Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,615

...I remember an old thread years ago called The Not So Realistic Renders Thread.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

I don't believe it was part of that thread, but my favouarite image of yours was (if I'm remembering correctly) the little blue-haired elf with the huge gun. It looked like pure fun.

..this one? (and yes it is in 3DL)

sylfie 2000.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 922K
  • wsterdan said:

I had an interesting accident last week with 3DL. I was just starting to set up some toon characters for OpenGL and 3DL -- my thoughts were to generate an animation usign OpenGL to test it (at about a second a frame for 1080p, it seems to be a great way to test a whole animation before rendering the final in 3DL). I was dropping a lot of the specularity to flatten things out a bit when DAZ Studio crashed (very, very rarely happens fo me, I think my 2012 iMac crashed a total of 11 times in 10 years, and seven of those crashes were due to the bug that crashes D|S if you hit command-R to do your renders). 

When I opened my file back up, it was broken; 3DL renders were beautifully rendered in very flat colours; if I could get a simple black line around the geometry, I would buy a plug-in or package for this effect. Rendering it in OpenGL gave a very weird, oddly-highlighted effect. 

For lighting, I was only using Omnifreaker UberEnvironment2; when the scene crashed, it broke the light. Deleting the light and adding it back in fixed everything, but now I want to find a way to break it again.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this flattened effect again (preferably with an outline) I'd love to hear it.

After rendering or screen shotting in DS, I would import the image into (I prefer After Effects) Photoshop or similar, or Final Cut Pro or Premiere or whatever editor you use. Add two layers to the image or movie you want to edit. The top layer is in menu, effects, find edges or something like that and lower the opacity. The layer below that, also in effects, menu, effects, choose how you want to paint it, desaturate it. Let me know if I am on the right track or if you have any questions.
    Cloud City C3 T1 23m58s DLsd.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Urban SciFi C1 T2 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 549K
    DSC_0222 pencil.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    DSC_0222 pastel.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

kyoto kid said:

yessmiley 

kyoto kid said:

That's gorgeous, but no, the one I'm thining of was more toon. It may be that my aging grey cells (those that are left) is misrembering, but the one I'm thinking of was more cartoonish and the blaster she was carrying was almost half her body lenght. 

Barefoot Upto My Soul said:

wsterdan said:

I had an interesting accident last week with 3DL. I was just starting to set up some toon characters for OpenGL and 3DL -- my thoughts were to generate an animation usign OpenGL to test it (at about a second a frame for 1080p, it seems to be a great way to test a whole animation before rendering the final in 3DL). I was dropping a lot of the specularity to flatten things out a bit when DAZ Studio crashed (very, very rarely happens fo me, I think my 2012 iMac crashed a total of 11 times in 10 years, and seven of those crashes were due to the bug that crashes D|S if you hit command-R to do your renders). 

When I opened my file back up, it was broken; 3DL renders were beautifully rendered in very flat colours; if I could get a simple black line around the geometry, I would buy a plug-in or package for this effect. Rendering it in OpenGL gave a very weird, oddly-highlighted effect. 

For lighting, I was only using Omnifreaker UberEnvironment2; when the scene crashed, it broke the light. Deleting the light and adding it back in fixed everything, but now I want to find a way to break it again.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this flattened effect again (preferably with an outline) I'd love to hear it.

After rendering or screen shotting in DS, I would import the image into (I prefer After Effects) Photoshop or similar, or Final Cut Pro or Premiere or whatever editor you use. Add two layers to the image or movie you want to edit. The top layer is in menu, effects, find edges or something like that and lower the opacity. The layer below that, also in effects, menu, effects, choose how you want to paint it, desaturate it. Let me know if I am on the right track or if you have any questions.

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. I've done similar combinations, including running batched frames through Topaz Simply and Clean and I may do more of this in the future. For the flattened colour snapshot I showed, I have no idea how to get that again, but if I do, I won't "fix" the scene's lighting and follow through with your idea.

wsterdan said:

kyoto kid said:

That's gorgeous, but no, the one I'm thining of was more toon. It may be that my aging grey cells (those that are left) is misrembering, but the one I'm thinking of was more cartoonish and the blaster she was carrying was almost half her body lenght. 

...this is the only other one I have on the current system with a big gun.  May be on my old Toshiba Notebook as that has more older pics on it. I'll have to fire that up later tonight to see, 

vive la resistance .jpg
    850 x 850 - 755K

kyoto kid said:

wsterdan said:

kyoto kid said:

...this is the only other one I have on the current system with a big gun.  May be on my old Toshiba Notebook as that has more older pics on it. I'll have to fire that up later tonight to see, 

Also a very cool picture!

If you want to that would be fine, but no need if it's a hassle. It's just the picture I associate with your posts. I think it might have been a Shadowrun character, but again, it's many, many years ago. I  just thought it looked like pure fun. 

edited October 2022

...one more try.  An "oldie form an archive folder.

One of an urban fae from an old Shadowrun campaign of mine that took place in the UK based the original Sadie Fae.

urban fae.jpg
    768 x 768 - 265K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2022

kyoto kid said:

...one more try.  An "oldie form an archive folder.

One of an urban fae from an old Shadowrun campaign of mine that took place in the UK based the original Sadie Fae.

YES! That's the one I remember, thanks so much for taking the time to dig it out. To me, that just shouts "Fun". The look on her face is so perfect.

Out of curiosity, how old is that image?

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited October 2022

..guess third time is really a charm.

That was done in 2009 using Daz 2.3.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Thanks again; thirteen years, yikes!

I've viewed thousands of images here over the years, this is one of the three or four that "hooked" me. I don't know how much time you spent setting it up, but the character herself has stuck with me for over a decade and is the one I think of when I read "Kyoto Kid". You never know for sure what your viewers are going to connect with.

edited October 2022

...more skin and light experiments...(cropped version)

microdetail test c awe.png
    1325 x 1037 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Excellent! I love how the light is captured in different parts of the eyes, it suggests a little sadness in her contemplation.

wsterdan said:

Excellent! I love how the light is captured in different parts of the eyes, it suggests a little sadness in her contemplation.

Thank you:) 

..very nice , a long way from the old "rubber doll" look

Your input is much appreciated, kk! Feels like I still have so much to learn.. there are still properties in the aweSurface shader I haven't really looked into;) It's been a hell of a journey, trying to keep up with wowie's updates and changeslaugh. Btw, not sure it's over yet, rumours say there's an update in the pipeline...

edited October 2022

Edit: Need to fix  couple of things...

...an update? Interesting. 

• The lighting gives her a (I am having trouble remembering the word Sven but I think it is roundness) not flat. Very good.

Tks a lot, Barefoot! Yes, there's a lot of indirect (bounce) light hitting her from the floor and reflectors, contributing to the soft feel;) 

edited October 2022

...dForcetest...

DrapeTest g awe.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 6M

...I found dForce runs smoother and a bit quicker in 4.21 even on my old rig. 

kyoto kid said:

...I found dForce runs smoother and a bit quicker in 4.21 even on my old rig. 

Definitely more useful than before, I agree! 

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 525

Title: Universal Sacred Rite

Some form of this rite is performed in every temple.

Ha!

I love all the subtle reflections, very impressive. The materials are excellent.

nattaruk said:

Well done:) 

nattaruk said:

...that is great. 

edited November 2022

...latest...

dForce Tightfit.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M