, as always; are those actual reflections on the headlight glass and chrome? I assume they'er showing us what's in front of the car and what's back sllightly to the right, but wanted to check.

-- Walt Sterdan 

Yes, aweSurface won't even accept mapped reflections, this is brute force raytracing;) Tks for commenting:)

Ethin said:

Moon Dance

Very nice, well done! I like the contrast and composition;) And the metal looks cool!

edited March 2023

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

Yes, aweSurface won't even accept mapped reflections, this is brute force raytracing;) Tks for commenting:)

Thanks for the info, the reflections really do look good. Is it possible to turn them off, and if so, how much difference in rendering time does it make?

-- Walt Sterdan 

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited March 2023

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

Thanks for the info, the reflections really do look good. Is it possible to turn them off, and if so, how much difference in rendering time does it make?

-- Walt Sterdan 

You have two specular lobes, both with indipendent specular highlight- and reflection buttons, so you can turn it all off and use pure diffuse, or just keep the highlight without actual reflection, or vice versa. Both channels of course have their strength sliders and slots for specular- and roughness-maps. Aditionally you can choose from a number of specular BRDFs, or lighting models, if you will, including GGX and the classic Ashikhmin-Shirley for a more "tooney". look. And there are plenty of global controllers for further adjusting...

Generally speaking, rendering reflection/refraction and transmission is not very taxing on rendertimes, wowie did a great job of optimizing his shaders. But it will speed it up a bit. If I render a forrest I might consider turning reflections off for leaves etc. If you have a highly reflective refractive environment, then sure, it'll make a noticeable difference.

And you can actually turn off  global illumination completely if you don't care about realism. It'll act more like Omnifreaker's Ubersurface or the AoA shader, only better (and faster?)cheeky

Edit: Btw, made a re-render of Harpsburg with increased quality settings and larger size. (Yeah it looks a bit smoother, but at this size the low poly count of the car is starting to show.) And just for fun, made a version without reflections, diffuse- and specular-bounces, turned off global illumination and the lights, loaded a DS distant light and UE2 with ambient lighting model. Stupid indeed, as these shaders are definitely not made for that use case, but interesting, hahha... rendertime just over 10 min. so I guess the dz default shader and an AoA distant light + some non-raytraced ambience still beats that:))

Of course, if one wants to use this workflow, one needs to set up surfaces ackordingly. Metal without diffuse and reflections, as in my example, will obviously render black, so needs some diffuse color/strength;) And yeah, could have used a bit of occlusion to get some groundshadows on the car...

HarpsburgElegante LG awe.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    HarpsburgElegante awe LQ.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M

wsterdan said:

Love it, I think it's my favourite of your recent picts. the lighting highlights the figure and perfectly against the curtain, the focus on the girl is right on.

-- Walt Sterdan

Thanks! I've been working on leveling up my skills for the past few months, must be paying off. 

Sven Dullah said:

Very nice, well done! I like the contrast and composition;) And the metal looks cool!

Thanks!smiley

Good old Daz Defult's still got it for somethings.

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

I've been wondering how aweSurface's render times compare to other 3DL shaders.

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

-- Walt Sterdan 

-- Walt Sterdan 

You have two specular lobes, both with indipendent specular highlight- and reflection buttons, so you can turn it all off and use pure diffuse, or just keep the highlight without actual reflection, or vice versa. Both channels of course have their strength sliders and slots for specular- and roughness-maps. Aditionally you can choose from a number of specular BRDFs, or lighting models, if you will, including GGX and the classic Ashikhmin-Shirley for a more "tooney". look. And there are plenty of global controllers for further adjusting...

Generally speaking, rendering reflection/refraction and transmission is not very taxing on rendertimes, wowie did a great job of optimizing his shaders. But it will speed it up a bit. If I render a forrest I might consider turning reflections off for leaves etc. If you have a highly reflective refractive environment, then sure, it'll make a noticeable difference.

And you can actually turn off  global illumination completely if you don't care about realism. It'll act more like Omnifreaker's Ubersurface or the AoA shader, only better (and faster?)cheeky

Edit: Btw, made a re-render of Harpsburg with increased quality settings and larger size. (Yeah it looks a bit smoother, but at this size the low poly count of the car is starting to show.) And just for fun, made a version without reflections, diffuse- and specular-bounces, turned off global illumination and the lights, loaded a DS distant light and UE2 with ambient lighting model. Stupid indeed, as these shaders are definitely not made for that use case, but interesting, hahha... rendertime just over 10 min. so I guess the dz default shader and an AoA distant light + some non-raytraced ambience still beats that:))

Of course, if one wants to use this workflow, one needs to set up surfaces ackordingly. Metal without diffuse and reflections, as in my example, will obviously render black, so needs some diffuse color/strength;) And yeah, could have used a bit of occlusion to get some groundshadows on the car...

Thanks very, very much for not only taking the time to make extra renders, but for taking the time to expain everything so well. Many thanks.

-- Walt Sterdan

• Finally finished something - had company that kept asking where my next picture was, so I finished working on it while lecturing my son on the questionable joys of Canadian history... the picture was far more fun. :-)  Got to use the Daz wolf, finally (though not the Dire Wolf - has anyone used that with 3DL?) and haul the Godrays out of my Daz storage basement!  Only postwork was some extra sparkles in the rays, and a glow layer.  Some days I think that I'm the only person who loved the plant freebies Daz used to always give out, as I hum happily digging through the files for the bits and pieces I want :-D

Guardians smsig.jpg
    867 x 1300 - 1M

Misselthwaite said:

Finally finished something - had company that kept asking where my next picture was, so I finished working on it while lecturing my son on the questionable joys of Canadian history... the picture was far more fun. :-)  Got to use the Daz wolf, finally (though not the Dire Wolf - has anyone used that with 3DL?) and haul the Godrays out of my Daz storage basement!  Only postwork was some extra sparkles in the rays, and a glow layer.  Some days I think that I'm the only person who loved the plant freebies Daz used to always give out, as I hum happily digging through the files for the bits and pieces I want :-D

Gorgous, lighting is perfect, love the expressions on their faces.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited March 2023

Misselthwaite said:

Finally finished something - had company that kept asking where my next picture was, so I finished working on it while lecturing my son on the questionable joys of Canadian history... the picture was far more fun. :-)  Got to use the Daz wolf, finally (though not the Dire Wolf - has anyone used that with 3DL?) and haul the Godrays out of my Daz storage basement!  Only postwork was some extra sparkles in the rays, and a glow layer.  Some days I think that I'm the only person who loved the plant freebies Daz used to always give out, as I hum happily digging through the files for the bits and pieces I want :-D

yes!

Quick UberSurface test for you, it could probably look better with some more effort. The multi colored strand hair isn't something any 3DL shader can currently do.

DWolf 01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 319K
    DWolf 02.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 210K
    Post edited by Ethin on
  • Thanks for the images, Ethin!  I might add it to my wishlist after all, since I really like the heavier fur.

Misselthwaite said:

Oh wowsmiley 

• Sven Dullah said:

Misselthwaite said:

Oh wowsmiley 

Thank you, Sven blush

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Your 'Guardians' image is beautiful @Misselthwaite

Just perfect!

• Mollytabby said:

Your 'Guardians' image is beautiful @Misselthwaite

Just perfect!

Thank you!  I'm so grateful to be able to show other 3DLers some of my pictures on this thread, and see the unique results everyone obtains.  You are all so awesome :-)

edited March 2023

Bor-is awe.png
    2560 x 1440 - 5M
    edited March 2023

BorisVildeStonehut awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

@sven -- Nice, clean images, I especially like the stone walls and in particular the wooden doorframe, very impressive.

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

@sven -- Nice, clean images, I especially like the stone walls and in particular the wooden doorframe, very impressive.

-- Walt Sterdan

Tks Walt! Should've lit up the inside a bit, though, on that second one;)